Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    Ludovico wrote: »
    So Gen Y isn't manly enough, but is supposed to deliver a new Bond? Interesting situation. To my mind Turner is a prototype gen Y, but that's probably just me.

Look at the actors mentioned on social media: that guy from 50 shades, that other from King Arthur, etc. They either need a beard to look older, or have countertenor voice, or something else. Look wise I think Turner is fine... Sometimes. Not certain I like his voice, but he's far from the worst mentioned. And that's the problem with the whole pool at the moment: the best are not as bad as the others.

Oh I'm absolutely not impressed by the current flock of actors in the right age bracket. And Turner may be one of the better options, but that doesn't make him fit for the role. He's never impressed me in any of his work. He's not a bad actor, mind you, but not that good either and other then tick-the-boxes looks he doesn't have the radiation of Bond, something Craig has without looking like Bond. Above all Turner's acting reminds me of Brosnans, and to me that doesn't really work for Bond. I find Brosnan far better in The Taylor of Panama or The Thomas Crown Affair then Bond (even though he's my 'cinema-first Bond').

I just hope they'll find someone who looks like he belongs on the edge, instead of trying to act it.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    So Gen Y isn't manly enough, but is supposed to deliver a new Bond? Interesting situation. To my mind Turner is a prototype gen Y, but that's probably just me.

Look at the actors mentioned on social media: that guy from 50 shades, that other from King Arthur, etc. They either need a beard to look older, or have countertenor voice, or something else. Look wise I think Turner is fine... Sometimes. Not certain I like his voice, but he's far from the worst mentioned. And that's the problem with the whole pool at the moment: the best are not as bad as the others.

Oh I'm absolutely not impressed by the current flock of actors in the right age bracket. And Turner may be one of the better options, but that doesn't make him fit for the role. He's never impressed me in any of his work. He's not a bad actor, mind you, but not that good either and other then tick-the-boxes looks he doesn't have the radiation of Bond, something Craig has without looking like Bond. Above all Turner's acting reminds me of Brosnans, and to me that doesn't really work for Bond. I find Brosnan far better in The Taylor of Panama or The Thomas Crown Affair then Bond (even though he's my 'cinema-first Bond').

I just hope they'll find someone who looks like he belongs on the edge, instead of trying to act it.

Of course all of that is your personal opinion. Myself and many others here are at the polar opposite of your stance, regarding Turner and his acting abilities. Craig for example radiates only one thing and possibly one other: Russian spy brute and bouncer at a night club. However he's a good actor, like Turner, so he does resemble Bond, through his acting.

Of course all of that is your personal opinion. Myself and many others here are at the polar opposite of your stance, regarding Turner and his acting abilities. Craig for example radiates only one thing and possibly one other: Russian spy brute and bouncer at a night club. However he's a good actor, like Turner, so he does resemble Bond, through his acting.

+1, @JeremyBondon.
    boldfinger wrote: »
    [.

He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    I notice that my stance on Turner has changed for the better ;-). Interesting.

I reckon he has given that impression as he mostly starred in TV productions and not really in films made for the cinema. The guy has been tied down in whichever series he starred in, as the main protagonist mind you. In this day and age TV is no longer a dirty word, especially since Netflix/HBO have been around. A-list actors make cross overs to TV and vice versa, so that point is moot imo. Also, have seen you 'And then there were none' yet? A cinematic performance right there, also because the production itself doesn't really come over as 'TV'. TV actors to me sounds like flat, lesser equipped actors than the higher tier ones seen in film. I reckon most people in here are of the opinion Turner certainly isn't '2D', rather a strong potential for the next Bond and Bond does need some '3D acting'.
    TV Actor is Not a term of judgement of quality. There´s a difference between tv acting and Cinema acting, just as there is a difference between stage acting and film acting. None of These is better than the other, they just have different purposes.

You should become a politician with that reasoning ;)
    Thanks. Not sure if that is a good or bad Thing, haha :-)).

• JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    [.

He´s intense, no doubt About that. So far all I´ve seen from him Looks very tv to me and not cinema, but I would give him a Chance, as Long as the Producers know About his strengths, and don´t try to make him into something he is not. I think he is for cinematicality (sorry if I´m inventing words) what Hiddleston is for Alpha Male-dom. I think with both it could work very nicely if the films are built around their respective strengths.
    I notice that my stance on Turner has changed for the better ;-). Interesting.

I reckon he has given that impression as he mostly starred in TV productions and not really in films made for the cinema. The guy has been tied down in whichever series he starred in, as the main protagonist mind you. In this day and age TV is no longer a dirty word, especially since Netflix/HBO have been around. A-list actors make cross overs to TV and vice versa, so that point is moot imo. Also, have seen you 'And then there were none' yet? A cinematic performance right there, also because the production itself doesn't really come over as 'TV'. TV actors to me sounds like flat, lesser equipped actors than the higher tier ones seen in film. I reckon most people in here are of the opinion Turner certainly isn't '2D', rather a strong potential for the next Bond and Bond does need some '3D acting'.
    TV Actor is Not a term of judgement of quality. There´s a difference between tv acting and Cinema acting, just as there is a difference between stage acting and film acting. None of These is better than the other, they just have different purposes.

