No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

Actually wouldn't mind if the blofeld/ madeline angle was resolved in the pts, with a tangential (or no) relation to the main plot of the film.
    I think they're going to be dealt with in the pts.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I actually think if done right, having Madeleine be killed or otherwise in the pre-title sequence could be quite an exciting opener. Although I can't stress enough how perfect they would have to get it, but I have faith in Fukunaga.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Madeleine really does present a story challenged, but the fact that she’s returning shows that they feel like they’ve met the challenge. Let’s hope..
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    talos7 wrote: »
    Madeleine really does present a story challenged, but the fact that she’s returning shows that they feel like they’ve met the challenge. Let’s hope..

We could be looking at something along these lines (though Madeleine's fate might be a little different):

• Denbigh wrote: »
    I actually think if done right, having Madeleine be killed or otherwise in the pre-title sequence could be quite an exciting opener.
    I doubt, however, that Seydoux agreed to come back only to have a screen time of ten minutes. The most likely option advanced seems that Madeleine becomes a character analogous to Sylvia Trench.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I wouldn't be opposed to Madeleine being a sleeper agent for Spectre and for Bond to go head to head with her and her scheme.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Denbigh wrote: »
    I actually think if done right, having Madeleine be killed or otherwise in the pre-title sequence could be quite an exciting opener.
    I doubt, however, that Seydoux agreed to come back only to have a screen time of ten minutes. The most likely option advanced seems that Madeleine becomes a character analogous to Sylvia Trench.

But Sylvia Trench DID only have ten minutes of screen time. Even less infact.
    Seydoux would not be back unless her role was meaningful and substantial.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Whether Ralph Fiennes will be in Bond 25 or not, he'll be in a spy film this year: The White Crow, directed by Fiennes himself:

boldfinger wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    Norway and North Africa? Talk about contrast. Heat and fire, would make Forster happy ;) But filmed in Digital by Sandgren and directed by Fukunaga. Wow, one can only imagine what the'll make of these locations.
    You can easily go back at least till TSHLM, which makes heavy use of contrasts. One of the best being Bond being briefed at a naval base, and then, cut, Bond in the desert. Magnificent.

doubleoego wrote: »
    Say what you will about Spectre but Hoyte van Hoytema made it look impeccable with his masterful atmospheric way of filming, on actual 35mm film that is.

Impeccable? Masterful? SP?? Hell no. The only noteworthy thing about SP was how esoecially bad and disappointing it was. Besides the film being total garbage the colour pallet and cinematography is by far the weakest of the Craig era. Hoytema is talented generally speaking but it's like he didn't bother showing up to work for SP.
    And to ballance that harshness, I admit that I don´t get at all all the Deakins worship for SF ;-). Not that he´s not talented, but there are films the cinematography of which fascinates me much more.

Sign me up for this. As with pretty much everything else about SF, I've never really understood why people get so excited about this aspect of the film.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,267
    James Bond-magasinet have posted!

But nothing B25 related…
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Fiennes will also star in Kingsman: The Great Game.
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    Fiennes will also star in Kingsman: The Great Game.

That's right! Forgot about that one while posting the trailer.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,400
    James Bond Down Under's Instagram page is also reporting big news for today.

However...considering James Bond-magasinet is from Norway and Norway is a rumoured location. The stars seem to suggest that this is a location announcement.

If this was a genuine Eon announcement and they had a press release to issue I assume @marketto007 would know. He had the intel on all press info for Bond productions - because he is the press! He even went to the set of Spectre!

Unless it comes from @marketto007 - I don't believe it.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I beat JB Magasinet hehe.
    Newspapers over here are reporting it now.

Edit: from Norsk Filminstitutts (NFI) own website:
    Produksjonene som tilbys tilskudd:

B25
    Format: Spillefilm
    Søker: Truenorth Norway v/Per Henry Borch
    Distribusjon: verdensomspennende kinodistribusjon
    Tilbudt tilskuddsramme: 47.025.000 kr

In short: B25 awarded 47.025.000 kr (£4.2m).
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Assuming B25 = Bond 25, then this pretty much confirms Norway as a location.
    It's a surprisingly big amount though – 47m out of a total of 75m. That should go a long way to suggest this is indeed Bond 25. On top of that, it's all over the news here now. From NRK (Norwegian Broadcasting Corporation):

https://www.nrk.no/kultur/james-bond-far-millioner-i-statsstotte-for-a-filme-i-norge-1.14398132

Edit: The statement includes one interesting piece though (translated):
    "We're happy that the production of the movie with the preliminary title B25 is considering shooting in Norway. The 47m grant offered the production is the largest in the incentive scheme's history."

Edit 2: In comparison, Mission Impossible: Fallout was offered 6m, and Snømannen (The Snowman) – set in Norway, got 40,5m.

Edit 3: James Bond-magasinet seems to think it's happening (although EON must accept the offer from the Film institute).

• edited January 2019 Posts: 4,400
    Very interesting and exciting development. I love the stark beauty of Norway. It lends itself well to espionage fiction. There's something quite chilly and haunting about the setting.

