No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Getafix wrote: »
    I imagine Norway will be used for an action sequence. I can't see them shooting some dramatic scene in the fjords. So it might even just be second unit going to Norway. Yes it could be for the PTS, but who knows.

Just for the record back in 2014 five weeks of filming in Rome costed 60 million $. I don't know if this is taking into account all the money spent destroying supercars (37 million $). Hopefully in Norway there won't be the need to spend 1 million $ just for cleaning the streets... XD
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 820

I think it's a good song, but not performed for optimum impact. I think Smith could have done it better himself (in a lower pitch) or perhaps it just suits a female vocal better.

It's undermined by the lacklustre chemistry between Craig and Seydoux on screen as well.

Having said that, the brief use of the melody when they board the train in the desert elevates that sequence massively.

I've always felt that if they'd kept the bombastic through-line in the chorus (and avoided the high pitch + sudden slowdown element), they'd have had a very well-received 007 tune on their hands that would potentially even find its way into the conversation around the classics.

AgentM72 wrote: »
    Bentley007 wrote: »

It was pointed out on another site that it is 25 percent coverage of total costs for filming, meaning Bond 25 would have committed to spending approximately 20 million USD on Filming in Norway. Does this mean PTS or at least major screen time in the plot?

It's not insignificant, but doesn't exactly scream "a ton" of the overall (presumed) budget range for the film. I'd lean toward it being a sign it's for a particular sequence, like the PTS -- but then again, you could accomplish something quite stunning with a bit of location work combined with a Pinewood set, IE, for a villain's retreat or something.

Other grants might be given too, as NFI's website suggests:
    Grants given under the incentive scheme may be combined with grants from regional funds in Norway and development and marketing grants from The Norwegian Film Institute.

More about the incentive scheme can be read here:
    https://www.nfi.no/eng/grantsfunding/the-incentive-scheme
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    BTW I'm very happy about this news. Love Norway's dramatic landscape.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited January 2019 Posts: 2,541
    A shame that Bond always seems to be trailing in the competition's wake these days. Still, Norway could be good. Hopefully it is going to be well used.

In Fallout were the scenes shot in Norway set in Norway? I seem to remember those sections being set central Asia or somewhere like that.

As far as I remember only the end fight on the cliff was shot in Norway to doubled as Kashmir, India

What about the helicopter chase and the WHO camp? Was that Norway or New Zealand?

Helicopter chase was shot in New Zealand but I don't have any idea about WHO camp.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I wonder if the possibility of Norway as a location suggests a Norwegian cast member. Is that normally a requirement of an incentive? Local acting content? I suppose it could depend on whether Norway is playing itself or standing in for someplace else.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 17,288
    bondjames wrote: »
    I wonder if the possibility of Norway as a location suggests a Norwegian cast member. Is that normally a requirement of an incentive? Local acting content? I suppose it could depend on whether Norway is playing itself or standing in for someplace else.

The Snowman was filmed and set in Norway, with Norwegian characters, but included hardly any Norwegian actors/actresses (in credited roles).
  • DaltonCraig007DaltonCraig007 They say, "Evil prevails when good men fail to act." What they ought to say is, "Evil prevails."
    edited January 2019 Posts: 15,690
    Ralph Fiennes joins the production of Farnsworth House as the leading role, alongside Maggie Gyllenhaal.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/maggie-gyllenhaal-ralph-fiennes-farnsworth-house-1202541647/

He is also already onboard Kingsman: The Great Game and The Forgiven.

The Snowman was filmed and set in Norway, but included hardly any Norwegians (in credited roles).
    Great, thanks. I've always wondered if countries insisted on such inclusion as a prerequisite, to help local talent get global exposure.
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    So was this HUGE news just the Norway announcement?
    Denbigh wrote: »
    So was this HUGE news just the Norway announcement?
    Yes.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    Well that was underwhelming.

The Snowman was filmed and set in Norway, but included hardly any Norwegians (in credited roles).
    Great, thanks. I've always wondered if countries insisted on such inclusion as a prerequisite, to help local talent get global exposure.

I had a read through the requirements of the incentive scheme again, and there's a qualification test in which the production must achieve at least the minimum required score. In it (it's a document you can download), there's a score awarded for including different elements under two categories: a cultural criteria and a production criteria.

In short, each production gains a score for including elements such as:
    - Storyline of the film/series production is connected with a Norwegian or European setting, place, location, architectural or cultural setting

- Storyline, script, central theme of the film/series production focuses on current cultural, sociological or political themes or events.

- The film/series production reflects Norwegian or European values, culture, identity, customs or traditions

- The film makers are Norwegian citizens or citizens of EEA member states (one point is awarded for each point below, a maximum of eight points)

(Director, producer/co-producer, lead actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, composer etc.)

- At least 51% of the crew (excluding the positions mentioned in section 11) are Norwegian citizens or citizens of EEA member states.

- Shooting takes place on locations or in studios in Norway

It looks like if the production qualifies during other criterias, they won't have to include actors or actresses from Norway.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Ralph Fiennes joins the production of Farnsworth House as the leading role, alongside Maggie Gyllenhaal.

https://deadline.com/2019/01/maggie-gyllenhaal-ralph-fiennes-farnsworth-house-1202541647/

And he's in talks to star in The Dig with Nicole Kidman, and has press coming up for The White Crow. How does he have the time?
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    Red_Snow wrote: »

And he's in talks to star in The Dig with Nicole Kidman, and has press coming up for The White Crow. How does he have the time?

