The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 8,700
    Good to know. So we don't have to worry about the UK paying its dues, and there is no sense to even mention it as an issue that might cause the EU to concede anything that it is neither obliged nor inclined to concede as a precondition for payment, which you just did in your penultimate post.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    edited March 2019 Posts: 17,813
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    Good to know. So we don't have to worry about the UK paying its dues, and there is no sense to even mention it as an issue that might cause the EU to concede anything that it is neither obliged nor inclined to concede as a precondition for payment, which you just did in your penultimate post.

I merely meant that a No Deal option might mean that any such obligations are thrown out of the window, despite neither the EU or the majority of MPs in Parliament wanting No Deal as an outcome.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Fine with me. I don't really worry about those payments. Fact remains that the EU cannot and will not consider this issue a reason to make concessions that it cannot legally make, and neither politically given that 27 member states have to agree.

So unless the UK actually repeals Article 50 before the 29th (and no, I wouldn't dream of that, although it's probably the only thing that really makes sense) it will be a no-deal Brexit. And while I (really, I mean it - I'm a big Britain fan like most North Germans) would wish it to turn out favourable to all involved, I'm very sure it won't be. It will be a disaster economically. As I said, count me in as happy if it won't, but I'm certainly not optimistic. Quite the contrary.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    UK Parliament to vote on No-Deal today, before voting on an extension to Article 50 tomorrow.
    The EU wants the extension to be about something, if it is the same old same old, the UK parliament might not get it. And with their track record expect a Hard Brexit.
    But Parliament just soundly (by four votes) rejected a no-deal Brexit. Surely the EU 27 must comply and extend the deadline if Parliament says so...or maybe not?
    But Parliament just soundly (by four votes) rejected a no-deal Brexit. Surely the EU 27 must comply and extend the deadline if Parliament says so...or maybe not?

4 votes, jeez those British politicians are hellbent on destroying the British economy. Maybe they can start a war with somebody the deflect any attention from their total lack of professionalism.
    I can see civil unrest around the country for sure.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited March 2019 Posts: 12,459
    My heart is despairing for all my UK friends.
    I am trying to keep my thoughts more cheerful, but it's difficult.
    And I just saw this (so thought I'd share here; please take this kindly). I actually thought "Oh no, Brexit ..." when I first glimpsed this. (Besides I do love the Marx brothers)

I am not British, but Brexit is on my mind daily.
    The farce continues. HoC voted for a postponement of Brexit tonight, that is to request that the EU give them more time. I wonder what will happen regarding the EU Parliament elections. Their new term begins on 1st July - are the Brits going to take part in the elections under the circumstances? And does it make sense? And what could be the purpose of an extension? The Brits don't know what they want (only among the things they might be able to get, of course). Why should another three months or so be able to make them abolish their pipe dreams if they haven't managed to become realists during the last almost three years? The only reason for which the EU might grant an extension is to avoid being blamed for a no-deal brexit by the Brits - but it's going to happen either way, three months earlier or later doesn't make any difference. Especially since the HoC ruled out the only sensible approach by a wide margin: Having another referendum on Brexit. Yes indeed, why should people have changed their mind since the last one. It's only been more or less proved that a Brexit on the terms of the mendacious Farage/Rees-Mogg/Johnson ilk will be an economic desaster, and the mere risk of that would keep sensible politicians from making such decisions. There are no GBP350m a week that are going to be pumped into the NHS. Everybody should know that by now, which apparently wasn't the case in 2016.

There once was a joke about the steadfastedness of President George Dubya Bush. He was said to have the same opinion on Wednesday that he already had on Monday. No matter what happened on Tuesday. The Brexit Tuesday were the last almost three years.

