No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    How about “Exit Wound”.

It is Craig’s last film.....

Anyway, I messaged this guy on Instagram who has been working at Pinewood Studios and he liked my comment on his page asking if he’s working on Bond 25.

He was seemingly Rami Malek’s body double or something on BoRhap.....

(I fully expect @MI6 to run this “exclusive” tomorrow.)
    His previous post says he was taking an acting course at Pinewood though?
    It also says on iMDb that he played a photographer in Bohemian Rhapsody not a body double, but maybe he did both? Who knows?
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Walecs wrote: »
    Shardlake wrote: »
    Zekidk wrote: »
    Why would....
    Vesper be buried in a small italian town. It makes no sense, since she's not italian. Unless she has no family and they just dumped her close to where she died of course. Does the CR-novel say anything about her background?

It's got to be Lucia Sciarra

The thing is, Matera is not even close to Venice.

Just because it's being shot there, it doesn't mean than it can't double for almost any italian small town, which it resembles.

The thing is this place does not resemble anything in Europe let alone Italy.

That is why the smart money says if they've chosen it, it could and I say could be doubling for somewhere in the middle east.

They may well want to use Matera as Matera so I wouldn't rule it out but this place has doubled as Jerusalem 3 times now (Passion of the Christ, Mary Magdalene and the Ben Hur remake).

So I would say it's either that or it's going to be explicity Matera for a reason.

Yeah, I can't see it pass for a town in the north of Italy.

Very early on in the location scouting, I know that the crew scoped out Cadiz (once again led by Gregg Wilson). At the time I reported here that it would have stood in for Tunisia.

Of course the script's gone though some changes since November, but if this thread of a plot is still in the shooting script, could Matera (and the tax incentives that come with it), have lured the producers away from Spain and into Italy, and now Matera will play Tunisia, or as Shardlake has said, another Middle Eastern country?
  • DeerAtTheGatesDeerAtTheGates Belgium
    peter wrote: »
    Why would....
    Vesper be buried in a small italian town. It makes no sense, since she's not italian. Unless she has no family and they just dumped her close to where she died of course. Does the CR-novel say anything about her background?

Just because it's being shot there, it doesn't mean than it can't double for almost any italian small town, which it resembles.

That is why the smart money says if they've chosen it, it could and I say could be doubling for somewhere in the middle east.

They may well want to use Matera as Matera so I wouldn't rule it out but this place has doubled as Jerusalem 3 times now (Passion of the Christ, Mary Magdalene and the Ben Hur remake).

So I would say it's either that or it's going to be explicity Matera for a reason.

Very early on in the location scouting, I know that the crew scoped out Cadiz (once again led by Gregg Wilson). At the time I reported here that it would have stood in for Tunisia.

Of course the script's gone though some changes since November, but if this thread of a plot is still in the shooting script, could Matera (and the tax incentives that come with it), have lured the producers away from Spain and into Italy, and now Matera will play Tunisia, or as Shardlake has said, another Middle Eastern country?

It's possible! In my opinion, I can see Cadiz as Tunisia, more so than I can see Matera pass for Tunisia. But set dressing can do much, obviously, aided with some digital trickery. It would make sense to feature a Northern African country (or at least for Bond to visit one in-story) with a villain from Northern African descent.

The only question I have with this, are the incentives. Would those still be granted by the Italian government if Italy isn't Italy (in-story) anymore? I would think that for a production to get those tax incentives, the condition that Italy features as itself is reasonable. It's better for the tourism industry if the film clearly states on a title card that Bond is visiting Matera, instead of having Tunisia on the title card and only having Matera at the end of the end credits.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Matera doubling for Tunisia? Stupid idea. Really. Hopefully Matera will just be Matera.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    well well same old thread
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    They need to get going and get this film made already. If craig isn’t seen on set by months end get used to November 2020 being when it’s relessdd.
    The film is released a year tomorrow, they have time mate.

Remember, Spectre started filming only 11 months before release and Bond 25 already has a sequence shot.

GF started filming eight months before release.

in all fairness tho - the film industry was a lot different then than it is now lol...

but anyone stressing over the schedule - its business as usual.. since i've started following productions (which would be TWINE/DAD - current) they've typically started shooting in either late December or January with a release date of November in that same year, so right around an 11 month turnaround?.. so with Bond 25, filming already started, so they are actually a little ahead of their typical pace..
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    DJCLE84 wrote: »
    Tuck91 wrote: »
    They need to get going and get this film made already. If craig isn’t seen on set by months end get used to November 2020 being when it’s relessdd.
    The film is released a year tomorrow, they have time mate.

