Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    If DC isn't back @bondjames, the search would be on in earnest, not a few bookies saying this or that; it's great publicity, and gets everyone talking.

There's only one reason why there's been no announcement regarding the search for a new 007. It's because DC is the man in the tux.

On top of that, if the powers that be know that DC is truly gone, why start a script? What's the rush to get one going?

If you know you're re-casting, why not announce this, do the search, choose the fella, and build a script/story around that actor's strengths?

Why bother getting a script going now if not to get it in the hands of the actor playing Bond, Daniel Craig?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    @peter, I was reading some comments on another site a few days back from early 2004, when Brosnan's negotiations with EON were ongoing. I came across it by accident and found the thread interesting, and so read it.

It truly was fascinating to retrospectively see what people were saying, thinking and assuming back then. The status quo was the adamant prevailing view.

Over the years, I have read comments about actors being under consideration after the fact, but not knowing about it at the time.

We will know when we know. EON doesn't announce anything until it's confirmed. They have been remarkably quiet of late, about anything.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Yes, the status quo is an easy trap for all of us. We forget that, especially with Bond, major changes always sneak up. They aren't announced 5 years in advance, so we are ready. I'm sure lots of fans in 1990 thought they were in for another 2 or 3 dalton films, or that fans fully expected Brosnan would return in 2005.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Correct me if I'm wrong @bondjames, didn't we know that Brosnan wasn't coming back in '05?

And then we heard all about the search for the new actor? The likes of front runner Clive; Hugh and that Croatian fellow from ER (I think?), and; the day on the Thames when DC was announced.

Didn't we know as it was happening?: Brosnan got the boot, the search was on, DC was introduced? Didn't we know as close to "real-time" as is available to the general public?

Just because things are quiet, doesn't make a changing of the guard necessary.

There is a distribution hang up. So there is a pause in production. But I think the relationship Babs has with DC is truly unique and one built on loyalty. She didn't produce Othello as a vanity project, but as a gift to her leading man.

We know a script is being written, and, yes, my own presumption, with an idea that these writers are familiar enough with DC to execute something that showcases his strengths, rather than writing blind for an actor to be yet determined.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    The relationship between Barbara and Daniel seems as great as the relationship between Cubby and Roger or Timothy.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    The relationship between Barbara and Daniel seems as great as the relationship between Cubby and Roger or Timothy.

Not inseparable then.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    @peter, I'm not saying a grand search is on. This is not 2005.

I was referring to 2004, when Brosnan was still the incumbent Bond, but he was negotiating with EON about coming back. The assumption at that time was that he was a shoo-in. Look how that turned out shortly thereafter.

I have no doubt that actors have been screen tested in the last 2 years. We will hear about it at some point in the future, as we normally do.

Indeed we do have a distribution hang up. We could have been in Chinese hands by now, and who knows who will end up distributing, and what they will want out of this. There are complex negotiations afoot, and those will have significant implications for the future.

P&W (not confirmed btw) cuts both ways. They could be back because they can readily fashion something that is sellable to those involved in those negotiations, including a long term multi-film vision for the character. Hence their comments about how difficult it is to craft a Bond story within the current geopolitical environment.

As I said earlier, I have a feeling there is a bit of internal politics at play as well, based on what I've read, including from the actors and others who should have some knowledge.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I see Sam Riley's name being tossed about as a possible Bond; my only thought is, NO.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,131
    Evans isn t right for Bond, but that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. That isn t really interesting.

Cubby was worried about Lazenby's sexual orientation being a former male model and he was annoyed 'brandwise' when he grew a beard off screen. Evans is a decent actor and would make a good Bond. BUT the producers/ studio will never give the role to an openly gay actor. No chance.
    Dougray Scott WOULD have made a good Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Dougray Scott WOULD have made a good Bond.
    Agreed.
    Evans isn t right for Bond, but that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. That isn t really interesting.

