No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,496
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    Thanks @peter sounds promising. Cadiz looks like a beautiful place with varied scenery very Bondian.

Talking of that Heineken advert, I wonder when we'll see it. Given that it was filmed when we had the original release date and now it's moved to February. The summer of 2019 perhaps?

James Bond is on hold as Heineken pushes forward with global campaign

The brewer, which has a long history of cutting ad deals with the Bond franchise, typically does not release its 007 ads until about one-and-a-half months before the movie opens--so it's in wait-and-see mode, says Gianluca Di Tondo, senior director of the global Heineken brand. "Bond is always the cherry on the cake but for us," he says. But "a slight delay is not going to be the end of the world."

For now, Heineken is pushing forward with a new global campaign that replaces "Open Your World," which debuted in 2011. (The new Bond ad, whenever it comes, will be part of the new campaign.)

If they do indeed keep to the one and a half month schedule, it wont be released until the new year.
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Say what you will about Spectre but Hoyte van Hoytema made it look impeccable with his masterful atmospheric way of filming, on actual 35mm film that is.

I have to disagree, but not with the use of 35mm film. I think it was beautiful in it's own way, but the film looked weird. At some points, the actors looked like CGI-constructs, especially at Blofeld's base when Madeleine is shown her father's death. However, there are some exceptions, like the scene between Madeleine and Bond in the L'Americaine.

I think it contributes to the way the "record setting explosion" at the base looks extremely fake. DAD-level fake.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,869
    bondjames wrote: »
    Say what you will about Spectre but Hoyte van Hoytema made it look impeccable with his masterful atmospheric way of filming, on actual 35mm film that is.

I have to disagree. not with the use of 35mm film but I think it was beautiful in it's own way, but the film looked weird. At some points, the actors looked like CGI-constructs, especially at Blofeld's base when Madeleine is shown her father's death. However, there are some exceptions, like the scene between Madeleine and Bond in the L'Americaine.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It's apparent to me in several areas in the film. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional, given how much I see it. L'Americaine is one of the better lensed sections imho, as is White's abode.

From what I tell, Hoyt wanted to give James Bond the same kind of look and feel as his work on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but unfortunately that style doesn't fit with the "modern blockbuster", especially with the modern sets we had. That's why I think parts of it looked strange. It didn't work with the CGI in Mexico City, nor the CGI in Blofeld's base and it didn't look good against the bright Austrian mountains which become reduced to a saturated and uncomfortably medical vibe.

I support this idea even further with the scenes you just mentioned @bondjames, White's abode and L'Americaine were perfect in Spectre because it completely fitted with the dark and dry feel of Cold War spy thrillers. For example, the Hilderbrand safe-house looked beautiful, but then when you get inside MI6 and the scene between M and C, we're back to that weird CGI effect. Overall, the shots just feel small and dark, which looked great in some scenes, distracted me in others. For Spectre, they really needed Deakins back, but I can still appreciate what we were given.

...and to keep this on topic, I can't wait to see what Linus Sandgren is going to give us, I think Bond 25 is going to be a beautiful film.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

I have to disagree. not with the use of 35mm film but I think it was beautiful in it's own way, but the film looked weird. At some points, the actors looked like CGI-constructs, especially at Blofeld's base when Madeleine is shown her father's death. However, there are some exceptions, like the scene between Madeleine and Bond in the L'Americaine.
    I'm glad I'm not the only one who noticed this. It's apparent to me in several areas in the film. I sometimes wonder if it was intentional, given how much I see it. L'Americaine is one of the better lensed sections imho, as is White's abode.

From what I tell, Hoyt wanted to give James Bond the same kind of look and feel as his work on Tinker Tailor Soldier Spy but unfortunately that style doesn't fit with the "modern blockbuster", especially with the modern sets we had. That's why I think parts of it looked strange. It didn't work with the CGI in Mexico City, nor the CGI in Blofeld's base and it didn't look good against the bright Austrian mountains which become reduced to a saturated and uncomfortably medical vibe.

I support this idea even further with the scenes you just mentioned @bondjames, White's abode and L'Americaine were perfect in Spectre because it completely fitted with the dark and dry feel of Cold War spy thrillers. For example, the Hilderbrand safe-house looked beautiful, but then when you get inside MI6 and the scene between M and C, we're back to that weird CGI effect. Overall, the shots just feel small and dark, which looked great in some scenes, distracted me in others. For Spectre, they really needed Deakins back, but I can still appreciate what we were given.

...and to keep this on topic, I can't wait to see what Linus Sandgren is going to give us, I think Bond 25 is going to be a beautiful film.
    Thanks for the explanation @Denbigh. I think Hoyte did a great job with shot composition and framing in SP (it gave the film TSWLM style scale), but the other elements that you mentioned were unfortunate distractions for me, and gave the film an inauthentic feel.

