Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Shardlake wrote: »
    We'll forget about it and start again shall we @Univex, friends?

To be honest my opinion on it isn't that strong because I know until DC says he's done then and only then will the search begin.

1) Of course, dear friend. Cheers for that
    2) I love Craig. I've seen a new pic with him and Viggo - a brand new one, with other 2 folk - in which he looked better than ever. I'd be ok with him staying on the role, he's been around through the best years of my life and has given us stellar quality films.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    talos7 wrote: »
    When did B.B. meet with Idris Elba ? And I’m not talking about a random meeting.

I'm sure Naomi Harris mentioned it around Skyfall possibly.

BB has never met with him. The entire Elba myth sprang from a hypothetical that B.B. answered diplomatically.

peter wrote: »
    Now that we got that out of the way, I'm being damn serious about my latest hobby: I am pitching myself as Bond no. 007.

www.petersheldrickISthenext0074shore.com

Go there and see my incredible audition piece. Turner, Hardy, whatever. Watch me do better FRWL than SC.

If we're talking over obsessing over anyone, obsess over me.

I wont come back on this thread until I see some recognition for this project.

I support this I presume you also want an Auetur Director in the vein of Boyle lmao
    Now that we got that out of the way, I'm being damn serious about my latest hobby: I am pitching myself as Bond no. 007.

Go there and see my incredible audition piece. Turner, Hardy, whatever. Watch me do better FRWL than SC.

Link's not working for me. ;)
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Risico007 wrote: »

I support this I presume you also want an Auetur Director in the vein of Boyle lmao

Yes Boyle, please... He will do these cool angles, like: upside down, and stuff...
    Link's not working for me.

Dude, PM me and I'll give you the password (hint: VEPSRE), cool @mattjoes ????
    @peter while it’s true that the family has a history of negotiating with an established Bond, they were also evaluating, even testing possible replacements, look how close we came to getting James Brolin. I tend to think that at this point, while being loyal to Daniel, taking into consideration his age , because of the time between films, and lukewarm reception to SPECTRE, they are more , possibly, active in looking to the future.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @talos7 ... I believe there is someone, or some people, at EoN, who keeps a list of interesting actors.

I think there's always been this list, especially after SC's first departure.

This list is always updated.

But as far as actively searching for a Bond right now? Not happening until DC makes it official. And if he makes it official to BB at the beginning, or during production? She won't look until the film is in the can, the marketing machine is well on its way, and the delivery of the film to cinemas happens. Nothing will disrupt B25. The media will try. She will double-speak her way around it and talk about the new adventure-- not one that doesn't exist...

I think DC's exit will be heavily stage-managed, and, even if he says this is his last (likely), I would not put it past BB to give one last pitch to her James Bond).
    Would really like to see that list.
    Univex wrote: »
    Because it’s a question of identification with the character’s physical traits, which also allows for more escapism, and not of sexual or phenotypical attraction to the actor who portays it. Can’t see why this is lost on you.

It’s as easy as this, a male adolescent who discovers Bond and is delighted to have a grownup he can identify with physically, being able to project himself unto that future image, isn’t going to quietly take on a completely different take on said imagery. He will complain as hell. Then he’ll make peace with said take because the actor has charisma and acting chops to boot. Just don’t excpect that, years later, the grownup who is Bond’s age by now doesn’t want a good actor that happens to looks like Bond and like himself to take on the role.

Can’t understand why you keep confusing this sort of thing with enfactuation. Honestly, I expect a bit more from some forum members. It’s not rocket science or advanced psychoanalysis, is it?

Comments about how strongly straight men are vocal about this almost borderline homofobia.

And yes, I’ll shut up now, because most things that pass under the mods radars these days are plain passive agressive. And when people try to react to them, they sound as agressive as i do right now. It’s the objective if every smart saddistic poster.

So please, be free to skip another diplomatic intervention. There’s no need. Attacks, veiled or not, stop here, i hope.

You should be careful who accuse of being a homophobe, my Wife is entirely flabbergasted at your insinuation.

A number of our friends are gay and I'm totally comfortable with my sexuality

My point was a good number of men on this forum in its previous incarnation were very vocal about DC not being good-looking enough to play Bond, that is not a slur, it's a fact.

