Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

• ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks, @ClarkDevlin Is there a link?
    Some of you seem to be new to that comic book thing. But it is in fact frequent to have many series, mini-series, one-offs and graphic novels dedicate to the same character and featuring the same continuity. Let's look at Superman : two main series, which sometimes crossover with each other. Batman : three main series, plus a few mini-series, in various formats. So, why not James Bond ? I don't find that confusing at all.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Thanks! This summer!! Great news.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Gerard wrote: »
    Some of you seem to be new to that comic book thing. But it is in fact frequent to have many series, mini-series, one-offs and graphic novels dedicate to the same character and featuring the same continuity. Let's look at Superman : two main series, which sometimes crossover with each other. Batman : three main series, plus a few mini-series, in various formats. So, why not James Bond ? I don't find that confusing at all.

I think most of us know that, it's just that we maybe had the hope that part of the industry didn't do the same crap DC and Marvel does all the time with their overwhelming number of books you have to keep count of. Hopefully Dynamite don't end up doing what DC and Marvel do where you have to buy three random issues of other separate comics to get the full story of the main arc, which they could do with Bond if they wanted. That's why I don't bother with modern comics outside one-shots and trades anymore.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    What Brady said.

I have to fear for that being true, sadly, where DC and Marvel keep treating separate issues from separate titles having to be read so one could get what's happening in the narrative. The first attempt at that was evident in the first Felix Leiter issue. But, it didn't go as far to enforce the reading of the other issues but rather involved a small subplot.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    What Brady said.

I have to fear for that being true, sadly, where DC and Marvel keep treating separate issues from separate titles having to be read so one could get what's happening in the narrative. The first attempt at that was evident in the first Felix Leiter issue. But, it didn't go as far to enforce the reading of the other issues but rather involved a small subplot.

That's kind of what I was implying. If Dynamite wanted, they could totally have two separate comics running-one for Bond and one for Felix-and have one issue of Felix's necessary to know the full story of the Bond comic because a character or subplot sees its continuation or end in the Felix issue. If you don't buy it, you go into the next Bond issue blind.

I hope it doesn't come to that, as Dynamite have so far been refreshing with how they've handled the Bond license.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    More Bond from Dynamite?

I quite agree.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Remember John Cleese's How To Irritate People? Well, this one thing should be added to the bunch.

I certainly hope they don't cancel Bond. I certainly hope they don't.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,185
    Remember John Cleese's How To Irritate People? Well, this one thing should be added to the bunch.

Me too! I have become quite attached to this series. Dynamite seriously needs to step their Marketing game up! They could do a bigger campaign with the upcoming CR graphic novel, and use the name recognition to remind people of the rest of the already published comics.
    00Agent wrote: »

Me too! I have become quite attached to this series. Dynamite seriously needs to step their Marketing game up! They could do a bigger campaign with the upcoming CR graphic novel, and use the name recognition to remind people of the rest of the already published comics.
    That's what I feel they should be doing. Heck, if it requires of them, they should even think of merchandising market since Vampirella and Red Sonja are always up there with that particular system. They should save the future of the series. I also largely care for this medium.
  • 00Agent wrote: »

This article suffers from some inaccurate info (VERY few if any comics are selling 100,000 copies per issue these days!) as well as a lack of context. (What's the current issue of the average Dynamite title selling these days?) I won't claim that Dynamite is flawless in their actions regarding the Bond franchise...but these bar graphs are not unusual from what I'm seeing in the comics field these days. By all means, support the series BY BUYING THE INDIVIDUAL ISSUES rather than waiting for the compilations...but let's not give up the ship just yet!
    Dynamite seriously needs to step their Marketing game up! They could do a bigger campaign with the upcoming CR graphic novel, and use the name recognition to remind people of the rest of the already published comics.

@00Agent, I think you overestimate what the marketing department for any non-Marvel or DC comics publisher is financially capable of doing. Smaller publishers depend on word-of-mouth from fans like us to promote the product. I routinely give out Christmas presents composed of GN collections of material I think the recipient will enjoy. Spread the word yourself and become a freelance marketing department of one!

• I don't know if anyone's seen/posted this from elsewhere -- but here's an interview with Kieron Gillen re: SERVICE. http://comicsalliance.com/kieron-gillen-james-bond-interview/
    I was hoping you'd get in, @BeatlesSansEarmuffs. Thanks for the insight.

See, it's not only my lack of anticipation that I go as far to buy the individual issues, but I do want to be in a quantum amount of help in regards to helping the sales go well. Last thing I want to see is letting Bond disappear from the world of comics for another 20 years.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 28,694
    The best thing that ever happened to comics was the superhero film genre. Sales would probably be horrendously low without the massive impact of the universes that made heroes like Iron Man go from forgotten to household names.

If Dynamite have any advantage in the market, it's the Bond brand, which you'd hope would support them and bump sales. I feel bad for smaller publishers and indies that don't have any form of that marketability. With how horribly ubiquitous digital sales are, I worry for a day where people don't bother printing tangible issues of any comics.
    edited March 2017 Posts: 15,423
    That, sadly, Brady, is the inevitable, where everything will be installed on some sort of a tablet device and people will cease touching papers and books will be a thing of the past. I fear that day will come.
    I just hope I'm too buried over in dirt to care by the time that comes.
    I don't know if anyone's seen/posted this from elsewhere -- but here's an interview with Kieron Gillen re: SERVICE. http://comicsalliance.com/kieron-gillen-james-bond-interview/
    This was an interesting interview. Found another one like it, as well:
    http://www.cbr.com/interview-kieron-gillen-james-bond-007/
    edited March 2017 Posts: 5,185

This article suffers from some inaccurate info (VERY few if any comics are selling 100,000 copies per issue these days!) as well as a lack of context. (What's the current issue of the average Dynamite title selling these days?) I won't claim that Dynamite is flawless in their actions regarding the Bond franchise...but these bar graphs are not unusual from what I'm seeing in the comics field these days. By all means, support the series BY BUYING THE INDIVIDUAL ISSUES rather than waiting for the compilations...but let's not give up the ship just yet!
    Dynamite seriously needs to step their Marketing game up! They could do a bigger campaign with the upcoming CR graphic novel, and use the name recognition to remind people of the rest of the already published comics.

