The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Who's 'blabbering on about fascism'? I was pointing out what could happen to smaller internet sites who won't have the means to implement such expensive filters. Maybe a little way off but still concerning.

I have visited Krakow in Poland by the way. Beautiful city. Felt very safe there too.

I was referring to your earlier post. "The EU started as a trading bloc and has gradually become a fascist dictatorship. Have you heard of article 13? Fascism at its finest that will affect us all." Ring a bell?

I don't doubt that one can feel safe in Poland. But the PiS government seems to be on its way to abolish certain basics of democracy, like the separation of powers and freedom of the press, to effectively remove control of their hold on the country. Not saying they are (or threaten to become) near as bad, but it's basically the same as what was called Gleichschaltung in the case of the Nazis. Indispensable for autocratic rulers, at any rate.

And by the way, I didn't understand your earlier referral to Slovakia. What did they do to stand up to the EU, in your opinion?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Slovakia ignored the EU's mandatory migrant quota's and passed a law that prevents Islam from being registered as a religion in their country.

My Slovakian friend is very proud...
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Slovakia ignored the EU's mandatory migrant quota's and passed a law that prevents Islam from being registered as a religion in their country.

Everybody seems to ignore the migrant quotas. And Islam is a religion, whatever the government says. And refusing to accept that is nothing to be proud of. Say I as a determined Atheist who thinks all privileges to the "established" religions should stop, but also as a lawyer who has heard about human and civil rights and will never simply tolerate them being ignored.

I don't think anyone can be proud of thousands of refugees drowning in the Mediterranean, even if one doesn't want them around. But quite frankly, I'd rather have a million extra Muslims (not: Islamists) from Arab countries in Germany than another 1,000 Nazis with German citizenship.
  • chrisisallchrisisall Brosnan Defender Of The Realm
    j_w_pepper wrote: »

Everybody seems to ignore the migrant quotas. And Islam is a religion, whatever the government says. And refusing to accept that is nothing to be proud of. Say I as a determined Atheist who thinks all privileges to the "established" religions should stop, but also as a lawyer who has heard about human and civil rights and will never simply tolerate them being ignored.

I don't think anyone can be proud of thousands of refugees drowning in the Mediterranean, even if one doesn't want them around. But quite frankly, I'd rather have a million extra Muslims (not: Islamists) from Arab countries in Germany than another 1,000 Nazis with German citizenship.

Well put my friend.
    After spending £4Billion on No Deal preperations, why stop? If nothing is still agreed in 6.5 months time, which lets face it? Is quite likely, the EU could just turn around and say no that's it! They have and will continue to prepare for no deal. May has now thrown that in too. I simply cannot wrap my head around it.

Islam is an ideology. You're welcome to it and it's degradation of women. And my friend is proud that his country protects it's people. Not sure what miserable country you are from, but this conversation is becoming off topic.

chrisisall wrote: »

Well put my friend.

Bless. Oooh friend!
    Intolerance is fashionable lately. It's important to be in fashion.

Islam is an ideology. You're welcome to it and it's degradation of women. And my friend is proud that his country protects it's people. Not sure what miserable country you are from, but this conversation is becoming off topic.

Islam is a much a ideology as Christianity or Judaism, all three being the Abrahamic religion.
    I am sorry you applaud a freedom of religion for your convictions and not those of others, it shows how much you believe in the human rights by denying those of people who feel differently.
    Not sure you should share that and feel proud.

I'd much rather have muslim immigrants to my country than more people with an ideology like yours, that's for sure...

Wait... Here's a question: What "miserable" country may I be from if I suggest a comparison between Muslim refugees in Germany and German Nazis? We-e-e-e-e-ll? One of the trouble with racists is: They don't even listen or read others' opinions before they condemn them. And your "very proud" Slovakian friend is obviously an idiot. Like everyone who is "very proud" of nationalist, racist actions by his country. If you have realised by now where I'm from, you may understand why I have come to that conclusion based on my country's history.

By the way, I never voted for Angela Merkel, but the one thing she did right all the way was letting all the refugees in in 2015, when no one east of here cared for them. In spite of the fact that doubtless there were/are individuals among them that are less desirable. As in every group. But yet again, the majority of the refugees are doubtless no worse than the most despicable creatures among Germans or other Europeans. So why not deport some Nazis to make room for some refugees? It might be an improvement. (Don't bother to argue constitutional law here. I know it wouldn't be possible, it's just for the sake of the argument.)

And as you also might be able to tell from my posts (if you had read them, and understood them, either of which you apparently haven't) I don't make a difference between religion and ideology. I reject both equally. But if those people grow up in a society where they have no choice, it is simply inhuman to judge them for never having learned the difference. Unlike people like, say, yourself, who should have learned to know better.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 4,619
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    After spending £4Billion on No Deal preperations, why stop? If nothing is still agreed in 6.5 months time, which lets face it? Is quite likely, the EU could just turn around and say no that's it! They have and will continue to prepare for no deal. May has now thrown that in too. I simply cannot wrap my head around it.
    Once you accept that Theresamay is the single most incompetent leader of a Western European country in our lifetime, it all makes sense really!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited April 2019 Posts: 17,787
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    Once you accept that Theresamay is the single most incompetent leader of a Western European country in our lifetime, it all makes sense really!

