No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited February 2019 Posts: 4,343
    Univex wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Yep, an architect just fully qualified. No more fantasy student projects for me. Oh Gosh, Mr. Roark would've been such a better nickname!

Congratulations @matt_u! Well, you're Mr. Roark now, at least to me ;) Come to think of it, Mr. Fountainhead does sound rather cool, if we're not the sort to mistake the genius of Ayn Rand pragmatical and objectivist thought with a dismantled right wing counter weapon. Never understood how right wing idiots were able to weaponise a line of thought made to harm them in the first place. But that is not a discussion for this place.

BTW, I guess we won't see any of those brilliant architectural avant guarde hotels and structures we've talked about a couple of pages ago. It would be nice if they contrasted the colonial Jamaica house with the sleek and contemporary Norwegian architecture, right?

Thank you!

Oh yes it would be awesome. Some tropical vernacular retreat with some cool underwater diving (perhaps the new Seamaster Diver hints at something like this?), the dramatic Norwegian landscape interrupted by some great and sharp Scandinavian architecture, the ancient flavor of a place like Matera. Would be great. Even if I’m still waiting for a new Bond movie that features a breakthrough house like the Elrod one in DAF.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665
    Yep, an architect just fully qualified. No more fantasy student projects for me. Oh Gosh, Mr. Roark would've been such a better nickname!

Congratulations @matt_u! Well, you're Mr. Roark now, at least to me ;) Come to think of it, Mr. Fountainhead does sound rather cool, if we're not the sort to mistake the genius of Ayn Rand pragmatical and objectivist thought with a dismantled right wing counter weapon. Never understood how right wing idiots were able to weaponise a line of thought made to harm them in the first place. But that is not a discussion for this place.

BTW, I guess we won't see any of those brilliant architectural avant guarde hotels and structures we've talked about a couple of pages ago. It would be nice if they contrasted the colonial Jamaica house with the sleek and contemporary Norwegian architecture, right?

Some tropical vernacular retreat with some cool underwater diving (perhaps the new Seamaster Diver hints at something like this?), the dramatic Norwegian landscape interrupted by some great and sharp Scandinavian architecture, the ancient flavor of a place like Matera. Would be great. Even if I’m still waiting for a new Bond movie that features a breakthrough house like the Elrod one in DAF.
    All of that sounds Grand to me! Perfect.
    People here are seriously against the great Emma Stone appearing in a Bond film?? I will never understand mi6community...

The great Danny Boyle should make a film with the great Emma Stone, written and produced by the great Christopher Nolan. That way, you'd surely have a ball, @PanchitoPistoles. Only that film would have nothing to do with Bond, thankfully.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I really hope Stone and Johnson isn't true. James Bond is one of the best franchises for casting international women, paving the way for representation. To go for two American actresses, with one possibly playing a British agent? Really?

Even a cameo would be odd and take people out of the film. But, I'm very happy to hear that things are moving ahead over at Pinewood. We can rest easy for a bit now.

And for the people who think production is starting earlier, I don't think that's true. If you remember at the Spectre conference, Mendes stated they had been in rehearsals, which is what is starting on Feb 4, so between rehearsals and the start of filming we should get the press conference, confirming or not some of the things we've been hearing.

I'm with you @Denbigh. My preference would be someone unknown to the masses and exotic.

I'm just saying IF CF wants these two, i wouldn't put it past him to somehow get it done.

Is it realistic? I would guess not-- and that's what makes me pause.
    peter wrote: »
    My preference would be someone unknown to the masses and exotic.

A true find. Like Bérénice Marlohe.
  • People here are seriously against the great Emma Stone appearing in a Bond film?? I will never understand mi6community...

I've got no objections. If the story calls for 2 american actresses to play their roles then what is the issue? The main cast is still primarily British actors.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    peter wrote: »
    My preference would be someone unknown to the masses and exotic.

A true find. Like Bérénice Marlohe.

I fell in love as soon as I saw her on screen for the first time. Never fails to take my breath away.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Agree, terrible casting rumors. It would undermine my confidence in Fukunaga. Keep it to unknowns, but we’ll find out soon enough... The location rumors are all great though.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited February 2019 Posts: 5,834
    Well, with the announcement that rehearsals are beginning on the 4th, we'll have to keep an eye out for any of our rumoured cast members in London :) To be honest, it's just nice to have something to talk about, whether I agree with it or not.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Casting well known actors and actresses for a franchise such as Bond can be tricky; it can have the effect of pulling a viewer out of a film.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    If Dakota Johnson and Emma Stone both appear in the film + Jamaica, Norway and Tunesia will be the locations in the movie, then I will start calling Barbara Broccoli the great Barbara Broccoli!!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    People here are seriously against the great Emma Stone appearing in a Bond film?? I will never understand mi6community...

I've got no objections. If the story calls for 2 american actresses to play their roles then what is the issue? The main cast is still primarily British actors.
    I don't have any objections based on nationality either. What is American anyway, except for a collection of people from different backgrounds who've immigrated from elsewhere. There are some wonderful American actresses, and these two are certainly up there.

I think the issue is more with novelty and discovery. Bond films have a history of giving us actors who make a great impression in the film, and then aren't really seen much afterwards, perhaps because they work mainly in foreign language fare. It gives their performance in the film more resonance because there's a freshness to it (sometimes forever if they're not seen again). To a degree, it's like seeing a Bond actor in his first Bond film, but as a one off.