Damn, @Shardlake, I didn't want to imply that you were a homophobe, man. I was saying that you shouldn't call people obsessive about someone if we're in a thread like this. And you're really gonna tell me you haven't continually insisted that defending one candidate is close to being infatuated? If not, I'm sorry I misread your criticism. But here, I'll give you an example. Like you I dislike Hardy as a candidate. And there is a ton of his supporters here. I don't insinuate their fandom is close to a sickness like you often do. You do know that, for example, @Germanlady left these forums for similar reasons (although, to be fair, she would be the first to say she was infatuated with Craig, lol). Like I said, we go way back, I've been here since circa 1999. I even share loads of opinions with you and keep you in high regard. So, nothing personal, I was shocked with your intervention, but I think I misread it. No biggie.

BTW, glad you're not an homophobe :) lol, neither am I, nor my wife. Please apologise to your wife. Maybe we can all have dinner sometime and discuss your dislike for Turner and my dislike for Hardy. Cheers

To be honest my opinion on it isn't that strong because I know until DC says he's done then and only then will the search begin.

If Turner is still a candidate I certainly won't boycott the film, Cavill I can't say. Tom Hardy I think has shown some great skill as an actor in a number of roles but Bond he's just not right. I'll be happy to see what Turner does if that day comes.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this Turner bandwagon business.

I will wait to see how he does but then if Craig does do another one and it's not off the table yet, that would mean even more years to wait for the next guy.

I'm perfectly aware that thought horrifies some, some have made it quite vocal and others do it more subtlety but I'm finding the tide turning on DC on this forum, his position here is very different to say 5- 6 years ago.

Some are already claiming Bond 25 isn't going to do well, some concerned some just wishful thinking as it would prove their point.

Though Turner could well get that role that propels him past the situation where he'd be considered, it's a possibility

Also, I think it's very unlikely BB is taking meetings with Turner about playing Bond. She took a meeting with Idris Elba and look what that led to.

If Turner has met EON now, I think the chances are it's more likely for a role in Bond 25 and if Aidan takes that role, forget him being Bond.

Until Daniel Craig definitively says he's done, then the hunt for the next Bond will begin and not till then.

Excellent points @Shardlake ... what people fail to realize is that the Broccoli family is bloody loyal; if it wasn't MGM forcing Cubby's hand (something that pissed everyone off), TD would have had at least one more Bond picture under his belt.

Broccoli and DC are exceptionally tight. Their daughters (DC's and BB's) are good friends and Broccoli jr cast Craig jr as the lead in one of her short films.

The real search for the new 007 will happen when DC tells his producer he is well and truly done (which I think is likely to happen with this film, more than not. However, i still think BB will pitch him hard for one more if B25 is a success).

It will also depend on how they leave Bond at the end of this film. But I agree never say never. We've had one bond come back after a break and another one continue into his mid/late 50s so there's no ruling out a 6 Craig entry just yet.
    Personally I think Craig would fancy a 6th outing if B25 does well.
  • peterpeter Toronto

PM me. I hacked into their account. Would you believe that Cubby at one point had his eye on American actor, Corey Feldman? He thought there was potential to grow into the role.

In all seriousness, it's like any other casting list that casting directors have. I've been a part of this process and these lists are interesting, and, at times, bizarre; the CD gives producers a list with headshots, trying to cover all angles of the characters they're trying to fill. Some are on the nose and obvious choices. Others, off the beaten path.

I imagine that EoN has a similar machine in the works (headshots and list of names).

• edited January 2019 Posts: 17,295

PM me. I hacked into their account. Would you believe that Cubby at one point had his eye on American actor, Corey Feldman? He thought there was potential to grow into the role.

Hahahaha! :))
    In all seriousness, it's like any other casting list that casting directors have. I've been a part of this process and these lists are interesting, and, at times, bizarre; the CD gives producers a list with headshots, trying to cover all angles of the characters they're trying to fill. Some are on the nose and obvious choices. Others, off the beaten path.

I imagine that EoN has a similar machine in the works (headshots and list of names).

