The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

MP's have rejected May's deal for a third time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47752017
    So it’s either no deal Brexit or U.K. taking part in the EU elections in May. Either way, Farage wins. Labour was stupid not to vote for May’s deal which represented a relatively soft Brexit.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 19,339
    It’s my thread and referring to my country’s situation so I would like this closed immediately please @Birdleson ,and I mean immediately please.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    poolsclosed.jpg
    Ok due to popular demand this thread is re-opened .

Just use it properly and keep any personal comments out of it please,or I will close it permanently.

Let the debate begin !!
    I think May will get more of a sympathetic ear off Merkel today but not Macron. The whole thing is like a farcical merry go round.
    As an outsider I find it deeply fascinating how GB has managed to completely self destruct so badly! It's quite incredible! I have watched many interviews with previous Brexit supporters who have said "we didn't take into consideration the economical aspects of this". Which begs the question; concerning an agreement which has 95% to do with economics and trade, how is that possible?
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    Putin is lovin' it.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    If our spineless leaders had stood up to the EU like Slovakia there wouldn't have been a need for a referendum.
    The way the EU have behaved since Brexit proves that they hate the UK anyway. But hey, all people that voted leave are rascist bigots according to the media. My own country makes me sick. Apologist snowflakes abound.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,813
    If our spineless leaders had stood up to the EU like Slovakia there wouldn't have been a need for a referendum.
    The way the EU have behaved since Brexit proves that they hate the UK anyway. But hey, all people that voted leave are rascist bigots according to the media. My own country makes me sick. Apologist snowflakes abound.

There are plenty of members of this community (naming no names here) who have stated this view in their posts here, too. You could say it's media manipulation of opinion but it is also a deep seated belief of many on the Remain supporting side in the UK and elsewhere around the world. It's far from accurate, but that doesn't stop the lie from snowballing before the truth can get its boots on.

It seems to me that the general public at large simply love gross simplification. Perhaps the great lie is the only way they can understand complex events and situations that persistently defy ordinary categorisation or pigeon-holing? The bigger the lie, the easier it is for those impressionable enough to swallow it. In fact it's long been the cornerstone of all good and effective propaganda, from Hitler and Goebbels onwards.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    A while back, I saw a thing where a British bloke asked us (the U.S.) to vote for Trump so he wouldn't feel so bad about the Brexit vote. We were both being played. And still are....
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,564
    I'm an American, so I haven't felt like I had any kind of dog in this fight. But now, I wonder if perhaps I do...
    chrisisall wrote: »
    Putin is lovin' it.

Exactly. And if the enemy of my enemy is my friend, then I'm starting to wish the Brits could have a re-think of this matter. I was under the impression that the Brexit vote was a close one, and that once it had passed a surprising percentage of those who had voted for it expressed some ...."buyers' remorse".... over their choice. Certainly much of the US is feeling some extreme remorse over the way our own 2016 vote went, and the odds that "Russian meddling" had a hand in the way both elections went are...well, let's just say "open for discussion" and leave it at that. But still: the US electorate will have another go at this issue next year. Is there any possibility of our UK cousins having a re-examination of the Brexit matter as well?

By the way, my suggestion for a nugget of Fleming to build Bond 26 around comes from Goldfinger by way of Brexit and Trump: "Once is happenstance, Twice is coincidence. Three times is enemy action..."
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Brexit deadline set to be delayed until at least the end of 2019.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I will reiterate that this is not a sounding post for Trump. Many thanks.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    e4ad1daf5871cdd241851aac6fefdf56.jpg
    Whipped this up real quick. :D
    It feels like we’re on Brexit 25 now.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

There are plenty of members of this community (naming no names here) who have stated this view in their posts here, too. You could say it's media manipulation of opinion but it is also a deep seated belief of many on the Remain supporting side in the UK and elsewhere around the world. It's far from accurate, but that doesn't stop the lie from snowballing before the truth can get its boots on.

It seems to me that the general public at large simply love gross simplification. Perhaps the great lie is the only way they can understand complex events and situations that persistently defy ordinary categorisation or pigeon-holing? The bigger the lie, the easier it is for those impressionable enough to swallow it. In fact it's long been the cornerstone of all good and effective propaganda, from Hitler and Goebbels onwards.

Yes, you are thinking of how the populist pro leave politicians simplified an incredibly complex issue into a mundane discussion about immigration policy and old school nostalgia for semi imperialistic nationalism? Don´t try to change the obvious narrative here: If anyone were guilty of simplistic views on this matter, it was the pro leave brigade!
  • vzok wrote: »
    It feels like we’re on Brexit 25 now.

Brexit: Never Say Never Again and Again and Again and Again and Again and....
    e4ad1daf5871cdd241851aac6fefdf56.jpg
    Whipped this up real quick. :D

Lol! Brilliant!!!
    jobo wrote: »
    Dragonpol wrote: »

Yes, you are thinking of how the populist pro leave politicians simplified an incredibly complex issue into a mundane discussion about immigration policy and old school nostalgia for semi imperialistic nationalism? Don´t try to change the obvious narrative here: If anyone were guilty of simplistic views on this matter, it was the pro leave brigade!

