Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I've always wanted to see Bond facing off with someone in the Suicide Forest. It's a shame the comics got to it before the films, but I guarantee people would flip out if anything even slightly "gritty" or "real" like that was put in a Bond film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I know I wouldn't. The Suicide Forest element, if handled greatly, is a magnificent thing to adjust the thriller to. It just has to be extravagant and adventurous rather than a 'too realistic' scenario where Bond isn't the man everyone in the scene relies on for me to like. A confident hero you'd know that isn't like anyone else around. That'd be my kind of escapism.

Of course, for other folks it's quite different, and I deeply respect it.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    I know I wouldn't. The Suicide Forest element, if handled greatly, is a magnificent thing to adjust the thriller to. It just has to be extravagant and adventurous rather than a 'too realistic' scenario where Bond isn't the man everyone in the scene relies on for me to like. A confident hero you'd know that isn't like anyone else around. That'd be my kind of escapism.

A scene in the suicide forest shouldn't be played with adjectives like extravagant and adventurous, not to me. It would be a fittingly moody, haunting scene, befitting the whole reason people wander into the wood in the first place.

A scene in the suicide forest shouldn't be played with adjectives like extravagant and adventurous, not to me. It would be a fittingly moody, haunting scene, befitting the whole reason people wander into the wood in the first place.
    I was referring to more to the likes of Taken and Hitman, which brings us to Golgo 13 who, instead of fearing for his life and surviving by the skin of his teeth, employs his lethal instincts to turn the tables on those hunting him. Kind of like Rambo in First Blood but less military based. See, with the likes of The Hunger Games, for example, it's about characters who aren't to be showcased better than one another. Or Friday The 13th. Moore in Octopussy followed that path and it's one of the reasons for a Bond thriller it didn't work out for me (among some other infamous things). Of course, I'd love a very edgy and suspenseful sequence for the Suicide Forrest with Bond being the one who's hunted at first, or at least we'd think so, only to learn a little later that he has become the hunter instead, taking the lives of his assailants one by one from the shadows (I can imagine the jump scare musical cues playing). That's what I meant by making it "extravagant" with a confident hero in control instead of being controlled, you know what I mean?

I was referring to more to the likes of Taken and Hitman, which brings us to Golgo 13 who, instead of fearing for his life and surviving by the skin of his teeth, employs his lethal instincts to turn the tables on those hunting him. Kind of like Rambo in First Blood but less military based. See, with the likes of The Hunger Games, for example, it's about characters who aren't to be showcased better than one another. Or Friday The 13th. Moore in Octopussy followed that path and it's one of the reasons for a Bond thriller it didn't work out for me (among some other infamous things). Of course, I'd love a very edgy and suspenseful sequence for the Suicide Forrest with Bond being the one who's hunted at first, or at least we'd think so, only to learn a little later that he has become the hunter instead, taking the lives of his assailants one by one from the shadows (I can imagine the jump scare musical cues playing). That's what I meant by making it "extravagant" with a confident hero in control instead of being controlled, you know what I mean?

Now that you've explained it I get it, the use of that adjective just understandably threw me off.
    Kieron Gillen talks about JAMES BOND: SERVICE and Britain being The Fading Empire being the influence of the comic book:

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/22/kieron-gillen-james-bond-fading-empire/
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 850
    Reading Hammerhead issue #4, I don't understand...
    How Bond go to the the tanker boat, Boadicea, after discover the warhead is empty with/chez The Fox ? What lead him to this boat specificaly, whereas we never heard of this boat anywere in the comics before ?
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Reading Hammerhead issue #4, I don't understand...
    How Bond go to the the tanker boat, Boadicea, after discover the warhead is empty with/chez The Fox ? What lead him to this boat specificaly, whereas we never heard of this boat anywere in the comics before ?
    He observed. The Bodicea was registered to Hunt Engineering and The Fox was supposed to be smuggling arms and weapons from the same organization for the infamous Kraken, so he made the connection and learned of Kraken's next move.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 850
    I see, but
    isn't a no-sens to thinking that the boat (a very big boat) had the time to travell the arms from Scotland to Yemen in so little time ?

If I understand right, in about 24h time, the arms of the suken helicoptere in Scotland have been loaded (after a path inland, because the helicopter have suken in lake) in the boat at Porthmouth, the boat has go to Yemen, deliver fake arms to The Fox (?), and go to water again ?
    New Bond tomorrow, correct?
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    JET007 wrote: »
    Yep! Just to update the list:

HAMMERHEAD #6 - March 28
    BLACK BOX #2 - April 5
    FELIX LEITER #4 - April 19
    BLACK BOX #3 - May 03
    HAMMERHEAD HARDCOVER - May 03
    FELIX LEITER #5 - May 17
    SERVICE - May 24
    BLACK BOX #4 - June 07
    FELIX LEITER #6 - June 21
    And it was good! Went very well with the TND soundtrack again!
    And it was good! Went very well with the TND soundtrack again!
    @JET007
    That patriotic ending!!!! :D

End Credits:
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 632
    Yes! Very Skyfall!
    A James Bond sketch by Rapha Lobosco (Black Box artist)...

