Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

lol, same here. My wife would shave my head at night just for spite.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Univex wrote: »
    lol, same here. My wife would shave my head at night just for spite.

:))

'yesh'

tumblr_owt4cp5rkC1wzvt9qo1_400.gif
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I sometimes wonder whether I've accidentally logged onto either the Aidan Turner Forum or the Tom Cruise is Lord God and the best actor around forum when I come on here.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Shardlake wrote: »
    I sometimes wonder whether I've accidentally logged onto either the Aidan Turner Forum or the Tom Cruise is Lord God and the best actor around forum when I come on here.

eheh, Tom Cruise is Lord God? Yes, I too am quite sick of all the M:I love. But this thread is about Bond contenders, so it's natural that some defend some, and some defend others. It's all good fun and games.

But I do know your opinion on Turner, @Shardlake, it's there on page 446:

"Aidan Turner won't be James Bond ever".

So I know you fell quite strongly against it, for some reason(s). Like I don't want Hardy or Hemsworth near the role. So I can relate to your feelings on the matter.
    Off topic, but why is Gen Y OK with facial hair, be it stubble or beards, but not hairy chest?
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Off topic, but why is Gen Y OK with facial hair, be it stubble or beards, but not hairy chest?

No ideia?! Crazy folks. But a good question.
    It's kind of absurd isn't it? Now some men shaver their chest (and legs, and armpits), but not their face!

Why I find it so difficult to picture young actors as Bond is partially because so many of them are unshaved, even when they are in a suit.
    Why I find it so difficult to picture young actors as Bond is partially because so many of them are unshaved, even when they are in a suit.

They just don't seem to have the internal limit or organisation needed to maintain a ritual that requires some degree of work and daily skill and that speaks volumes of a man's independence and mettlesomeness, not to mention pride, pep and dignity.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Please never dismiss a good manscaping! Trust me. It’s cleaner “down there”... ; hairy arm pits look like crap. Plus, body hair covers so many flesh-rolls that we all ready know are there, lol. If you love your woman, or you love your man, please manscape so they don’t have to floss their teeth with your chest hair (which, btw, I have a lot of but trim down for my Bond girl, and she appreciates it, and I benefit from her appreciation!!!).
    peter wrote: »
    Please never dismiss a good manscaping! Trust me. It’s cleaner “down there”... ; hairy arm pits look like crap. Plus, body hair covers so many flesh-rolls that we all ready know are there, lol. If you love your woman, or you love your man, please manscape so they don’t have to floss their teeth with your chest hair (which, btw, I have a lot of but trim down for my Bond girl, and she appreciates it, and I benefit from her appreciation!!!).

Trim and manscaping is one thing, full chest waxing is another, my friend ;)

That baffles me. So many of the Bond candidates mentioned as Craig replacements have facial hair, beards and what not. I don't recall Fleming, Gardner, Benson, etc ever describing Bond's beard. Perhaps the band members of ZZ Top should audition to replace Craig?
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,335
    It's kind of absurd isn't it? Now some men shaver their chest (and legs, and armpits), but not their face!

For the little amount of beard I do have, I use a beard trimmer that always leave an even stubble. I see nothing wrong with that. That's not for Bond though – unless a scene or situation requires him to have a beard.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

That baffles me. So many of the Bond candidates mentioned as Craig replacements have facial hair, beards and what not. I don't recall Fleming, Gardner, Benson, etc ever describing Bond's beard. Perhaps the band members of ZZ Top should audition to replace Craig?

Frank Beard usually doesn't have a beard. Just sayin'.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Univex wrote: »
    peter wrote: »

Trim and manscaping is one thing, full chest waxing is another, my friend ;)

Waxing is a no-no. Manscaping is a yes-yes... for everyone..
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Manscaping and body hair!
    Little off topic methinks.

I wouldn’t mind a soft reboot when Bond #7 is cast. An actor in their early thirties. Maybe a Bond at the beginning of his career. Give EON plenty of options, especially where the actors age is concerned.
    No idea what up coming actors would be on that list at the moment.
    If the process is not to many years down the track, then Turner would still have a shot. He has a youthful look. Depends on what and when Bond 26 holds.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Benny wrote: »
    Manscaping and body hair!
    Little off topic methinks.

I wouldn’t mind a soft reboot when Bond #7 is cast. An actor in their early thirties. Maybe a Bond at the beginning of his career. Give EON plenty of options, especially where the actors age is concerned.
    No idea what up coming actors would be on that list at the moment.
    If the process is not to many years down the track, then Turner would still have a shot. He has a youthful look. Depends on what and when Bond 26 holds.

Yeah, too be honest if they are gonna be massive years apart for films, it is better to have a soft reboot every time they switch the actor. I mean just thinking of Craig his tenure will be near 20 years by the time we get the next bond cast
    Yeah, I think he will act and the look the part much better in another couple years. He definitely is a bit young looking and slim at the moment, but as middle age comes he'll fit the role like a glove. I think he is a perfect candidate to take things back to how we traditionally think of as Bond, ie. Tall, dark and handsome, charming but with a edge, and a sense of humour.
    I don´t think Turner´s too Young or too slim. If doen Right, he could do a great Bond film as he is now possibly.

boldfinger wrote: »
    He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    I notice that my stance on Turner has changed for the better ;-). Interesting.

