Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

His father would have been a great Bond, that's for sure!
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg
    Need to rewatch The Great Train Robbery at some point. Luke Evans did a good performance, there.

Evans is a missed opportunity. He looks tough, but can be charming at the same time. And he's Welsh, which is a bonus.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    He hasn't really impressed me in anything I've seen him in except High Rise.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I guess this discussion is a bit mute if they end up taking a 5 year break between Bond 25 and Bond 26, as that would mean the next Bond would be hired in 2023 and the film would be released in 2024. But, something tells me they won't want to miss the 60th anniversary, so the ideal candidate would be between 32 - 36 at the moment.
    I guess this discussion is a bit mute if they end up taking a 5 year break between Bond 25 and Bond 26, as that would mean the next Bond would be hired in 2023 and the film would be released in 2024. But, something tells me they won't want to miss the 60th anniversary, so the ideal candidate would be between 32 - 36 at the moment.
    True, but then again they've missed anniversaries before. Perhaps they'll miss the 60th too?

I find it quite telling that even today there are lots of articles speculating on a new Bond (one year before a new film comes out with a returning actor). It says a lot.
    I find the articles that speculate on the next Bond pointless. It seems the gap between films when a new actor is cast is doubled or more. If four years between films is the norm, then I'd expect B26 to not be released before 2027.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I find the articles that speculate on the next Bond pointless. It seems the gap between films when a new actor is cast is doubled or more. If four years between films is the norm, then I'd expect B26 to not be released before 2027.
    That's also true, but the fact remains that the articles are out there, and are being released at quite a regular rate. The beast is being fed.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

Would they really want to unveil the new actor for the 60th anniversary? That would have to put added pressure on top of introducing the new Bond.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 8,194

Would they really want to unveil the new actor for the 60th anniversary? That would have to put added pressure on top of introducing the new Bond.

Yes, I think it will actually help to build hype.

3:-O

They did for Dalton (25th) so there is a precedent.
    I suppose it's down to what kind of distribution deal occurs, and how burnt out EON is after this next film.
    I'd love to see a 60th anniversary film with a new Bond. What I'd like even more, is a film in 2021 instead. Then 2023, 2025, etc

bondjames wrote: »

Good point actually, maybe they aren't worried about that pressure.

I don't think they made a big deal out of it being the 25th anniversary though (someone can correct me).

If they release one for the 60th, they may do the same thing (i.e. focus on the new actor and even a big name director rather than the pure anniversary element). That could take some of the pressure off.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    I suppose it's down to what kind of distribution deal occurs, and how burnt out EON is after this next film.
    I'd love to see a 60th anniversary film with a new Bond. What I'd like even more, is a film in 2021 instead. Then 2023, 2025, etc

2022 just seems right to me. Plus, they know from the outset this time that Craig isn't coming back, so they have to get their heads in gear.

And they just had a four year gap already.
    3:-O
    edited February 2018 Posts: 13,912

I don't think they made a big deal out of it being the 25th anniversary though (someone can correct me).

If they release one for the 60th, they may do the same thing (i.e. focus on the new actor and even a big name director rather than the pure anniversary element). That could take some of the pressure off.

From what I can tell, there was a 25th anniversary documentary look back at the series past, and ahead to the forthcoming TLD, hosted by Roger Moore.
    Much of the publicity marketing was focused on TLD being the 25th anniversary and a new actor in the role. Pretty much every article or interview mentioned it.
    Ok thanks. So it was something they focused on then.

Interesting that Barry called it quits after that film too, and then LTK was the start of something entirely new (approach etc.).

Something similar happened after the 40th. Pity it it didn't happen after the 50th too.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,373
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg
    Need to rewatch The Great Train Robbery at some point. Luke Evans did a good performance, there.

Evans is a missed opportunity. He looks tough, but can be charming at the same time. And he's Welsh, which is a bonus.

And he's not to big of a name, like many others. Come to think of it, there are several names mentioned that would be in the right age group to take on the role now, hadn't Craig signed on for a last one. Recasting the role in a few years will be a difficult job!
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Interesting that Barry called it quits after that film too, and then LTK was the start of something entirely new (approach etc.).