Remember, Spectre started filming only 11 months before release and Bond 25 already has a sequence shot.

GF started filming eight months before release.

in all fairness tho - the film industry was a lot different then than it is now lol...

but anyone stressing over the schedule - its business as usual.. since i've started following productions (which would be TWINE/DAD - current) they've typically started shooting in either late December or January with a release date of November in that same year, so right around an 11 month turnaround?.. so with Bond 25, filming already started, so they are actually a little ahead of their typical pace..
    That's the point me and @Thunderfinger were making @DJCLE84, but anyway couldn't agree more :)
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    I'm not too worried about this Matera stuff.
    First, they can shoot in the main town most of the action of the PTS but also use a local cemetery that could pass as Venise or some other place where the old flame is buried before the action moves to Matera. Matera is very distinctive but not everything there is distinctive. It's also common for a production to take advantage of a location to arrange a few sets there that will save everybody from going to a totally different location. Norway can be unique, but if you need another scene that takes place in a snowy setting, use a less recognizable place nearby and it can be Austria, Switzerland, etc.

For the old flame, it can only be Vesper, the only character that the audiences would remember and care for. She committed treason to her country, so it would make sense that they preferred not to bury her in Britain.
    It's also a detail that can be easily explained. Just put in the dialog that she asked in her will to be buried at this particular place, or that Bond himself loves the place and thought it would be fitting for her. Nobody would mind too much.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Why would....

It's possible! In my opinion, I can see Cadiz as Tunisia, more so than I can see Matera pass for Tunisia. But set dressing can do much, obviously, aided with some digital trickery. It would make sense to feature a Northern African country (or at least for Bond to visit one in-story) with a villain from Northern African descent.

The only question I have with this, are the incentives. Would those still be granted by the Italian government if Italy isn't Italy (in-story) anymore? I would think that for a production to get those tax incentives, the condition that Italy features as itself is reasonable. It's better for the tourism industry if the film clearly states on a title card that Bond is visiting Matera, instead of having Tunisia on the title card and only having Matera at the end of the end credits.

Most of these incentives are there to attract productions to areas and thus create jobs for local crew and bring business to the area for the duration of filming. So, Matera not featuring as Matera wouldn't be a dealbreaker. But, each deal is unique and can vary slightly and I'm sure tourism might come into play with Bond considering its travelogue history.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    I see on facebook Daniel Craig and Rami Malek are still in New York even though they were pictured boarding a flight out.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    And so ends another weekend, on a Sunday evening hoping we find something out the following week. Let’s see what the next 7 days bring.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    hqdefault.jpg
    Why would....

Most of these incentives are there to attract productions to areas and thus create jobs for local crew and bring business to the area for the duration of filming. So, Matera not featuring as Matera wouldn't be a dealbreaker. But, each deal is unique and can vary slightly and I'm sure tourism might come into play with Bond considering its travelogue history.

I mentioned it because it seems that it is a dealbreaker for the Jamaican government, their minister for tourism takes part in the negotiations with EON. Presumably to feature Jamaica "in a positive and attractive light". Where have we heard that before?

But it's perfectly possible the Italian government is just concerned about the job creation side, as that seems to have worked for them before. Good point!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    One year till release guys :)
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    And so ends another weekend, on a Sunday evening hoping we find something out the following week. Let’s see what the next 7 days bring.

They are my exact thoughts too!!!
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "...If you play the odds." ;)

By the grace of God.
    Funniest comment of the thread!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited April 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Why? :)
  • DonnyDB5 wrote: »

By the grace of God.

I feel Deja Vu. :)

Do you believe Bond 25 will be delayed?
    Add me as someone who thinks we're overthinking the Matera news. First, these Italian publications have had a handful of quite dubious 'scoops' already. Second - and more to the point - there's no reason at all that Matera has to star as itself in the film. (Or that some parts of town may be used as Matera, and others to double as somewhere else.) We've recently had doubles for everywhere from Montenegro to Shanghai. The plot is still a mystery to us at this point, so I'd suggest we not tie up in knots too much.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 17,295
    In this article/commentary re. the Norwegian film industry's carbon footprint, it's mentioned that the Norwegian sequence
    is supposed to portray Austria:
    In order to shoot scenes for the new James Bond film, they have closed off an area in Nordmarka, which is really meant to portray Austria.