Perhaps, Cary will use his August trip for inspiration. Also, his girlfriend is from Norway.

What is interesting though is Fallout’s use of Norway. Which was stunning. I wonder if B25 will use the same imagery.

791521998_orig.png
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Tuulia wrote: »
    peter wrote: »
    Tuulia wrote: »
    I am genuinely excited about B25, manly because of CF. He's a wonderful and visual storyteller. I also think, and I'm assuming on my partner, there's an excitement about the production amongst the creatives as well.

Fingers crossed.

I am as well. I was meh on Boyle, and far more optimistic with CJF. Thanks for your contributions, @peter, btw. It's nice we have people like you here. I see even @ColonelSun popped by, cool.

---

It seems many here are quite excited about Rami Malek. I'm not familiar with his work, so I can't comment on his acting. - I have seen two movies he was apparently in (Ain't Them Bodies Saints and The Master), but I don't remember him in either (yeah well, small supporting roles). There's no way in hell I was ever going to even consider contributing to the Bohemian Rhapsody BO, so that'll be a hard pass from me. (A sort of pity in that in different circumstances - preferably a better movie and definitely a different director - I'd be quite interested in a Freddie Mercury movie, and would have seen it months ago.)

I have been rolling my eyes at Malek quite a bit recently, though. He hasn't exactly been handling the press with the movie all that well - both regarding how the movie handled the person he played, and regarding questions about its director. Just not a good look at all. It's a month to the Oscars, and it'll be interesting to see if he continues the way he has so far (a bad idea... and the latest I heard he was digging a hole for himself instead of finally getting smart), or if someone gives him good advice that he actually listens to.

In short: so far I'm not excited about the possibility of having him in a Bond movie, but we'll see...

Hi @Tuulia , thanks for the kind words. And yes, Colonel Sun is a cool dude. I've read a couple of scripts he has in development and they're damn good. He's a genuine talent with a very rich history in the film industry (not only in the James Bond world; this guy literally went "flying with Superman" a story he can tell while he was working on one of the SM films).

Anyways, we got a morsel of information and I was happy to share. It may give small hint to where the film is heading. And I like to hear how Gregg Wilson's in charge of the location crew (which means he's a very active producer, learning the ropes by tackling huge responsibilities. Gives a little more weight to the argument that I learned he will be taking over his father's position for B26).

Re: Malek and the director: very dicey situation, isn't it? Everyone may have dropped the ball on this one-- producers on down. Up until recently, everyone kept mum about the allegations (almost as if they thought that if they kept quiet, it would all go away).

And then a reply was expected from an actor.

I personally don't think it's his job to have to answer these questions-- but the producers. And once the producers respond, the actors should be given orders to follow the lines that they've been given.

I certainly understand your discomfort with the entire situation.

Here is an article of Malek's recent response:

https://www.wmagazine.com/story/rami-malek-bryan-singer

@peter, many of us here are genuinely happy for you and others to share what you guys can when you can, even if small. Oh and Gregg taking over from his dad for the next one makes plenty sense, and I would have expected that to happen by then.

On Singer, well, I wouldn't say discomfort, but rather rage that it seems nothing affects him, because apparently he has very powerful connections (similar garbage individuals, I presume). It was just confirmed that he's keeping his next directing job, because his current film is making so much money, and so...

Thanks for the link, but I had already read Malek's most recent comments, which were - again - just weak, and not properly thought out at all - and he sure likes to repeat "Freddie Mercury" at any opportunity (and it has worked pretty well). "Not aware" just won't cut it, when the stuff has been (reasonably) public knowledge for over 20 years - multiple accusers, articles, a documentary film years ago... I kinda expect Hugh Jackman etc. will say they had absolutely no idea either. Somehow people who work with and hung out with the guy are "not aware" when people who don't even personally know anyone who works in the industry do. Rrright. Even I knew years ago that Bryan Singer is trash. So of course the producers knew. The studio obviously knew since with what already happened with that X-men press tour. They just like to keep hiring a guy who makes them money. (Literally what next project's employer said.) They can't possibly have any actual "answers" besides that.

I don't know what you really had in mind, but I don't think I can agree with you that an actor's job doesn't also include answering questions concerning their work and people they work with. Actors are constantly asked about their colleagues and directors and what working on a project was like, etc. It's normal practice in promotional work and any other interviews with actors, and should be just as normal when everything isn't fine and dandy. I think actors shouldn't just play mouthpieces to producers, either. Like... if there's a change of director during actual production (or just if it's public knowledge there were some issues on set), it's only natural an actor gets asked about that, and it's weird if they get irritated and defensive (like Malek) that the question is even asked. If there's a big story released about the director of the movie then of course at the very least the lead and the "face" of the movie gets asked for a comment, and I think they should be able to do that - as well as be allowed to answer it themselves without being told their lines. Just like in, say, sport or politics, an actor's main job isn't answering questions from the media/public, but it definitely is part of the job.