Cubby was worried about Lazenby's sexual orientation being a former male model and he was annoyed 'brandwise' when he grew a beard off screen. Evans is a decent actor and would make a good Bond. BUT the producers/ studio will never give the role to an openly gay actor. No chance.
    At least it will shut the PC brigade up for a decade or so, and I'd rather a gay actor with some macho attributes like Evans than some of the other suggestions, including Jane Bond.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Aidan Turner

*ducksandrunsaway
    bondjames wrote: »

At least it will shut the PC brigade up for a decade or so, and I'd rather a gay actor with some macho attributes like Evans than some of the other suggestions, including Jane Bond.

I'd rather a gay actor with some macho attributes like Evans than some of the other suggestions, including any suggestion of a none white Brit Bond.
    bondjames wrote: »

I'd rather a gay actor with some macho attributes like Evans than some of the other suggestions, including any suggestion of a none white none Brit Bond.

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Sexual orientation is irrelevant to me; if they'd make a great Bond and they're interested, cast them.
    Wasn't Brosnan out when they decided to do CR but not before?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    Sexual orientation is irrelevant to me; if they'd make a great Bond and they're interested, cast them.

talos7 wrote: »

Why, though? It assumes a gay actor couldn't play a heterosexual role. Neil Patrick Harris is gay and he's a believable womanizer in just about every role I've seen him in.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 5,131
    It depends. Evans' could certainly pull off Bond, definitely. On the other hand, Rupert Everett wanted to be Bond, but he's a raving queen......and always comes across as slightly camp. Neil Patrick Harris is bad example too. Allegedly, Cary Grant was gay.....and yes you can't tell there though....a very convincing womaniser.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 9,020
    I couldn't care less if the next actor is gay, belongs to the Labour party or is a Muslim.

As long as he looks the part...tall, dark hair...and knows Fleming's work (or is willing to study it) it will be alright. AND is British.

As for Neil Patrick Harris... :lol: I adore him, but if he was Bond I'd always expect him to suddenly start singing :wink:
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I'm pretty sure he could do a killer "underneath the mango tree".
    eat this

Possible Bond Hugh Jackman and Neil singing their hearts out. Bloody brilliant!!

The singing starts at 01:30

I couldn't care less if the next actor is gay (as long he could act straight convincingly).

An actor who belongs to the Labour party (a tad anti Bond in my book......Bond's not Blue Collar....) but yes who cares. Connery was working class.

A Muslim.....unlikely to be a white Brit, so no.

As for Neil Patrick Harris... he's ok, but if he was Bond I'd always expect him to suddenly start singing too....because he's camp! ;)...not to mention no chance because he's not a Brit.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    It depends. Evans' could certainly pull off Bond, definitely. On the other hand, Rupert Everett wanted to be Bond, but he's a raving queen......and always comes across as slightly camp. Neil Patrick Harris is bad example too. Allegedly, Cary Grant was gay.....and yes you can't tell there though....a very convincing womaniser.
    Cary Grant was not gay. There have been rumours and whatnot just as there were rumours about James Dean, but they're nothing beyond. Grant's daughter has had silenced those rumours a long ago.
    No no no, definitely wasn't promoting Neil Patrick Harris to the possibility of Bond whatsoever; was merely stating that he plays a very convincing straight man.
    Tom hardy he is essentially Connery from 1962 but in 2017
    Cary Grant was not gay. There have been rumours and whatnot just as there were rumours about James Dean, but they're nothing beyond. Grant's daughter has had silenced those rumours a long ago.

Mmmm. I find it hard to believe too. But other sources say different. Of course his daughter would deny it. Noone will ever know. James Dean allegedly was not gay, but experimented and gave out sexual favours to advance his career. Once again we'll never know. Both classic actors though.
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Tom hardy he is essentially Connery from 1962 but in 2017

Minus 6 inches in height.
    No no no, definitely wasn't promoting Neil Patrick Harris to the possibility of Bond whatsoever; was merely stating that he plays a very convincing straight man.

I know you were Creasy. I'm not convinced personally though.