And Theresa May reminds me, more than anything else, of the Black Knight from Monty Python and the Holy Grail. She seems to have lost all of her limbs by now.
    But whatever happened so far, "it's just a flesh wound". It's time for a Holy Hand Grenade from Brussels.
    The MP's in the HoC is beyond a joke.
    So what will be significantly have changed in three months when comparing to the two previous years? Either remain or bugger off it is just adding three months to the suffering and disgraceful British politics that has nothing to do with the economic future of the UK but sheer infighting.
    SaintMark wrote: »
    So what will be significantly have changed in three months when comparing to the two previous years? Either remain or bugger off it is just adding three months to the suffering and disgraceful British politics that has nothing to do with the economic future of the UK but sheer infighting.
    As I said before, I'd be glad if it worked out for the UK - at the very least, only to avoid them blaming the EU of being responsible for the economic disaster otherwise - but you are of course right: It does not have anything to do with that. But instad with the infighting among the Tory bunch and the ideologically-driven opposition to both the Tory-instigated Brexit and the economically liberal EU on the side of Labour, in particular its would-be Marxist-mélange pseudo-leader Corbyn. Who will end up being deprived of the extensive worker protection rules that the EU actually mandates. But why should he care if he smells unrest developing because of the economic downturn to follow. Maybe it helps to bring about the revolution at least in Britain.
    There will be no revolution in Britain, just an economic depression, and guess who will suffer the most.
    There will be no revolution in Britain, just an economic depression, and guess who will suffer the most.

We don't tend to go in for revolutions in the UK, but when we do they are Glorious.
    Dragonpol wrote: »

We don't tend to go in for revolutions in the UK, but when we do they are Glorious.

Revolutions tend to go hand in hand with innocent victims for the so called greater good, so Glorious is just a justification.

Revolutions tend to go hand in hand with innocent victims for the so called greater good, so Glorious is just a justification.

I truly hope we are not really predicting a revolution. No development which we are discussing is worth that, whatever way the Brexit goes.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 17,813

I was of course referring to the Glorious Revolution of 1688 which was bloodless and was a very important event in the constitutional history of Britain.

It brought with it the passing of the freedoms enshrined in the Bill of Rights 1689, including the sovereignty of Parliament and its supremacy over the courts.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope the man who has destroyed Europe and Britain suffers many more painful and embarrassing moments.
    He's not Thanos! Blaming one guy for the destruction of Europe and Britain ? The anger gets in the way of reasoned debate.
    It will take a LOT more to destroy Britain .

Europe less so.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    One angry sentiment over years of having to suffer through Farage's unreasoned, bitter and irrational outbursts of anger in the European parliament? I'd say I'm allowed the little hyperbole. ;-)
  • edited March 2019 Posts: 4,619
    I simply don’t understand why everyone is ignoring the single most important aspect of the Irish question: if the U.K. leaves the EU there WILL be a hard border between the U.K. and Ireland.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    I simply don’t understand why everyone is ignoring the single most important aspect of the Irish question: if the U.K. leaves the EU there WILL be a hard border between the U.K. and Ireland.

Why? There is an open border between Norway and Sweden.

Oh come on, Thunderfinger, you know damn well that they're both part of the European Economic Area, the main provision of which is a customs union. There is no need to have a hard border between Norway and any EU member state, because for all practical purposes Norway is just as much. But not Britain in case of a no-deal Brexit.

Oh come on, Thunderfinger, you know damn well that they're both part of the European Economic Area, the main provision of which is a customs union. There is no need to have a hard border between Norway and any EU member state, because for all practical purposes Norway is just as much. But not Britain in case of a no-deal Brexit.

This is the crux.
    Is Dutch Prime Minister Mark Rutte reading this forum? The Guardian today reports this:
    https://www.theguardian.com/politics/2019/mar/17/dutch-pm-compares-theresa-may-to-monty-python-limbless-knight

I said so, on this thread, three days ago. Am I proud? No, rather sad instead.
    The UK has gotten a deal with EEC members Iceland and Norway to upkeep present day custom tariffs. Negotiations going on about a more comprehensive deal.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    The EU has granted a deadline extension to the UK, they get an extra 2 weeks until April 12th.
This discussion has been closed.