C7diB-BXwAIFd5m.jpg:large

@0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, this one reminds me of your black and white poster concept art. :D Here's to you illustrating a future Bond comic.
    @ClarkDevlin, that would certainly be crazy. I should be so lucky. ;)
    Never say never. ;)

HAMMERHEAD #6 - March 28
    BLACK BOX #2 - April 5
    BLACK BOX #3 - May 03
    FELIX LEITER #5 - May 17
    SERVICE - May 24
    BLACK BOX #4 - June 07
    What's Service?
    Hammerhead gets hardcover in May? That's great, 2 volumes in span of few months (Eidolon was released last month)
    dragonsky wrote: »

HAMMERHEAD #6 - March 28
    BLACK BOX #2 - April 5
    BLACK BOX #3 - May 03
    FELIX LEITER #5 - May 17
    SERVICE - May 24
    BLACK BOX #4 - June 07
    What's Service?
    Hammerhead gets hardcover in May? That's great, 2 volumes in span of few months (Eidolon was released last month)
    There you go, @dragonsky:
    http://www.mi6community.com/index.php?p=/discussion/comment/703792/#Comment_703792
    Thanks! I just can't keep up with these comics haha :D So the "official" series so far is only VARGR,Eidolon and Black Box right? Service is not set in this universe or?
    Don't forget Hammerhead.
    They're all set in the same continuity so far, but counting the "official entries" of the ongoing series, it goes like VARGR, Eidolon and Black Box.

Hammerhead and Service are counted as standalone titles but set in the same universe.
    How confusing. They should just treat them like the 70s movies, where they're adventures that just happen, and when they happen doesn't matter. Of course I am happy to see how much the comics are tying over into one another, such as the Bond comics and Felix's run, so that's cool. It actually makes Bond's world feel bigger.
    Agreed. As far as the marketing titles go, it's utterly confusing.

The Ian Fleming Estate claims Black Box is called 'James Bond Vol. 3', whereas Dynamite itself lists the entry under the label 'James Bond Vol. 2', which confuses the heck out of me, especially when Eidolon's hardcover release was issued with the title 'James Bond Vol. 2: Eidolon'. They really have to sort these out in the future so it wouldn't spark confusion.
    @ClarkDevlin, so does Dynamite just take VARGR and Eidolon as one whole story or volume because they share the same writer and artist, and they only call Black Box Vol. 2 because it's only the second time the writer and artist have changed?

Which would be even more strange, because VARGR and Eidolon both got separate hardcover releases, making them separate volumes.
    That's what it seems to be, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7. VARGR and Eidolon are now being covered under one wing, and Black Box now is its own thing, but they still do keep in touch with one another continuation-wise. I don't think it's clear what they'll be calling Black Box once it's collected in a hardcover. It's not only confusing the readers, but the way it's marketed even. There has never been a problem like this with Dark Horse's run of the Bonds.
    I think the problem is only compounded by how many plates Dynamite is spinning, with main runs, one-offs, spin-offs, prequel comics and Fleming comic adaptations always being developed. There's so much, it's likely hell to keep them all straight or to classify them by volume, especially when the release dates for some of the comics are always changing or are just unknown (like the CR comic).
    GUYS!

Andy Diggle and Luca Casalanguida, the team behind HAMMERHEAD, are already working on another installment in the Bond franchise. Something Diggle described as "more Euro-centric" and the first issue will be out sometime this summer! :D

@00Agent, @mcdonbb, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, @MajorDSmythe, @DarthDimi, @dragonsky, @TR007, @JET007, @ggl007, @BondJasonBond006
    Thanks for the heads up! Really looking forward to that. Between this next instalment from Diggle, Service, Leiter and Blackbox, it's shaping up to great summer!

I loved Hammerhead. Just read #6 this morning before work.

It's funny, Hammerhead has been the most predictable of all the story-lines so far, but strangely that lead to it being one of the most entertaining also. I really, really loved it. Can't wait to get the hardback!
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    GUYS!

Andy Diggle and Luca Casalanguida, the team behind HAMMERHEAD, are already working on another installment in the Bond franchise. Something Diggle described as "more Euro-centric" and the first issue will be out sometime this summer! :D

@00Agent, @mcdonbb, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7, @MajorDSmythe, @DarthDimi, @dragonsky, @TR007, @JET007, @ggl007, @BondJasonBond006

Great to hear! I was hoping for an announcement soon, now that Hammehead is over.