No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

peter wrote: »
    Anyone who works with Craig, and I know a couple of the lucky bastards, have said the same thing: polite, respectful and a true professional. One of the guys I know and I am working with on a project of my own, is one of the biggest second unit guys (with an academy award to back up his talent), says Craig is a gamer (which means he dives into everything).

I have heard nothing bad about the guy.

I do believe, unfortunately, this is his last. So, as Bond fans, lets enjoy it-- and drown out the sewer-garbage from TNYP and it's ilk! This is the man who rode in on CR, QoS (I still love it), SF... (and yes, a weaker effort in SP)...

I think CF is hitting this, with DC, out of the park (feels reminiscent of the CR hate-bating). Get ready haters...

I hadn't read this post of yours, @peter. But that's exactly what I think. Good to have it corroborated by someone in the inside. As always, thanks for the clarity and lucidity.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited April 2019 Posts: 4,043
    I'd say Craig showed far more enthusiasm for the part than Connery ever did, certainly far more respect.

Craig isn't looking at the role with fan boy wonder like Pierce did, he approaches the part like an actor doing a role.

I've heard him say countless times he loves playing Bond and it is a privilege so @PanchitoPistoles I don't get where you are coming from.

He only used the wrist slashing comment after SPECTRE and I think that was as he was dissatisfied with the film he'd just been in, whereas CR & SF he was delighted with it.

Even QOS he seemed more enthusiastic about than he did SP, look he was working with a director he'd clearly fallen out with who from all evidence didn't have his heart in the project.

He said in those interviews that he was more excited than ever to get started and going out with a bang, so if that is him bored with the role I want to see him when he's over to moon about returning.

I personally like others think this will be his last, if he feels he's done then he should depart the role. The internet has been literally quoting is every word and sometimes out context and the likes of you are adding to the idea he hates playing Bond when the evidence when you look at it say completely the opposite.

Also, DC going is not going to signal Nolan taking the reins of the series.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 9,770
    Craig is a good actor, but the franchise desperately needs someone who actually likes and appreciates playing Bond. This has to be Craig's last film.

And you would be ok with say Tom Hardy as 007 ....

No did t think so... again I love anti craigers because they assume their choice of whomever will be it after all Aidan Turner (or inset whomever you want) is so perfect how could babs not see it

However to be 110% honest in 2005 Adrian Paul was my perfect 007 as a huge highlander fan if not him then definitely Peter Winfield (another highlander alum) .... it was neither

It was some guy named Daniel Craig and he was better then I could of hoped.... so yeah let’s just relax for now
    Univex wrote: »

I'm not his biggest fan, that's for sure. But that's to do with his image and with the way I imagine Bond. I like to identify with the character, even physically, and I can't with someone who looks he came in from the cold, from Siberia maybe, I don't know. But I do appreciate his contribution, and I think he is a superb actor if given the right material to work with, has a superb voice and mannerisms, which harken to the panther like Connery. So, I'm all for having him do another after the 25th. If he doesn't, I won't loose sleep over it. But I'll tremble to think which choice they'll make next. Can be far worse. Much worse. The only candidate I like so far is Turner.

Craig may think Barbara Broccoli doesn't like any of the other candidates and it's sort of an insurance policy? If she can't find an ideal replacement and MGM want another Bond film in three years time, he can play hardball, up his fee and return for a sixth? Who knows, perhaps this is his last film, I'm guessing it is, but he could look longer term and think I will leave but do a 'Never Say Never Again' type return if Babs can't find someone else. That might be in the back of his mind.

Just my 2 penneth. Given the rise in social media, fake news, dumbing down and 27/7 news coverage, DC puts up with far than previous Bond actors IMHO. The slightest slip, the slightest hint is picked up by the media and turned into something. It's not just him obviously. Matt Damon made some comment last year re MeToo and got hammered for it. Check out this interview from MM last week. "One word wrong and you're a dead person".
    https://www.theguardian.com/film/2019/apr/25/mads-mikkelsen-one-word-wrong-and-youre-a-dead-person?CMP=share_btn_fb&fbclid=IwAR12VFcqcafbPiI5zIKVFBKX3S5YRoyc2OJPCZff91yYyNzDeHav6XSEkUU
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    "If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money."