Yes, I look forward to seeing what Sandgren does (I'm not altogether familiar with his output). I'm sure they know how much of a contribution Deakins made to SF's eventual success and reputation, and will look to give us something equally impressive. The bar and expectations for the DoP are high.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    This is indeed interesting. Does anyone know what the benefits of this could be? Is it cheaper? Could there possibly be more night shots which benefit from this approach, like in SF? I'm pretty sure I remember an interview with Craig and Mendes where they both expressed some reservations about digital - apparently there was a lot of after the fact adjustment required because certain actors looked harsh and had to be softened. Also he made a comment about all the time needed to make digital look like film, so why not use film. So it's interesting that they are going back to digital.

I mean someone like Nolan would say film is cheaper!

But it's just apples and oranges, if anything digital does make things easier logistically when it comes to the workflow (no need to digitise the dailies, longer takes and so on) and some costs can come down from that for sure. For the record, the London finale in SP was partially shot on the Alexa 65 which is what I presume they'll be using here - it's really the go to for major films shooting digital.

A DOP close friend and colleague uses Cooke lenses, which are softer, on the Alexa to help give a more filmic look in camera. He shot the latest series of Luther this way.

@ColonelSun , isn’t video cheaper in the long run, even with post considerations (after all film has to be colour corrected and so on...)?
    peter wrote: »
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    antovolk wrote: »
    This is indeed interesting. Does anyone know what the benefits of this could be? Is it cheaper? Could there possibly be more night shots which benefit from this approach, like in SF? I'm pretty sure I remember an interview with Craig and Mendes where they both expressed some reservations about digital - apparently there was a lot of after the fact adjustment required because certain actors looked harsh and had to be softened. Also he made a comment about all the time needed to make digital look like film, so why not use film. So it's interesting that they are going back to digital.

I mean someone like Nolan would say film is cheaper!

But it's just apples and oranges, if anything digital does make things easier logistically when it comes to the workflow (no need to digitise the dailies, longer takes and so on) and some costs can come down from that for sure. For the record, the London finale in SP was partially shot on the Alexa 65 which is what I presume they'll be using here - it's really the go to for major films shooting digital.

A DOP close friend and colleague uses Cooke lenses, which are softer, on the Alexa to help give a more filmic look in camera. He shot the latest series of Luther this way.

@ColonelSun , isn’t video cheaper in the long run, even with post considerations (after all film has to be colour corrected and so on...)?

It is cheaper, and really makes the difference for low or middle budget films.

There are no expensive film stock and processing & negative costs, and the digital footage can be uploaded for the editors much quicker, plus there are advantages re: visual effects post work etc.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I think Bond will do just fine on digital. On certain movies using film makes sense, but on major non-artsy motion pictures it isn't really nessesary. You can barely tell something was shot on 35 anymore since the processing is so good these days. IMO
  • MalloryMallory Do mosquitoes have friends?
    We’re all forgetting Skyfall was shot entirely digitally and thats the best looking film in the entire series.

Hopefully they’ll shoot at an expanded ratio and we can have a nice looking re-framed IMAX release, which they did with SF but not with Spectre, if memory serves correct.
    Mallory wrote: »
    We’re all forgetting Skyfall was shot entirely digitally and thats the best looking film in the entire series.

Hopefully they’ll shoot at an expanded ratio and we can have a nice looking re-framed IMAX release, which they did with SF but not with Spectre, if memory serves correct.

Agree.

Given the magic Deakins accomplished there, I'm certainly a believer anything's possible on digital. And Linus Sandgren certainly has the talent to pull off something similarly impressive.

• DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,869
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Agree.

Given the magic Deakins accomplished there, I'm certainly a believer anything's possible on digital. And Linus Sandgren certainly has the talent to pull off something similarly impressive.

I cannot wait to see what he comes up with. I still remember being mesmerised by the Skyfall teaser trailer, with all those beautiful shots and I won't be surprised if we get the same with Bond 25.
    Looks like were going to get another Skyfall visually.
    Let's hope so.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    edited January 2019 Posts: 243

According to jamesbondmaganist there will be a huge bond 25 update tomorrow, And Norway is one of the hashtags.

According to jamesbondmaganist there will be a huge bond 25 update tomorrow.

The Norwegian James Bond Magazine? I wonder...
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I'm guessing Norway will definitely feature as a location, Fingers crossed!
    Norway and North Africa? Talk about contrast. Heat and fire, would make Forster happy ;) But filmed in Digital by Sandgren and directed by Fukunaga. Wow, one can only imagine what the'll make of these locations.
    Hope it’s legitimate!
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    I'm so excited, whatever the news is :D
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Univex wrote: »
    Norway and North Africa? Talk about contrast. Heat and fire, would make Forster happy ;) But filmed in Digital by Sandgren and directed by Fukunaga. Wow, one can only imagine what the'll make of these locations.