Something similar happened after the 40th. Pity it it didn't happen after the 50th too.

Barry had to pass on LTK, because he was sick.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883

Barry had to pass on LTK, because he was sick.
    Ok, thanks. Still, it seemed fitting because he featured at the end of TLD, almost like he expected it to be his last even if he hadn't officially announced it.

Something similarly coincidental happened with Desmond in TWINE.
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

And he's not to big of a name, like many others. Come to think of it, there are several names mentioned that would be in the right age group to take on the role now, hadn't Craig signed on for a last one. Recasting the role in a few years will be a difficult job!

I don't think it will be difficult, but certainly overdue.
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

He was great in it, but... I can't say I see him as Bond.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm currently watching season 1 of McMafia. I'm afraid I don't see James Norton as Bond. Not by a long shot.

He looks good in a dinner jacket and has the build, but as I expected (based on seeing him last year in Flatliners) he doesn't have the screen charisma required to hold the screen in my view. Distinctly pedestrian.

Quite frankly, I'm surprised that his name has even come up in the media.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I'm currently watching season 1 of McMafia. I'm afraid I don't see James Norton as Bond. Not by a long shot.

He looks good in a dinner jacket and has the build, but as I expected (based on seeing him last year in Flatliners) he doesn't have the screen charisma required to hold the screen in my view. Distinctly pedestrian.

+1 Not a drop of charisma.

As far as his name coming up, he was spotted in a tuxedo; that seems to be a sole qualifier for anyone.

talos7 wrote: »

+1 Not a drop of charisma.

As far as his name coming up, he was spotted in a tuxedo; that seems to be a sole qualifier for anyone.

That's pretty much the argument for 99% of the actors mentioned for potential Bond.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,373
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

We can only hope they have a list with a few names in the right age group. They really should be thinking about the next actor eventually.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

He was great in it, but... I can't say I see him as Bond.

Only shows how different we view the potential candidates on this thread. Only Fassbender seems to be the one that most of us would like to see as Bond!
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

We can only hope they have a list with a few names in the right age group. They really should be thinking about the next actor eventually.
    I wouldn't be surprised if they're closer to a replacement than we know. Craig had them biting through their fingernails for over a year and any prudent operation would have looked at alternatives as a backup.
    greattrainrobbery-01.jpg

I wouldn't be surprised if they're closer to a replacement than we know. Craig had them biting through their fingernails for over a year and any prudent operation would have looked at alternatives as a backup.

This was what I was thinking, too. And the gap between each movie should give time to take note of a few names, if anything!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I've been keeping an eye on Harry Lloyd. 34. He has a bit of a cruel rakishness to him. Great-great-great-grandson of Charles Dickens and Eton educated (like Hiddleston and Bond) so he has pedigree. He's a bit youngish looking but could mature nicely.

I'm not sure however if he would pass @bondsum's requirements for testosterone levels.
    Yes, I checked out Harry Lloyd a year ago and you're correct in your assumption that he falls short of my own testosterone level requirements. I agree that he does look quite good in certain shots, though not the example you posted on the previous page, whereupon he looks more like singer Marc Almond than he does Bond. Having watched Mr. Lloyd in a number of things, I felt that his voice was too light, perhaps even whiny, and not commanding enough for the role.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    bondsum wrote: »
    I've been keeping an eye on Harry Lloyd. 34. He has a bit of a cruel rakishness to him. Great-great-great-grandson of Charles Dickens and Eton educated (like Hiddleston and Bond) so he has pedigree. He's a bit youngish looking but could mature nicely.

I'm not sure however if he would pass @bondsum's requirements for testosterone levels.
    Yes, I checked out Harry Lloyd a year ago and you're correct in your assumption that he falls short of my own testosterone level requirements. I agree that he does look quite good in certain shots, though not the example you posted on the previous page, whereupon he looks more like singer Marc Almond than he does Bond. Having watched Mr. Lloyd in a number of things, I felt that his voice was too light, perhaps even whiny, and not commanding enough for the role.

Agreed Bonsum, on all counts.