Dynamite's Bond comics and graphic novels

Comments

The numbers are not good when looking at the top 2 publishers. In fact, that is usually when Marvel starts to cancel a title, BUT Dynamite is not Marvel and has different expectations being a smaller publisher. The first issues also usually have more variants, making for more copies sold as you have to hit a certain number to get them. So yeah, the numbers may look abysmal compared to Batman, but Dynamite might be happy with them. They are certainly cranking out the product!
  • edited March 2017 Posts: 3,564
    Dynamyte start to publish their serie before they were entierely completed by the writters/artists. That's extremly dangerous ! Remind you : they are 3 Bond's comics in the 90's who have NEVER been complete, + Permissions to die have one of his issue delyaed by TWO YEARS. They shouln't do that.
    Only two incomplete comics, @moneyofpropre2.

A Silent Armageddon and GoldenEye. Those are the only two incomplete Bond comics.

Permission to Die was released by Eclipse Comics, who had........some significant financial and editorial problems of their own. These probably account for the delay of that title. GoldenEye was cancelled over an editorial dispute between Topps Comics and Eon. I'm not aware of the circumstances behind the "Silent Armageddon" silencing.

Comics sales ROUTINELY see an increase in the beginning of a highly anticipated new story arc, and a decline as that arc nears its end. This has a lot to do with the "collector mentality" that sees first issues as more inherently valuable than second or third or sixth issues. I'll be interested in seeing how the numbers for the stand alone "Black Box" title stack up against the ones we've been shown.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    Ordered the hard back special edition FELIX LEITER and HAMMERHEAD just now. They'll come out in September, June respectively (the German version of it).
    @ClarkDevlin
    thanks for all the info!

I have EIDOLON with me and it has been read already by a dozen or so recruits, they treat that book like their own life (because they know what I will do to them if they are not :P )
  • CigaretteLeiterCigaretteLeiter United States
    BondBlackBox-002-4.jpg?auto=format&cs=tinysrgb&q=20&w=864&h=1327&fit=crop

Looks like Lobosco was on the "Clive Owen for Bond" wagon
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    These Bond artists love drawing aquariums.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I can hardly wait for tomorrow.
  • Agent_99Agent_99 enjoys a spirited ride as much as the next girl
    Kieron Gillen signing, Forbidden Planet London, Wednesday 24 May:

https://forbiddenplanet.com/events/2017/05/24/kieron-gillen-signing-james-bond-service-special-e/

(I'm not a big comics reader but...but Spitfires.)
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    Just finished reading BLACK BOX #2... It truly does have the feel of the 1990s era Bond comics with Dark Horse Comics.
    Especially with the villain wearing a VR spectacles that computes every truth and fact before him. Definitely reminds me of A Silent Armageddon in a humble extent.
    Hmm. Not too sure if I enjoyed the latest issue of Black Box or not. It's certainly a departure from the other Dynamite stories which is a good thing. (As much as I loved Hammerhead it is great to see different writers bring different takes on the character)

As a stand alone issue it's hard to tell how the story is progressing or just what everything is building up to but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more when I read the collected graphic novel.

It sort of reminded me of an episode of the James Bond Jr cartoon than any of the movies, but here's hoping for a fun 6 part arc.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    TR007 wrote: »
    Hmm. Not too sure if I enjoyed the latest issue of Black Box or not. It's certainly a departure from the other Dynamite stories which is a good thing. (As much as I loved Hammerhead it is great to see different writers bring different takes on the character)

As a stand alone issue it's hard to tell how the story is progressing or just what everything is building up to but I'm sure I'll enjoy it more when I read the collected graphic novel.

It sort of reminded me of an episode of the James Bond Jr cartoon than any of the movies, but here's hoping for a fun 6 part arc.

I pretty much agree with you @TR007
    This issue was a big departure from the other Dynamite stories and in some ways even from issue #1. I felt Bond had a bit less to do this time and i was dissapointed that we did not see the chase through the tokyo market which i was hoping for (i guess next time, so thats fine)

But overall it felt very 90's like ClarkDevlin said, almost cartoony in a way. (i can't stop thinking about Ninja Turtles after reading it, lol) as someone who grew up in the 90's i really don't mind.

