Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Yes, forgot about them. Yes, quite well, I agree. He sure knows how to raise his eyebrow. Moore would aprove.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Univex wrote: »
    Doesn't help that he's only done tv (Turner, I mean). We have no way to say he's fine in the big screen. But then again, people like Clooney, Dempsey, and others jumped from there to the larger venues easily.
    Yes, forgot about them. Yes, quite well, I agree. He sure knows how to raise his eyebrow. Moore would aprove.

Haha! Even mo(o)re reason then. Hold on, let the man speak for himself:

"I do think [Poldark actor] Aidan Turner looks very good,” he told TalkRadio"

"The 'Live and Let Die' actor said: "I think Aidan would make a very good Bond."

Who are we, mere mortals, to go against him? Bless him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Justin Timberlake virtually went from the concert stage to the big screen, and there are many other examples . It’s a non issue.
    Is that true, @JeremyBondon? If so, I'm even more in favour.

Damn, wish they'd start afresh now with Turner and CJF for a solo, non continued, non personal mission, with the panache we all miss.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Is that true, @JeremyBondon? If so, I'm even more in favour.

Damn, wish they'd start afresh now with Turner and CJF for a solo, non continued, non personal mission, with the panache we all miss.

Quoted for truth. Your idea sounds amazing, if only... Crossing my fingers for CJF staying and AT as 007
    talos7 wrote: »
    Justin Timberlake virtually went from the concert stage to the big screen, and there are many other examples . It’s a non issue.

This.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Tall, dark and handsome, charming but with a edge, and a sense of humour.

Yes, can we please return to that?

I think Turner has all those qualities in spades. I think if he got the job, he would be able to put the ingredients together. I think Turner could portray the legend of James Bond, the cultural figure and not just the human being as Craig does. It just comes down to whether thats what they will want to portray with the next interpretation. I think its time that James Bond got his "armour" back on.

385126c3dadfde839f6861cbea1d9d16.jpg
    There's no question that if Turner were cast he'd at the very least, be into his early '40's. Perfectly fine by me. I do hope once new era begins Universal gets on Eon to get these films out every other year.

I've warmed to the idea of Cavill, but Turner would still be my top choice of the countless names mentioned these past several years............and that's just on the photos of him in AND THEN THERE WERE NONE alone.
    The above clip and monologue seals the deal for me.
    And I see Turner being closer to Dalton.
    Assessing potential Bonds is like a Rorschach test. Lol

True. Same for me, and the main reason I do find him suitable. He reminds me of Dalton. But then again, I have seen the Poldark series, and I think he's more than just a decent actor. Not wooden at all, and with a wide range of acting masks so to speak. I'm a big Brosnan fan, but Turner is the superior actor by a long margin.

1) He's got the looks and the intensity (not just a pretty boy model lookalike like Brozza);
    2) He's got the voice. Not that Irish americanised stuff you'd get from Brozza;
    3) He can be cruel, he can be romantically sweet;
    4) He's got a commanding presence, or he wouldn't have been suited for the Captain Poldark character, who is a natural born leader of men;
    5) He has a way with the ladies, as Bond should;
    6) He's not an A lister;
    7) He could commit to the role for a long time;
    8) He's a mixture of Connery, Dalton and, ok, Brosnan a bit (but who wouldn't want that for the role?)
    9) He's polite and funny as an interviewee, and defends his roles to the max;
    10) Do watch the Agatha Christie And then there were none tv series - best Bond audition probably ever. Way better than, say, Remington Steele, Layer Cake,... And I know Poldark is a bit of a sopa operetta, but do watch it to get a sense of his acting range and, particularly, his voice (as in the Christie show he had his Irish natural speaking voice).

As an exemple:

Excellent post, could have written it myself ;) All I can say is preach and amen. Babs, if you're reading all of this and lurking in the shadows and all that, just give Turner the job. The man is probably Dalton's lost son anyway. The 007 DNA oozes from his pores. How much more proof do we need.

2A86721E00000578-3161006-image-a-203_1436889130649.jpg

If Turner is our next Bond, they have to give him that haircut.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Turner was quite good as the mysterious Lombard in And Then There Were None. Just a damning shame it was an awful adaptation of the novel.

True. Same for me, and the main reason I do find him suitable. He reminds me of Dalton. But then again, I have seen the Poldark series, and I think he's more than just a decent actor. Not wooden at all, and with a wide range of acting masks so to speak. I'm a big Brosnan fan, but Turner is the superior actor by a long margin.

