Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited February 2018 Posts: 12,837
    Ludovico wrote: »
    That's a bit... No.
    Especially with that hairdo.

Especially with that face!

Bit harsh. I wouldn't call him classically handsome but if you go on twitter while Peaky Blinders is on a lot of women seem to find him irresistable.

To be honest I'm not sure he has the look either but I think he could be an interesting choice. Very talented actor and manages the tough/dangerous side and that effortlessly cool Connery esque presence/charisma very well in Peaky Blinders (also the only man who can make having a fag look as cool as Connery did, quit years ago but that show does test me sometimes). That's something I haven't really seen in many of the other names put forward so far.

I'd certainly rather someone like him than the Maddens, Turners and Hughes' of the world and I'd even take him over some of the bigger suggested names like Hiddleston.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 17,389
    Cillian Murphy is 41, which is a factor - but he could still pass for a 36-38 year old Bond, if needed. I feel like casting Murphy would either work well (as he is a fantastic actor), or not work at all (meaning he doesn't push the right "Bond-buttons").

Would be a very different Bond from Craig, that's for sure!
    Cillian Murphy looks, how shall I put it delicately? Odd looking. And yes, he's far too old already at 41. So by the time Bond 26 eventually cranks into production, he'll probably be 45 or 46! Hardly a suitable age to start your Bond tenure at.

Eon needs to find its own Chris Hemsworth, who currently at 34, at least looks mature and masculine enough to pass off as a seasoned agent. I keep saying it, Eon needs to go young again. So long as they avoid fay actors like Hiddleston and James Norton and find someone with some testosterone, they will be on to a winner.
    bondjames wrote: »
    That's a bit... No.
    Especially with that hairdo.

Especially with that face!
    Now now. It's not like the current occupant is winning any plaudits on that front as of the moment either.

I agree that Murphy is not the man for Bond. Too slight.

At the moment. Age is what's catching up with Daniel Craig. But Cillian Murphy always had an ophidian face that fitted a villain, not Bond. You don't start a Bond tenure with a face like that. Whatever your age.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Hemsworth is my #1 choice at the moment; he’s got everything the role requires and has matured as an actor to where he has transcended his “surfer dude” roots. He’s physically imposing and has loads of charm.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Tomorrow it will turn out that Elvis Presley faked his death, will be coming out of hiding and will return to motion picture acting at the age of 83 to replace Craig as 007.

The first Bond who can sing his own title song!

talos7 wrote: »
    Hemsworth is my #1 choice at the moment; he’s got everything the role requires and has matured as an actor to where he has transcended his “surfer dude” roots. He’s physically imposing and has loads of charm.
    Looking at some of the other candidates put forward here, I'm in total agreement.
    Still think Hemsworth is too much of a "surfer dude" type, even by his looks.
    That's called stereotyping, @Torgeirtrap. Admittedly, he does surf at Byron Bay in Australia, so the surfing mantle is half-right. I tend to associate "surfer dudes" as airhead, pot-smoking beefcakes rather than their sporting, athletic counterparts. I think Hemsworth has proven that he's above just being labelled a beefcake.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I don’t think he’s a very good actor so no... he does look the part though
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Big no to Hemsworth.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I didn't realise that you were a member of The Broadcast Film Critics Association, @JamesBondKenya. Who else don't you think can't act then?

Out of curiosity, have you seen Chris Hemsworth in Rush?
    I'd cast Chris Hemsworth as He-Man/ Prince Adam of Eternia before Bond.
    However, I haven't seen him in anything that suggests a Bond like role, so one never knows.
    He would be Brosnan 2.
    Surely, no one can be that pedestrian, @Thunderfinger?
    He might try.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    Cilian Murphy is unconventional looking. He looks like he would be in the running for the next Doctor, not Bond.
    Ha ha. That made me smile. Good one, sir.
    bondsum wrote: »
    That's called stereotyping, @Torgeirtrap. Admittedly, he does surf at Byron Bay in Australia, so the surfing mantle is half-right. I tend to associate "surfer dudes" as airhead, pot-smoking beefcakes rather than their sporting, athletic counterparts. I think Hemsworth has proven that he's above just being labelled a beefcake.

Not trying to stereotype because of him being Australian or anything, but to me he looks more the type to be cast in a Point Break sort of film, rather than a Bond film.

Would actually rather see Cillian Murphy as Bond than Hemsworth, if one had to choose between those two.
    So unless Hemsworth is in a surfing movie, he's completely miscast then?

Not trying to stereotype because of him being Australian or anything, but to me he looks more the type to be cast in a Point Break sort of film, rather than a Bond film.

I was going to comically comment he'd be like casting either Keanu or Patrick Swayze from POINT BREAK.
    I think we probably had enough of Bond surfing in DAD.
    So unless Hemsworth is in a surfing movie, he's completely miscast then?

No, that's not the point I'm trying to make. I just don't see him as Bond. As an athletic character in any other action film, sure - as a British spy, no. Too much of a poster boy style to him, I think. One could argue the same goes for the likes of Turner.
    He would be a fit in AVTAK or DAD.
    He would be Brosnan 2.
    He would bring much more physicality than Brosnan.
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 15,907
    I am wondering what roles he's done that shout "James Bond"?

With Craig, all I had to do was watch Layer Cake and I could immediately see it. If one is going on Hemsworth's Thor performances, I'm afraid I don't understand. To me it's like looking at Gary Oldman in Bram Stoker's Dracula and advocating him to be the new 007 (if this were 1994).
    I don't think that it's prerequisite that an actor must have played a Bond-type role in a movie before being cast as 007. Roger Moore's The Saint wasn't particularly anything like Bond, nor was Dalton in Flash Gordon or Pierce Brosnan in Remington Steele.
    What had Connery done prior to being cast that shouted “Bond”?
    I'm judging Him mainly on his very charismatic performance in the latest Thor,, 12 Strong and several interviews he’s given . He also has a good , deep voice, something most actors of today lack.
    In the end, It’s not a requirement to have done a role that is Bond-like to be considered
    I can't argue with your assessment @talos7. He's got a good deep voice and is 6′ 3″ and is still young by Bond actor standards. If it isn't Hemsworth, then it needs to be someone very much like him.
  • Didn't read all the thread, but Sam Haughan could make an awesome Bond. He is a good actor, handsome, has sexy appeal and is charismatic.

sam007.jpg

I'd like a black Bond, but i think it's not the time for it now. After Craig era I think the should return the suave and more "traditionally" looking bond.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    I don't know, he still comes over a bit too much happy-go-lucky, but in the Hugo Boss commercial he comes closer to a 'Bond' performance.