Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

I personally feel like after Craig is gone, there will be a huge hunger for a more light hearted take on Bond again. It will be 20 years since Brosnan by that point, after all. We cannot stay in serious territory forever and I think where cinema is at the moment there is room for some old school charm and fun.

Yes, one hopes so.

Or, as an alternative, a completely faithful adaptation of the books (what? One can dream).
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Unfortunately, faithful adaptations of the books will never happen in this day and age.

The closest to a "period-piece" faithful adaptation we'll get is something like the piss-poor quality of alterations like Agatha Christie's books are done as of late. We don't want that, do we?
    Unfortunately, faithful adaptations of the books will never happen in this day and age.

The closest to a "period-piece" faithful adaptation we'll get is something like the piss-poor quality of alterations like Agatha Christie's books are done as of late. We don't want that, do we?

Nooo, we don't, Sir. Nothing like the Granada times. Those were the days.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 10,588
    I like Cavill a lot, but he seems far too wooden to play a three-dimensional Bond. He's yet to seriously impress me in any role in terms of acting ability.

With regards to Turner, I find him far too similar to Brosnan. And that's coming from a Brosnan fan.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    And I see Turner being closer to Dalton.
    Assessing potential Bonds is like a Rorschach test. Lol
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Cavill probably has sufficient range for Bond. He could certainly play in an SP type Bond film with some considerable ease.

I agree on the viewpoint that a Bond actor requires a little edginess or darkness. Moore did have that. It wasn't in his overall look, but he could turn it on with ease when he wanted to and there are numerous examples I could cite. Brosnan less so, but he had it in his look. I'm not sure Hemsworth has that, although I think he's a decent actor within his range of comfort, which is in more lighter based fare. He wasn't impressive during the dramatic moments as Thor imho.

I'm keeping an open mind on Turner. He has a suitable look but as I've noted previously, I've not seen him in enough to formulate an accurate judgment. I agree that he has the best chance of getting it out of these three since he's not as well known.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    I gotta say Turner is starting to grow on me. :O
    Univex wrote: »
    Yep, quite right my friend. A very difficult job. Although I'd love to have it. It's History in the making, or more to the case, the making of History. Cinema and cultural History. What fun must they have. What pressure. Fantastic.

Yeah, casting the next James Bond must certainly be both stressful and enjoyable!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    I sense a general "coming around" to the idea of Turner as Bond around here lately. Its good to see!
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 14,888
    If they had to recast tomorrow then Turner would probably be the best option. However come time to cast for Bond 26 ( assuming Craig doesn’t come back- it’s happened before) maybe we’ll have a few more choicesf or upcoming candidates.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,308
    I sense a general "coming around" to the idea of Turner as Bond around here lately. Its good to see!

Some of us haven't been negative to the idea of Turner at all. He's been on my top three list since ATTWN. Luke Evans is still my preferred choice, but given his age, that won't happen now unfortunately.

In an ideal word (IMO) it would have been Hugh Jackman playing the part post-Brosnan with Luke Evans being cast around 2012.
    Cavill is certainly no Laurence Olivier, but he's nowhere near as bad as you people are making it out to be.

That's the thing though, he's worse.
    M_Blaise wrote: »
    Cavill is certainly no Laurence Olivier, but he's nowhere near as bad as you people are making it out to be.
    That's the thing though, he's worse.
    Whatever you say.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 9,779
    Benny wrote: »
    I gotta say Turner is starting to grow on me. :O
    There are pills that can help with that

Another point though I know Liam Neeson is in his 60’s but he can still pass for 48 so come on just one bond film with him please
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    talos7 wrote: »

True. Same for me, and the main reason I do find him suitable. He reminds me of Dalton. But then again, I have seen the Poldark series, and I think he's more than just a decent actor. Not wooden at all, and with a wide range of acting masks so to speak. I'm a big Brosnan fan, but Turner is the superior actor by a long margin.

1) He's got the looks and the intensity (not just a pretty boy model lookalike like Brozza);
    2) He's got the voice. Not that Irish americanised stuff you'd get from Brozza;
    3) He can be cruel, he can be romantically sweet;
    4) He's got a commanding presence, or he wouldn't have been suited for the Captain Poldark character, who is a natural born leader of men;
    5) He has a way with the ladies, as Bond should;
    6) He's not an A lister;
    7) He could commit to the role for a long time;
    8) He's a mixture of Connery, Dalton and, ok, Brosnan a bit (but who wouldn't want that for the role?)
    9) He's polite and funny as an interviewee, and defends his roles to the max;
    10) Do watch the Agatha Christie And then there were none tv series - best Bond audition probably ever. Way better than, say, Remington Steele, Layer Cake,... And I know Poldark is a bit of a sopa operetta, but do watch it to get a sense of his acting range and, particularly, his voice (as in the Christie show he had his Irish natural speaking voice).

As an exemple:
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    VERY Dalton in that clip.
    Pretty dramatic stuff there. This will be right up Babs alley, I'd surmise.