1) He's got the looks and the intensity (not just a pretty boy model lookalike like Brozza);
    4) He's got a commanding presence, or he wouldn't have been suited for the Captain Poldark character, who is a natural born leader of men;
    6) He's not an A lister;
    8) He's a mixture of Connery, Dalton and, ok, Brosnan a bit (but who wouldn't want that for the role?)
    10) Do watch the Agatha Christie And then there were none tv series - best Bond audition probably ever. Way better than, say, Remington Steele, Layer Cake,... And I know Poldark is a bit of a sopa operetta, but do watch it to get a sense of his acting range and, particularly, his voice (as in the Christie show he had his Irish natural speaking voice).

As an exemple:

Excellent post, could have written it myself ;) All I can say is preach and amen. Babs, if you're reading all of this and lurking in the shadows and all that, just give Turner the job. The man is probably Dalton's lost son anyway. The 007 DNA oozes from his pores. How much more proof do we need.

Agreed. My personal haircut choice as well.
    Turner was quite good as the mysterious Lombard in And Then There Were None. Just a damning shame it was an awful adaptation of the novel.

I agree on all accounts.

6) He's not an A lister;

As an exemple:

It's a damn good haircut for Bond. I think Craig should grow the top and get his cut like that before filming begins in March. He may just have enough time to pull that look off as well.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Turner would be fine now and preferably younger rather than older middle age JB. That’s the Roger Moore effect on people thinking he should be older. He shouldn’t. JB should be in his 30s.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    Turner would be fine now and preferably younger rather than older middle age JB. That’s the Roger Moore effect on people thinking he should be older. He shouldn’t. JB should be in his 30s.

Ideally 30s or 40s.

6) He's not an A lister;

As an exemple:

Agreed. My personal haircut choice as well.

He even has the comma above his right eyebrow. Doesn't get much more true to character than that!
    ToTheRight wrote: »

6) He's not an A lister;

As an exemple:

It's a damn good haircut for Bond. I think Craig should grow the top and get his cut like that before filming begins in March. He may just have enough time to pull that look off as well.

Craig hasn't had a decent haircut since QoS. Even his TGWTDT haircut was better than the ones in SF and SP. He looks better with a bit longer hair; younger even!
    He even has the comma above his right eyebrow. Doesn't get much more true to character than that!
    And he could keep his Poldark scar. Only repositioned lower on the face.
    Bm9nVu9CYAAC6K2.jpg
    And he could keep his Poldark scar. Only repositioned lower on the face.
    Bm9nVu9CYAAC6K2.jpg

Hah! Good point :-)
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Can't, for the life of me, understand why there hasn't been one, not even one, version of Bond with his scar. Even that Potter kid had his scar. But Bond? No, he has to be blonde and muscular and... Gone is the book Bond, forever confined to the page.
    Grell_Bond.jpg
    Aidan-Turner.jpg
    Just cut his hair right and give him a suit and a cigarette and we have our literary Bond. Minus the blue eyes, I suppose. But very, very close. Isn't he?
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Can't, for the life of me, understand why there hasn't been one, not even one, version of Bond with his scar. Even that Potter kid had his scar. But Bond? No, he has to be blonde and muscular and... Gone is the book Bond, forever confined to the page.
    Grell_Bond.jpg
    Aidan-Turner.jpg
    Just cut his hair right and give him a suit and a cigarette and we have our literary Bond. Minus the blue eyes, I suppose. But very, very close. Isn't he?

Wow, the resemblance is striking! Good catch.
    It's a bloody absolute match that's what it is!
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    edited December 2018 Posts: 7,988
    I think the title of this thread should be transformed to 'Aidan Turner fanclub'. I can understand the appeal, sort of. But repeating the same thing over and over again doesn't make him Bond. Are there no other candidates to consider?
    Actually, and for the longest time, fans were not that pulled into the Turner sphere. It's the first time I see this much support.

And there has always been favourites through the years. Sometimes they chime with the producers (Brosnan), sometimes they don't (Jackman, Owen,...).

Imagine if the forum was active in 1992, or 1993. Who would be the one filling pages at a thread like this one? Pierce, of course, even if he had some detractors, he was a favourite.

So, it's all normal.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    It's about time a hairy chest made a comeback anyway. Perhaps Bond (with Turner) can restart a trend.
    bondjames wrote: »
    It's about time a hairy chest made a comeback anyway. Perhaps Bond (with Turner) can restart a trend.

lol. Didn't notice that until you mentioned it, but yeah, an anti-Y-gen male actor, for a change.

The seduction scenes might become…different…

giphy.gif
    Well, retro is in. I suppose the shaved chest metrosexual thing will have finally its end. Always found it ridiculous. But then again, most things that relate to the said modern man are ridiculous and emasculating.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Speaking of hair, I came across this article in the FT of all places that was quite an interesting read.

https://www.ft.com/content/942edb1a-850f-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

I have a Gen Y client who spends a lot of time in the gym daily and took great lengths to explain to me why he chose the brand of hand cream he applies. I found it a bit disturbing.