With name actors, there are already expectations and even if not, there is a familiarity. Such was the case with Waltz, for instance.

I think this applies to locations as well. If it's a fresh spot that we've not seen previously, it can make quite an impression if properly lensed and filmed. We travel vicariously through these films in so many ways - they have a sense of the exotic and mysterious to them even now, with the world being so much smaller and interconnected due to technology. I think we just want to be surprised and taken somewhere unfamiliar, and unknown actors play into that.
    bondjames wrote: »

I don't have any objections based on nationality either. What is American anyway, except for a collection of people from different backgrounds who've immigrated from elsewhere. There are some wonderful American actresses, and these two are certainly up there.

I think the issue is more with novelty and discovery. Bond films have a history of giving us actors who make a great impression in the film, and then aren't really seen much afterwards, perhaps because they work mainly in foreign language fare. It gives their performance in the film more resonance because there's a freshness to it (sometimes forever if they're not seen again). To a degree, it's like seeing a Bond actor in his first Bond film, but as a one off.

With name actors, there are already expectations and even if not, there is a familiarity. Such was the case with Waltz, for instance.

I think this applies to locations as well. If it's a fresh spot that we've not seen previously, it can make quite an impression if properly lensed and filmed. We travel vicariously through these films in so many ways - they have a sense of the exotic and mysterious to them even now, with the world being so much smaller and interconnected due to technology. I think we just want to be surprised and taken somewhere unfamiliar, and unknown actors play into that.

Definitely agree with this. The potential casting of an actor or actress that you've seen in countless productions (Hollywood most of all), and constantly being exposed to one way or the other, is just…boring. I hope for some "unknowns" in B25.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 4,619
    (Also posted in the story ideas thread:)

I've been thinking about how the MAIN TITLES could be reinvented. We haven't had an original, inspired main title sequence since CR and the only two Bond movies that had truly good main title sequences in the past 30 years were GE and CR.

How about this idea? No graphics, just the main actors (Bond, main villain, Bond girl, hanchman, M, and maybe a few others) performing interpretive dance to the title song. I'm thinking about something like this and this.

Would you be against something like this in Bond 25?
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    The article also states that B25 will "probably" star Emma Stone and Dakota Johnson as Bond girls.

Yeah, I can't see either of them ever being Bond girls.

But the location is definitely very Bondian.

The article also states that they will shoot also outside Matera. One of the places listed is this incredible hotel here...

grotta-14-matera.jpg

matera-grotta-17-classic.jpg

They also mention a beach location 60 km from Matera.

Is it possible Matera could also double as Tunisia, alongside Cadiz? Those underground hotel pics remind me of the underground locations in the Tunisian desert that were used in the original Star Wars.

• bondjames wrote: »

Definitely good points that I agree with! I think casting relative unknowns is a good option too. I had huge expectations for Waltz in Spectre, after his stellar performances in Inglourious Basterds and Django Unchained. I guess I'm on the fence in my preference on who they get for the Bond girl roles.
  • AgentJamesBond007AgentJamesBond007 Vesper’s grave

I've been thinking about how the MAIN TITLES could be reinvented. We haven't had an original, inspired main title sequence since CR and the only two Bond movies that had truly good main title sequences in the past 30 years were GE and CR.

How about this idea? No graphics, just the main actors (Bond, main villain, Bond girl, hanchman, M, and maybe a few others) performing interpretive dance to the title song. I'm thinking about something like this and this.

I wanna know what you’re smoking and where I can get some.

I always thought you were insane. Thank you for confirming it :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Main title sequence leaked. An idea by the great Danny Boyle.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    Speaking of the title sequence, I hope Daniel Kleinman is returning. While I wasn't a huge fan of Spectre, the title sequence was beautiful.
    That actually looks like something the great Danny Boyle would have done :)
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    That actually looks like something the great Danny Boyle would have done :)
    It was his gold idea.

giphy.gif
  • Matera looks perfect for a rooftop foot chase.
  • edited February 2019 Posts: 6,665

giphy-downsized.gif?cid=3640f6095c362b65616a4a7441e5b2b1

I wanna know what you’re smoking and where I can get some.

People have been known to smoke cow chips; now we know the detrimental effects they can have.
    Maybe we can call Bond 25 The Great Bond Caper.
    The title will be "For England"
    Speaking of the title sequence, I hope Daniel Kleinman is returning. While I wasn't a huge fan of Spectre, the title sequence was beautiful.

I’d have to say Quantum’s titles were the best of the Craig era, but that’s mostly for the YOLT homages in some of the imagery. Doubt we’ll get MK12 again anyway.
    MooreFun wrote: »

I’d have to say Quantum’s titles were the best of the Craig era, but that’s mostly for the YOLT homages in some of the imagery. Doubt we’ll get MK12 again anyway.
    +1
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland

Kleinman back, but more along CR lines rather than SF or SP... make it colorful and vibrant.
    DoctorNo wrote: »

Kleinman back, but more along CR lines rather than SF or SP... make it colorful and vibrant.

CR features my favorite titles; I absolutely love the way the gambling imagery was used and how the reveal of Bond was handled.