You should become a politician with that reasoning ;)
    Thanks. Not sure if that is a good or bad Thing, haha :-)).

Good actually, clever too :)
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,996

I'll quote what's beeing said in the 'controversial opinions' threat:
    Not sure how controversial this is, but I find that CR seems to be the Bond movie that breaks with the most success the gender divide. My wife likes no other Bond movie. None, however hard I tried. But she told me yesterday that CR is one of the best movies she ever saw. And one of her favourite. And I've seen a similar reactions from other women.

Same with my wife. Whenever I put one of the old movies on she doesn't really want to know. But she loved CR and did get into the Craig era because of it. She didn't really like SP but I'm sure she'll still come to see Bond 25 with me the day it's released (having said that I think she knows really that she doesn't have any choice given how tragic I am when it comes to Bond and the amount of crap I've sat through with her xD ). Probably no coincidence that two of the few girls on here are fans solely because of Craig as well. I think he's definitely the Bond that appeals most to women.

I think the reason for that is Craigs' presence. Sadly I don't see that with Turner, but again I don't see that with any of the names mentioned here. I guess it's not easy getting some life experience in the current world.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    If Turner get the part, and Bond 26 gets a Nov 2022 slot, he will more or less the same age as Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The next era starting a little over two years after Craig's last? That's some wild optimism you've got there. I don't see that date panning out at all, but who knows.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    If Turner get the part, and Bond 26 gets a Nov 2022 slot, he will more or less the same age as Harrison Ford in Raiders of the Lost Ark.

The next era starting a little over two years after Craig's last? That's some wild optimism you've got there. I don't see that date panning out at all, but who knows.

With vision, there would be a plan in development as we speak. Who knows, maybe there is, although it’s not EON’s MO.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I think it would be really wise to plan an entire timeline before going all banco on it.

Otherwise, poorly done retcons will hurt their respective predecessors. QoS and SP are products of it, even though I love them both than I like their preceding entries.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    A plan is especially important if they continue to foolishly pursue a continuity driven arc for the next man. If they put that idiotic idea to bed finally with this iteration then they don't really require a plan, because they can vary tone, concept and idea as they go along, which is what they did so successfully for 40 years previously, thereby ensuring the flexibility, consistency and regularity of the series.
    A 5 film arc could be done that contains both a continuous thread and allows a standalone or two.
    bondjames wrote: »
    A plan is especially important if they continue to foolishly pursue a continuity driven arc for the next man. If they put that idiotic idea to bed finally with this iteration then they don't really require a plan, because they can vary tone, concept and idea as they go along, which is what they did so successfully for 40 years previously, thereby ensuring the flexibility, consistency and regularity of the series.

Exactly. And I think they know that and they're just capitalising in something that worked (in the opinion of a restricted few) with Craig, and Craig alone. I do hope they're smart enough not to permanently kill their golden goose or chicken, or whomever lays their golden eggs once every three or four years.
    As far as age, even if an actor is cast at 40, a film every three years equals Five films in twelve years, perfect.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Let s be thankful that we will get at least one Bond film the next decade.
    Univex wrote: »

Exactly. And I think they know that and they're just capitalising in something that worked (in the opinion of a restricted few) with Craig, and Craig alone. I do hope they're smart enough not to permanently kill their golden goose or chicken, or whomever lays their golden eggs once every three or four years.
    Indeed, and therein lies the risk with the current course of action, which they appear to be continuing for one more film after a five year break.

I think many of us have concerns with this, because practically speaking it will be difficult to reset again without another long break and the associated risks that brings. They had the opportunity to do it perfectly this time, but they kicked the can down the road for some reason, which suggests to me that something is possibly at play here at a corporate level.
    Now I realize that there are significant differences but look at how Marvel does it with numerous featured characters; when they were in Phase 1 they were planning Phase 2 . When in 2 planning 3 , in 3 , thinking 4 .
    A vision for the long game is needed.
    talos7 wrote: »
    Now I realize that there are significant differences but look at how Marvel does it with numerous featured characters; when they were in Phase 1 they were planning Phase 2 . When in 2 planning 3 , in 3 , thinking 4 .
    I don't have a problem with planning ahead conceptually, but one needs leadership that thinks that way. It can't be imposed imho. It must come from within. The Marvel plan is executed to perfection due to the vision and commitment of Kevin Feige. I don't think they could have pulled it off without him.
    I don't have a problem with planning ahead conceptually, but one needs leadership that thinks that way. It can't be imposed imho. It must come from within. The Marvel plan is executed to perfection due to the vision and commitment of Kevin Feige. I don't think they could have pulled it off without him.
    o

Exactly

But surely they had a sort of lose arc and a good deal of continuity in the 60s. SPECTRE was a recurring adversary from one movie to the next, save GF.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    And, like Marvel has a wealth of source material to lean on, the early films had Fleming. The Modern era doesn't have that luxury, or at least not the quantity as they once had.
    peter wrote: »
    And, like Marvel has a wealth of source material to lean on, the early films had Fleming. The Modern era doesn't have that luxury, or at least not the quantity as they once had.

