Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    talos7 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    I'm currently watching season 1 of McMafia. I'm afraid I don't see James Norton as Bond. Not by a long shot.

He looks good in a dinner jacket and has the build, but as I expected (based on seeing him last year in Flatliners) he doesn't have the screen charisma required to hold the screen in my view. Distinctly pedestrian.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that his name has even come up in the media.

+1 Not a drop of charisma.

As far as his name coming up, he was spotted in a tuxedo; that seems to be a sole qualifier for anyone.

He's a plank of wood. Just no.
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg
    Need to rewatch The Great Train Robbery at some point. Luke Evans did a good performance, there.

Evans is a missed opportunity. He looks tough, but can be charming at the same time. And he's Welsh, which is a bonus.

And he's not to big of a name, like many others. Come to think of it, there are several names mentioned that would be in the right age group to take on the role now, hadn't Craig signed on for a last one. Recasting the role in a few years will be a difficult job!

I don't think it will be difficult, but certainly overdue.

We can only hope they have a list with a few names in the right age group. They really should be thinking about the next actor eventually.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg
    Need to rewatch The Great Train Robbery at some point. Luke Evans did a good performance, there.

He was great in it, but... I can't say I see him as Bond.

Only shows how different we view the potential candidates on this thread. Only Fassbender seems to be the one that most of us would like to see as Bond!

Fassbender would be a great Bond. Talented, charismatic, good range, good voice, good look.
    As much as I agree with a lot of your sentiments @suavejmf, how does German-born Irishman Fassbender fit into your "not British enough" for the role of Bond?
    bondsum wrote: »
    As much as I agree with a lot of your sentiments @suavejmf, how does German-born Irishman Fassbender fit into your "not British enough" for the role of Bond?

For me Fassbender is just too Magneto as well as too old now.

Agreed.
    The age element is a factor,plus I don't think he is particularly interested in the role,IIRC.

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I think Hardy could do a good trilogy with Nolan (he isn't too old for 3 movies), otherwise Aidan Turner is my preferred choice. Nothing about the other candidates really excited me, but I admit it is fun to throw names around.
    barryt007 wrote: »

Agreed.
    The age element is a factor,plus I don't think he is particularly interested in the role,IIRC.

And I think they should keep away from superhero associations as much as possible.

Because he is technically Irish and thus British by heritage.....despite where he was born. Hemsworth as an example is an out an out Ozzie.....who IMO have no connection to us Brits anymore.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    David Niven was born in India. Nobody calls him an Indian actor.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I don't care where these folks are born, as long as they do a good job. As Craig famously and colourfully said about his possible successors; "Just don't be s#!#"
    Well the actor should also have a convincing and seemingly natural British accent. Which would eliminate American actors and many Canadian ones (rightly so IMO).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Well the actor should also have a convincing and seemingly natural British accent. Which would eliminate American actors and many Canadian ones (rightly so IMO).
    I wouldn't eliminate on the basis of nationality. As long as they can do the job I'm open to a screentest at least. Of course that includes delivering a convincing accent.

Cary Grant was American (of English extraction) and could have done Bond in his sleep. I thought John Lithgow was English for years, after seeing him ham it up brilliantly as a crude Brit in Cliffhanger. So it can be done.

EDIT: I realize this is facetious, but I found Myers more convincing than Brozza when it came to the accent at times.
    Exceptions that confirm the rule. Rare exceptions even.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    While on the subject, how about Jonathan Hillerman, Higgins on Magnum PI? I was shocked to find out he was from Houston TX. How was his accent ? To my Yank ears it was pretty good.
    Pretty good is not good enough. And why oh why take the risk?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Simply put: Bond cannot be played by an American, as the Yanks have stolen enough European heritage and history for their own glory. The Americanisation has to stop somewhere.
    Add directors to that as well.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,356
    Can only imagine a Bond with an imperfect British accent. Easy for us with English as a second language and non-British people to not notice the slight nuances in pronunciations, etc.

It's like when I stumbled upon the tv series Bones some years ago, and heard Emily Deschanel trying to say the word "skalle" (skull) in Norwegian. That was just horrible to watch.
    edited March 2018 Posts: 45,489
    This post has been removed by @NicNac
    Can you use that word…?
    Anyway, the actor referred to, did actually pronounce it better. A British viewer will no doubt react the same way as I did to that scene, if Bond's English is nothing but perfect.
    Can you use that word…?
    Anyway, the actor referred to, did actually pronounce it better. A British viewer will no doubt react the same way if Bond's english is nothing but perfect.

It is the other n word that is derogatory.
    But can she do a perfect English accent? :D
    She did play a spy in a recent film, didn't she?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    "While Charlize Theron seems flattered that fans are hoping she'll get a license to kill[snip]."

235.gif

Does anyone want to see a slightly out of shape male Wonderwoman from Wales? Because I am right here, waiting to be cast.
    "While Charlize Theron seems flattered that fans are hoping she'll get a license to kill[snip]."

235.gif

Does anyone want to see a slightly out of shape male Wonderwoman from Wales? Because I am right here, waiting to be cast.

:)) :)) :))
    Where are you from? When are you from?

Not knocking you in particular but can we not even give stuff like this the time of day? We know it's stupid and will never happen. No point feeding into it really, I'd rather read actual suggestions.
    What's amusing is the tons of gullible people who casually glance at an article like that and believe Theron may well be the next James Bond.
    Every time some acquaintance asks me if Bond is going to be played by a female after Craig or played by Elba, I really could string them along, and they would believe it.
    Yet if one were to say Gal Gadot is being replaced as Wonder Woman by Daniel Craig, it would be looked at as a joke.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    Can you use that word…?
    Anyway, the actor referred to, did actually pronounce it better. A British viewer will no doubt react the same way if Bond's english is nothing but perfect.

It is the other n word that is derogatory.

Sorry but the word is considered offensive and I believe illegal in the USA. I’m willing to be corrected on that.
    Either way we can’t accept it here.