The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    The EU has granted a deadline extension to the UK, they get an extra 2 weeks until April 12th.
    That's a bit too much condensed from what was agreed, I'm afraid. If HoC approves the Leave Agreement after all until 12 April, UK gets until 22 May for preparations. Or even longer provided the Brits take part in the EP elections one more time. However, unless May succeeds in getting her plan approved until 12 April, the UK automatically "Brexits" without any deal. As an EU official put it, "12 April is the new 29 March".
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    @j_w_pepper How likely is it for May's deal to pass with the 3rd vote next week? She lost the first time by historic margin, the 2nd loss was still very big but it was closer. Can she rally enough MP's for a majority?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I strongly doubt it. But then they still have until 12 April to do what may constitute the least of several evils in the majority's opinion. That may be a no-deal Brexit...but even Corbyn said that a withdrawal of Article 50 is not entirely out of the question. At any rate, the discussion will be over three weeks from today. It's about time.
    Anyone who cares about the UK (In or outer, UK citizen or not) should be very angry about how things have played out. One of our greatest assets is our "brand", how we are perceived by the rest of the World. Beyond Brexit, May has done serious long term damage to our brand. Our leader is meant to represent what's best about us but, instead, she clearly should not be involved in politics at any level.

When elected as Tory leader, there were plenty of articles in the media about her leadership/management style and she was very open about this. She had a "straight up" style and openly boasted about not frequenting the Commons bars. This should have set alarm bells ringing. Anyone involved in negotiations knows that one of the keys to success is building up relationships. Even with the biggest global issues, it's still about working with people. You need to build up a sense of mutual trust, respect and possibly friendship etc. This is where spending time in the bar is exactly what should be happening. May has failed at every level to build up any sense of team: cabinet, commons, EU, etc etc. She is clearly a loner who brings in singular advisers from outside and then fires/blames them when things go wrong. There has never been a sense of "we are all in this together". She has been exactly the PM that we did not need.

I mean this in all seriousness, Gareth Southgate would have done a better job with the EU. He clearly understands how to get the best out of a team and work with the media etc.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    As an American, I know all too well, and painfully, about my country losing its "brand," losing respect worldwide. And in regards to the U.S. administration, deservedly so.

I cannot judge the UK fully being an outsider, but please know I wish all of my friends, and every UK citizen, the best of all possible outcomes in this hideous mess. All is not lost yet.

It still won't get through! May already hinting she may not have a 3rd vote!
    Momentum seems to be building, hugely, to revoke it entirely.
    I sincerely hope so.
    Momentum seems to be building, hugely, to revoke it entirely.
    I sincerely hope so.
    Me too...since I am a huge fan of further European integration and definitely wish Britain to be part of it. I don't believe anyone will stop this madness, but I'd be terminally delighted if it did happen.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    But don't you understand people who voted to leave just want to leave regardless of the consequences?
    I simply doubt that is true for the majority who wanted to leave originally. Not with all that has come out since then and the realisitc ramifications now more apparent.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    Something to bring a smile at least for a moment ...

British tits ...
    and my personal favorite: "It's so bad even the introverts are here."
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    and my personal favorite: "It's so bad even the introverts are here."

Yeah, that made me laugh too. :D
    I like the Jane Austen placard: "52 % Pride and Prejudice - 48 % Sense and Sensibility".
    Yes; they're all good. I thought some quite creative and apt. :)
    I simply doubt that is true for the majority who wanted to leave originally. Not with all that has come out since then and the realisitc ramifications now more apparent.

Some who voted to leave yes but I've heard people say that they voted to leave so they want to leave, regardless of the shit storm on its way.

This was far too much of a complex question to ask and to boil it down to no or yes was an act of lunacy.

Cameron should never have been allowed to quit, he should have been forced to deal with the consequences of his decision.

All Brexit has bought on the rise of the far right and the likes of Farage, Johnson, Gove, Aaron Banks and Reece Mogg have the blood of Jo Cox on their hands.

Leavers don't want to accept this reality but it's plain as day and the rise of this ugly faction in my country is terrifying.

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    Shardlake wrote: »

Some who voted to leave yes but I've heard people say that they voted to leave so they want to leave, regardless of the shit storm on its way.

This was far too much of a complex question to ask and to boil it down to no or yes was an act of lunacy.

Cameron should never have been allowed to quit, he should have been forced to deal with the consequences of his decision.

All Brexit has bought on the rise of the far right and the likes of Farage, Johnson, Gove, Aaron Banks and Reece Mogg have the blood of Jo Cox on their hands.

Leavers don't want to accept this reality but it's plain as day and the rise of this ugly faction in my country is terrifying.

Well said, @Shardlake. It is terrifying. This act of tribalism will create more problems than it'll solve.
    This is ... really something.

This footage keeps going, and going, and onto different neighborhoods, it is just so wonderful to see.
    It's also kind of depressing to see, because it won't make a scrap of difference.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 4,043
    Once you've let the genie out of the bottle, it's nigh on impossible to put it back in.
    This is ... really something.

This footage keeps going, and going, and onto different neighborhoods, it is just so wonderful to see.
    Looks as if there are almost as many people there at Donald Trump's inauguration. Must be fake news. Believe me.
    That footage is impressive!
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    vzok wrote: »
    It's also kind of depressing to see, because it won't make a scrap of difference.

My thoughts exactly. There was also a massive anti-war demonstration and march in London (and across the world I might add) on 15 February 2003 and we all know how that stopped the war. Not that I'm comparing the Iraq War of 2003 (which I was against) with Brexit (which I voted for), mind.

It's just one example from recent history of how these types of marches ultimately often achieve very little. It is the world of politics with its executive and parliamentary components that can really only change things. Everything else is a mere sideshow, or at worst an unhelpful distraction.
    Whether it is revoked or not, it is very good indeed for citizens to come together and stand up and be counted and make their voices heard. Absolutely vital and I am so happy to see so many people did that this week. Important. Also truly thrilling to witness.
    So Parliament took control to sort things out because the Government is incapable of sorting Brexit out? 8 Indicative votes later after making such a fuss about it? They have agreed 100% on NOTHING!!!!!!! Well done!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    RogueAgent wrote: »
    So Parliament took control to sort things out because the Government is incapable of sorting Brexit out? 8 Indicative votes later after making such a fuss about it? They have agreed 100% on NOTHING!!!!!!! Well done!

Yesterday, Theresa May said she would resign if her Brexit deal passed Parliamant. Now we have no idea what the MP's will vote on tomorrow, is her resignation off the table already?
    RogueAgent wrote: »

Yesterday, Theresa May said she would resign if her Brexit deal passed Parliamant. Now we have no idea what the MP's will vote on tomorrow, is her resignation off the table already?

Neither will the MP's because if they now vote for Mays plan they will be forever tainted as political game players and that politics trump the welfare of a nation.
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 3,333
    Just out of curiosity, what is the stance of you pro-EU commentators on Articles 11 &13? I trust you’re all rejoicing at its introduction.

If you’re unaware of what Article 13 is, here is a video on the subject.

You should watch it as it’ll change how we can post in future on this site.

https://newscientist.com/article/2197907-article-13-a-guide-to-the-new-eu-copyright-rules-and-the-ban-on-memes/
    MP's have rejected May's deal for a third time.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47752017
    FFS this is getting stupid now , they are behaving like petulant children!!!!!!
This discussion has been closed.