I'm sure he's on their list, although I'm not sure at what rank.
    Brosnan wouldn't pull that off. See Evelyn for some cringeworthy attempts. And, again, I'm a Brosnan fan. But perfectly aware of his limitations.
    Brosnan wouldn't pull that off. See Evelyn for some cringeworthy attempts. And, again, I'm a Brosnan fan. But perfectly aware of his limitations.
    I agree. That was a good clip. Very convincing, and he had me as engrossed as his court audience.
    I believe he did meet with EON according to Poldark producers. That was a few years ago, so presumably he is on their radar at the very least.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,318

True. Same for me, and the main reason I do find him suitable. He reminds me of Dalton. But then again, I have seen the Poldark series, and I think he's more than just a decent actor. Not wooden at all, and with a wide range of acting masks so to speak. I'm a big Brosnan fan, but Turner is the superior actor by a long margin.

1) He's got the looks and the intensity (not just a pretty boy model lookalike like Brozza);
    4) He's got a commanding presence, or he wouldn't have been suited for the Captain Poldark character, who is a natural born leader of men;
    6) He's not an A lister;
    8) He's a mixture of Connery, Dalton and, ok, Brosnan a bit (but who wouldn't want that for the role?)
    10) Do watch the Agatha Christie And then there were none tv series - best Bond audition probably ever. Way better than, say, Remington Steele, Layer Cake,... And I know Poldark is a bit of a sopa operetta, but do watch it to get a sense of his acting range and, particularly, his voice (as in the Christie show he had his Irish natural speaking voice).

As an exemple:

Excellent post, could have written it myself ;) All I can say is preach and amen. Babs, if you're reading all of this and lurking in the shadows and all that, just give Turner the job. The man is probably Dalton's lost son anyway. The 007 DNA oozes from his pores. How much more proof do we need.

2A86721E00000578-3161006-image-a-203_1436889130649.jpg
    He does look rather good up there.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Looks like Bond in Dr. No, the book I mean.

GIVE THAT MAN THE JOB! in 5 years time. Guy's my age now.

When I was growing up, I did like Brosnan as Bond, mainly because I identified myself with him physically - yes, even the GE hair. And as I had read all the books twice, I identified with the character as well - physically speaking, that is, and in some regards, not all. The dark type, the suave type. So I'm tired of the brutish bouncer blonde battering ram type we've got for the last 13 years. So sue me if I want to go back to a phenotype which I can relate to. That was one of the reasons I chose Bond as my hero when I was a kid.

So I'm a Turner supporter. And if they go and choose Hemsworth, Hardy, Cavill, ..., or whomever fits that macho ape bruiser muscle inflated half monk half killer wall breaking wondering idiot Ivan Draco lookalike, I'll stop my fandom. Enough is enough. As a writer, I defend the writer's creation, not the pc idiocy or the blonde police. I do like Craig, but he's over inflated as an actor, IMO. Not the thespian everyone says he is. And if they pulled a Boyle on Craig, and had him replaced with Turner immediately, for an original, non continated script, I wouldn't loose any sleep over it. In fact, I'd welcome it.

There, said it, off my chest at last.

6) He's not an A lister;

As an exemple:
    He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    I notice that my stance on Turner has changed for the better ;-). Interesting.

edited December 2018 Posts: 8,127
    Yeah, I think he will act and the look the part much better in another couple years. He definitely is a bit young looking and slim at the moment, but as middle age comes he'll fit the role like a glove. I think he is a perfect candidate to take things back to how we traditionally think of as Bond, ie. Tall, dark and handsome, charming but with a edge, and a sense of humour.
    boldfinger wrote: »

With Mr. Burns voice: Excellent...
    Tall, dark and handsome, charming but with a edge, and a sense of humour.

Yes, can we please return to that?

6) He's not an A lister;

As an exemple:
    He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    It's coincidental that you should mention the tv thing, given many have compared him with Dalton. Arguably he too wasn't quite a cinematic draw, although he's been quite successful in tv and theatre.

Regarding tailoring of a film to the actor's strengths: I'd argue that this is precisely what EON have been doing with Craig, until SP at least.

The films must follow the actor's strengths, and I think they will cast going forward based on what kind of films they want to make. I also think there will be a variation, in order to distinguish and differentiate the future entries from the departing Craig era.
    Doesn't help that he's only done tv (Turner, I mean). We have no way to say he's fine in the big screen. But then again, people like Clooney, Dempsey, and others jumped from there to the larger venues easily.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,318

I reckon he has given that impression as he mostly starred in TV productions and not really in films made for the cinema. The guy has been tied down in whichever series he starred in, as the main protagonist mind you. In this day and age TV is no longer a dirty word, especially since Netflix/HBO have been around. A-list actors make cross overs to TV and vice versa, so that point is moot imo. Also, have seen you 'And then there were none' yet? A cinematic performance right there, also because the production itself doesn't really come over as 'TV'. TV actors to me sounds like flat, lesser equipped actors than the higher tier ones seen in film. I reckon most people in here are of the opinion Turner certainly isn't '2D', rather a strong potential for the next Bond and Bond does need some '3D acting'.
    Doesn't help that he's only done tv (Turner, I mean). We have no way to say he's fine in the big screen. But then again, people like Clooney, Dempsey, and others jumped from there to the larger venues easily.

He has done the Hobbit films by Peter Jackson and quite well actually

original.gif