And you guys still defend him? Ignorance is bliss to a whole new level.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    If I'm being honest, I couldn't care less about how he feels about it. He's doing it. He's a good Bond and this is shaping up to be a good film. All this other stuff is just fluff to me. Thank you for your time.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Are we seriously still discussing the “slash my wrists”/“doing it for the money” remarks? Let’s please put that to rest already.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Are we seriously still discussing the “slash my wrists”/“doing it for the money” remarks? Let’s please put that to rest already.

No, we need to bring it up daily for decades to come.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Denbigh wrote: »
    If I'm being honest, I couldn't care less about how he feels about it. He's doing it. He's a good Bond and this is shaping up to be a good film. All this other stuff is just fluff to me. Thank you for your time.

I kind of agree. Ultimately all that matters is the quality of the film. I've read so many times that Connery was supposedly phoning it in for YOLT but do I care (not that I think this is remotely true anyway)?

The problem with Craig is really just about his professionalism. Those wrist slashing comments were stupid and unprofessional. He was supposed to be promoting the new film not navel gazing and feeling sorry for himself. He simply should not have said those things in an interview- it was self indulgient and wrong. As simple as that.

Having said this it really has very little to do with whether he's a good Bond or whether the films are any good. As others have said, Connery has often sounded like an rather petulant and unapppreciative spoilt child when discussing Bond. But it's all noise at the end of the day.

Brosnan was always charming and enthusiastic in interviews but there isn't really a single scene from any of his films I'd miss if the EON archives went up in smoke.

Craig is grumpy and frankly not very articulate in most interviews, but he's a decent Bond and that's all that matters at the end of the day.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Unfortunately @DonnyDB5, a lot of members here just like to moan. Now we’ve had the “conference” and they can’t complain about that anymore, they need something else, so why not completely reassess once again how Craig feels about the franchise?
    Sadly the live launch was very amateurish and no one seemed to have been briefed on what they should say or have given the whole thing much thought. So it didn't cast Craig in a very positive light. But again all that really matters is the quality of the film. Having said this EON could make things easier for themselves but just doing some basic planning and employing a decent publicist/PR outfit.

The slapdash approach to the Goldeneye event just reinforces a (probably unfair) perception on my part that EON really do deserve some of the criticism that comes their way. I mean MGW thinking it was normal not to announce the film title - doesn't suggest he's really top of his game.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    It’s funny how people complain about Craig being whiny and negative, fixating on two off the cuff dumb comments in the course of his 13 years and hundreds of interviews... and yet they never apply self-examination to their fixation to realize it’s the definition of whiny and negative.

• StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    edited April 2019 Posts: 108
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/james-bond-goes-back-roots-14836656

"But we can reveal that crews are also planning to record scenes in the Highlands.
    A source said: “Main cast members are due to arrive in Scotland for filming around August. Locations in the Highlands and Aviemore have been scouted and filming is expected to last for just over a week."

“As is the norm with Bond films, a number of locations across the world are being used. The schedule is tight and simultaneous production can take place in more than one location at a time.”

Grain of salt, of course.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    It’s funny how people complain about Craig being whiny and negative, fixating on two off the cuff dumb comments in the course of his 13 years and hundreds of interviews... and yet they never apply self-examination to their fixation to realize it’s the definition of whiny and negative.
    +10000000
  • ContrabandContraband Sweden
    ggl007 wrote: »
    Contraband wrote: »

My guess is when they start shooting today it will be at the fake villa somewhere along the coastline of Port Antonio/Portland. Clue? The five star hotel Trident with the actors (map) is in that costal area. Pure logic tells me they won't drive very far to the location.
    Ana's instagram photo is from that hotel.

Yeah I know. That was my lead in :-) Just posted in the filming thread what I think is the actual location for the set piece villa. Done some serious research..
    (Also posted in the other thread)

Fresh article today, jamaicaobserver.com, Babs & Michael on why they choose Jamaica

What's in a location?
    The producers discuss why film Bond 25 in Jamaica

https://jamaicaobserver.com/entertainment/

My guess is when they start shooting today it will be at the fake villa somewhere along the coastline of Port Antonio/Portland. Clue? The five star hotel Trident with the actors (map) is in that costal area. Pure logic tells me they won't drive very far to the location.

Been trying to find the villa (small sandbank really) with the help from the snippet of the set building/sandbank/leafy lagoon shown in the press conf. Not an easy task.