I am sure it will be great once the whole volume is out.

My only real problem, as with #1, was the inconsistent style in which James Bond is drawn.
    In some panels he almost reminded me of Bruno Mars...
    and sometimes he almost looks italian..
    Agreed. The only artist so far that impressed me immensely is Luca Casalanguida along with his colourist fellow, Chris Blythe.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Bond looks very weird in Black Box. Like a clown wearing the make-up of James Bond.
    Agreed. The art is definitely not a top notch. I guess they're somewhat trying though. I feel like we're back at the randomness of the Dark Horse Comics all over again.
    Agreed. The art is definitely not a top notch. I guess they're somewhat trying though. I feel like we're back at the randomness of the Dark Horse Comics all over again.

By which you mean a lack of artistic (and writing) consistency?
    Exactly.

I cant help but see Le Chiffre in the background.

Gettler wrote: »

I cant help but see Le Chiffre in the background.
    He changed his shirt. His cameo appearance led him to perspire. :))
    Well he isnt weeping blood...yet.
    The thing that isn't really working for me with Black Box is mainly the art. Something that didn't sit well with me throughout the VARGR and Eidolon run. Whereas Hammerhead and Felix Leiter are given exquisite styles of art that makes them look like distinguished comics rather than just average rushed cash-ins. Heck, if they're smart enough, they'll hire Paul Gulacy again for the art.

Story-wise, I've no complaints regarding Black Box just yet. Then again, we'll see where this goes. I'm excited about the upcoming events surrounding the Suicide Forest. I'm expecting something in the vein of survival genre there.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    edited April 2017 Posts: 13,894
    Having picked up #6 of Hammerhead earlier in the week, I was finally ready to read it from start to finish. I honestly don't think I could rank VARGR, Eidolon and Hammerhead, as i've enjoyed them about the same. One thing did bother me with Hammerhead, how did Bond figure out the identity of Kraken?

While reading the climax around Hammerhead, I was hearing 'The Countdown' from TND, in my head.

1:31 is where I imagined Bond firing Hammerhead at Kraken. That gripe I mentioned, aside, I know want the trade hardback, so I can re-read Hammerhead.
    edited April 2017 Posts: 15,423
    @MajorDSmythe while it isn't explained thoroughly, I can only come to one conclusion: Victoria's convenient presence at every place in the right time, and especially when the nuclear device he was set to defuse at Fox's headquarters proved to be empty, Bond tied the contradictions up and deduced rather quickly. There couldn't have been any inside man. The mercenaries who attacked Lord Hunt at the cocktail party in Dubai used APHEX rounds in their rifles, a bullet developed and manufactured by Hunt Engineering that wasn't released in the market, yet. Victoria hired those. It all adds up indirectly as M and the crew were invited into a conference meeting and they ended up getting captured at a highly secure location. No way an outsider could've stormed in. It was Victoria all along.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    YES!!!
    Fantastic! What a surprise.
    Can't wait for this in July. Thanks for the heads up @ggl007
    Bond goes up against the CIA, I wonder if he goes to Felix for information on his former employers?

Love this cover art for it.
    BondKillChain001CovASmallwood.jpg
    That art is so, so stellar. They feel like vintage pulp covers.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    OMG! Freakin beautiful
    @-)
    Sweet, another one the way. This is exciting.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    That cover is great.
    I love Greg Smallwood's artwork the best. Very pulpy. Juan Doe's artwork reminds me of Blood Stone's main title sequence a lot.
  • BondJasonBond006BondJasonBond006 on fb and ajb
    I LOVE VARGR and EIDOLON and what I have read of HAMMERHEAD is also quite fantastic. :love:

Also already pre-ordered the Special Edition Books of HAMMERHEAD and FELIX LEITER :smiley:

Never thought I could get into something other than Batsy/JL/The Flash... but I'm addicted.

Also EIDOLON was a huge success with my army-brothers and they were very careful with the book (probably they know what would happen to them if not) :lol:

That blue KILL CHAIN cover could be from you @0BradyM0Bondfanatic7 which naturally is meant as a huge compliment.