I've never noticed that before...

Comments

• thedovethedove hiding in the Greek underworld
    When Drax runs off during the big battle on the space station, he was running into a dead end...

His only escape was the airlock.....which led to outer space....

That's the least of MR problems! LOL! Maybe he knew the goon that was dead had a laser gun that he could threaten Bond with? Or maybe he thought he was going to push Bond out the air lock? Yeah I don't think either of those reasons work! LOL!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I think his line "At least I shall have the pleasure of putting you out of my misery." would suggest he knows he's lost. Whether he'll go quietly or intends to commit suicide isn't clear.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    When Drax runs off during the big battle on the space station, he was running into a dead end...

That's a really good catch! I can't believe I never noticed that. I always just assumed he was going to a special escape pod or something, but never really thought about it.
  • QBranchQBranch Always have an escape plan. Mine is watching James Bond films.
    bondjames wrote: »

That's a really good catch! I can't believe I never noticed that. I always just assumed he was going to a special escape pod or something, but never really thought about it.
    Is there any indicator that it was Drax' first time on the station too, and he simply didn't know his way about?
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    QBranch wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »

Is there any indicator that it was Drax' first time on the station too, and he simply didn't know his way about?
    That's quite possible and even plausible. He didn't have any loyal henchman to help him on his way (since Jaws had turned), and so he was probably just desperate to get away from the cavalry. In retrospect it makes sense. It will make the end for him a bit darker for me whenever I see the film from now on.
    I didn't see any maps on the walls either.
    Boy, Drax's plan sure was not full proof.
  • ggl007ggl007 www.archivo007.com Spain, España
    In that corridor you can see there's another corridor on the left. It's very clear when Holly arrives.
    Drax clearly knew the laser gun was sitting on the corpse's leg before he bumped into it, so it's possible he planned to turn down one of the side corridors, before spotting the gun at the last second.
  • goldenswissroyalegoldenswissroyale Switzerland
    My last Octopussy viewing (and the help of @QBranch) led to the observation that the two “jewellery carrier“ in Kamals palace are killed by Gobinda. To check the two dead bodies hanging there (when bond is hiding from Gobinda) I paused the movie. I always thought that in all the bags are (should be) other dead bodies. But in one bag (in front) is obviously a PIG?!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    That's why Khan says, "I can assure you of their silence."
  • Tokoloshe2Tokoloshe2 Northern Ireland
    ggl007 wrote: »
    In that corridor you can see there's another corridor on the left. It's very clear when Holly arrives.

Yep that's very clear.

And bloody hell, she really is a terrible actress.
    I’m watching YOLT right now, and noticed something I found rather strange. When Bond goes to the sumo wrestling arena where he meets Aki, he first sits down in his seat – apparently slipping off his shoes. When leaving with Aki, it looks like he leaves the arena without putting them on again. Anyone noticed that?

I might be wrong, as I’m only watching the film on my Macbook rather than my TV, but it looks like he walked out shoeless to me.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I’m watching YOLT right now, and noticed something I found rather strange. When Bond goes to the sumo wrestling arena where he meets Aki, he first sits down in his seat – apparently slipping off his shoes. When leaving with Aki, it looks like he leaves the arena without putting them on again. Anyone noticed that?

I might be wrong, as I’m only watching the film on my Macbook rather than my TV, but it looks like he walked out shoeless to me.

I'd have to rewatch it, but it could just be a continuity goof of sorts, like how M arrives in Mallory's office in SF with a purse, then leaves without it.
    Creasy47 wrote: »

I'd have to rewatch it, but it could just be a continuity goof of sorts, like how M arrives in Mallory's office in SF with a purse, then leaves without it.

That might be why!
    Mallory has always been a secret tealeaf with a fetish for ladies purses.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    edited January 2019 Posts: 8,090
    The minion that notices Bond climbing the cliff in FYEO, when he looks over the edge, the background behind him is stunning. Maybe I only notice this now on Blu-ray due to improved picture clarity.

Something else I noticed is that Columbia pours some Pastachios into BiBi's hand as a thank you for tending to his wounds at the end. Never caught that before.

I must be the only one who enjoys the Maggie Thatcher segment at the end of this film. It's reminds me of when the franchise took itself much less seriously, a time I miss greatly.
    I must be the only one who enjoys the Maggie Thatcher segment at the end of this film. It's reminds me of when the franchise took itself much less seriously, a time I miss greatly.

I've always enjoyed that bit. Great fun!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO

I've always enjoyed that bit. Great fun!

