Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I'd love to be more active in this thread but the problem is I force myself to wait until I've got a complete mini-series staring at me before I start reading and discussing it... ;-) Discipline, 007.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited February 2017 Posts: 15,423
    dragonsky wrote: »
    Glad you like them, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! :D

The one with the sniper assassination image is illustrated by Russ Heath, which itself is from Minute of Midnight. The shortest Bond comic ever.

The Alpine ones with cable car and ski are from Light of My Death (which is also the only Bond comic to be set in the film universe with original story during the 1960s) by artist John Watkiss.
    Speaking of the older Bond comics..are they available online somewhere (for reading or oredering?) ?
    Yes, the Dark Horse titles are available on their official sites. But, you will have to look up at Amazon for Permission To Die, because its publisher has been defunct.

Can you link me the site for the older Dark Horse comics? Also are those older Dark Horse comics available on Amazon?
    Of course. I'll post direct links to each of the existing comics. Some of them don't come by searching James Bond mainly because they are part of the Dark Horse Comics saga (namely Light of My Death and Minute of Midnight).

James Bond 007: Serpent's Tooth - Trade Paperback
    James Bond 007: A Silent Armageddon #1
    James Bond 007: A Silent Armageddon #2
    Dark Horse Comics #8 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #1
    Dark Horse Comics #9 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #2
    Dark Horse Comics #10 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #3
    Dark Horse Comics #11 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #4
    Dark Horse Comics #25 containing James Bond 007: Minute of Midnight
    James Bond 007: Shattered Helix #1
    James Bond 007: Shattered Helix #2
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #1
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #2
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #3

There you go, @dragonsky. However, before you read them all, here's the perfect article to guide you through all of the existing Bond comics. Plus, it's mighty sadness to inform you that A Silent Armageddon was never released in its full. Here: http://secretagentlair.blogspot.am/2016/12/james-bond-comic-book-day.html
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    I'd love to be more active in this thread but the problem is I force myself to wait until I've got a complete mini-series staring at me before I start reading and discussing it... ;-) Discipline, 007.
    My deepest sympathies, @DarthDimi. ;) Waiting for six months is a bit too tough!
    Glad you like them, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7! :D

The one with the sniper assassination image is illustrated by Russ Heath, which itself is from Minute of Midnight. The shortest Bond comic ever.

The Alpine ones with cable car and ski are from Light of My Death (which is also the only Bond comic to be set in the film universe with original story during the 1960s) by artist John Watkiss.
    Speaking of the older Bond comics..are they available online somewhere (for reading or oredering?) ?
    Yes, the Dark Horse titles are available on their official sites. But, you will have to look up at Amazon for Permission To Die, because its publisher has been defunct.

Can you link me the site for the older Dark Horse comics? Also are those older Dark Horse comics available on Amazon?
    Of course. I'll post direct links to each of the existing comics. Some of them don't come by searching James Bond mainly because they are part of the Dark Horse Comics saga (namely Light of My Death and Minute of Midnight).

James Bond 007: Serpent's Tooth - Trade Paperback
    James Bond 007: A Silent Armageddon #1
    James Bond 007: A Silent Armageddon #2
    Dark Horse Comics #8 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #1
    Dark Horse Comics #9 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #2
    Dark Horse Comics #10 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #3
    Dark Horse Comics #11 containing James Bond 007: Light of My Death #4
    Dark Horse Comics #25 containing James Bond 007: Minute of Midnight
    James Bond 007: Shattered Helix #1
    James Bond 007: Shattered Helix #2
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #1
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #2
    James Bond 007: The Quasimodo Gambit #3

There you go, @dragonsky. However, before you read them all, here's the perfect article to guide you through all of the existing Bond comics. Plus, it's mighty sadness to inform you that A Silent Armageddon was never released in its full. Here: http://secretagentlair.blogspot.am/2016/12/james-bond-comic-book-day.html
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    My deepest sympathies, @DarthDimi. ;) Waiting for six months is a bit too tough!
    Thanks a lot! <3
    @mcdonbb, @00Agent, @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7

Have you ever had a moment like when you had to scream three repetitive words such as this?
    OH SHIT! OH SHIT! OH SHIT! :-O

vIPH67l.jpg
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    just finished Black Box... i think this will be fun :D
    My biggest suprise, and maybe it shouldn't have been, was the change in Bonds characterization again from Diggle and Ellis. This Bond is much more.... casual?
    i'll take an educated guess and say that Roger Moore seems to be Percy's favorite Bond :D
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Damn right! :D

It's also the fourth time overall Bond switching a Walther. In this case, the PPQ.
    Here's a really cool 'writer's commentary' from Percy regarding #1 of Blackbox.

