Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Like Dalton, he's trying too hard to badass and cool, it doesn't work for me. We need someone with natural presence.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Murdock, yes, there's something "actorly" about Turner. It's not natural at all. I think that's where that pouty-thing comes in to play. He doesn't know how to embody cool, so he "acts" it.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Naturally it is difficult to imagine a seventh actor to play Bond and bring something unique to the role. But it has been done 6 times and it will happen a 7th time for sure.
    BB will chose and then it will depend on the film, if it is anything like GE and CR it will work even if the actor has to establish himself first.

So I hope first and foremost for a good production team and a good director which means someone that understands Bond, it doesn't take a famous director for that. Forster and Mendes were famous when they got the job and it can be debated if they were any better than past directors that didn't have such a glamorous name.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    At least Dalton tried, he could have sat back, and let his films carry him, like Brosnan.
    peter wrote: »
    At best he's a solid TV actor. He doesn't have the presence to pull off an iconic role. There's nothing uniquely charming about him. Rather, he just "is"... and a little too pouty for my liking.

Everything you wrote, could be said of Brosnan. Especially in 1986/7.
    But to be fair Major,Brosnan at least had screen presence...Turner has nil prescence or persona.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited December 2016 Posts: 13,905
    barryt007 wrote: »
    But to be fair Major,Brosnan at least had screen presence...Turner has nil prescence or persona.

I will say for Brosnan that he always looked comfortable in a suit, and was decent in his fight scenes. But when he's onscreen, my attention is never drawn to him. I admit that my thoughts on Turner are based entirely off And Then There Were None.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    My attention is always drawn to Pierce. He didn't need to try. he had the It factor baby. I was always glued to him. Everything the man does is cool. He has Captain Kirk levels of awesome.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I like Brosnan and I like Turner. They posses very similar qualities as far as I'm concerned.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883

I will say for Brosnan that he always looked comfortable in a suit, and was decent in his fight scenes. But when he's onscreen, my attention is never drawn to him. I admit that my thoughts on Turner are based entirely off And Then There Were None.
    I agree on Brosnan. He always looked good in a suit, but never owned the screen like Connery, Moore or Craig do. Even Lazenby, despite his limited acting capabilities, was able to command attention in the frame.

I think Dalton and Brosnan were the weakest when it comes to screen presence as Bond (both are very good in other roles I've seen them in however) and Turner seems to give off the same vibe, at least in the clips I've seen of him. So although I'm keeping an open mind on him, I'm concerned.
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 19,339
    If anyone thinks Turner is cool in 'and then there were none',try watching the film version and see the man who i always wished played Bond,being Hugh Lombard : Oliver Reed...now he makes Turner look total pants .
    If anyone thinks Turner is cool in 'and then there were none',try watching the film version and see the man who i always wished played Bond,being Hugh Lombard : Oliver Reed...now he makes Turner look total pants .

Ah yes, the one with Elke Sommer. Yes, I like that one. :D

Ollie in a dinner jacket, but I still can't imagine him a Bond. Would have made one hell of a villain though.
    One of my all-time favourite films...i got it on DVD of course..
    And such a fantastic cast,even with Orson Welles Voice as U.N.OWEN.

PLus of course Largo and Goldfinger !!
    One of all-time favourite films...i got it on DVD as its starting to get harder to get..

Is it getting hard to find? I have a copy from Studiocanal, from a few years back. The impression I get, is that this 1974 version isn't held in high regard by Christie fans.
    Oh its not...but i have read '10 Little Indians' and its semi faithful,but its just a great romp for me with all the actors being ones i really like.
    A chap who's showing some potential and who I'm warming to these days is Dan Stevens. He's almost unrecognizable in the Legion trailer.

I believe this is an Aston that he's sitting in:
    IMG_0416-2.preview.jpg

dan_stevens_1238044.jpg
    I admit he has always intrigued me,since Downton Abbey...he does have something about him.
    He has the Craig eyes and is English,so a possibility yes .
    He looked good in 'The Lodger' in photos i have seen ,although i havent seen the film yet.
    I'm not all that familiar with his work outside of Downton Abbey, but he does seem to have a little bit of an edge to him & sufficient charisma, both of which are prerequisites imho.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    I'd prefer the next incarnation to be more traditionally Fleming in appearance.
  • mcdonbbmcdonbb deep in the Heart of Texas
    bondjames wrote: »
    A chap who's showing some potential and who I'm warming to these days is Dan Stevens. He's almost unrecognizable in the Legion trailer.

I believe this is an Aston that he's sitting in:
    IMG_0416-2.preview.jpg

dan_stevens_1238044.jpg

Was a no at first for me but after those clips maybe so.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    At least Dalton tried, he could have sat back, and let his films carry him, like Brosnan.
    peter wrote: »
    At best he's a solid TV actor. He doesn't have the presence to pull off an iconic role. There's nothing uniquely charming about him. Rather, he just "is"... and a little too pouty for my liking.

Everything you wrote, could be said of Brosnan. Especially in 1986/7.

This is why you have been promoted to the rank of Major.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He's a bit erm... Too model-y by the looks. But, I'm not familiar with his work so I can't comment on his acting performance.
    Im watching 'Risen' that i recorded on SKY Cinema,and im going to throw another name in the ring....Joseph Fiennes as James Bond...
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    M turns out to be Bond's elder brother? Cool! ;)
    hahaha i know..but they are professional actors and could manage it ...what do u think ?
    edited December 2016 Posts: 23,883
    Joseph Fiennes always came across as a villain to my eyes. He's got an edge, but comes across a little 'slick'. I was never too keen on Ralph as Bond either (I know that made the rounds some years back).
    He is very world weary in this film....he is a damn good actor and well known everywhere unlike Dalton..
  • edited December 2016 Posts: 9,784
    Im watching 'Risen' that i recorded on SKY Cinema,and im going to throw another name in the ring....Joseph Fiennes as James Bond...

I can picture of now

M "bond your like a brother to me"
    Come on guys,look beyond the brothers ,look at the actor...
    Bond can't afford another 'brother' scenario after the last one I'm afraid.
    Not brothers you Bond nerds,just Bond and M...the 2 actors are very professional ...anyway just a thought.