The woman that plays her (Janet Brown) is such a good impersonator of her that right up until about 2 years ago, I actually thought she was Maggie T.

I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher
    I'm in love with Margaret Thatcher
    I'm in looove with Maggie Tee-eee!
  • PropertyOfALadyPropertyOfALady Colders Federation CEO
    Sigh. Why couldn't I be 20 in 1981?
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Many on here have professed fondness for that little post-action scene. It’s very funny. It did bother me in. 1981; I was 20 and hated that level of humor. But as I got older, I mellowed.

It's the worst bit of a Bond film that after the OTT shenanigans of MR tried to make a more grounded Flemingesque thriller.

It dates the film too.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    The minion that notices Bond climbing the cliff in FYEO, when he looks over the edge, the background behind him is stunning. Maybe I only notice this now on Blu-ray due to improved picture clarity.

Something else I noticed is that Columbia pours some Pastachios into BiBi's hand as a thank you for tending to his wounds at the end. Never caught that before.

Was watching FYEO yesterday and as Bond reaches the top of his climb you can't help but wonder why the guard doesn't either
    a) Shoot Bond who is completely helpless, or
    b) After kicking Bond over the edge, cut the rope or
    c) shout his mates over so they can enjoy taking pot shots at the helpless Bond as he dangles on the rope.

Instead he jumps over the edge on a rope and knocks the pegs out! Fool.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Many on here have professed fondness for that little post-action scene. It’s very funny. It did bother me in. 1981; I was 20 and hated that level of humor. But as I got older, I mellowed.

I have loved it forever.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 2,896
    Regarding the guard in FYEO--what he takes is the most sadistic option. Sure he could have quickly killed Bond. But to knock the pegs out one by one, with Bond watching in fear, is much nastier.

The Thatcher scene is good-humored but should have been left on the cutting room floor. It's a zombie intrusion of Moonraker humor. And Bond shouldn't interact with "real" politicians--beyond the political implications, it dates the film. In Fleming's Goldfinger we're told Bond meets the President, but we're spared reading about him trying to make conversation with Eisenhower!
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    I like the Thatcher scene but not the parrot solution. Other than that, I have maintained (on and off, admittedly) that FYEO is a better Bond film than TSWLM. Which would make it the best Moore Bond movie.

What keeps irritating me is that MR seems to be catching up with both, considerably. "Objects in the mirror are closer than they appear." Oh no, that was Jurassic Park.
    FYEO is the least watched MooreBond film for me.
    It just depresses me a little when I watch it,even though it has Sir Roger in it.

Also,Bond basically outright fails in this film,the mission was over until the parrot opened its gob.

So he only succeeds due to to sheer luck.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    FYEO is the least watched MooreBond film for me.
    It just depresses me a little when I watch it,even though it has Sir Roger in it.

Also,Bond basically outright fails in this film,the mission was over until the parrot opened its gob.

So he only succeeds due to to sheer luck.

I'd like to think the parrot was undercover, just liKe the mouse in SP!!
    I've noticed this long before but figure it's worth discussing...
    Here's a puzzler from OHMSS: why is M okay with Bond marrying the daughter of the head of the Union Corse? His top agent becomes the son-in-law of the chief of one of the the most powerful criminal organizations in Europe, and M doesn't say a word about the massive security risk involved. Instead he and Draco amiably chat about their past conflicts at the wedding. If the Union and Mi6 are enemies, why is he allowing this marriage? To get in bed with organized crime? Wake up M!
    Maybe a deal of sorts have been made between M and Draco? He's a valuable asset to have!
    Revelator wrote: »
    I've noticed this long before but figure it's worth discussing...
    Here's a puzzler from OHMSS: why is M okay with Bond marrying the daughter of the head of the Union Corse? His top agent becomes the son-in-law of the chief of one of the the most powerful criminal organizations in Europe, and M doesn't say a word about the massive security risk involved. Instead he and Draco amiably chat about their past conflicts at the wedding. If the Union and Mi6 are enemies, why is he allowing this marriage? To get in bed with organized crime? Wake up M!

That should be in the question thread.

My hypothesis: 1)Draco is the lesser evil compared to Blofeld, 2)Draco also contributed to the defeat of said Blofeld and the thwarting of his plan, 3)as a prominent figure of the underworld, he can be a precious ally and informant to MI6. In fact he did that recently, see point 2. 4)Draco's activities may only be a relative nuisance to the UK and Her Majesty's government. At worse. 5)Tracy herself is no criminal.