EDIT: I don't think the link works, so here's the text:
    --

"Never trust a man with good hair

The time has come for a serious discussion of Tom Cruise’s hair. It storms into cinemas again in a week or two, starring in Mission: Impossible — Fallout. In this context, the film’s title is of course ironic. No fewer than 35 years have passed since those thick, dark, lustrous locks came sliding across the living room in Risky Business, and not a single strand has gone missing in the interim. If there has been any change to his hair at all, it is beyond me to find it.

Something unusual is happening here. Unusual is not quite the right word; “sinister” may be better. Because — as we all know in our guts — a really excellent head of hair on a man is a reliable indicator of moral turpitude.

Consider a few examples. American readers will remember, for example, the politicians John Edwards and Rod Blagojevich. Edwards is a one-time senator, candidate for president and vice-president, and life-support system for a fine head of hair. On the campaign trail, it came out that he was dropping $400 a trim on a Beverly Hills stylist. The public, rightly, smelled trouble. Blagojevich is a former governor of Illinois who was so concerned with caring for his thick locks that he insisted on an aide having a hairbrush close at hand at all times. He referred to the brush as “the football”, an allusion to the US president’s missile launch codes, or “nuclear football”.

Edwards fathered a child with his mistress while his wife was battling cancer. Blagojevich was convicted of soliciting kickbacks. His hair remains in jail, along with the rest of him.

I don’t mean to exaggerate. Not every man with good hair is a creep. Justin Trudeau has nice hair, and he seems — seems — OK. But beautifully coiffed and cared-for hair is a warning, like a sudden silence from an upstairs room where children are playing.

My own bald head leaves me open to the charge of bias here. The point, however, is bigger than hair, which is just one aspect of a more general paradox. Men should aim to look good, but except under specific circumstances — Pride parades, garden parties and the years 1969-77, for example — they must not look too decorative or, more precisely, decorated. Failure to keep an inner peacock on a shortish leash reflects a dangerous weakness of character.

Nothing beats a lovely suit or a glowing complexion. The point is that men need to mete out their personal style with a certain parsimony. As such, the current trend towards masculine fussiness is a sign of collective decay, like social media addiction, or the Trump administration. In America, land of the firm handshake, no one now thinks twice about men heading off in groups for a mani-pedi. Websites and magazines discuss the power of pomades, facial exfoliators, beard trimmers, and the like. One recent headline: “Absolute must-haves for festival season grooming.” Yes: when today’s man goes to listen to rock and roll, camp out, and do drugs, he does not forget his detoxifying charcoal wipes or his little tub of hair-thickening paste.

And then there are the fields of carefully done hair on show among World Cup players — not least the slicked-backed locks of England’s Harry Kane. On Love Island, the only slightly demented projection of young Britain’s own fantasy life, bleached teeth and waxed chests are the rule.

The male grooming trend has clearly progressed pretty far, but it is hard to measure the exact extent of the rot, because the truth is not easy to make out through the haze of marketing. Behind every male grooming blog or article one can feel the marketing machinery of the beauty industry clanking into gear, aimed squarely at the under-penetrated half of market.

To insist that correct masculine style involves a bit of careful restraint might seem to imply that feminine style is, by contrast, intrinsically decorative and frivolous. But it does not. How men and women present themselves is always changing, for better or worse, and each change can only be viewed in contrast to what went before. To praise a tradition of male understatement need not constrain the way women present themselves. The only question for both genders is whether or not our choices express ourselves at our best.

Subtlety in male turnout is on the way out, and crass vanity is on the way in. We should worry about this, for the simple reason that there is a moral difference between a man who likes to look good and a show-off, and a society that can’t make out the difference is in trouble
    ."
    I have a Gen Y client who spends a lot of time in the gym daily and took great lengths to explain to me why he chose the brand of hand cream he applies. I found it a bit disturbing.

There's a new story angle there for Stephen King. That thing scares me more than Annie Wikes. Run, @bondjames, run!
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,308
    Speaking of hair, I came across this article in the FT of all places that was quite an interesting read.

https://www.ft.com/content/942edb1a-850f-11e8-96dd-fa565ec55929

Going very off-topic for this comment (sorry about that!)
    Being brand specific is disturbing, but I wouldn't call using hand cream so. I use hand cream, but not daily. Winters can get cold over here, and I like to have it available. Today it was -14°C outside while I was running some errands – and I couldn't use gloves. Now my hands look like someone's gone over them with sandpaper! :))

My girlfriend would slice and dice me Oddjob style if I'd shave my rather hairy chest and most likely pull this face:

a99b59638d1ebb36a26a458d92edba08.jpg