Terminator: Dark Fate (2019)

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    JamesCraig wrote: »
    Oh yeah that too.

But I haven't seen Genisys. Is it any good?

Definitely not.
  • JamesCraigJamesCraig Ancient Rome
    What a shocker. ;-)
    I want to see it just haven't gotten around to it
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I want to see it just haven't gotten around to it

You really aren't missing out on anything, trust me. The one takeaway I had from the film was I enjoyed how it shook up events we witnessed in the first two films in a surprising way, and that was it. The rest of the movie was total garbage.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    First official pictures of Terminator: Dark Fate:

nVIZujq.jpg
    tj54ww4c19q21.jpg
  • Well, better looking than the first reveal photos for sure.
    Certainly a messed up timeline if you ask me! Lol! Aaaaaahhhh!!!!!!
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    j7al1jypb9q21.jpg
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    First official pictures of Terminator: Dark Fate:

nVIZujq.jpg

It's so good Jeffery Dean Morgan is in this movie
    j7al1jypb9q21.jpg

I didn't know Justin Bieber made his foray into acting. Interesting.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    j7al1jypb9q21.jpg

I didn't know Justin Bieber made his foray into acting. Interesting.

She was hot as hell in Bladerunner and Black Mirror. I guess the future war doesn’t do your appearance any favors :))

I’m so curious as to Arnold’s role in this one. If he’s really bad this time, I can only imagine he was sent back around the time of T2 to kill Sarah, and she was just really good at hiding
    I don´t get the sarcastic comments. Those pics make me instantly several hundred percent more interested in this film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    boldfinger wrote: »
    I don´t get the sarcastic comments. Those pics make me instantly several hundred percent more interested in this film.

Yes, they are more impressive than anticipated. Certainly seem to have a look and grit to them that is consistent with the first two films though I have to wait and see the trailer before I can confidently say that.
  • edited April 2019 Posts: 1,661
    This is the first Terminator film with Arnold Schwarzenegger's T-800 with a beard. It's an unusual departure - do robot killers need to shave? :P - but I guess it's meant to represent several decades after the end of T2. I assume there's a big time jump. I can't believe Dark Fate is set a few years after 1991! I'm guessing it's set in 2019 or 2020?

Fingers crossed the first teaser trailer looks exciting. If it looks good it's gonna win over some of the doubters. The story was co-written by James Cameron, it's the continuation of his original storyline, so I think there's a chance this could be decent. :)
    Well, there's already a description of the first Terminator: Dark Fate footage shown at Paramount’s panel at CinemaCon. For those that don't want to know what it contains, you should avoid clicking on the spoiler link below, which comes courtesy of slashfilm.com.
    The first footage opens on Mexico City at night. On a highway on a bridge, the road begins to ice up and electricity begins to crackle all around it while a thick wall of fog appears. A time travel bubble materializes in the middle of the bridge, breaking it in half and sending the female figure within it flying several dozen feet to the ground below, while the cars on the highway crash into each other — perhaps a nod to how time travel in past films always seems to take place on level ground. Two onlookers, a Mexican couple making out in the river tunnel, pick up the naked and groggy time traveler, who is revealed to be Mackenzie Davis. Davis’ character is either a Terminator or enhanced in some way, as evidenced by the way she reacts and attacks the cops that approach her when they arrive on the scene. The attack is shown in Davis’ character’s POV, with on-screen displays from her vision popping up onscreen. The couple watches in amazement and utter, “Thanks lady, you just saved our asses.” She replies to not thank her just yet and, sizing up her foot against the guy’s foot, takes his clothes and drives off in their car.

In a new scene, black metallic T-1000 style sludge forms into the villain (Gabriel Luna) who can split into two and reform another Terminator. He and an endoskeleton Terminator chase after Davis’ character, who is protecting a young girl. “When they start to kill me, run” Davis says to the little girl before Sarah Connor (Linda Hamilton) suddenly appears and begins blasting the blasting at the Terminators with a huge gun. Battle-worn and badass, Sarah Connor then pulls a rocket launcher off her shoulder and blows the Terminator away.