1443551515374.gif
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork

Impeccable? Masterful? SP?? Hell no. The only noteworthy thing about SP was how esoecially bad and disappointing it was. Besides the film being total garbage the colour pallet and cinematography is by far the weakest of the Craig era. Hoytema is talented generally speaking but it's like he didn't bother showing up to work for SP.
    AgentM72 wrote: »

Agree.

I cannot wait to see what he comes up with. I still remember being mesmerised by the Skyfall teaser trailer, with all those beautiful shots and I won't be surprised if we get the same with Bond 25.

Indeed. What a beautiful teaser that was. Just an absolute killer of a mood-setter.

Hot and cold. Kind of like the Gassner/Mendes approach to SPECTRE. ;)

In all seriousness, yes, I hope that's where B25 ultimately lands. Wonderful contrast.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited January 2019 Posts: 1,755

According to jamesbondmaganist there will be a huge bond 25 update tomorrow, And Norway is one of the hashtags.

This should be interesting. I wonder if we’ll hear something from Baz first. He’s been quiet as of late regarding Bond.
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

This should be interesting. I wonder if we’ll hear something from Baz first. He’s been quiet as of late regarding Bond.

I'd expect more along the lines of big casting hints/announcements from Baz, vs. location news.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,291
    Wonder if James Bond-magasinet has any connection to jamesbond.no and the Norwegian James Bond magazine series of the early 00's? Haven't found a connection so far, so it might be a separate thing entirely.

It was reported earlier that an announcement re. the projects that have been awarded with a grant from the incentive scheme will be released by the end of January.
    It was reported earlier that an announcement re. the projects that have been awarded with a grant from the incentive scheme will be released by the end of January.

That's probably it, then.

That's probably it, then.

Yeah, will be surprised if it's anything else. Haven't seen a specific announcement date, and James Bond-magasinet might have some inside information for all we know.
    matt_u wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    I don’t know if this possibility has been mentioned before, but I wouldn’t mind if Madeleine Swann was Bond 25’s Sylvia Trench.

It would be more interesting if they base 007's return to the service on duty rather than revenge. So I agree, having Swann be a character like Trench would be good. Someone who, while still being in Bond's life, doesn't distract from his work and eventually they drift apart.

Just for the record it would be extremely out of character for what we've seen so far in SP. As mentioned in SP Madeleine left her father because she had enough of his sick life as a spy. Then, after falling in love with Bond, she leaves him once she realize he will never change and stop. She explicitly says: "I can't go back to this life". She's not the type of woman who sits home waiting her "fiancé" to come and go, neither a distraction. She will be the first main Bond girl to come back in the next chapter of the series in 58 years so there must been a better reason than just distracting Bond. We'll see.
    She´s not the type for it, but then she never met a real man before James Bond ;-).

I´m not sure how much I care About These Story Details. For sure the Soap opera Relations must stop, but my main gripe with the last two films remains Mendes´ style not at all klicking with me. So I guess I have Nothing to worry About now. I see CF more in the veign of Marc Forster, as far as off path ambitious directors are concerned.

Fukunaga showed two things as a director: his ability to switch genres with powerful imagery and strong performances, and his maniacal attention to the psychology of his characters. His best works always dealt with protagonists suffering some mental issues. So I'm expecting a Bond movie with a more edgy direction - yet not extreme as QoS - than the last two with a lot of focus on Bond's psyche. I think Fukunaga's approach to Bond is going to be like the opposite of Forster, since you mentioned him. Forster used style and concept as a tool to hide the movie tiny plot and characters writing, making an abstract Bond picture fast as a bullet, with no coordinates, the most conceptual Bond movie ever. On the other hand I predict Fukunaga will make a more "formally" classical Bond movie - maybe with just some technically extreme standout sequences like in Maniac and TD - but with a never seen before in the saga attention to the psychology of Bond as a human being. Which is also goin to be interesting material for Craig as an actor to work with.
    Totally agree with you, @matt_u. My post was a bit oversimplified. What I meant with the comparison Forster-Fukunaga was that both are a bit leftfield choices, both haven´t done something like Bond before, but their styles, though different from one another, both resonate with me at least in some projects. As opposed to Mendes, who might or might not be a good Bond director, but his films do not resonate with me for some reason.

• RC7RC7
    EON have been sniffing around Norway for years - even before and during SP. Wouldn’t be surprising at all if they finally shoot their for B25.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 5,767
    You can easily go back at least till TSHLM, which makes heavy use of contrasts. One of the best being Bond being briefed at a naval base, and then, cut, Bond in the desert. Magnificent.

doubleoego wrote: »

Impeccable? Masterful? SP?? Hell no. The only noteworthy thing about SP was how esoecially bad and disappointing it was. Besides the film being total garbage the colour pallet and cinematography is by far the weakest of the Craig era. Hoytema is talented generally speaking but it's like he didn't bother showing up to work for SP.
    And to ballance that harshness, I admit that I don´t get at all all the Deakins worship for SF ;-). Not that he´s not talented, but there are films the cinematography of which fascinates me much more.