Very good stuff, this possibly means we'll have a more traditional M in Bond 25.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883

I had a read through the requirements of the incentive scheme again, and there's a qualification test in which the production must achieve at least the minimum required score. In it (it's a document you can download), there's a score awarded for including different elements under two categories: a cultural criteria and a production criteria.

- Storyline of the film/series production is connected with a Norwegian or European setting, place, location, architectural or cultural setting

- Storyline, script, central theme of the film/series production focuses on current cultural, sociological or political themes or events.

- The film/series production reflects Norwegian or European values, culture, identity, customs or traditions

- The film makers are Norwegian citizens or citizens of EEA member states (one point is awarded for each point below, a maximum of eight points)

(Director, producer/co-producer, lead actor/actress, supporting actor/actress, composer etc.)

- At least 51% of the crew (excluding the positions mentioned in section 11) are Norwegian citizens or citizens of EEA member states.

It looks like if the production qualifies during other criterias, they won't have to include actors or actresses from Norway.
    Interesting. Thanks for this. I'd surmise, given the relatively large incentive offered, that perhaps Bond 25 is in fact going to reflect such cultural values and elements. Something that perhaps MI:Fallout didn't, given the location stood in for Northern India.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 832
    Denbigh wrote: »
    Red_Snow wrote: »

Very good stuff, this possibly means we'll have a more traditional M in Bond 25.

Good. I hope they manage to keep the regulars on post craig, but for the mostpart dont have them do more than Q in ltk. Except wishaw, have him do as much as in sf-sp.
  • 007Blofeld007Blofeld In the freedom of the West.
    So Norway is probably going to be the pts of Bond 25
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    007Blofeld wrote: »
    So Norway is probably going to be the pts of Bond 25

I wouldn't be surprised at this. Follow the model of what is widely considered the most successful part of Spectre.

Interesting. Thanks for this. I'd surmise, given the relatively large incentive offered, that perhaps Bond 25 is in fact going to reflect such cultural values and elements. Something that perhaps MI:Fallout didn't, given the location stood in for Northern India.

It wouldn't be surprising if this is true. Worth mentioning though, B25 looks to fulfill a lot of the criteria only by being a primarily European production. Having a lead actor from a EEA member state is awarded a point, for example. Don't know how Brexit will affect this though!

It wouldn't be surprising if this is true. Worth mentioning though, B25 looks to fulfill a lot of the criteria only by being a primarily European production. Having a lead actor from a EEA member state is awarded a point, for example. Don't know how Brexit will affect this though!
    Haha. That is indeed a good point. I'd hope it's based on criteria in effect at the time of application rather than the time of release, but it raises interesting questions about the future. Frankly, that may in fact be a primary reason for the one picture distribution deal, come to think of it. Lots of financial variables to consider in the future.
    At least we have a location (99%) confirmed. I’m glad it’s Norway too! I suspect we may get another location or two revealed in the next month, and then finally the main casting/title news.

Haha. That is indeed a good point. I'd hope it's based on criteria in effect at the time of application rather than the time of release, but it raises interesting questions about the future. Frankly, that may in fact be a primary reason for the one picture distribution deal, come to think of it. Lots of financial variables to consider in the future.

Guess EON (and the NFI) have taken this into consideration during the application process. It does indeed raise questions regarding the future (from a production point of view at least). Like any other company that might be affected by the Brexit, EON probably have plans in order.

Guess EON (and the NFI) have taken this into consideration during the application process. It does indeed raise questions regarding the future (from a production point of view at least). Like any other company that might be affected by the Brexit, EON probably have plans in order.
    The issue with Brexit is the tremendous business uncertainty, especially when it comes to x-border arrangements (with the US and with Europe). With that sort of question mark, business tends to become tactical and look only to the short term.

The issue with Brexit is the tremendous business uncertainty, especially when it comes to x-border arrangements (with the US and with Europe). With that sort of question mark, business tends to become tactical and look only to the short term.

Yes, that's a likely outcome. Hopefully Brexit won't be something that hits the Bond production too hard – now or in the future.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 4,619
    I wonder, is Barbara Broccoli prepared for a hard Brexit scenario?
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator

She has. She told me.
    She also said that she will be back for Bond 26, 27, 28...till she no longer can carry on.
    When she can has had enough, she will hand the reins onto a new member of the Broccoli family.
    She was adamant that EON is not for sale, and Mr.Nolan will not be producing any foreseeable Bond films.
    This also has nothing to do with Bond 25 @PanchitoPistoles
    It's merely a hope and a dream on your part, my old friend.
    edited January 2019 Posts: 23,883
    This is probably as much an MGM decision as it is an EON one. I'd assume they've given it due consideration when looking at costs and production decisions for B25. They would have had to. It's a very complex conversation with many variables. I'm not sure how costs are distributed and accounted for within the production scheme but Brexit could have impacted where they chose to film, where they spend the costs, and how much is being done in London.
    Why are we so sure it’s the pts my guess is it’s the climax just to be opposite of everyone else
  • DenbighDenbigh UK
    edited January 2019 Posts: 5,869
    Either way I think Norway is a bloody good location. Maybe we'll get a Bondian boat chase :) Maybe Ingrid Bolsø Berdal will get another chance to be a Bond girl. I heard rumours of her possible casting as Madeleine Swann, who I think was going to be Scandanavian at the time.