Wild idea: Someone should email Observers journalist who interviewed Babs/Michael and ask him politely more about the area, possible location(s), sending us (this forum) fresh pics/vids, etc, unless there's already some hardcore fan in the area?

I know the area a little and posted a few possible locations in the filming thread. San San beach. Frenchmans Cove. Blue Lagoon. Trident Castle. The town of Port Antonio itself. A wealth of beautiful private houses on the coast and in the hills behind.

They also filmed the Tom Cruise movie Cocktail in this area. The resort is still there but disused and abandoned.
    I didn't find anything whiny or negative about Craig in the B25 interviews at all, especially when asked about his future in the role. I'm baffled as to how people are seeing this. He's just his normal Craig self here. He joked he always says the current film is his last. He probably just wants to focus on making his film as good as possible, so he goes out i style if he eventually does resign afterwards.

BTW, has the Jamaican Fleming estate name been officially changed from Goldeneye to GoldenEye? When did that happen?
    Getafix wrote: »

Fresh article today, jamaicaobserver.com, Babs & Michael on why they choose Jamaica

What's in a location?

Been trying to find the villa (small sandbank really) with the help from the snippet of the set building/sandbank/leafy lagoon shown in the press conf. Not an easy task.

Wild idea: Someone should email Observers journalist who interviewed Babs/Michael and ask him politely more about the area, possible location(s), sending us (this forum) fresh pics/vids, etc, unless there's already some hardcore fan in the area?

I know the area a little and posted a few possible locations in the filming thread. San San beach. Frenchmans Cove. Blue Lagoon. Trident Castle.

They also filmed the Tom Cruise movie Cocktail in this area. The resort is still there but disused and abandoned.

I know that about the Cocktail-beach. Seen the pics with the old bar area.

Regarding Bond I think the fake villa has been built within the blue lagoon. Just posted pics in comparison in the filming thread.

What's in a location?

I know the area a little and posted a few possible locations in the filming thread. San San beach. Frenchmans Cove. Blue Lagoon. Trident Castle.

Regarding Bond I think the fake villa has been built within the blue lagoon. Just posted pics in comparison in the filming thread.

Funny you say this. I had been about to suggest it as a possible location for Bond's house based on the photos I'd seen.

The guy who owns Trident hotel (a Chinese Jamaican busienssman) also I believe owns some of the shoreline around the Blue Lagoon and has been planning to redevelop it for years.

Michael Lee Chin is the guy.
    http://old.jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20090809/business/business1.html

There's an old Chinese community in Jamaica. Very successful in business and music production. Byron Lee was ethnically Chinese I think.

This article says he's Canadian but pretty sure he has Jamaican heritage.

http://jamaica-gleaner.com/gleaner/20150125/lead/lead2.html

Francesca von Habsburg owns one of the most beautiful private villas in the area.

https://kingstonbellearchive.wordpress.com/2017/03/03/inside-the-habsburg-retreat/

What's in a location?

Funny you say this. I had been about to suggest it as a possible location for Bond's house based on the photos I'd seen.

The guy who owns Trident hotel (a Chinese Jamaican busienssman) also I believe owns some of the shoreline around the Blue Lagoon and has been planning to redevelop it for years.

There's an old Chinese community in Jamaica. Very successful in business and music production. Byron Lee was ethnically Chinese I think.

Francesca von Habsburg owns one of the most beautiful private villas in the area.

https://kingstonbellearchive.wordpress.com/2017/03/03/inside-the-habsburg-retreat/

On second thoughts looking at the photos you sourced on the other thread I am not so sure it's Blue Lagoon. There's not much in the way of beach there. Hard to tell.

What's in a location?

That makes real good sense, the connection with the ownership of Trident hotel and the lagoon. I think we're on to something here. Since the lagoon is 'declining' maybe EON has promised to spruce things up around the lake/shore while using it as a location. And further more, think of the global marketing value, especially for Michael Lee-Chins brand/company.

Also read somewhere that the lagoon is protected by law. Fragile nature, I guess.
  • RC7RC7
    RC7 wrote: »
    Craig is a good actor, but the franchise desperately needs someone who actually likes and appreciates playing Bond. This has to be Craig's last film.

Where is the evidence that Craig neither likes nor appreciates it? I know you’re being deliberately provocative, but do share.
    "- Can you imagine doing another Bond movie?
    - ‘Now? I’d rather break this glass and slash my wrists. No, not at the moment. Not at all. That’s fine. I’m over it at the moment. We’re done. All I want to do is move on.’

