The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Wasn't someone here going to do a fan edit of SP?
    @dominicgreene
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    jake24 wrote: »
    Wasn't someone here going to do a fan edit of SP?
    @dominicgreene

Ah yes. I actually did end up finishing it, a rough cut. It was a very interesting experience watching it back to myself. Maybe I should watch it again, or have someone else watch it just for fun. Not sure how I would go about it though. Maybe fanedit.org.
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    I meant to ask this when I watched it on Friday, and it may be answered in the novel but I haven't read it in so long.

What's the reason for Dr. No spiking the coffee once Bond and Honey arrive? Solely so he could come in and stare at Bond before leaving the room?

They don't discuss it in the book either. I think Dr No maybe wanted to see if Bond had any concealed weapons.
    In fact, it is discussed in the novel. Quote :

"I have prepared you for the experience as best I could. I gave you a sedative so that your body should be rested and I have fed you well so that you may be at full strength."

Chapter 16 : "Horizons of Agony"
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    But why is he staring at him like that? It s creepy.
    To see if Bond and Honey (who he stares at as well, remember) will make a suitable candidate for his experiments. Hey, he's a doctor, remember ?
    I think he returned and did more than stare later.
    With these hands ? I don't think so.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I think he returned and did more than stare later.

No wonder Honey was still feeling incredibly sleepy after she woke up.
    Look, Dr No Hands.

If you know what I mean.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    Dr. No seems quite asexual to me, so I don't get the feeling he had an attraction to either Bond or Honey.
    He hides it well.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    He just wanted to see the man face to face first, thinking "So, this is the man who keeps interfering in my business."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He just wanted to see the man face to face first, thinking "So, this is the man who keeps interfering in my business."

I could see that being the case. Seems to be the only plausible explanation.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I could see that being the case. Seems to be the only plausible explanation.
    He just approached him with hatred, the way he threw the sheet back at him, it was an equivalent of spitting someone in the face.
    But why is he staring at him like that? It s creepy.

Some people see homoerotic undertones in that scene. However, I personally prefer ClarkDevlin's explanation.
  • 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"

That's how I've always seen it too, @ClarkDevlin. This is backed up during the dinner scene where Dr. No explains that he spared Bond in order to recruit his skills for SPECTRE, as he foiled his plans so magnificently.

That's how I've always seen it too, @ClarkDevlin. This is backed up during the dinner scene where Dr. No explains that he spared Bond in order to recruit his skills for SPECTRE, as he foiled his plans so magnificently.
    Precisely!
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Were any ideas from Dalton's "Bond 17" carried over to Goldeneye?
    Thanks.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    In the fact the Dr. No of the novel was not a real doctor at all, although the film version was.
  • Who killed Felicca? She sacrified herself, Bond used her as a shield like he did with Fiona Volpe or, as I read recently, Sandor is a bit of a lousy shot?
    edited November 2016 Posts: 15,423
    I don't think Felicca really used herself as a shield. Bond didn't notice the gun until after it was shot. He couldn't have spun her around without having a reason.
  • So it would be Sandor doing his job, quite lousily because Bond catched him, he catched Bond's tie and then had a bad case of plunging into the air.

• MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Actually if Sandor didn't try fighting Bond on the roof and stayed hidden he probably could have gotten away.
    Yes, Sandor was the sloppy one, and Bond the one who outsmarts the other.
  • Milton Reid, expert in countless silly deaths (Phibes and the phone =)) ). Bless his memory.
    Milton Reid, expert in countless silly deaths (Phibes and the phone =)) ). Bless his memory.
    You should've seen him in No. 1 of The Secret Service. :))
  • Milton Reid, expert in countless silly deaths (Phibes and the phone =)) ). Bless his memory.

I don't have this one in my Bond copycat collection. Let's see if I'm able to find it... And you've given me an idea for a post...
    Milton Reid, expert in countless silly deaths (Phibes and the phone =)) ). Bless his memory.

I don't have this one in my Bond copycat collection. Let's see if I'm able to find it... And you've given me an idea for a post...
    It's perhaps the most bizarre Bond copycat film ever made. It's so bad it's good! :))