Simply put the EU has become an all too powerful behemoth that wants all it's member countries to tow the line with whatever moronic law it wants to pass. British people don't like being pushed around and if our spineless so called goverment had the balls to stand up to them no referendum would have been demanded.
    Pretty simple really. The EU started as a trading bloc and has gradually become a fascist dictatorship. Have you heard of article 13? Fascism at its finest that will affect us all.

• 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    It is not simple.
    I do hope that an extension is given and that Britain moves forward in whichever way the majority of its citizens truly want at this point. How that is discerned, I cannot see yet.

The EU does not hate the UK, however they do not feel any need to give the Uk the special treatment they feel entitled to somehow. You cannot go for a divorce and want everything to be the same afterwards with all the benefits.
    As for the whole proces I find blaming the EU for the Shakespearian Shitshow the UK parliament has delivered these last two years is a bit silly. The political parties in the Uk have shown not to be overly preoccupied with the good for the UK but have been more busy with their own interests.
    I feel that the separation of the UK from Europe has not really been the interest of the UK parliament but their own interest were certainly.
    As for any fascist bits the UKIP and their close allies have shown more af that behaviour as anybody in Europe. Unless you mean the Hungarian government, those former East-bloc countries still feel charmed by the strongman politicians. .
    So ... now there is an extension until autumn? I'd like confirmation here from some of my U.K. friends. Thanks. I do hope this is true.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,813
    So ... now there is an extension until autumn? I'd like confirmation here from some of my U.K. friends. Thanks. I do hope this is true.

Yes, there is now an extension until Halloween: 31 October 2019.
    Great! :) That is very good news.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    SaintMark wrote: »

The EU does not hate the UK, however they do not feel any need to give the Uk the special treatment they feel entitled to somehow. You cannot go for a divorce and want everything to be the same afterwards with all the benefits.
    As for the whole proces I find blaming the EU for the Shakespearian Shitshow the UK parliament has delivered these last two years is a bit silly. The political parties in the Uk have shown not to be overly preoccupied with the good for the UK but have been more busy with their own interests.
    I feel that the separation of the UK from Europe has not really been the interest of the UK parliament but their own interest were certainly.
    As for any fascist bits the UKIP and their close allies have shown more af that behaviour as anybody in Europe. Unless you mean the Hungarian government, those former East-bloc countries still feel charmed by the strongman politicians. .
    Thanks, @SaintMark. I fully agree and initially was tempted to write the same. But I decided not to occupy myself with responding to clearly nonsensical "Fascism" accusations. The EU is probably overall more democratic and observant of civil rights than many of its member states individually.
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    SaintMark wrote: »

Thanks, @SaintMark. I fully agree and initially was tempted to write the same. But I decided not to occupy myself with responding to clearly nonsensical "Fascism" accusations. The EU is probably overall more democratic and observant of civil rights than many of its member states individually.

Seconded. It is very ironic when people claim the EU are making unrealistic demands when it is in fact the opposite which is the case. It is double ironic when a supporter of UKIP or its agenda accuses anyone else of fascism.

However, hypocricy is very common these days, dear I say in particular on the political right...
  • jobo wrote: »
    Seconded. It is very ironic when people claim the EU are making unrealistic demands when it is in fact the opposite which is the case. It is double ironic when a supporter of UKIP or its agenda accuses anyone else of fascism.

However, hypocricy is very common these days, dear I say in particular on the political right...

A bit more than that really. The right has a habit of charging others with their own sins. Did I speak the name that dare not be spoken here? No I did not.......
    bondsum wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is the stance of you pro-EU commentators on Articles 11 &13? I trust you’re all rejoicing at its introduction.

If you’re unaware of what Article 13 is, here is a video on the subject.

You should watch it as it’ll change how we can post in future on this site.

https://newscientist.com/article/2197907-article-13-a-guide-to-the-new-eu-copyright-rules-and-the-ban-on-memes/

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the smaller sites who can't afford the costly upload filters.....
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    bondsum wrote: »
    Just out of curiosity, what is the stance of you pro-EU commentators on Articles 11 &13? I trust you’re all rejoicing at its introduction.

If you’re unaware of what Article 13 is, here is a video on the subject.

You should watch it as it’ll change how we can post in future on this site.

https://newscientist.com/article/2197907-article-13-a-guide-to-the-new-eu-copyright-rules-and-the-ban-on-memes/

It'll be interesting to see what happens to the smaller sites who can't afford the costly upload filters.....
    You people keep forgetting that, regardless of one's opinion on this issue, not only have quite a majority of the members of the European Parliament (348 to 274 - which by the way is more than a paltry 52:48) voted FOR the directive, but the member states will also have to agree, one by one. Once they all agreed, they have two years to incorporate the directive into their national laws, and they are also those who will have to administrate it. As a process, this is as democratic as it can get in a federation of countries. The same people who deplore the lack of a binding majority decision in the EP are usually the same ones that insist on their own country having a veto power if the outcome is not to their liking.

And if someone thinks the directive is in violation of basic rights, there is always the possibility of suing.

Either way, blabbering about Fascism in this context is not only complete bullsh!t, but also trivialises cases of truly Fascist tendencies among the populist Right, including the countries where they have managed to be in charge. Say Hungary, say Poland.
    Who's 'blabbering on about fascism'? I was pointing out what could happen to smaller internet sites who won't have the means to implement such expensive filters. Maybe a little way off but still concerning.

I have visited Krakow in Poland by the way. Beautiful city. Felt very safe there too.
This discussion has been closed.