As for Malek in general, I was trying to say (messily I admit) that while I couldn't even comment on his acting since I've barely seen it, and for obvious reasons won't be seeing his most high-profile showpiece currently in theatres, I also haven't been impressed by his immature and irritable attitude and dismissive comments to legitimate questions (about other things, too) - long before the Atlantic article, as well as some peculiarly vague blabla about Mercury. The combination of the two things hasn't made me remotely excited about him potentially being cast, that's all. He might still be both a nice guy and a great actor, though. I'm sure I'll form a better informed opinion of him sooner or later one way or another (Bond movie involvement or not).
    BR is pretty much the first time I've noticed him and it's been his just what he's been saying and I haven't been impressed. - A good thing I already liked Viggo as an actor before Green Book (which I also haven't seen, and most likely won't... I still haven't seen Driving Miss Daisy, either), because he hasn't exactly impressed during the awards season, either, hehee. (I'll have their presumably well-intentioned messiness over the unpleasantness of Brian May and the GB writer Vallelonga any day, though.)

Apologies for OT. (I know it's pretty common here anyway, though.)

---
    ---

Digital and film are both fine by me, I'm not too fussy about that; after all, both can be done well or not, and can look good or not. I kinda expected film, and I guess that would have been my preference, but curious to see what they do with digital as well. I've certainly enjoyed most of what I've seen of Sandgren's work so far. (2 were so meh as movies that I admit I don't really remember the cinematography, but the other 4 sure looked good, and at least 3 of them - American Hustle, La La Land, First Man - looked bloody excellent).

Fair points at Tuulia. I have seen the documentary you mentioned above and I honestly believe, with a brand new accusation in the pipeline (one just released a couple of days ago), that Singer will not keep the Red Sonya job. It's frustrating that there has been twenty years of stories, and nothing has stuck thus far. Saying that-- i think it's just a matter of time for this guy.

Re: actors, like sports figures: Some are not very well equipped to handle anything outside of their job. And when it comes to allegations of, basically, forcing sex onto minors, I think that the producers should have done their job and coached their cast and crew in how to respond to these claims (very serious claims, and here's the dicey part: with no charges. As much as we'd like to see the guilty crucified by anyone working with Singer (or all those who worked with Spacey and Weinstein (Meryl Streep didn't know Harvey was the monster he's been revealed to be? Bull and s$$$), it rarely happens until, as we've seen with Harvey, charges are brought forth.).

I understand your disgust with Singer (or anyone in a position of power who has done this, especially to children (I have three of my own), so I suspect our feelings on the matter are very much aligned.

Whether Ralph Fiennes will be in Bond 25 or not, he'll be in a spy film this year: The White Crow, directed by Fiennes himself:

This looks damn good. Fiennes really has a gift. Lots of good films to look forward to in 2019. Thank heavens. 2018 was dire in quantity of quality, IMO.

TripAces wrote: »
    talos7 wrote: »

We could be looking at something along these lines (though Madeleine's fate might be a little different):

Love The American. And that opening was shocking as very well staged. I doubt they'll be as provocative as that, though. But I get the gist. The imagery could very well be the same, although the large incentive indicates more than just a simple PTS.
    Perhaps, Cary will use his August trip for inspiration. Also, his girlfriend is from Norway.

Let's hope so, that video alone distances the possibilities re. Bond25 from whatever imagery they used on Fallout. Can you image Bond driving a brand new Aston on that road? Would harken to GF, in the very best of ways.
    Presumably if there is a grant that large being offered, then the role Norway plays is not going be insignificant
  • peterpeter Toronto
    re: the Norway incentives. That's about 5 million dollars US?

Yep. $5.4m. In contrast, the Mexico tax incentives for SP were $20m.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Wow, that's quite a difference. So I guess with EoN pouring in a little money, we're looking at a spectacular PTS and/or a a stylish sequence that's plot-heavy/action-lite? As an uneducated guess.

Wow, that's quite a difference. So I guess with EoN pouring in a little money, we're looking at a spectacular PTS and/or a a stylish sequence that's plot-heavy/action-lite? As an uneducated guess.

Who knows? Snømannen (The Snowman) – set and shot entirely (I think) in Norway, got 40,5m in 2016. Mission Impossible: Fallout was offered 6m for the bit shot at Preikestolen.

The incentives offered is the largest ever for one production, so that probably means the Film institute is doing everything they can to get the production here, and/or that the 47m grant in some way reflects what EON have in mind.

_________
    Treadstone – the Jason Bourne spinoff series, didn't get any incentives.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Who knows? Snømannen (The Snowman) – set and shot entirely (I think) in Norway, got 40,5m in 2016. Mission Impossible: Fallout was offered 6m for the bit shot at Preikestolen.

The incentives offered is the largest ever for one production, so that means the film institute is doing everything they can to get the production here, and/or that the 47m grant in some way reflects what EON have in mind.

_________
    Treadstone – the Jason Bourne spinoff series, didn't get any incentives.

Interesting, @Torgeirtrap ... as @RC7 noted, EoN's wanted to shoot in Norway for a while. I can't imagine too much of the production will be here (THE SNOWMAN'S total budget is probably worth an action sequence or two in a James Bond film), but there must be something specific planned to showcase an incredible locale.
    Like I said everything is falling in line... soon things will be in place