No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    She does look rather sensational in that picture above.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I’m sure Dicks everywhere approve of this idea.
    I’m sure Dicks everywhere approve of this idea.

Back on topic please, you trouble maker. :)
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Think Shatterhand would be fine with me. When I think of the fuss over Quantum of Solace as a title!! (Or Question of Sport as Mark Kermode calls it)
    When I was queuing for my ticket for QoS, most people were just saying "Bond movie please!"

That is what people usually do when it comes to franchise films.
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Think Shatterhand would be fine with me. When I think of the fuss over Quantum of Solace as a title!! (Or Question of Sport as Mark Kermode calls it)
    When I was queuing for my ticket for QoS, most people were just saying "Bond movie please!"

That is what people usually do when it comes to franchise films.

I only noticed it with QoS. People had no problem saying SKYFALL, Spectre etc.
    I find no difficulty in saying Quantum of Solace. And I´m German.

Re the female protege rumor, I find it difficult to imagine anything not resembling a Father-daughter relationship, with some incestuous thoughts mixed in, since Bond for sure will feel like a man next to her. It feels again like a distraction from the Absence of a terrific villain plot.
    But I may very well just have a blunt Imagination.
    "Working on the script" doesn't mean they're finishing it up, could literally mean polishing up some dialogue.

It's impossible to "literally" polish dialogue. How would that work exactly? They break out a can of polish and rub it on the script?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    jake24 wrote: »
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    Is Ronmilione on Instagram reputable or is he a troll? He just posted an image of a Land Rover defender claiming Bond 25 will he utilizing a stretched, 6X6 version of the truck.
    I've been wondering that myself for a while. He's seemingly a nobody in the industry who's IMDB credits include a slew of UFO shows from 2008. Strangely, he's now credited as 'special effects technician' on B25. He may have added himself via IMDB Pro, or he's actually part of the special effects team.

Does anyone remember this rumour from last summer?http://www.carbuzz.com/news/2017/8/21/The-Dartz-Black-Alligator-Will-Be-The-Next-James-Bond-Villain-s-Badass-Ride-7740698/
    Just thought they may be related as we have likely returned to the P&W treatment for Bond25.

I question this persons legitimacy as if I remember correctly he posted a while back about a new Aston being developed for B25 but used a picture of a Miata
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Is Ronmilione on Instagram reputable or is he a troll? He just posted an image of a Land Rover defender claiming Bond 25 will he utilizing a stretched, 6X6 version of the truck.

He's been posting B25 "updates" across all of his social channels since last year:

The_Reaper wrote: »
    "Working on the script" doesn't mean they're finishing it up, could literally mean polishing up some dialogue.

It's impossible to "literally" polish dialogue. How would that work exactly? They break out a can of polish and rub it on the script?

The truth is there's never really just a dialogue polish because action and words go hand in hand in screenplays, so inevitably, changing or sharpening up dialogue often requires or introduces some change to stage directions or the shape of a scene, and that can also have a knock on effect with following scenes etc.. The term generally used is a set of revisions, and revisions can continue all the way through production, sometimes right up to the very last day of filming.
  • RC7RC7
    ColonelSun wrote: »

The truth is there's never really just a dialogue polish because action and words go hand in hand in screenplays, so inevitably, changing or sharpening up dialogue often requires or introduces some change to stage directions or the shape of a scene, and that can also have a knock on effect with following scenes etc.. The term generally used is a set of revisions, and revisions can continue all the way through production, sometimes right up to the very last day of filming.

Wonder how many people will read this (again) and immediately dismiss it because it undermines the black and white argument that is the lifeblood of this thread. I’ve given up believing people care about the nuances of screenwriting. They’d rather put on the ear muffs and scream.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    RC7 wrote: »

Wonder how many people will read this (again) and immediately dismiss it because it undermines the black and white argument that is the lifeblood of this thread. I’ve given up believing people care about the nuances of screenwriting. They’d rather put on the ear muffs and scream.

One time, I watched CR with the screenplay in front of me. It was very illuminating: Green tended to repeat the dialogue exactly as written and Craig was more improvisational.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Bounine wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The discussion regarding suits is amusing. In this day and age, sadly few people seems to know what a suit actually is. Put on a tweed sports jacket with a tie and people will call that a suit. Put on a navy blazer over business casual attire ( or jeans) and people think that's a suit.

