The James Bond Questions Thread

Comments

• 0BradyM0Bondfanatic70BradyM0Bondfanatic7 Quantum Floral Arrangements: "We Have Petals Everywhere"
    The Great James Bond Explosions Elimination Game anybody? lol

The one that happened in my heart (and elsewhere) when I saw Eva Green for the first time in CR.

WINNER!
    Im sure my comment would rather fit the controversial topic but I think money could have also been better spent during Bronson's era on the scripts.
    Gettler wrote: »
    Im sure my comment would rather fit the controversial topic but I think money could have also been better spent during Bronson's era on the scripts.

Question : what does Charles Bronson has to do with anything in the James Bond world ? Was he involved in any way ? Because I see that name creeping more and more often in the forums (and it doesn't date from yesterday either, it happened already on Usenet).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Gerard wrote: »
    Gettler wrote: »

Question : what does Charles Bronson has to do with anything in the James Bond world ? Was he involved in any way ? Because I see that name creeping more and more often in the forums (and it doesn't date from yesterday either, it happened already on Usenet).
    His mustache inspired Daniel Craig to sport a trimmed beard in Skyfall.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Hey, don't badmouth Charles Bronson. He's been known to kill with kindness. ;)
    tumblr_n1wba19ds51qedb29o1_500.gif
    Lifelong Bronson fan here. ;)
    Make that two! :D
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    ggl007 wrote: »
    In Pearson's biography it is said that "Boofy" was changed as a name for Mr. Kidd in Diamonds are Forever.

Could someone confirm this, please? In my Spanish version, it is translated as "Dolly" ??? and in my pdf online-downloaded version "Boofy" it is, so there would be no change.

?

Could someone check his DAF version on the self, please? Thanks!
    IGUANNA wrote: »
    Why is Bond's face covered in dirt at the end of the getting ready montage at Skyfall?
    It was Boofy indeed, named after a friend of his, but his friend wanted the name change
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Bond is always in dangerous situations and those situations can often carry into the eyes of the public, but something Bond would never do is risk the lives of innocents if he could do anything to stop it.

Have you not seen TND?

Bond is always in dangerous situations and those situations can often carry into the eyes of the public, but something Bond would never do is risk the lives of innocents if he could do anything to stop it.

Have you not seen TND?
    Where did Bond threaten the lives of innocents in TND?
    That beloved parking house scene.
    There weren't any civilians in the parking lot... Or are you referring to the bit where the BMW fell off to the home video store?
    Yes, and it was the local Avis delaership, not a video store. Unforgivable, that.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    He also recklessly smashes through buildings and runs over cop cars carelessly during the GE tank chase.
    All in a day's work.
    There weren't any civilians in the parking lot... Or are you referring to the bit where the BMW fell off to the home video store?

It didn t just fall. He deliberately steered it over the edge, regardless of who might stroll past beneath. Women, children, whoever.
    I blame necrophilia.
    edited September 2016 Posts: 15,423
    The tank chase was worse in GoldenEye. Or the PTS train sequence in Skyfall.
    I guess the TND scene bothers me more because he grins like an ADHD kid on sugar. And right after someone he presumably loved had been murdered, too. Bond is a complete asshole in this film.
    Why should you hate me so much? :))

Yes, he is an asshole. Connery's, Moore's and Brosnan's Bonds have always been assholes, but likable ones at that!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

It didn t just fall. He deliberately steered it over the edge, regardless of who might stroll past beneath. Women, children, whoever.

But he did honk the horn to warn people below to get out of the way. It's a case of "suspension of disbelief" that this would be enough warning to make it safe, but the Bond series as a whole requires a lot of "suspension of disbelief".
    I guess the TND scene bothers me more because he grins like an ADHD kid on sugar. And right after someone he presumably loved had been murdered, too. Bond is a complete asshole in this film.

We all have our ways of dealing with grief. Nothing like unwinding after a rough day. ;)
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited September 2016 Posts: 17,830
    In Pearson's biography it is said that "Boofy" was changed as a name for Mr. Kidd in Diamonds are Forever.

Could someone confirm this, please? In my Spanish version, it is translated as "Dolly" ??? and in my pdf online-downloaded version "Boofy" it is, so there would be no change.

?

I can't confirm it myself as I don't have a reprint but I think that it must have been only in the reprints of the Jonathan Cape first edition of DAF where it was changed (to 'Dolly' as 'Boofy' was a real life person) as it remains the same in the Pan paperback editions.

Fleming stated that he would have the name changed in later editions of the novel after his friend complained about the use of his name in the novel. For more information, have a read of my article here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/james-bond-novels-that-were-edited.html
    edited September 2016 Posts: 3,000
    At the beginning of AVTAK, why did they feel the need to put the disclaimer, "Zorin does not refer to any real person or company"? What person or company were they afraid would take offense? It's not like TND needed to open with, "Elliot Carver is definitely not Rupert Murdoch."
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    At the beginning of AVTAK, why did they feel the need to put the disclaimer, "Zorin does not refer to any real person or company"? What person or company were they afraid would take offense? It's not like TND needed to open with, "Elliot Carver is definitely not Rupert Murdoch."

"The disclaimer, "Neither the name Zorin nor any other name or character in this film is meant to portray a real company or actual person" was added after producers discovered a real company known as Zoran Ladicorbic Ltd. Their industry was fashion design."
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    Dragonpol wrote: »

?

I can't confirm it myself as I don't have a reprint but I think that it must have been only in the reprints of the Jonathan Cape first edition of DAF where it was changed (to 'Dolly' as 'Boofy' was a real life person) as it remains the same in the Pan paperback editions.

Fleming stated that he would have the name changed in later editions of the novel after his friend complained about the use of his name in the novel. For more information, have a read of my article here:

http://thebondologistblog.blogspot.co.uk/2012/08/james-bond-novels-that-were-edited.html

Thanks, @Dragonpol! I have your article printed in paper ;) but, apparently, it's not clear if Fleming changed it or not...
    Creasy47 wrote: »

"The disclaimer, "Neither the name Zorin nor any other name or character in this film is meant to portray a real company or actual person" was added after producers discovered a real company known as Zoran Ladicorbic Ltd. Their industry was fashion design."

Ah...interesting. Thanks!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Dragonpol wrote: »

?

Thanks, @Dragonpol! I have your article printed in paper ;) but, apparently, it's not clear if Fleming changed it or not...

Yes, it's difficult to get a definitive answer unless one can check a later edition Cape DAF imprint. What we do know is that Fleming at least intended to incorporate the 'Dolly' change into later hardback editions. Whether this was in fact carried out or not is unclear currently.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

The evil Max Zoran who reintroduced corduroy flares.