No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• QQ7QQ7 Croatia
    matt_u wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I would be VERY surprised if they included BREXIT,and disappointed as there is no need for it.
    Bond shouldn't get involved in any real life political situations.

I don’t see Fukunaga being interested in such things. Political allusions would have featured heavily with Boyle on board, I presume. But now I don’t think so.

Fukunaga studied political theory at University before going to film school. His first feature was an immigration drama set on the southern border of the USA and he made a film about child soldiers in Africa. He's very political.

I suspect a big reason why any director would want to make a spy film today is down to headlines. It's catnip for any filmmaker - the American President possibly being a Russian asset, a new Cold War brewing, Britain's ailing status, etc.

This all seems like the perfect ingredients for a great Bond film in my opinion.

With the news that the CIA feature in the film, I imagine Bond 25 will touch on nationalism and American/Russian relations.

For lack of better word, Fukunaga is "woke" and our first millennial-generation Bond director

Oh, please no! Not another anti-Trump film.
  • NickTwentyTwoNickTwentyTwo Vancouver, BC, Canada
    Risico007 wrote: »
    I am tired of speculation. Give us something, EON!

yesterday they gave us news that Bond 25 is not shatterhand what you want news EVERY day now?

I’m not 100% convinced. Broccoli was suddenly faced with a poster that said “Shatterhand” and asked to sign it, knowing it’d show up on the internet, and maybe in that moment she figured her signature would be a too-early-confirmation of the title. It was a sly, clever trick by the collector if it was all intentional, and I believe it was. So she wrote “not” to keep the air of mystery. I have to imagine the whole interaction took place in a very short amount of time.
    Waltz wasn’t playing Blofeld either.
    Or maybe I should take the tin foil hat off ;)

if bond 25 is Shatterhand I will be making a bowl of popcorn to see the meltdown on this forum lol

Would you be happy with it? I know you like Risico which I also think would be a great title (given a different context than the short story of course).
    Shatterhand is at the top of my list, I also like Blood and Thunder and World Without Want. I want to see Blofeld back and his arc wrapped up better.

I'm tired of clicking the spoiler link just to read these posts.
    There really aren't any spoilers thus far as the film isn't even in production. It's all speculation. Unless multiple members here have read the script and know the film's plot.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    We won't be getting plunged into radical political fantasies like those. Fukunaga is smart enough not to pull stunts as such to alienate people despite what many posters here would like to see. Eon won't be making a film like that, either. So, I'm reassured on that front.
    Oh well? Dusk approaches fast, so lets see what tomorrow brings?

yesterday they gave us news that Bond 25 is not shatterhand what you want news EVERY day now?
    Thats not news. I’ve already known that for years!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    With Boyle, its almost inevitable that we would have had politics thrown at us. I don't think that'll happen with Fukanaga.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Seriously, Trump is far too much for even a Bond film. You couldn't make up the stuff that reality is showing us regarding the current U.S. govt fiasco situation.

Bond can have political tone and references, and actually often has. But not to make a full parody or strong statement about any current situation is probably best in my opinion, unless something like climate change.

Cary is sharp. I know he has not tackled a Bond film before, but he has guidance from more than one source for that. I trust his instincts as a filmmaker and storyteller. I think it would be a mistake to be overtly sharply political, in obvious ways referencing current political situations, but if woven into the story as background or at least subtly enough, then that's fine. Political thrillers, spy thrillers, and Bond adventures take place because of ... politics.

Thats not news. I’ve already known that for years!

yes but you assume they will never use another title of Fleming
  • DrClatterhandDrClatterhand United Kingdom
    ToTheRight wrote: »

I'm tired of clicking the spoiler link just to read these posts.
    There really aren't any spoilers thus far as the film isn't even in production. It's all speculation. Unless multiple members here have read the script and know the film's plot.

Absolutely correct. It's bordering on the ridiculous. It's all supposition.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    We've got at least three weeks to endure those temper tantrums on this thread. If only time machine was invented.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    Boyle is an idiot what was he thinking bond isn't a mythical creature? Like sherriff pepper says are you some kind of doomsday machine boy and like roger says what helpful chap EON isn't stupid
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    We've got at least three weeks to endure those temper tantrums on this thread. If only time machine was invented.