- You want to move on from Bond for good?
    - ‘I haven’t given it any thought. For at least a year or two, I just don’t want to think about it. I don’t know what the next step is. I’ve no idea. Not because I’m trying to be cagey. Who the fuck knows? At the moment, we’ve done it. I’m not in discussion with anybody about anything. If I did another Bond movie, it would only be for the money.’"

https://www.timeout.com/london/film/daniel-craig-interview-my-advice-to-the-next-james-bond-dont-be-shit

Forget the "slash my wrists" comment and focus on the last sentence.

To understand his comments you have to understand Craig. Perhaps it’s because I’m from his neck of the woods, where misanthropy and irony go hand in hand. Take it at face value if you must, I’m sure it suits the party line.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    StanKobra wrote: »
    https://www.dailyrecord.co.uk/news/scottish-news/james-bond-goes-back-roots-14836656

"But we can reveal that crews are also planning to record scenes in the Highlands.
    A source said: “Main cast members are due to arrive in Scotland for filming around August. Locations in the Highlands and Aviemore have been scouted and filming is expected to last for just over a week."

“As is the norm with Bond films, a number of locations across the world are being used. The schedule is tight and simultaneous production can take place in more than one location at a time.”

Interesting. I'm imagining a scene where Bond
    stands over a hilltop looking at a destroyed Skyfall.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    edited April 2019 Posts: 3,497
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I'd say Craig showed far more enthusiasm for the part than Connery ever did, certainly far more respect.

Craig isn't looking at the role with fan boy wonder like Pierce did, he approaches the part like an actor doing a role.

I've heard him say countless times he loves playing Bond and it is a privilege so @PanchitoPistoles I don't get where you are coming from.

He only used the wrist slashing comment after SPECTRE and I think that was as he was dissatisfied with the film he'd just been in, whereas CR & SF he was delighted with it.

Even QOS he seemed more enthusiastic about than he did SP, look he was working with a director he'd clearly fallen out with who from all evidence didn't have his heart in the project.

He said in those interviews that he was more excited than ever to get started and going out with a bang, so if that is him bored with the role I want to see him when he's over to moon about returning.

I personally like others think this will be his last, if he feels he's done then he should depart the role. The internet has been literally quoting is every word and sometimes out context and the likes of you are adding to the idea he hates playing Bond when the evidence when you look at it say completely the opposite.

Also, DC going is not going to signal Nolan taking the reins of the series.

Guys, his comments were taken out of context.

He was obviously tired.

I can imagine that the SP shoot was a tedious one and everyone knows that Mendes and Daniel didn't get along anymore. Hence the complete lack of promotion by the former.

I cannot quite put it to words, but at some points you can actually see it in the movie. It's just "dull" here and there.

For those moaning and complaining about Craig looking bored or whatever: just have a look at YOLT or DAF.

Move on now and leave Panchitofinger in his own world.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    jake24 wrote: »

Skyfall 2.0 might as well get adele lol
  • NS_writingsNS_writings Buenos Aires
    If you want to see a Bond actor who did the role "just for money", look no further than Connery. He came back for DAF because they gave him a fortune and begged him to return. Then he went back for NSNA for money, and then out of spite for Cubby. Then he voiced Bond in FRWL The Game, I doubt he did it for marbles.

He's probably, out of all the Bond actors, the one that didn't remember his time on the role that well, much more than Craig or Dalton (I heard the latter even refuses to sign a Bond still lately).

So, really, I don't see all the fuzz that's going on.
  • I think if Bond 25 is amazing Craig might come back for one more time.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    jake24 wrote: »

Skyfall 2.0 might as well get adele lol
    If you want to see a Bond actor who did the role "just for money", look no further than Connery. He came back for DAF because they gave him a fortune and begged him to return. Then he went back for NSNA for money, and then out of spite for Cubby. Then he voiced Bond in FRWL The Game, I doubt he did it for marbles.

He's probably, out of all the Bond actors, the one that didn't remember his time on the role that well, much more than Craig or Dalton (I heard the latter even refuses to sign a Bond still lately).

So, really, I don't see all the fuzz that's going on.

1,25 million dollars... in 1971... would be how much now?

And is it true that he originally signed on for two movies? ;-)
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Clapperboard from Jamaica on Instagram!