No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• edited December 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Easy there let’s not start dragging certain words into this conversation.

@Risico007, old pal, it was obviously meant as a joke - Mr. PC police ;) Read the rest of it? And what if a certain person was on the autistic spectrum? I know for a fact that a member of these boards probably is, and we all give him respect and a lot of slack sometimes, even though we don't know of his diagnosis, or any possible other. We like him because he isn't aggressive in his input, and is a valuable member (not naming him). Guy can be a genius sometimes. On the other hand, one or two members of the boards, by repeating their inputs in an aggressive manner can be quite insulting. That being said, and about @PanchitoPistoles, I like him and he clearly doesn't fit in that particular diagnosis (maybe a sociopath? See, another joke). His other inputs, that don't aim to diminish Barbara Broccoli, and that are not prophetic in what Nolan is concerned, are wonderful. He is quite the clever fella. That being said, if I openly said he sometimes comes across as autistic regarding Nolan, it was, again, a joke, and he is intelligent enough to know it. Some others have said he has an obsession with the guy, some called him a possible stalker. He probably laughs at this. He's just a super fan. I, for one, love Nolan. If it weren't for the Mendes films (dark and moody enough) I'd be all for him being Bond26 director. Although I would be more appreciative of his writing skills - we do need good writers.
    royale65 wrote: »
    I can confirm that Bond 25 title is - Scooby. Trust me, I know.

lol, post of the day. Well done.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited December 2018 Posts: 2,541
    barryt007 wrote: »
    I do like the title 'Shatterhand' but maybe for B26 rather than B25.
    Like @Risico007 I don't want yet another '1 word ' film beginning with 'S'.

I don't think they'd go with SHATTERHAND - since 'shat' is slang in the UK which means Twitter will have a field day with the title. Also, why are people being being so high-maintenance about the title beginning with 'S'? Jeez, people find anything to moan about these days.

If they wanted a YOLT chapter title (presuming that is the angle they're going for) - I always liked SPARROW TEARS.

Personally, I always liked the title mooted for SF - ONCE UPON A SPY.

Also, in early September 2018, it seemed as though Lea was hinting she could return. We 'we'll see' comment seems to suggest that Eon had perhaps suggested the possibility was out there if the script went that direction:
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/lea-seydoux-wants-return-madeleine-swann-bond-25-thomas-vinterberg-wants-direct-exclusive-133914206.html

Since Bond and Madeleine were in "love" at the end of SP. I thinkthis might mean that 007 won't have a romantic connection in 25.

I think it be kind of cool if they went down the Unforgiven route and had Bond and Madeleine have a happy ever after, only for her to die of cancer in the opening and Bond to be in a rut (have Lea in dream flashbacks). Which forces a young MI6 agent to force him out for one last mission.

Bond and the MI6 agent won't have a romantic connection because the spectre of Madeleine (and all the others he couldn't save) lingers over him. See what I did there?

This thing practically write itself.

Yikes that sound even more melodramatic than SP. I don't need any flashbacks of what happened I want to see it happening at the moment not in a flashback.

Hahaha don't put ideas in their heads !!

I don't think they'd go with SHATTERHAND - since 'shat' is slang in the UK which means Twitter will have a field day with the title. Also, why are people being being so high-maintenance about the title beginning with 'S'? Jeez, people find anything to moan about these days.

If they wanted a YOLT chapter title (presuming that is the angle they're going for) - I always liked SPARROW TEARS.

Also, in early September 2018, it seemed as though Lea was hinting she could return. We 'we'll see' comment seems to suggest that Eon had perhaps suggested the possibility was out there if the script went that direction:
    https://uk.movies.yahoo.com/lea-seydoux-wants-return-madeleine-swann-bond-25-thomas-vinterberg-wants-direct-exclusive-133914206.html

Since Bond and Madeleine were in "love" at the end of SP. I thinkthis might mean that 007 won't have a romantic connection in 25.

I think it be kind of cool if they went down the Unforgiven route and had Bond and Madeleine have a happy ever after, only for her to die of cancer in the opening and Bond to be in a rut (have Lea in dream flashbacks). Which forces a young MI6 agent to force him out for one last mission.

Bond and the MI6 agent won't have a romantic connection because the spectre of Madeleine (and all the others he couldn't save) lingers over him. See what I did there?

Yikes that sound even more melodramatic than SP. I don't need any flashbacks of what happened I want to see it happening at the moment not in a flashback.

Exactly !!
    Totally agree .
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,400

Exactly !!
    Totally agree .

