Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

bondjames wrote: »
    The one of his generation who still is the best for this role is Christian Bale. He's just about 5-6 years too old and of course could never get it due to Batman. He is the one that got away as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think he's too old really. He may be 43 or whatever, but to me he doesn't look that much older now than he did in Batman Begins. In fact I'd say he looks more Bond appropriate now. If he were one of the countless names mentioned as a possibility to replace Craig I'd put him towards the top of my list.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The one of his generation who still is the best for this role is Christian Bale. He's just about 5-6 years too old and of course could never get it due to Batman. He is the one that got away as far as I'm concerned.

I don't think he's too old really. He may be 43 or whatever, but to me he doesn't look that much older now than he did in Batman Begins. In fact I'd say he looks more Bond appropriate now. If he were one of the countless names mentioned as a possibility to replace Craig I'd put him towards the top of my list.
    I agree that in terms of pure age he's probably just about right for it, but he won't get it due to Batman. Moreover, with the length of time it takes to churn these out these days, it's better if they go younger. Regarding Bale: I'd go so far as to say he would have been a better Bond than Wayne. He screams Bond whenever he's in those scenes with Alfred, Fox or any of the women (especially Miranda and Selina).
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I agree that in terms of pure age he's probably just about right for it, but he won't get it due to Batman. Moreover, with the length of time it takes to churn these out these days, it's better if they go younger. Regarding Bale: I'd go so far as to say he would have been a better Bond than Wayne. He screams Bond whenever he's in those scenes with Alfred, Fox or any of the women (especially Miranda and Selina).

True. I can't picture and don't really want to picture a Bond actor known for 2 major film franchises. Might lessen the value, IMO.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    One of the downsides of a realistic Bond is that they are always making an effort to portray him as sympathetically as possible. IMO, Bond works best when you are never 100 percent sure whether he is acting in the greater good, or pursuing his own desires. He is just another player in "the game", after all, and we should have doubts of him, just like the other characters in the story. Too me that's a far more realistic interpretation of espionage than what we see in the Craig era, with everyone running around like headless chickens, corrupt officials, moronic Prime Minister, etc. Then Bond emerging from the mist like a angelic character and solving everything.

I'm not saying that Bond shouldn't be heroic, but if you remove self-preservation entirely then there is no fundamental tension at the heart of the character. There has always got to be the risk that the very nature of being a spy has the potential to corrupt him. But at the end of the day, he is still the "best bet" in this business known as international espionage, and that's why he is Bond. That's an idea that they really have to address soon - the idea that Bond is subject to the sames temptations of the Bond girl, Bond Villain and Allies.
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    I'd be sold on Bale. Never on Turner.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Agreed @suavejmf.
  • QuantumOrganizationQuantumOrganization We have people everywhere
    Christian Bale
    Hugh Jackman
    I think Daniel Craig is getting too old but I'm so far so unconvinced by his potential successors that I hope he does one more.
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    given we won't see the next Bond film until 2019 at the earliest.

Why not?

Well okay, it's still possible. Like successfully navigating an asteroid field is possible.

If Harrison Ford could, so can EON.

Even asteroids can
    https://phys.org/news/2017-03-wrong-way-asteroid-chicken-jupiter.html
    suavejmf wrote: »
    Too short.

According to imdb he's only 1 inch shorter than dc.

Do you think that's too short still ?

• edited April 2017 Posts: 3,279
    Here is where the problem lies in the script development for Bond 25. Why are P&W in such a tizz about the political landscape now that this hinders their ideas for the next film?

When Maibaum set out to adapt or write Dr. No, FRWL, GF, TB, OHMSS, FYEO and LTK, was the direction from Cubby to mainly focus on the political landscape, or was it to focus on Ian Fleming?

No prizes for guessing it is the latter, and which makes my blood boil at the way Bond films have been produced since Cubby's death - shying away from the untapped material and focusing on new ideas which are mostly awful.