Bond wears well tailored suits. Period. If he happens to be sporting his best Saville Row gray Mohair suit and a situation occurs that propels him into action, he's not going to stop to put on some sneakers or take off his jacket.

I do think there are a few films in which more casual attire should have appeared, though. The caviar factory scene in TWINE for instance could have skipped the suit. Had it been Roger, I picture him wearing something similar to the Kristatos warehouse raid in FYEO or the leather blouson in AVTAK.

Agreed with all of this.

Love this line:

"...meaning the entirety of the old gang is back together for one last tilt at stopping Spectre from bloody ruining everything for everyone."

I hope the gang are confined to their offices this time around but that's too much to hope for.

FWIW, M, Q, and Moneypenny have often been out in the field.

Yeah but not in pretty much every film. In the good old days, it was few and far between.

Not to mention they were written as much more interesting characters than they are nowadays.
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    I had a 45 minute drive from work to pick up my kids from school yesterday and I was pondering on where they can go from here.

If they kill Madeline off, could it be QOS all over again in terms of a revenge driven plot over a loved one?

Are we getting a direct sequel to SP? Perhaps Blofeld comes back. Does he escape? Just as what we saw in MI Fallout
    Solomon Lane escapes from the drowing truck

So many possibilities

I have noticed lots of people mention a Silence of he Lambs type role for Blofeld in Bond25. I wonder if they could take it a step further with Blofeld mentoring and influencing a young psychotic villain played by an actor like Rami Malek.

This. This was mentioned a while back and I LOVE this idea. A Silence of the Lambs type adaptation could really be cool with Blofeld orchestrating devastating events behind bars. Swan could serve as the psychologist assigned to him, while Bond has to go on a mission to counter Blofeld's plans.

I remember writing something not dissimilar a while back...

The truth is Blofeld has never really worked as the main villain, he always was more effective in small doses where he lurked in the shadows. If there was a narrative reason why Bond would need to turn to Blofeld for information and visit him in prison, that would be cool. It would allow Christoph to cameo (and possibly do some trademark scene-stealing) without overwhelming the film. He would basically have as big a role as Mr White in SP.

But it looks as though Eon are after a younger American actor for the lead villain. They may pull a The Dark Knight Rises and have the villain be some young, progressive, protester-type who wants to upset the established order but has become radical in his nihilistic ambitions...or some Zuckerberg-Fake News mogul.

I disagree, he was a great villain in OHMSS.

Blofeld definitely was a stellar villain in OHMSS. The only cinematic depiction of him in which he does hold up as the anti-Bond rather than a weakling armchair leader. Some things just cannot be opposed to even when one is biased.
    Blofeld definitely was a stellar villain in OHMSS. The only cinematic depiction of him in which he does hold up as the anti-Bond rather than a weakling armchair leader. Some things just cannot be opposed to even when one is biased.

Love Telly's Blofeld - the best by miles.

Walecs wrote: »
    TripAces wrote: »
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The discussion regarding suits is amusing. In this day and age, sadly few people seems to know what a suit actually is. Put on a tweed sports jacket with a tie and people will call that a suit. Put on a navy blazer over business casual attire ( or jeans) and people think that's a suit.

Bond wears well tailored suits. Period. If he happens to be sporting his best Saville Row gray Mohair suit and a situation occurs that propels him into action, he's not going to stop to put on some sneakers or take off his jacket.

I do think there are a few films in which more casual attire should have appeared, though. The caviar factory scene in TWINE for instance could have skipped the suit. Had it been Roger, I picture him wearing something similar to the Kristatos warehouse raid in FYEO or the leather blouson in AVTAK.

Agreed with all of this.

Love this line:

"...meaning the entirety of the old gang is back together for one last tilt at stopping Spectre from bloody ruining everything for everyone."

I hope the gang are confined to their offices this time around but that's too much to hope for.

FWIW, M, Q, and Moneypenny have often been out in the field.

Yeah but not in pretty much every film. In the good old days, it was few and far between.