The last piece of footage includes a montage of Luna’s liquid Terminator slicing through soldiers in a hallway with sharp arms, Sarah Connor fighting alongside Arnold Schwarzenegger’s T-800, a shot of the T-800 bursting through a door in a helicopter, a glimpse of Davis blasting Terminators with tentacles in what appears to be a Judgment Day-ravaged battlefield, and finally a closing shot of Sarah Connor dropping a bomb over the side of a bridge and cooly saying, “I’ll be back.”
    Quite a lot of content there, decided not to read it but thanks anyway! Resist, Terminator fans!!!!
    If they avoid the eye rolling humor, they’ll be ahead of the game just for that
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.
    I am intirgued
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    If it's a big CGI spectacle, I'm out. Had my fill of that in the last couple of installments. The footage descriptions make it sound as such.

It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

It's James Cameron, have you seen any of his other movies?

It's not James Cameron, it's Tim Miller. I'm not sure why people keep saying it's James Cameron when he's only producing.

I'm fine with CG spectacle. Cameron is one of the pioneers of CG spectacle. The key is whether they're going to aim for an overly ambitious plot that steps on the toes of the first two films and make an arse of it, or if they actually attempt to tell a story that feels like a logical progression.

And yes, while it's Tim Miller directing (and he is good, don't get me wrong), Cameron is a creative voice here and I do hope he has the good sense to encourage a more narrowly focused plot, which is what Linda Hamilton claimed to be the reason she was enticed back.

Davis' ambiguous enhanced humanoid is the limit to which I want this film to go with it's zaniness. I just want Skynet, the Connors, a badass bad guy Terminator, hard hitting action, and a sensible reason as to why T2 wasn't the end of the story. With the other films discarded, there should be no reason why these things can't be achieved.
    To be fair, he was a producer on Genisys and waxed poetic about it, but that film was a complete and utter mess. Him being attached to produce once again doesn't immediately inspire confidence, but it is the most optimistic I've been in years, I suppose. I truly do hope it's (finally) another proper addition to the series after all these years.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    I like the pics, Arnie looks great. It looks like another vehicle crash on a bridge/highway behind Linda. Decent story and action aside, I hope the film has heaps of sterile blue lighting, and synthesizer music for chase/future war scenes.

It's important to me that any endoskeletons seen are not produced with CGI, but with animatronics and puppets. Heck, I'll even take a bit of stop-motion over CGI. Hope to see some ominous hunter killers hovering around, flown by r/c like in this video, which I think was posted here once before:

edited April 2019 Posts: 8,009
    To be fair, he was a producer on Genisys and waxed poetic about it, but that film was a complete and utter mess. Him being attached to produce once again doesn't immediately inspire confidence, but it is the most optimistic I've been in years, I suppose. I truly do hope it's (finally) another proper addition to the series after all these years.

He wasn't a Producer on Genisys, but you're right, he did wax lyrical about it and did look rather foolish afterwards. I personally think he was paid a sum to publicly endorse the film and probably did so (without even having seen it, possibly) out of support for his dear friend Arnold.
    I would've swore he was a producer given how much he was glowing about that train wreck of a film. @QBranch is right alongside my line of thinking, do it all with animtraonics and practical effects and puppetry, please - the more they rely on CGI to dominate the action sequences, the less attached and interested I'll be in them.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Speaking at CinemaCon, Linda Hamilton revealed she’s no fan of the post-Judgment Day films herself. “They’re very forgettable, aren’t they?” she told Variety. “You start something and you’re invested in the franchise, but somehow the characters that you care about weren’t there. Too many people, too many story points. So I think we’ve done a good job of narrowing down the focus again so it will echo the first two films.” Hamilton also spoke about her hesitance to join Dark Fate, revealing she gave herself some time before agreeing to reprise her iconic role. “I gave it probably six weeks of intense thinking and consideration before deciding to do it,” she admitted. “I wasn’t sure if I wanted to. I didn’t want it to look like a shameless money grab. I am living this quiet, lovely life that doesn’t involve being a celebrity, and you really have to think, do I really want to trade that in again for another 15 minutes?”
    Terminator: Dark Fate at the Box Office
    I was very sceptical about this film at first, but after hearing what Linda Hamilton had to say, they seem like they are trying to make the best follow up to T2 possible. Super excited for this film now!
    2Wint2Kidd wrote: »
    I was very sceptical about this film at first, but after hearing what Linda Hamilton had to say, they seem like they are trying to make the best follow up to T2 possible. Super excited for this film now!

If her comments above truly translate to what the film has to offer, then it should be the best installment since her last appearance in the series. She looks particularly badass yet again this time around, happy to see she's put in the work once more.