This is really the reason it would be interesting to see such a list. Which names are mentioned, discussed and looked at (headshots and all) – and for which roles? I have no doubt there have been some pretty interesting names considered for other parts in the Bond franchise too – villains, Bond girls, M, Moneypenny, Q. Imagine the various possibilities they could have looked at for Q! I mean, it's quite a step to go from John Cleese to Ben Whishaw! Not in a quality of the actor kind of way, but in terms of age difference, background and how recognizable a name.
  • peterpeter Toronto

This is really the reason it would be interesting to see such a list. Which names are mentioned, discussed and looked at (headshots and all) – and for which roles? I have no doubt there have been some pretty interesting names considered for other parts in the Bond franchise too – villains, Bond girls, M, Moneypenny, Q. Imagine the various possibilities they could have looked at for Q! I mean, it's quite a step to go from John Cleese to Ben Whishaw! Not in a quality of the actor kind of way, but in terms of age difference, background and how recognizable a name.

Absolutely. The casting "game" is fun to watch and be involved in. But to be a casting director would be stressful to me. They have a very well trained eye, and they will see what you and me and others, just don't see. On any given film they go through hundreds and hundreds of headshots before the auditioning process even begins.
    Bloody hell Corey Feldman ? That waster ?

Absolutely. The casting "game" is fun to watch and be involved in. But to be a casting director would be stressful to me. They have a very well trained eye, and they will see what you and me and others, just don't see. On any given film they go through hundreds and hundreds of headshots before the auditioning process even begins.

Don't doubt the pressures of the CD job – at least on this level, when you're working on a massive franchise. We have a brilliant example now with "seeing what others don't see"; if Rami Malek is cast as a villain (which several members have expressed concern about), it's not only because he's in the spotlight. They must see something in the guy that can be convincing in the role he's rumored for. Personally I think he's a good actor, and would be excited about what he could do in the right role.

Can't wait to see if it's him or someone else that's playing the villain in B25!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Don't doubt the pressures of the CD job – at least on this level, when you're working on a massive franchise. We have a brilliant example now with "seeing what others don't see"; if Rami Malek is cast as a villain (which several members have expressed concern about), it's not only because he's in the spotlight. They must see something in the guy that can be convincing in the role he's rumored for. Personally I think he's a good actor, and would be excited about what he could do in the right role.

Can't wait to see if it's him or someone else that's playing the villain in B25!

Bang on, @Torgeirtrap ... If they make the schedule work for Mr. Robot (which EoN will be on the hook for-- as in they will pay top $$ for the price of re-scheduling Malek and his time to fit both the 007 picture and the TV series), then his announcement will come very shortly. It's clear they want him, though. A person doesn't act like a deer caught in the headlights when broached about the topic-- unless he's uncomfortable with the questioning because he has, indeed, been sought after, and quite aggressively.

Time will tell.
    Although to be fair, @peter, Malek's acting often resembles exactly a deer caught in the headlights :) And it works marvellously, IMO. Guy's really strange and a good actor.

Hope he gets the part.

Bang on, @Torgeirtrap ... If they make the schedule work for Mr. Robot (which EoN will be on the hook for-- as in they will pay top $$ for the price of re-scheduling Malek and his time to fit both the 007 picture and the TV series), then his announcement will come very shortly. It's clear they want him, though. A person doesn't act like a deer caught in the headlights when broached about the topic-- unless he's uncomfortable with the questioning because he has, indeed, been sought after, and quite aggressively.

Time will tell.

He does tend to look like a deer caught in the headlights, like @Univex writes :))
    I'd be surprised if someone else turns up at the press conference. If EON can't find a way to sort out the scheduling conflict, I think we can at least expect someone who share some of the qualities in Malek's acting.

His age is also an interesting point. Being 13 years younger than Craig makes me think of the age gap between Roger Moore and Christopher Walken in AVTAK – a film CJF has expressed appreciation for. Coincidence perhaps, but a bit interesting.
    e
    Getafix wrote: »
    Because it’s a question of identification with the character’s physical traits, which also allows for more escapism, and not of sexual or phenotypical attraction to the actor who portays it. Can’t see why this is lost on you.

It’s as easy as this, a male adolescent who discovers Bond and is delighted to have a grownup he can identify with physically, being able to project himself unto that future image, isn’t going to quietly take on a completely different take on said imagery. He will complain as hell. Then he’ll make peace with said take because the actor has charisma and acting chops to boot. Just don’t excpect that, years later, the grownup who is Bond’s age by now doesn’t want a good actor that happens to looks like Bond and like himself to take on the role.

Can’t understand why you keep confusing this sort of thing with enfactuation. Honestly, I expect a bit more from some forum members. It’s not rocket science or advanced psychoanalysis, is it?