@00Agent, I think you overestimate what the marketing department for any non-Marvel or DC comics publisher is financially capable of doing. Smaller publishers depend on word-of-mouth from fans like us to promote the product. I routinely give out Christmas presents composed of GN collections of material I think the recipient will enjoy. Spread the word yourself and become a freelance marketing department of one!

I certainly don't know much about comic sales @BeatlesSansEarmuffs,
    and i agree that the article should have included sales figures from other popular series just for perspective. They did say that Bond dropped out of the top 200 of monthly sales Though. But i do understand that Bond comics have to be build from the ground up and no one should rely on the brand name alone. Bond hasn't realy been part of comics for the last almost 30 years.
    Thats what quality writers and reviews, and as you said word-of-mouth are for.

it just boggles my mind why the series is dropping issue by issue. you would think at some point the numbers become stable, no? I hope that this will change in the not too distant future, for example i would hope that the Hammerhead Hardcover would do as good as Vargr did. And i hope that CR can bring some attention as well. We will have to see.

I certainly won't abandon the series and i continue collecting everything i can. Also i promote it to my friends (got one hooked already)
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 850
    Dynamyte start to publish their serie before they were entierely completed by the writters/artists. That's extremly dangerous ! Remind you : they are 3 Bond's comics in the 90's who have NEVER been complete, + Permissions to die have one of his issue delyaed by TWO YEARS. They shouln't do that.
    Only two incomplete comics, @moneyofpropre2.

A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye. Those are the only two incomplete Bond comics.
    Dynamyte start to publish their serie before they were entierely completed by the writters/artists. That's extremly dangerous ! Remind you : they are 3 Bond's comics in the 90's who have NEVER been complete, + Permissions to die have one of his issue delyaed by TWO YEARS. They shouln't do that.

Comics deadlines are brutal on writers and artists, that's just how it goes. Money has to be made, product needs to be pushed. In a perfect world people would be able to take all the time they needed to make things perfect, but that's not a world we live in.

A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye. Those are the only two incomplete Bond comics.

We can't say Minute of Midnight have an ending too. They try to compress 3 issues in one and in the result, no end.

We can't say Minute of Midnight have an ending too. They try to compress 3 issues in one and in the result, no end.
    Minute of Midnight does feel like it was the set-up of a bigger story arc, but Dark Horse 'officially' concluded it as they didn't have enough time to inject further installments in the presumably planned arc and they were running out of time as their license wasn't renewed so they published what they've had in the pipeline in the most convenient way they could find possible.
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 850
    Do we care that the publisher have "officialy" or "unofficialy" conclude the comics or why ? The only thing who is important is that nobody know the end of the story (enven if we know the end of the comics), what happen after the villain launch the plan for the abduction or M ?
    If Dynamyte start to publish comics who are not yet finish, there is a chance that one day, one of their serie can be strongly delayed or cancelled before having an ending (proper ending or not). That just dangerous.
    Do we care that the publisher have "officialy" or "unofficialy" conclude the comics or why ? The only thing who is important is that nobody know the end of the story (we only know the end of the comics), what happen after the villain launch the plan for the abduction or M ?
    If Dynamyte start to publish comics who are not yet finish, there is a chance that one day, one of their serie can be strongly delayed or cancelled before having an ending (proper ending or not). That just dangerous.

If the writer or artist can't meet a deadline (which Ellis is apparently infamous for) that's not on Dynamite. They have to sell their issues on the agreed period, and it's on the creative teams to meet their dates successfully as contracted. That's all there is to it. It's not dangerous, it's just how the industry works.
    If it's officially done, it's officially done. You can't claim the otherwise. There are many films, novels, books and even video games that are left with cliffhangers with no continuation of such given to them. It's like hoping to find out whatever happened to Charlie Croker at the end of The Italian Job, but they finished it off. No sequel whatsoever.

That rogue agent planned the abduction of M and they were obviously related to the notorious organization called Cerberus. Midnight was released before Shattered Helix (if I recall correctly) and that was when Bond finished Cerberus off for good, so you'll have to assume their plans have failed and they don't exist anymore. Kind of like the SPECTRE stay-behind leftovers in Eidolon. The heads are cut off, and the few remaining tentacles have become useless.
    I not agree, if comics is cancelled before being complete because the writer or artist can't meet a deadline it's partially on Dynamite because they choose, it's their politics, to start publishing before know is they will have the following issue one day. The fact that was how the industry work doesn't say that it's not a dangerous thing for the reader.

For Liight of : like I said, the comics issue is done, I can't claim otherwise, but the story have no conclusion and nobody can't claim otherwise too.

Business and a reader's opinion are not the same thing. If they decide to put an end to it (not cancel it, that's a different thing), then it's the end.

Minute of Midnight was officially done. There was no issued announced that was to be released afterwards. It was given an end and that was done. Obviously it 'seems' (note the keyword) the intention was to set up a bigger story arc, but Minute of Midnight is given its 'End'. There were no further anticipated issues scheduled to come out, unlike the remaining two issues of A Silent Armageddon.