Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    dalton wrote: »
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    And off that, who was ever "officially" in the running? Ever since SP's release, I really haven't been sure what was official and what was a bad rumor.

Just about all of it has been "bad rumor".

Don't worry, everyone hated Craig to begin with as well. Warming to a new Bond is a process, I've learned.

I didn't. 'Layer Cake' and 'Munich' sold me on him being cast in the role.
    And off that, who was ever "officially" in the running? Ever since SP's release, I really haven't been sure what was official and what was a bad rumor.

Don't worry, everyone hated Craig to begin with as well. Warming to a new Bond is a process, I've learned.

I didn't. 'Layer Cake' and 'Munich' sold me on him being cast in the role.

I didn't either. Not that you can anymore, but if the archives of the other Bond forum still worked properly, you'd be able to go back and see that I was on board with Craig extremely early on, even as far back as the point when Clive Owen and that bogus "final four" were still considered to be viable options.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Same here, I favoured Craig over everyone else since he was first mentioned. "Everyone" is usually a vocal minority.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I will say I do not want Aidan Turner to be the next Bond.
    Too pretty boy.
    He looks like a boy still and appears too fey too me. Certainly doesn't appear to have any rugged quality. Like he could take care of himself. Slapping a tux on doesn't make anyone a candidate to become James Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Benny wrote: »
    Slapping a tux on doesn't make anyone a candidate to become James Bond.
    Tell the social media that, Benny. ;)
  • RC7RC7
    The Irish Examiner pushing Turner. Who'da thunk it?

But Brosnan was plebiscited. Turner may have been had he been a contender in the 90s. Now...
  • suavejmfsuavejmf Harrogate, North Yorkshire, England
    RC7 wrote: »
    The Irish Examiner pushing Turner. Who'da thunk it?

EXACTLY.
    Tom Hardy is a great actor and i am sure would make a very good bond.
    I haven't seen much of the other contenders.
    Too short.
    And very unsuitable as well as very thuggish.
    Benny wrote: »
    I will say I do not want Aidan Turner to be the next Bond.
    Too pretty boy.

Very much agreed. And, if Barbara Broccoli could dismiss Hugh Jackman as not being rugged enough for the part, then certainly she wouldn't think Turner measures up.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    I am in complete disagreement with the two posts above. I don't see Turner as a "pretty boy" and I think if Craig returns, Turner's appropriateness for the role will be enhanced. In fact, at a similar age, Moore was "prettier"
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    talos7 wrote: »
    I am in complete disagreement with the two posts above. I don't see Turner as a "pretty boy" and I think if Craig returns, Turner's appropriateness for the role will be enhanced. In fact, at a similar age, Moore was "prettier"

They clearly haven't seen what he's working with under the hood, to come to that conclusion.
    It's alright. We'll cast Jason Statham with a hairpiece. =))

AHu6DLS.jpg
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 23,883
    Apparently Burt Reynolds once had a shot at it. It seems Cubby once or twice seriously considered Americans (John Gavin, James Brolin and Burt). Thank goodness Sean did DAF and Roger got the part after him and stayed on for as long as he did, to foil these horrendous suggestions.

I didn't know that Burt turned down Han Solo and John McClane as well. In both cases, the final choice was better imho.
    “I have nightmares about some of the movies I’ve made and some of those I turned down,” he revealed. I think I’ve made many more than 100 films and I am proud of about four of them! Did you know I was asked to play James Bond and I turned it down? Cubby Broccoli came to see me personally. I knew Sean Connery was leaving as he wanted more money to go on and they could not agree on fees. Sean went on to greater things, but the James Bond movies also went on and on. I guess I should have been worried when Cubby came to see me as Sean wanted more money. I don’t know what he thought my fee would be. The truth is we never got that far as I just could not see James Bond being played by an American. The accent would never have suited the part and I could never do Sean’s accent or even an English accent without it being a comedy. So, I turned down James Bond. What a crazy thing to do!”