https://www.bleedingcool.com/2017/03/01/writers-commentary-benjamin-percy-talks-james-bond-1/
    As soon as the Aston Martin showed up; cue David Arnold's The Name's Bond, James Bond.
    It's also, by comparison, Diggle's Bond was definitely Brosnan's incarnation of the character. It was quite obvious. While, Percy's Bond is inspired by Roger Moore yet retaining the look of that dark haired chap. You know... kind of like how Doug Moench and Paul Gulacy did with Serpent's Tooth.
    yes, and i love the fact that this series is somehow turning into a celebration of all the different Bonds and Eras. I mean the first issue of Black Box clearly felt like one of Rogs movies, especially the chase. That was a pleasant suprise i didn't see coming.
    Also what i find intriguing, M is turning into one of the most important Character in those books because he is the one constant. he keeps it all together, as his character is never changing. Bond changes from Story to Story and so does the world with him slightly.
    Ellis Bond was pure realism, very grounded. Hammerhead was a typical 'larger than life' Bond movie where everything is grand, and the whole world is at stake, and now Black Box is embracing some of the campy elements which is really great for a comic book.
    can't wait to see what Service will be like.

However, I think I also do want to say this...

The art isn't capturing me at all. Something about it feels odd and casual. Definitely a step back from Luca Casalanguida.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,185
    i noticed that it almost feels like different artists at times. In some Panels the artstyle switches a lot imho
    Agreed. Can't say I'm a fan of how Bond constantly comes to change. He feels too cartoony by the looks. It's safe to say, of all the three renditions, Casalanguida's, no doubt, is the best.
    Agreed. Can't say I'm a fan of how Bond constantly comes to change. He feels too cartoony by the looks. It's safe to say, of all the three renditions, Casalanguida's, no doubt, is the best.

Yes, he's definitly great, and a perfect fit for Hammerhead.
    Though, contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion here, i am still a big fan of Masters. He has an astonishing level of detail in his work
    00Agent wrote: »

Yes, he's definitly great, and a perfect fit for Hammerhead.
    Though, contrary to what seems to be the popular opinion here, i am still a big fan of Masters. He has an astonishing level of detail in his work
    The problem I have with masters is that he did recycle too many character outlines for different characters. Like the head of the Joint Intelligence Committee for example in Eidolon had the very exact pencil outlines of Bond when he looked at Brian Masters in VARGR and said "Shall we?"

I like the look of Masters' Bond. Far more than the cartoony kid-friendly-like Bond of Rapha Lobosco, but I do have a problem with how he dressed up his characters too. Tight pants being one. ;)
    I like the look of Masters' Bond. Far more than the cartoony kid-friendly-like Bond of Rapha Lobosco, but I do have a problem with how he dressed up his characters too. Tight pants being one. ;)

i had to check again lol. but i see what you mean... i like a tight look, especially above the waist, but i do hate those super tight pants :)

i had to check again lol. but i see what you mean... i like a tight look, especially above the waist, but i do hate those super tight pants :)
    You and me both, mate. :))
    Found this by accident on the Internet, can't tell if 'official' or not. Damn good picture regardless...

supposed cover for Black Box #2
    bond_cover_colors_final_by_gio2286-daw9bpc.jpg

artist page:
    http://gio2286.deviantart.com/art/James-Bond-Black-Box-n2-cover-colors-658844544
    Well damn! :O

Good find, @00Agent! :D
    Seems like it is, HA!

STL039679?type=1

Thats easily one of my favorite covers in the whole run so far...
    I'm really hungry for a quick fill-up... Can a month go away sooner?
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    I have had a quick look of my first issue of Black Box, I have to say that I don't like the art style of it.

I'm afraid not... :(
    My anticipation for Hammerheads finale could not be any higher
    I have had a quick look of my first issue of Black Box, I have to say that I don't like the art style of it.
    Didn't capture me, either, Major.

I'm afraid not... :(
    My anticipation for Hammerheads finale could not be any higher
    Hammerhead will conclude with a bang. That's my expectation! :D

I am 100% positive that it will.... Which makes waiting that much harder :))

If only a last minute Bond Girl shows up as part of the assault team, and Bond later takes her for a ride... That scoundrel. :D

If only a last minute Bond Girl shows up as part of the assault team, and Bond later takes her for a ride... That scoundrel. :D

That would actually be a great ending :-?
    I mean, i don't expect the classic 'oh james' and all that (even though that would be awesome!) but not having a Bond girl around in the end might feel like theres something missing...
    I actually miss those 'Oh James' endings... :))
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    That cover image is kinda weird. I figured they'd flip it the other way for the final published image, as Bond's scar and bit of falling hair are on the wrong side of his face.
    All Bond comics are on Sale today at Comixology for half the regular price. Sale ends today 11PM EST