I mean the same type of dream sequences that Ethan Hunt had in Fallout when he was thinking about Michelle Monaghan.

FYI, Fallout was much more melodramatic than people seem to remember - there was heaps of great action but Ethan is the most haunted he has been in that film. Plus, he's tittering on the edge of breaking his own moral code. Coupled with the fact that he has a very personal connection to the villain, who in turn is manipulating and personally-implicating Ethan into his scheme. Fallout was basically a Daniel Craig-era Bond film....it even looked bleaker than the usual brightly coloured Mission films.

I think with Fukunaga in charge we'll get something similar to Fallout and SF/SP and also:

⚫ More drama and a nihilistic/bleak tone.
    ⚫ Perhaps more style and a more modern look than the traditional SP.
    ⚫ Long-tracking shots of action (we have no idea how he'll handle a big-budget set-piece, hopefully more excitingly than Mendes)
    ⚫ More real-world politics (see Sin Nombre and Beasts of No Nation)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?

Exactly !!
    Totally agree .

I mean the same type of dream sequences that Ethan Hunt had in Fallout when he was thinking about Michelle Monaghan.

FYI, Fallout was much more melodramatic than people seem to remember - there was heaps of great action but Ethan is the most haunted he has been in that film. Plus, he's tittering on the edge of breaking his own moral code. Coupled with the fact that he has a very personal connection to the villain, who in turn is manipulating and personally-implicating Ethan into his scheme. Fallout was basically a Daniel Craig-era Bond film....it even looked bleaker than the usual brightly coloured Mission films.

I think with Fukunaga in charge we'll get something similar to Fallout and SF/SP and also:

⚫ More drama and a nihilistic/bleak tone.
    ⚫ Perhaps more style and a more modern look than the traditional SP.
    ⚫ Long-tracking shots of action (we have no idea how he'll handle a big-budget set-piece, hopefully more excitingly than Mendes)
    ⚫ More real-world politics (see Sin Nombre and Beasts of No Nation)
    Sounds just peachy, especially the dying of cancer part. Exactly what I'm looking for in Bond film.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    People don't seem to understand the difference between melodramatic and just......well, dramatic.
    I thing there is a subtle difference between drama and melodrama (one that goes through over the top action and cheesy storylines). I had no issue with drama but last two bond films have gone from drama to melodrama, as much as I enjoyed skyfall it has its flaws with some melodramatic scenes and SP was it's clear victim why I never want melodrama in the first place. Mi and other franchise does it but bond has never done that for a reason. Just want to live in the moment.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    I had a 45 minute drive from work to pick up my kids from school yesterday and I was pondering on where they can go from here.

If they kill Madeline off, could it be QOS all over again in terms of a revenge driven plot over a loved one?

Are we getting a direct sequel to SP? Perhaps Blofeld comes back. Does he escape? Just as what we saw in MI Fallout
    Solomon Lane escapes from the drowing truck

So many possibilities
    I hope not.
    Im sick to the back teeth of revenge and rogue Bond situations.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    I hope not.

giphy.gif
    With Cary I don't think we are going to get one. Blofeld is in jail. The only reason Cary is bringing Lea because he knows that he needs to tie the loose ends. This film could be a standalone mission something a majority of us looking for in a long time. Story is standalone not the Characters (M/MP/Q/Swann). CR was a standalone film with Only one character returning M why can't this one.
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    I had a 45 minute drive from work to pick up my kids from school yesterday and I was pondering on where they can go from here.

If they kill Madeline off, could it be QOS all over again in terms of a revenge driven plot over a loved one?

Are we getting a direct sequel to SP? Perhaps Blofeld comes back. Does he escape? Just as what we saw in MI Fallout

So many possibilities

I have noticed lots of people mention a Silence of he Lambs type role for Blofeld in Bond25. I wonder if they could take it a step further with Blofeld mentoring and influencing a young psychotic villain played by an actor like Rami Malek.
  • royale65royale65 Caustic misanthrope reporting for duty.
    I hope not.

Unless -

Q has just picked up some cat food. The he gets mugged walking home! Scoobies Assemble! This time, it's so personal.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I hope not.
    Unless -

Q has just picked up some cat food. The he gets mugged walking home! Scoobies Assemble! This time, it's so personal.
    :))

Nothing would surprise me anymore.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Bentley007 wrote: »

So many possibilities

I have noticed lots of people mention a Silence of he Lambs type role for Blofeld in Bond25. I wonder if they could take it a step further with Blofeld mentoring and influencing a young psychotic villain played by an actor like Rami Malek.