Or a Terminator could be dispatched... ;)
    QQ7 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I would be VERY surprised if they included BREXIT,and disappointed as there is no need for it.
    Bond shouldn't get involved in any real life political situations.

I don’t see Fukunaga being interested in such things. Political allusions would have featured heavily with Boyle on board, I presume. But now I don’t think so.

Fukunaga studied political theory at University before going to film school. His first feature was an immigration drama set on the southern border of the USA and he made a film about child soldiers in Africa. He's very political.

I suspect a big reason why any director would want to make a spy film today is down to headlines. It's catnip for any filmmaker - the American President possibly being a Russian asset, a new Cold War brewing, Britain's ailing status, etc.

This all seems like the perfect ingredients for a great Bond film in my opinion.

With the news that the CIA feature in the film, I imagine Bond 25 will touch on nationalism and American/Russian relations.

For lack of better word, Fukunaga is "woke" and our first millennial-generation Bond director

Oh, please no! Not another anti-Trump film.

Why not? Back to the Future II was great.
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    They won't touch US politics, as it's mostly a UK production. Jokes on Margaret Thatcher? Allowed. Vague criticism of the CIA in Latin America? Allowed. Direct comment on the current US situation? Verboten.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Come on, let’s back off of the specific politics in this thread, we know where that leads.
    If it was Boyle it would be political thank goodness he is gone
  • HildebrandRarityHildebrandRarity Centre international d'assistance aux personnes déplacées, Paris, France
    We don't know what it's store for Bond 25, and we've been speculating.
    I don't think that there's a need to speculate about what Boyle would have done if he had stayed as a director. He wasn't fired about politics but about casting and narrative choices. The script hadn't reached the phase where it developed some kind of comment. So, it's an hypothetical about another hypothetical.
    edited March 2019 Posts: 3,126
    I don't think that there's a need to speculate about what Boyle would have done if he had stayed as a director. He wasn't fired about politics but about casting and narrative choices. The script hadn't reached the phase where it developed some kind of comment. So, it's an hypothetical about another hypothetical.

True still makes me wonder what idea EON was wowed back then
    007Blofeld wrote: »

It was touted as movie gold too.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Tuck91 wrote: »

When was this?
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I think the most likely contention was amount of action. He was fired not long after MI6 came out, and we know how reactionary Bond films are. Boyle may have only wanted one big action sequence and BABS/Mickey G wanted more so they could compete with other big action franchises.
    Denbigh wrote: »

When was this?

March/April 2018 an insider claimed
    The big question is about who owns the pitch that got Eon interested. Hodge (maybe with Boyle) or Eon? I suspect that, given there was a contract, the idea and the drafts belong to Eon.

If Hodge got the full rights on the outline, he may speak about it at some point... or he could prefer to repurpose the material for an original script with different characters (at the risk of being sued by Eon, if it's about spies). If it's Eon, they may keep an eye on the idea, if it's really good, and give it to other writers to develop it... or it could be that it was tailor-made as the final story in Craig's arc and wouldn't suit a different Bond. We'd then get the details in five, ten or 15 years, when a new book about the production of the franchise is published and Eon assumes there isn't any commercial value anymore to it.

Remember that Peter Hunt refused to share too many details about the deleted (and partly not filmed) scene from OHMSS, where Bond chases Bray's assistant, because he assumed that some of it could still be used in another film (and it apparently was, in Skyfall).
    To me the big question still is whether Purvis and Wade picked up with their old (abandoned) draft, or if they picked up the Hodge draft and reworked it.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited March 2019 Posts: 2,496
    To me the big question still is whether Purvis and Wade picked up with their old (abandoned) draft, or if they picked up the Hodge draft and reworked it.
    I think it's the abandoned draft or they started from scratch of a rough outline

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited March 2019 Posts: 10,588
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Could the young girl playing the cello, be the girl who was cast?

https://stbenedicts.org.uk/the-middle-school-concert
    If it is, we can rule out the flashback theory.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    jake24 wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    Could the young girl playing the cello, be the girl who was cast?

https://stbenedicts.org.uk/the-middle-school-concert
    If it is, we can rule out the flashback theory.
    And the daughter theory.
    I think it's the abandoned draft or they started from scratch of a rough outline

But we don’t know for sure?