True. But there is still a fair deal of unused material and the reboot provided with a few opportunities of reusing at least some elements of the source material without going into remake territory.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I agree with you @Ludovico. I'm just pointing out that at one time there was untouched Fleming material available, and in abundance-- just as Marvel has today (an abundance of source material).

Nowadays, Eon has to return to these same books that were written in the 50s and 60s, over and over and dig for inspiration (which is fine by me, since, as Cubby told his successors, when in doubt, return to Fleming; I'm just saying that it's not as readily available as it was in the 60s, or what Marvel has with all their comics. In fact, Marvel will never have this issue at all, will they).

But surely they had a sort of lose arc and a good deal of continuity in the 60s. SPECTRE was a recurring adversary from one movie to the next, save GF.
    They had 'loose' continuity. That's the key in my humble opinion. Cubby and Harry didn't use a Marvel model at all. It is Marvel who is using a traditional EON model but tweaked with direct continuity referencing the comics. That isn't what EON did in the past, and I argue that the lack of direct continuity 'arc' permitted all sorts of variations in tone and approach, and facilitated actor changes as well. It was a very unique industry model and in my opinion was a large component of why this is the longest running successful film series in history. It permitted strategic flexibility (the long game, as it were).
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 3,333
    After abstaining from this thread for a little while now, I'm glad to see @Univex has dragged it back on track with his impeccable choice of Aidan Turner along with his defence and reasons behind his choice. There's always going to be distractors. After all, Craig was hardly a popular choice when his name was first announced and still generates disparaging remarks in some quarters. Sure, Turner will be older when B26 finally goes before the cameras, but as @Creasy47 pointed out, Turner has a certain youthfulness and vitality that belies his age. No offence to @Risico007 but when you state you'd rather have Liam Neeson over Aidan Turner, you're clearly not taking into consideration Neeson's age or the fact that he's already turned down the role in the past. Even if we overlook the fact that Neeson will most likely be 70 years old by the time B26 rolls, why in jumping Jupiter would he suddenly decide to take on the role after tuning it down? Besides, Neeson is more suited to the role of M. Or were you simply just showing your disdain for Turner by suggesting an elderly Neeson as your own preference? If so, that's rather like me saying I'd rather see Rupert Everett as Bond than Tom Hiddleston. Of course I wouldn't stoop so low.
    peter wrote: »
    I agree with you @Ludovico. I'm just pointing out that at one time there was untouched Fleming material available, and in abundance-- just as Marvel has today (an abundance of source material).

Nowadays, Eon has to return to these same books that were written in the 50s and 60s, over and over and dig for inspiration (which is fine by me, since, as Cubby told his successors, when in doubt, return to Fleming; I'm just saying that it's not as readily available as it was in the 60s, or what Marvel has with all their comics. In fact, Marvel will never have this issue at all, will they).

No Marvel has plenty of choice. In fact what Marvel must do is NOT touch some of the material (the clone saga, most of Ultimates, etc.).
    bondsum wrote: »
    After abstaining from this thread for a little while now, I'm glad to see @Univex has dragged it back on track with his impeccable choice of Aidan Turner along with his defence and reasons behind his choice.

Many thanks, old friend. Will do so for as long as it takes to get some reasoning into the alienated minds that now see James Bond as a hammer instead of a scalpel.
    When launching the next incarnation of Bond, Ideally, the powers that be will have a plan that prevents just wandering from film to film in search of a story and direction. within the span of say 5 films, a basic framework would be Laid out that goes from point "A" to point "E" . This could be done in broad strokes which would leave flexibility for individual films.
    I'm fine with broad strokes as far as continuity goes. Like they did it in the 60s with Connery.
    I agree. Keep it broad so one doesn't box oneself in and then have to extricate why a closure story next time.

bondsum wrote: »
    Sure, Turner will be older when B26 finally goes before the cameras, but as @Creasy47 pointed out, Turner has a certain youthfulness and vitality that belies his age.

Absolutely, he does, and if he takes care of himself, which he appears to do, he'll age well and is in a perfect position to portray Bond at his peak , a seasoned agent who's still at the top of his game.