Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    bondsum wrote: »
    I didn't realise that you were a member of The Broadcast Film Critics Association, @JamesBondKenya. Who else don't you think can't act then?

Out of curiosity, have you seen Chris Hemsworth in Rush?

Ironically I was referring to Cilian Murphy
    Sorry about the mix up.
    Though Hemsworth also can’t be bond because he’s too strong and too Australian
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 3,333
    That's like saying Connery can't play Bond because he was an ex-body builder and he's too Scottish, @JamesBondKenya.

Sam Heughan is about to appear in The Spy Who Dumped Me which might fit those that think it's a prerequisite that an actor must have made a Bond-like appearance in a movie before being cast as 007.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I don't know, he still comes over a bit too much happy-go-lucky, but in the Hugo Boss commercial he comes closer to a 'Bond' performance.

He has the right look and demonstrated excellent comedic timing in Thor: Ragnarok. However, I'm yet to be convinced that he has the dramatic chops for the role. Why is that important, one might ask? Well, it does seem to be the direction that Broccoli is determined to take the series in. So unless she's willing to do a bit of a 180 after Craig, I'm not sure if Hemsworth will fit her bill.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The right look for Thor perhaps, not Bond.
    Dramatic chops? Bond is Fleming, not Harold Pinter or Brecht. Hopefully, Broccoli will steer it away from trying to be a second-rate thinking-man's John le Carré and reinstate a lot of the Fleming flavour that's been exorcised from the series. Fingers crossed. If the rumours are true and Danny Boyle is putting together a Bond 25 script, then at least he understands the source material having been a huge fan himself when younger.
    If Hemsworth is Bond # 7 I could sling with it personally I prefer Hardy or Hiddleston but to have a successful Australian Bond would be good (too soon Lazenby fans?)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I still can't see Hemsworth as Bond. He's the "surfer dude" type, not Bond.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Dramatic chops? Bond is Fleming, not Harold Pinter or Brecht. Hopefully, Broccoli will steer it away from trying to be a second-rate thinking-man's John le Carré and reinstate a lot of the Fleming flavour that's been exorcised from the series. Fingers crossed. If the rumours are true and Danny Boyle is putting together a Bond 25 script, then at least he understands the source material having been a huge fan himself when younger.
    This is the key point which doesn't work in his favour. Broccoli may continue to have dramatic delusions. One hopes that's over and done with once the Craig era ends.
    Whatever the approach they may take in the future, surely it's better to have a capable actor than a limited/mediocre one. Whatever we think of the Roger Moore era and the way he played Bond, he had far more range as an actor than we credit him for.
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Whatever the approach they may take in the future, surely it's better to have a capable actor than a limited/mediocre one. Whatever we think of the Roger Moore era and the way he played Bond, he had far more range as an actor than we credit him for.
    I fully agree. I realize some have an issue with his approach, but he was versatile and allowed the film makers flexibility to make any sort of film they wanted to. FYEO is quite different from MR tonally and they both work imho.
    I'm not so sure @Ludovico. I think finding a would-be "movie star" is far more preferable to that of having a serious "artist" in the role of Bond. I guess it all depends on one's notion of what a movie star is and what an artist is. Both of them act, obviously, but one of them does it as an art form and the other does it by bringing their own brand of charisma to the fore. Of course, that doesn't mean I want an actor that can't act in the role. Then again, that doesn't mean I would have rather seen Richard Burton over Sean Connery in the original role, either. Nor would I have taken Edward Fox over Roger Moore in the 70s.
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I would rather not have a retread of the Brosnan years, and fear that is the possible result of attempting to go the purely 'movie-star' route. It's important that an actor has some range in order to deliver on the subtleties of being James Bond. It's a bit of a straight jacketed role in some ways, and so one has to be able to convey emotion, danger, humour and menace without overdoing it. That takes acting skill. Having said that, charisma is very important too.
    If you don't take acting as an art form then I am not sure you can be serious about it as work. Even if you're a limited actor.

Of course he's got to have the look, but he needs to substantiate it. Of all the potential Bond actors, I want the best possible actor.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    bondjames wrote: »
    I would rather not have a retread of the Brosnan years, and fear that is the possible result of attempting to go the purely 'movie-star' route. It's important that an actor has some range in order to deliver on the subtleties of being James Bond. It's a bit of a straight jacketed role in some ways, and so one has to be able to convey emotion, danger, humour and menace without overdoing it. That takes acting skill. Having said that, charisma is very important too.

This is why I've always thought Jackman would have been a fantastic Bond. He is one of the few actors who can, with equal skill, do light, charming and humorous but can also handle action and if needed be even more brutal than Craig.

talos7 wrote: »
    This is why I've always thought Jackman would have been a fantastic Bond. He is one of the few actors who can, with equal skill, do light, charming and humorous but can also handle action and if needed be even more brutal than Craig.
    +1. Precisely.
    talos7 wrote: »
    +1. Precisely.
    +2. I think Jackman could have been good. He definitely has the look and can act.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator

I made a similar comment a few days ago. No offense is intended to Austrialians, it's just the image that Helmsworth has.

Brosnan could be carried by a good project but could not carry a bad one. Too many actors mentioned here seem to have the same liability.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

I made a similar comment a few days ago. No offense is intended to Austrialians, it's just the image that Helmsworth has.

I think the guy radiates it, even in the Boss commercial i posted earlier. I like th guy, I like his acting, and he does have good looks, but not in the Bond-way. And personally I love surfing, it's certainly not a disqualification.

I think the guy radiates it, even in the Boss commercial i posted earlier. I like th guy, I like his acting, and he does have good looks, but not in the Bond-way. And personally I love surfing, it's certainly not a disqualification.
    I agree. Well if he is cast perhaps they can finally redeem the humiliation of DAD with an actual non-CGI surf action sequence for his first film!
  • edited February 2018 Posts: 4,602
    There is some "Bondness" going on here: "Hunt..James Hunt" "Only what she asked me to do"

• talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yep, he deserves an official screen test.
    He has a lightness of touch that DC lacks so he could take Bond into a new direction. His biggest issue is that he is too big a star already IMHO
    edited February 2018 Posts: 23,883
    patb wrote: »
    He has a lightness of touch that DC lacks....
    That he most certainly does. Unfortunately, when I've seen him try to be dramatic in the Thor series I'm somewhat uncomfortably reminded of Brosnan at his worst. This is again what I believe works against him. I don't think Broccoli will hire someone with this sort of limitation (imho) again.

Exactly. Similar to how Sylvester Stallone has the right look for Rambo and not not Bond.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    Exactly. Similar to how Sylvester Stallone has the right look for Rambo and not not Bond.
    https://en.mediamass.net/people/sylvester-stallone/james-bond.html
    Stallone would be a better Bond than Dredd.
    "Yo Adrian. My name is Barned. Jamews Barned."
    He would be better than Brosnan, even now.
    He would be better than Brosnan, even now.
    ...who himself was better than Craig. And still is. ;)