The article doesn't elaborate any further though.

https://morgenbladet.no/kultur/2019/04/filmbransjen-vil-granske-sitt-klimaavtrykk-da-er-ordningen-som-plasserer-james-bond-i
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    As expected, but there are real environmental issues out there. Still the same carbon insanity.
    In this article/commentary re. the Norwegian film industry's carbon footprint, it's mentioned that the Norwegian sequence
    In order to shoot scenes for the new James Bond film, they have closed off an area in Nordmarka, which is really meant to portray Austria.

The article doesn't elaborate anything further though.

https://morgenbladet.no/kultur/2019/04/filmbransjen-vil-granske-sitt-klimaavtrykk-da-er-ordningen-som-plasserer-james-bond-i
    Very interesting! So, does that confirm that it's a
    flash back scene?

It would at least hint to a certain connectivity to
    Madeleine/Mr. White and Spectre (the film not the organisation)

octofinger wrote: »
    Add me as someone who thinks we're overthinking the Matera news. First, these Italian publications have had a handful of quite dubious 'scoops' already. Second - and more to the point - there's no reason at all that Matera has to star as itself in the film. (Or that some parts of town may be used as Matera, and others to double as somewhere else.) We've recently had doubles for everywhere from Montenegro to Shanghai. The plot is still a mystery to us at this point, so I'd suggest we not tie up in knots too much.
    Sure, it's possible it's doubling for something else. But I think that it might be only partially doubling. These caverns and the church and the beach could easily double for, say, Tunisia.

But if there's really a
    car chase through the centre
    , it might be hard to make it appear as something else during that scene. Imagine how many street signs and shop names you need to obscure and/or digitally alter.
    edited April 2019 Posts: 1,756

Here's the thing though:
    Tour_house.jpg

vs

c3cc5f9d-7b96-4fcc-91bd-802ff65488c4?fit=crop&h=1267&w=1900&s=52704cf1a2453288b64dbbe7bd0260d4a029ad08

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-First-Pictures-Of-Bond-25-Filming-In-Norway.jpg

Therefore, if it's a flashback, Mr. White and Madeleine Swann must have lived elsewhere. Where did White get the cabin?
    So today, April 08th, we are one year from the release of BOND 25, again.

When the date was February 14th, the date change was published the following day.

The current situation of production is very uncertain, without any official information, without Press Conference, with nothing at all. Do you think that tomorrow they will post another date change?

Will BOND 25 be released in October, which has always been the oficial date for James Bond?
    Jack_Wade wrote: »
    So today, April 08th, we are one year from the release of BOND 25, again.

When the date was February 14th, the date change was published the following day.

The current situation of production is very uncertain, without any official information, without Press Conference, with nothing at all. Do you think that tomorrow they will post another date change?

Will BOND 25 be released in October, which has always been the oficial date for James Bond?

I'm certainly not ruling anything out. At this point, nothing can surprise me.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

Here's the thing though:
    Tour_house.jpg

vs

c3cc5f9d-7b96-4fcc-91bd-802ff65488c4?fit=crop&h=1267&w=1900&s=52704cf1a2453288b64dbbe7bd0260d4a029ad08

0_PAY-EXCLUSIVE-First-Pictures-Of-Bond-25-Filming-In-Norway.jpg

Therefore, if it's a flashback, Mr. White and Madeleine Swann must have lived elsewhere. Where did White get the cabin?
    Interesting. It looks similar enough to support the flashback theory, but different enough to raise some questions. It's possible that they knew pictures of the set would leak, so they deliberately made it look slightly different. Maybe they'll change it in post?
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 3,169
    Those norwegians must have a shitload of money, since they spent a recordsum
    for a Bond-movie to have a short sequence there, only to make it look like Austria in the final product

No, wait...
    The article must be wrong. Cabins in Austria look completely different. The cabin built is typical in countries like Finland, Sweden, Norway, Iceland and Greenland. Not Austria.

Sweden:
    house-yellow-exterior2018-06-29-at-9.42.19-AM-23.jpg

Greenland:
    yellow-house-greenland-flag-fence-11134174.jpg

Norway:
    MAB-20160224-NORWAY-LOFOTEN-BALLSTAD-MOUNTAINS-8107057.jpg

Typical austrian cabin. They are never as colorful as the ones in the northern hemisphere, and they use different material:
    51361446ea1cd0562a29d7a91eb748ca.jpeg