Not to mention they were written as much more interesting characters than they are nowadays.
    Bentley007 wrote: »
    I had a 45 minute drive from work to pick up my kids from school yesterday and I was pondering on where they can go from here.

If they kill Madeline off, could it be QOS all over again in terms of a revenge driven plot over a loved one?

Are we getting a direct sequel to SP? Perhaps Blofeld comes back. Does he escape? Just as what we saw in MI Fallout
    Solomon Lane escapes from the drowing truck

So many possibilities

I have noticed lots of people mention a Silence of he Lambs type role for Blofeld in Bond25. I wonder if they could take it a step further with Blofeld mentoring and influencing a young psychotic villain played by an actor like Rami Malek.

This. This was mentioned a while back and I LOVE this idea. A Silence of the Lambs type adaptation could really be cool with Blofeld orchestrating devastating events behind bars. Swan could serve as the psychologist assigned to him, while Bond has to go on a mission to counter Blofeld's plans.

I remember writing something not dissimilar a while back...

The truth is Blofeld has never really worked as the main villain, he always was more effective in small doses where he lurked in the shadows. If there was a narrative reason why Bond would need to turn to Blofeld for information and visit him in prison, that would be cool. It would allow Christoph to cameo (and possibly do some trademark scene-stealing) without overwhelming the film. He would basically have as big a role as Mr White in SP.

But it looks as though Eon are after a younger American actor for the lead villain. They may pull a The Dark Knight Rises and have the villain be some young, progressive, protester-type who wants to upset the established order but has become radical in his nihilistic ambitions...or some Zuckerberg-Fake News mogul.

I disagree, he was a great villain in OHMSS.

Agreed. Savalas was menacing, and I can't say that for Pleasance, Gray, or Waltz. A lot of credit is also due to the script (and score). I wish they had brought back Simon Raven for DAF, LALD, etc. He and Maibaum were a wonderful pairing.
    About damn time Bond ripped off Hannibal Lecter. But I agree it could be cool.

Without a shadow of doubt.

Easily..none of the others even came close.
    Shame he outpriced himself for DAF.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Thing is, I really love the cheesy Blofeld seen in DAF, but he's not Blofeld. He's a charming adversary who's sort of a frenemy to Bond. Blofeld, however, he certainly isn't.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Thing is, I really love the cheesy Blofeld seen in DAF, but he's not Blofeld. He's a charming adversary who's sort of a frenemy to Bond. Blofeld, however, he certainly isn't.

Telly Blofeld was written and played very well.

If Gray was playing that character under a different name,not as Blofeld,I think that would have raised the bar more,for me anyway.
    Indeed he was. And he definitely was a great match for Lazenby's Bond.
    If Gray was playing that character under a different name,not as Blofeld,I think that would have raised the bar more,for me anyway.
    Agreed. It would've benefited from using a different character/name. Then again, DAF is a cheese-fest it would have to be completely scrapped and rewritten for it to look like a genuine James Bond thriller.
    Indeed he was. And he definitely was a great match for Lazenby's Bond.
    Agreed. It would've benefited from using a different character/name. Then again, DAF is a cheese-fest it would have to be completely scrapped and rewritten for it to look like a genuine James Bond thriller.

Telly's portrayal would have worked in the lighter DAF with Connery and St. John, and the continuity would have been nice. He was an underrated actor.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I quite enjoy DAF and Gray's portrayal in it. It all comes together nicely and is tonally consistent for the type of film they were trying to make. I thought it was quite brave to take such an approach. The most recent example of this sort of thing was Thor Ragnarok, which is tonally very different from the first film, but still highly entertaining as well. All the actors changed their approach to fit the tone of the film and it felt coherent.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I would add the Faceless Blofeld from FRWL and TB to that.
    Oh yes.

In my opinion, only two actors could've played that Blofeld with a face.

Peter Wyngarde or Christopher Lee.
    What about Otto Preminger?
    Characteristics may be align well with his portrayal, but he does lack the physicality to take on Bond.

Never liked him as Mr. Freeze, but he was certainly a villain in real life!

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

What about Peter Cushing?
    What about Peter Cushing?
    He'd be a Tanner in the Connery era. Or Sir James Moloney.