The BREXIT Discussion Thread.

Comments

• DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Getafix
    I'm afraid I must agree with all you have written.
  • MajorDSmytheMajorDSmythe "I tolerate this century, but I don't enjoy it."Moderator
    @fanbond123 - I agree with you on Thatcher, she would have taken the bull but the horns and delt with it by now. But that odious little turd, Blair, lacked any kind of spine. He would still be going cap in hand to the EU, just like May.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, that's a paradox I never understood : why do people who are anti-European, like Farage or the Le Pen, want to become member of the European parliament ? Granted, they don't do much once they're there, but why join in the first place ? I fail to see the logic in that.

It's well paid and you get lots of expenses no questions asked.

Don't forget Farage is married to a German and he was quick to sort out his own kids German passports the moment the UK voted to leave the EU.

Like Rees Mogg who moved his business to Dublin after the Brexit vote, there is a lot of shadyness around the Brextremists. The whole leave campaign was funded by dark money whose motivations we don't know. It's fair to assume the interests of the British people were never the top priority.

It's likely a lot of funding came from extreme right groups in the US who want to deregulate the UK and get unfettered access for their food and pharma sectors.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Getafix wrote: »
    Gerard wrote: »
    Yes, that's a paradox I never understood : why do people who are anti-European, like Farage or the Le Pen, want to become member of the European parliament ? Granted, they don't do much once they're there, but why join in the first place ? I fail to see the logic in that.

It's well paid and you get lots of expenses no questions asked.

Don't forget Farage is married to a German and he was quick to sort out his own kids German passports the moment the UK voted to leave the EU.

Like Rees Mogg who moved his business to Dublin after the Brexit vote, there is a lot of shadyness around the Brextremists. The whole leave campaign was funded by dark money whose motivations we don't know. It's fair to assume the interests of the British people were never the top priority.

It's likely a lot of funding came from extreme right groups in the US who want to deregulate the UK and get unfettered access for their food and pharma sectors.

Yet those who voted for it can't see that.

It's like I voted to leave so let's leave, with no consideration for the consequences.

I'm waiting for leavers to explain to me how leaving the EU is going to be so amazing for us.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    @Shardlake
    A valid question. So far, I've heard very little beyond a return to the colonial ages (when things were absolutely NOT better), more money for the UK (while it'll be the very opposite of that) and "no" immigrants (which history will show is actually a bad thing).

Meanwhile, we here in Belgium are curious about the future. Will we be able to travel to the UK with the same ease, or must we apply for all sorts of documents? If so, we'll probably end up spending our vacation money in Ireland...
    Same here. In the weeks to follow, I'll apply for a biometric passport. Can't be too careful, especiqlly with the way things are going.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited February 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Theresa May announced on Sunday that MPs will get a fresh vote on her deal by 12 March, vowing that leaving as planned 17 days later was "within our grasp".

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47352446

Excerpt from the article:

On Wednesday, MPs will get another chance to put forward a range of amendments in the Commons to show what direction they want Brexit to take.

One - drawn up by Labour's Yvette Cooper and Conservative Oliver Letwin - would, if passed, give MPs the power to demand a delay to Brexit if a deal cannot be agreed by 13 March.

This is quite untrue - The UK can only ask for a delay, which would then need to be approved by the other 27 member states. So 16 days before the deadline seems awfully short to convince 27 countries on this issue.

This whole Brexit situation reeks of amateurism and incompetence that frankly isn't funny anymore.
    The way its going, we will have a new Bond film before a deal is struck.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 11,425
    Let's hope so.

With a bit of luck we will have many more Bond films before Brexit happens.
  • DragonpolDragonpol https://thebondologistblog.blogspot.com
    Let's hope so.

With a bit of luck we will have many more Bond films before Brexit happens.

Please don't count on that. Don't count on that.
    As a Bond fan one has to Remain an eternal optimist.
    As a Bond fan one has to Remain an eternal optimist.

I’ll leave that to you.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    25 days left until the Brexit deadline on March 29th. The UK seems to be headed directly to leaving the EU with no-deal whatsoever.
    25 days left until the Brexit deadline on March 29th. The UK seems to be headed directly to leaving the EU with no-deal whatsoever.

Farce does not even come close to describing British politics at the minute!
    Bond 25 - The spy who was refused a visa to Europe due to his destructive habits, playtime 5 minutes.
    Theresa May's deal is expected to face a "meaningful vote" in Parliament tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47519637
    Theresa May's deal is expected to face a "meaningful vote" in Parliament tomorrow.

https://www.bbc.com/news/uk-politics-47519637

I get the feeling that's about to change again? Going on what is being reported on the news as to the type of vote now?
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Growing talks of a possible General Election for the UK, at earliest on 25th April/2nd May.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-47529293
    Growing talks of a possible General Election for the UK, at earliest on 25th April/2nd May.

https://www.bbc.com/news/live/uk-politics-parliaments-47529293

Hope not! I will be on Honeymoon!!!
    edited March 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Breaking: May's Deal has been rejected. 242 votes for, 391 votes against.

This is a 149 votes defeat, the 4th biggest in history.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Sounds like "F..k the torpedoes, full speed ahead!"

Good riddance.
    Good riddance ? To who ?
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    To Britain. Or is this a case of "continent isolated"?
    j_w_pepper wrote: »
    To Britain. Or is this a case of "continent isolated"?

Fair enough,we’ve been called worse before.
    Frankly, Barry, I truly wish it wouldn't happen. But it will, and I don't see that an extension of any kind would still make sense.
    We can always rely on the love of our EU neighbours.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    It's your free decision and nothing else. I don't want to recap the entire discussion, but the idea it could have been any different has been completely delusional from the start. You don't cancel your golf club membership if you want to keep playing the greens. And no association will consider treating former members better than continuing members. Or than associated entities like (in this case) Norway, Iceland, Swiitzerland.
    Dragonpol wrote: »
    It's your free decision and nothing else. I don't want to recap the entire discussion, but the idea it could have been any different has been completely delusional from the start. You don't cancel your golf club membership if you want to keep playing the greens. And no association will consider treating former members better than continuing members. Or than associated entities like (in this case) Norway, Iceland, Swiitzerland.

So leaving with No Deal (however bad that may be) is the only way forward now. That also, of course, means no massive financial divorce deal, last estimated at £39 billion (€42 billion), from the UK to the EU. That is something that still holds the EU's interest, if nothing else does. Money talks.
    Those are payments that will have to be made since they were incurred by the UK. There will be ways to obtain them. Unless, of course, the UK intends to simply go rogue, as a matter of being stubborn. But I doubt that. And I find it quite distasteful to even discuss this as an issue. It degrades the meaningful motives the UK (or at least that slight majority of its voters) may have had for Brexit. Not that I can find any.
    Those are payments that will have to be made since they were incurred by the UK. There will be ways to obtain them. Unless, of course, the UK intends to simply go rogue, as a matter of being stubborn. But I doubt that. And I find it quite distasteful to even discuss this as an issue. It degrades the meaningful motives the UK (or at least that slight majority of its voters) may have had for Brexit. Not that I can find any.

As far as I can recall it was often other Member States that went rogue and had to be brought before the ECJ as they were in breach of implementing EU Directives. The UK has always had a history of over-regulation (even prior to joining the EEC as it then was) and of implementing EU directives to the letter. So, I very much doubt we'll "go rogue" now either.
This discussion has been closed.