Comments about how strongly straight men are vocal about this almost borderline homofobia.

And yes, I’ll shut up now, because most things that pass under the mods radars these days are plain passive agressive. And when people try to react to them, they sound as agressive as i do right now. It’s the objective if every smart saddistic poster.

So please, be free to skip another diplomatic intervention. There’s no need. Attacks, veiled or not, stop here, i hope.

You should be careful who accuse of being a homophobe, my Wife is entirely flabbergasted at your insinuation.

A number of our friends are gay and I'm totally comfortable with my sexuality

My point was a good number of men on this forum in its previous incarnation were very vocal about DC not being good-looking enough to play Bond, that is not a slur, it's a fact.

Damn, @Shardlake, I didn't want to imply that you were a homophobe, man. I was saying that you shouldn't call people obsessive about someone if we're in a thread like this. And you're really gonna tell me you haven't continually insisted that defending one candidate is close to being infatuated? If not, I'm sorry I misread your criticism. But here, I'll give you an example. Like you I dislike Hardy as a candidate. And there is a ton of his supporters here. I don't insinuate their fandom is close to a sickness like you often do. You do know that, for example, @Germanlady left these forums for similar reasons (although, to be fair, she would be the first to say she was infatuated with Craig, lol). Like I said, we go way back, I've been here since circa 1999. I even share loads of opinions with you and keep you in high regard. So, nothing personal, I was shocked with your intervention, but I think I misread it. No biggie.

BTW, glad you're not an homophobe :) lol, neither am I, nor my wife. Please apologise to your wife. Maybe we can all have dinner sometime and discuss your dislike for Turner and my dislike for Hardy. Cheers

If Turner is still a candidate I certainly won't boycott the film, Cavill I can't say. Tom Hardy I think has shown some great skill as an actor in a number of roles but Bond he's just not right. I'll be happy to see what Turner does if that day comes.

I'm just having a bit of fun with this Turner bandwagon business.

I will wait to see how he does but then if Craig does do another one and it's not off the table yet, that would mean even more years to wait for the next guy.

I'm perfectly aware that thought horrifies some, some have made it quite vocal and others do it more subtlety but I'm finding the tide turning on DC on this forum, his position here is very different to say 5- 6 years ago.

Some are already claiming Bond 25 isn't going to do well, some concerned some just wishful thinking as it would prove their point.

Though Turner could well get that role that propels him past the situation where he'd be considered, it's a possibility

Also, I think it's very unlikely BB is taking meetings with Turner about playing Bond. She took a meeting with Idris Elba and look what that led to.

If Turner has met EON now, I think the chances are it's more likely for a role in Bond 25 and if Aidan takes that role, forget him being Bond.

Until Daniel Craig definitively says he's done, then the hunt for the next Bond will begin and not till then.

Excellent points @Shardlake ... what people fail to realize is that the Broccoli family is bloody loyal; if it wasn't MGM forcing Cubby's hand (something that pissed everyone off), TD would have had at least one more Bond picture under his belt.

Broccoli and DC are exceptionally tight. Their daughters (DC's and BB's) are good friends and Broccoli jr cast Craig jr as the lead in one of her short films.

The real search for the new 007 will happen when DC tells his producer he is well and truly done (which I think is likely to happen with this film, more than not. However, i still think BB will pitch him hard for one more if B25 is a success).

It will also depend on how they leave Bond at the end of this film. But I agree never say never. We've had one bond come back after a break and another one continue into his mid/late 50s so there's no ruling out a 6 Craig entry just yet.

Part of Daniel Craig's 2005 James Bond film contract leaked!:

The undersigned does hereby agree to make the aforementioned James Bond motion picture plus three more James Bond motion pictures at a period of time to be determined by Eon Productions/Danjaq. If the undersigned wishes to leave the role after the fourth James Bond motion picture he cannot. The role is to be played in perpetuity.

I believe Daniel did question this part of the contract: "doesn't perpetuity mean forever?" but MG Wilson said "don't bother about that, it's just legal stuff. Not important. Just sign at the dotted line!"

:P
  • peterpeter Toronto

Time will tell.

He does tend to look like a deer caught in the headlights, like @Univex writes :))
    I'd be surprised if someone else turns up at the press conference. If EON can't find a way to sort out the scheduling conflict, I think we can at least expect someone who share some of the qualities in Malek's acting.