#Theresamay gets blamed for everything, even (presumably) EU intransigence and the dithering of the UK parliament that a court case ensured was given such a key role in the Brexit process.

Mercifully, though, she's not a drunkard like at least one of those she's negotiating with on the EU side. She's got that going for her.
    jobo wrote: »

I'd much rather have muslim immigrants to my country than more people with an ideology like yours, that's for sure...

Good luck with that. Those 'Dawah' strategies are obviously working on you.

My 'ideology' is freedom to enjoy life as you wish and freedom of speech. I don't advocate the death penalty for Apostasy or demand females from the age of 9 must cover their hair in case they might incite a male to rape them.

If you'd rather have that ideology in your country then you're seriously deranged.

But yet again this thread is going off topic so i'll leave it be.

Wait... Here's a question: What "miserable" country may I be from if I suggest a comparison between Muslim refugees in Germany and German Nazis? We-e-e-e-e-ll? One of the trouble with racists is: They don't even listen or read others' opinions before they condemn them. And your "very proud" Slovakian friend is obviously an idiot. Like everyone who is "very proud" of nationalist, racist actions by his country. If you have realised by now where I'm from, you may understand why I have come to that conclusion based on my country's history.

By the way, I never voted for Angela Merkel, but the one thing she did right all the way was letting all the refugees in in 2015, when no one east of here cared for them. In spite of the fact that doubtless there were/are individuals among them that are less desirable. As in every group. But yet again, the majority of the refugees are doubtless no worse than the most despicable creatures among Germans or other Europeans. So why not deport some Nazis to make room for some refugees? It might be an improvement. (Don't bother to argue constitutional law here. I know it wouldn't be possible, it's just for the sake of the argument.)

And as you also might be able to tell from my posts (if you had read them, and understood them, either of which you apparently haven't) I don't make a difference between religion and ideology. I reject both equally. But if those people grow up in a society where they have no choice, it is simply inhuman to judge them for never having learned the difference. Unlike people like, say, yourself, who should have learned to know better.

swimming-refugees-cartoon-0.jpg
    CSf-GAk-OXAAAC1-BJ.jpg

Good luck with that. Those 'Dawah' strategies are obviously working on you.

My 'ideology' is freedom to enjoy life as you wish and freedom of speech. I don't advocate the death penalty for Apostasy or demand females from the age of 9 must cover their hair in case they might incite a male to rape them.

If you'd rather have that ideology in your country then you're seriously deranged.

But yet again this thread is going off topic so i'll leave it be.

Not as off topic as you might think... You illustrute perfectly the kind of toxic world views who have put Brittain into this mess in the first place.

Yet it is an incredible irony how you can pretend your ideology is about "freedom", yet you celebrate a law that deprives muslims in Slovakia of just that. It´s as if you are trying to contradict yourself on purpose. Talking about ´strategies´ the classic scare tactics and fear mongering of the populist right has sure worked on you...
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

You can have both.
    1018316866.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg

You can have both.
    1018316866.jpg
    mqdefault.jpg

:))
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Please return to the topic, folks.
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    Please return to the topic, folks.

THANK YOU.

Vote again. This time with Russian manipulation in mind. Stay or go, but not because Putin wants it so...
    Meanwhile, I got my passport today. That way, if things get to worse, I'll be ready.

Speaking of which, did you hear about "Brexit Lit" novels ? Here's a french example :

zoom-brexit-romance.jpg?itok=hJaPNihT

https://www.babelio.com/livres/Beauvais-Brexit-romance/1050812
    So Theresa May has left Downing Street and is now tendering her resignation to the Queen in Buckingham Palace.

When she comes out Boris Johnson will arrive and will request to be PM with the Queen,before being driven back to Downing Street.

It will be interesting to see what his next move will be re Brexit,now he is PM.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    What will make or break things for Boris now? Is it hard Brexit or nothing at all?
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    I wish Boris Johnson all the luck as our new prime minister. I only wish we'd gotten him in 2016 but better late than never. I think he will deliver on Brexit by 31 October 2019, simply because he has to in order to stay in power and save the Conservative Party from the fate of electoral wipe-out at the next general election, which (depending on events) may well be imminent.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    I wish Boris Johnson all the luck as our new prime minister. I only wish we'd gotten him in 2016 but better late than never. I think he will deliver on Brexit by 31 October 2019, simply because he has to in order to stay in power and save the Conservative Party from the fate of electoral wipe-out at the next general election, which (depending on events) may well be imminent.

It certainly was a very positive speech.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    DarthDimi wrote: »
    What will make or break things for Boris now? Is it hard Brexit or nothing at all?

Liquid nitrogen, my dear @DarthDimi. ;-)

Pressure is not enough to fix that mess...
    barryt007 wrote: »

It certainly was a very positive speech.

Dude
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    edited July 2019 Posts: 4,043
    We are just as much a laughing stock as the U.S now.

A racist, xenophobic, sexist bigot is our new Prime Minister, yeah very positive.

We've definitely got our own Trump now.

Do you actually believe a word that comes out of his lying mouth?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    One liar replaced by another. Business goes on.
This discussion has been closed.