It was not the only crazy thing Burt has done, however.

“I was offered John McClane in Die Hard, but didn’t really like it, so Bruce Willis took it — and look what happened. I was also asked to be Han Solo in Star Wars — A New Hope. I am famous for not being famous in those roles. Bond hurts the most.”

https://www.sundaypost.com/fp/the-man-who-could-have-been-bond-or-han-solo-or-john-mcclane/
    Reynolds could have been a good Bond back then.
    Back then, had it been not Roger Moore, without a shadow of doubt, Christopher Plummer should've been Bond. The best proof to see that through is Return of The Pink Panther.
    Back then, had it been not Roger Moore, without a shadow of doubt, Christopher Plummer should've been Bond. The best proof to see that through is Return of The Pink Panther.

In the Terence Young film Triple Cross there were several moments where I felt Christopher Plummer might have made a good Bond.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 8,114
    bondjames wrote: »
    Is Turner even in the running any more? I thought he was out a while back on account of Poldark.

I'd say he was the only one in the running. He's the only one who hasn't eliminated himself from the running. When asked about playing Bond, his usual response is "no comment" or "I can't talk about it". Plus, it was confirmed through a producer of Poldark that he was flown to LA last year to meet with Barbara. Yes, I'd say he was in the running. Poldark series 3 airs in June in the UK, and in September in the States. Beyond that, the future of the show is currently uncertain.
    Thanks. I presume that if the 3rd season is a success and the show is therefore renewed for a 4th, then he will be bound to it though. Is that a correct assumption? Like how Brozza was tied to Remington Steele?

(We were just talking about this...)

POLDARK series 4 confirmed.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04-08/poldark-will-return-for-a-fourth-series

They are filming series 4 this September, so I doubt it will stop him from playing Bond, given we won't see the next Bond film until 2019 at the earliest.
    given we won't see the next Bond film until 2019 at the earliest.

Why not?

Why not?

Well okay, it's still possible. Like successfully navigating an asteroid field is possible.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 45,489

Why not?

Well okay, it's still possible. Like successfully navigating an asteroid field is possible.

If Harrison Ford could, so can EON.
    If P&W are actually working on a script (can't be bothered to go back however many tens of pages I'd need to in order to find out if that was a hoax or not), then there's no reason that EON couldn't still manage to get the film out next year. It would be tight, and not as likely to happen as we might have anticipated it to have been at this time last year, but still somewhat within reach for EON if they so chose to do so.
  • This is the most on-topic the Bond 25 Production Diary has been in a long time.
    Is Turner even in the running any more? I thought he was out a while back on account of Poldark.

I'd say he was the only one in the running. He's the only one who hasn't eliminated himself from the running. When asked about playing Bond, his usual response is "no comment" or "I can't talk about it". Plus, it was confirmed through a producer of Poldark that he was flown to LA last year to meet with Barbara. Yes, I'd say he was in the running. Poldark series 3 airs in June in the UK, and in September in the States. Beyond that, the future of the show is currently uncertain.
    Thanks. I presume that if the 3rd season is a success and the show is therefore renewed for a 4th, then he will be bound to it though. Is that a correct assumption? Like how Brozza was tied to Remington Steele?

(We were just talking about this...)

POLDARK series 4 confirmed.

http://www.radiotimes.com/news/2017-04-08/poldark-will-return-for-a-fourth-series

They are filming series 4 this September, so I doubt it will stop him from playing Bond, given we won't see the next Bond film until 2019 at the earliest.
    Now that is a coincidence! I've not seen any Poldark, but if it's got a 4th Season approved it can't be all bad. I'm not big on period pieces normally, but I'll try to watch it for this Adrian chap to see what the big deal is.
    He's not a Bond.
    At this point, nobody up on surface available on the radar is.
    The one of his generation who still is the best for this role is Christian Bale. He's just about 5-6 years too old and of course could never get it due to Batman. He is the one that got away as far as I'm concerned.