His age is also an interesting point. Being 13 years younger than Craig makes me think of the age gap between Roger Moore and Christopher Walken in AVTAK – a film CJF has expressed appreciation for. Coincidence perhaps, but a bit interesting.

Agreed it is interesting and lends another dynamic to the DC era (taking on an enemy who is younger with nefarious qualities and lethality that perhaps James Bond has never encountered; entitled and sadistic, but using means that the younger generation will use to better the older generation).
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I'm about to start viewing Punisher Season 2.

Someone who I'm keeping an eye on is Ben Barnes. 6ft 1, 37 years old and he looks good for his age. I first noticed him in Westworld. His name doesn't seem to come up on any lists. Perhaps that's a good thing.
    tcZq5gH.jpg
    8RLGVF9.jpg

Time will tell.

Agreed it is interesting and lends another dynamic to the DC era (taking on an enemy who is younger with nefarious qualities and lethality that perhaps James Bond has never encountered; entitled and sadistic, but using means that the younger generation will use to better the older generation).

Yes, this was the first thing I thought about re. the Malek rumours. In a world that's changing so fast (most of all when it comes to technology), it might be a good thing that an older Craig Bond takes on a different and younger kind of villain. Walken was a brilliant casting for Moore's Bond, IMO – and I would love to see that in a modern version on screen with Craig and Malek, directed by CJF. It would be a nice throwback to AVTAK, and an interesting way to (potentially) end an era I've not been crazy about.

When the next Bond actor is cast, we might see the age difference between him and the main villain actor turn the other way around, with Bond being the younger spy up against a seasoned villain; a Mr. White type for example.
  • Univex wrote: »
    Revelator wrote: »
    If I recall correctly it was Fleming who found Connery in the beginning too Italian(?)/foreign looking, but later loved him.

I don't think Fleming found Connery too Italian/foreign looking--after all, he'd written earlier that Bond was tanned and looked slightly un-English and foreign. He was more worried about whether Connery had the sophistication for the part. He put away his reservations after seeing Connery in person on a few occasions.

Interesting, but quite different from what I heard in a few documentaries. The point remains the same.

Yes, well, these things get blown out of proportion throughout the years. It probably wasn't that much of deal back then.

3xqzyidt0qt01.jpg
    quote-i-m-looking-for-commander-james-bond-not-an-overgrown-stunt-man-on-meeting-sean-connery-ian-fleming-125-10-78.jpg

The poster, BTW, is brilliant, wouldn't you say?
    MV5BMTg2NzI4NjY1Nl5BMl5BanBnXkFtZTgwNjUxOTc3NTM@._V1_UY1200_CR92,0,630,1200_AL_.jpg

Is that Serena from UnREAL? Holy crap that show is incredible.
  • What about Emily Blunt? Her acting range is incredible. Have you seen The Adjustment Bureau? Her character could have been bland, but she made her alluring and unique.
    InTheWind wrote: »
    What about Emily Blunt? Her acting range is incredible. Have you seen The Adjustment Bureau? Her character could have been bland, but she made her alluring and unique.
    So you want her to Play James Bond?

barryt007 wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either. I think he's grown to rather like being 007
    boldfinger wrote: »
    InTheWind wrote: »
    What about Emily Blunt? Her acting range is incredible. Have you seen The Adjustment Bureau? Her character could have been bland, but she made her alluring and unique.
    So you want her to Play James Bond?
    Please no, she's already ruined a beloved character.
    Getafix wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »

Yeah I wouldn't be surprised either. I think he's grown to rather like being 007

He does like being 007 doesn't he? In his own fashion.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    talos7 wrote: »

I love Danny DeVito-- his Penguin (amongst other roles), seared to my memory.

And Madden has dreamy hair. This boy will not be wearing a toupee or getting plugs if he becomes the next James Bond, that's for sure. Plus they could continue to style it in luscious waves on top of his head, giving him an extra four inches in height.

That's it, I just convinced myself absolutely:

Madden and his hair for the next 007.
  • edited January 2019 Posts: 6,677
    Danny DeVito for Bond!!!

What? I can see it :)

DeVito is a giant.

or

Madden's hair for 007.

Richard Madden's hair is Ian Fleming's James Bond in DREAMHAIR...or HARPIECE (for irony)...or On Her Majesty's hairy situations...oh my, that won't do.