Fair enough, keep it relevant to modern times and styles. The Bond films have always done that, and this can be worked into the script too, but the focus should be on Fleming first and foremost, and then work in some relevant political ideas later.

This ain't rocket science, yet with those two morons in charge of the script, you think it was brain surgery they were been asked to perform.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    When is Dev Patel gonna be bond?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    When is Dev Patel gonna be bond?

Is that a serious question or are you just spamming?

• suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    Who is Dev Patel? A corner shop owner from Bradford? ;)
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,114
    There is an appetite in the air for a fun Bond next. I think Tom Hardy and Fassbender are too serious and severe for the direction the franchise is likely to go.
    I have a feeling there is some internal politicking going on re: B25. Just a feeling I have, and I think that extends to actor as well.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,114
    I have a feeling there is some internal politicking going on re: B25. Just a feeling I have, and I think that extends to actor as well.

Hmm, Interesting...
  • cwl007cwl007 England
    Daniel Craig will do Bond 25, no doubt about it and I'm very happy about that. However,
    on the subject of the next actor, in quite a few previous posts on this thread I have suggested Fassbender, Alexander Scarsgard, Hiddleston, Turner, Scott Eastwood, all of which I though would be good.
    Scrap all that, I have just seen a movie called The Guest starring the next Bond...Dan Stevens.
    The right age, the right look, good in the action, can act, just enough under the radar. I'm off to William Hills.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    cwl007 wrote: »
    Daniel Craig will do Bond 25, no doubt about it and I'm very happy about that. However,
    on the subject of the next actor, in quite a few previous posts on this thread I have suggested Fassbender, Alexander Scarsgard, Hiddleston, Turner, Scott Eastwood, all of which I though would be good.
    Scrap all that, I have just seen a movie called The Guest starring the next Bond...Dan Stevens.
    The right age, the right look, good in the action, can act, just enough under the radar
    . I'm off to William Hills.

At 35 he'd be a great age to start his Bond tenure. Even with Craig appearing in Bond 25 he'll still be a good fit. He's 6' which put him in the 'yes' category height wise.
    One of his co-stars in Beauty And The Beast struck me as being a little like Brosnan in his performance and mannerisms was Luke Evans. Another Six footer and at 38 he displays potential. Not saying I want either of these two to take on the iconic role.
    Just mentioning names.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Not that it matters in real life, but Luke Evans is a very "out" actor, so in "reel" life, playing the world's most heterosexual spy, may interfere with casting him (although he looks fit and handsome, and he could have a killer look to him).
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Evans isn t right for Bond, but that has nothing to do with his sexual orientation. That isn t really interesting.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @thunderfinger, I wasn't judging his sexual orientation; and I agree, it isnt interesting in of itself;
    But as a matter of casting an "open" actor in a role like Bond, for an international audience where foreign has become more important than ever, I would find it hard to believe that Broccoli and co would ever hire an open actor.
    In the scheme of things, talents and looks, I'd consider Luke Evans way before Huddleston and especially Turner!
    Luke Evans is gay? I wouldn't have guessed.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Relax, fellas, Benny had mentioned him, I replied why he may be disqualified; and, in fact, I didn't know he was gay until after I had seen him in that Dracula film, and I read more about him!
    As long as he can work well intimately with the women on screen and in bed, I'd be very open to Evans. He's got a certain charisma to him.
    he'll be 39/40 in 2019. That's too old to be starting out as bond.
    he'll be 39/40 in 2019. That's too old to be starting out as bond.
    I think that's a prime age for Bond actually. He'd be able to do his 7-10 year run with 4 films and then give way to another actor.

It's moot anyway because I don't think he's under consideration by EON. I think they've got a few people they are looking at, and that's it.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I think they have only one person in mind, and when he's done his last Bond, they will have another international search as they did back in '05.
    peter wrote: »
    I think they have only one person in mind, and when he's done his last Bond, they will have another international search as they did back in '05.
    We shall see.
    peter wrote: »
    We shall see.

Exactly. Something is definitely going on, we know that much.