I reckon he has given that impression as he mostly starred in TV productions and not really in films made for the cinema. The guy has been tied down in whichever series he starred in, as the main protagonist mind you. In this day and age TV is no longer a dirty word, especially since Netflix/HBO have been around. A-list actors make cross overs to TV and vice versa, so that point is moot imo. Also, have seen you 'And then there were none' yet? A cinematic performance right there, also because the production itself doesn't really come over as 'TV'. TV actors to me sounds like flat, lesser equipped actors than the higher tier ones seen in film. I reckon most people in here are of the opinion Turner certainly isn't '2D', rather a strong potential for the next Bond and Bond does need some '3D acting'.
    TV Actor is Not a term of judgement of quality. There´s a difference between tv acting and Cinema acting, just as there is a difference between stage acting and film acting. None of These is better than the other, they just have different purposes.

[.

He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    I notice that my stance on Turner has changed for the better ;-). Interesting.

I reckon he has given that impression as he mostly starred in TV productions and not really in films made for the cinema. The guy has been tied down in whichever series he starred in, as the main protagonist mind you. In this day and age TV is no longer a dirty word, especially since Netflix/HBO have been around. A-list actors make cross overs to TV and vice versa, so that point is moot imo. Also, have seen you 'And then there were none' yet? A cinematic performance right there, also because the production itself doesn't really come over as 'TV'. TV actors to me sounds like flat, lesser equipped actors than the higher tier ones seen in film. I reckon most people in here are of the opinion Turner certainly isn't '2D', rather a strong potential for the next Bond and Bond does need some '3D acting'.
    TV Actor is Not a term of judgement of quality. There´s a difference between tv acting and Cinema acting, just as there is a difference between stage acting and film acting. None of These is better than the other, they just have different purposes.

You should become a politician with that reasoning ;)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    So Gen Y isn't manly enough, but is supposed to deliver a new Bond? Interesting situation. To my mind Turner is a prototype gen Y, but that's probably just me.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    So Gen Y isn't manly enough, but is supposed to deliver a new Bond? Interesting situation. To my mind Turner is a prototype gen Y, but that's probably just me.

Probably best to skip a generation before rebooting.
    Turner not manly enough? Ha. Sure.

I think that's one of the positives about Turner. He doesn't look like a 20-year-old in a 35-year-old body. A lot of names mentioned don't even look their age (in a negative point of view).

Look at the actors mentioned on social media: that guy from 50 shades, that other from King Arthur, etc. They either need a beard to look older, or have countertenor voice, or something else. Look wise I think Turner is fine... Sometimes. Not certain I like his voice, but he's far from the worst mentioned. And that's the problem with the whole pool at the moment: the best are not as bad as the others.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself

I think that's one of the positives about Turner. He doesn't look like a 20-year-old in a 35-year-old body. A lot of names mentioned don't even look their age (in a negative point of view).

He looks like a 35 year old man in a 20 year olds body
    To my mind Turner is a prototype gen Y, but that's probably just me.

Yep, that's probably just you. Seriously now, you must be joking. Why do you think of him as a typical millennial? Not manly enough? Really? Have you seen him in anything?
    personally I would prefer Liam Neeeson over Aidan Turner.

Turner just doesn’t appeal to me for Bond he has an Adrian Paul vibe about him I can’t shake personally I would prefer him to lead the Highlander reboot then be 007.

My current choices

1. Michael Fassbender: he will be forever number 1 for me because the man just looks like Bond hell I would take him for only one film and be happy

2. Henry Cavill: to be honest I am shocked he is number 2 for me but of all my choices he’s the one that seems to have the most supporters so for crowd control yeah I am going with him

2. Tom Hardy: and before everyone says he is to much a thug you know Ian Fleming said the same thing about Sean Connery and boy was he wrong so relax a bit ok Hardy could prove everyone wrong

3. Chris Hemsworth: I honestly feel this guy would be a great bond the new MIB trailer has me interested in him as 007

4. Tom Hiddleston: I still say the night manager was good and convinced me of what he could do

5. Luke Evans: I honestly loved him enough in that Edgar Allen Poe thing the name of which escapes me and feel he would be fine as 007

6. Christian Bale yeah I realize at most we would get him for two films but I am fine with that

7. Cillain Murphy: after seeing him in Batman begins and a few clips from Red she I am more then convinced he would be an interesting choice and can do something unique with the part.

8. Gwendolyn Lee: a new name added to the list for sure but his turn as Brian May in this years Queen biopic really interested me more so then anyone else and I think he could do 007 proud
    Risico007 wrote: »
    8. Gwendolyn Lee: a new name added to the list for sure but his turn as Brian May in this years Queen biopic really interested me more so then anyone else and I think he could do 007 proud

I certainly hope Gwilym Lee isn't transitioning, as it would be a damn shame ...

• talos7talos7 New Orleans

I certainly hope Gwilym Lee isn't transitioning, as it would be a damn shame ...

:D
    Risico007 wrote: »
    5. Luke Evans: I honestly loved him enough in that Edgar Allen Poe thing the name of which escapes me and feel he would be fine as 007

It's a shame he's probably too old for the part now, as I have no doubt he'd be a great Bond. He has the right voice too:

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah it's a shame Evans is too old, he'd make a great Bond.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 15,850
    Luke Evans is far too old.

Same with every actor on this thread. We really should be looking at actors born around 2010 or so. By the time they reach 35, that's when Eon should be beginning to consider developing new Bond movie after B25.

I still maintain the strong opinion that we're in for a LOOOOOOOOOONG wait after this next film.