This. This was mentioned a while back and I LOVE this idea. A Silence of the Lambs type adaptation could really be cool with Blofeld orchestrating devastating events behind bars. Swan could serve as the psychologist assigned to him, while Bond has to go on a mission to counter Blofeld's plans.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

So many possibilities

This. This was mentioned a while back and I LOVE this idea. A Silence of the Lambs type adaptation could really be cool with Blofeld orchestrating devastating events behind bars. Swan could serve as the psychologist assigned to him, while Bond has to go on a mission to counter Blofeld's plans.
    This isn't a bad idea, at all. But, something tells me it will go sideways.
    I thing there is a subtle difference between drama and melodrama (one that goes through over the top action and cheesy storylines). I had no issue with drama but last two bond films have gone from drama to melodrama, as much as I enjoyed skyfall it has its flaws with some melodramatic scenes and SP was it's clear victim why I never want melodrama in the first place. Mi and other franchise does it but bond has never done that for a reason. Just want to live in the moment.

SP does suffer from melodrama due to its piss-poor scripting but I don't think either SF or Fallout are victims of it at all.

Drama only really becomes melodrama when it starts to overshadow the plot. SF was compelling enough to me, with a clear enough goal and simplistic enough narrative, to not suffer. Fallout didn't suffer at all as the dramatic stuff was just a backdrop. The film never lost sight of the core goal which was the plutonium/bombs.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 4,400

So many possibilities

I remember writing something not dissimilar a while back...

The truth is Blofeld has never really worked as the main villain, he always was more effective in small doses where he lurked in the shadows. If there was a narrative reason why Bond would need to turn to Blofeld for information and visit him in prison, that would be cool. It would allow Christoph to cameo (and possibly do some trademark scene-stealing) without overwhelming the film. He would basically have as big a role as Mr White in SP.

But it looks as though Eon are after a younger American actor for the lead villain. They may pull a The Dark Knight Rises and have the villain be some young, progressive, protester-type who wants to upset the established order but has become radical in his nihilistic ambitions...or some Zuckerberg-Fake News mogul.

• jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator

So many possibilities

Not a bad idea at all.
    jake24 wrote: »

So many possibilities

Not a bad idea at all.

I could live with this, too. Though admittedly it's incredibly ridiculous to have Swann, of all people, be assigned to him.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans

So many possibilities

Not a bad idea at all.

I could live with this, too. Though admittedly it's incredibly ridiculous to have Swann, of all people, be assigned to him.

This was my first thought; it’s a good concept but she would never be assigned to him.

edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883

So many possibilities

Not a bad idea at all.

I've always been open to this idea as well, and think it could work within the confines of a Bond film. It would be a way to salvage the particularly poor (in my view) characterizations which were initially established in SP. It should be up CF's alley as well, based on his prior output.

The only issue I have with this (and it's a big one) is that Silence of the Lambs is one of the most iconic films of its kind. It's almost 'seared in the memory' legend, as is Lecter and Jodie Foster's Clarice. So iconic in fact that the sequels fell flat when attempting to recast characters (Hannibal) or revisit the premise (Red Dragon).

So a possible issue is unfavourable comparisons with what is still the definitive depiction of that kind of scenario.

This reminds me that I need to revisit that trilogy and Manhunter soon.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    Look at Raymond Reddington in The Blacklist. He would only speak to Agent Keane. They could possibly go down this road; where Blofeld would only speak with Madeline because of their past connections. That wouldn't be too ridiculous IMO.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    edited December 2018 Posts: 4,443
    I can only picture Rami Malek as a Kronsteen-esque figure
    Its a fair idea but people will definitely compare it with Silence of the Lambs,so its best to stay away from the idea I think.
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,883
    The more I think about it, Swann's professional background could be just as much a reason for why she is returning than any romance. The Craig era has been about introspection. Deconstruction, resurrection and redemption. If they want to delve further into and repair 'this Bond's' psyche, then his lover is as good of an analyst/counselor as anybody else.

I had speculated earlier that he may save her from herself (if she is in fact a closet villain). However, it's just as likely that she may save him from himself - in other words they may execute better on what they were attempting to do in SP, but this time more explicitly on account of her professional skills.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Yes, there has been speculation that Swann might be a sleeper agent even since SP's release. That might be a more interesting way to go, but let's be honest, they're totally going the OHMSS route.
    Yes, its been her agenda the entire time. Hence the quickiness of the “i hate you/i love you” turn around. And that grin at the end. She’s just up to no good. Revenge, Elektra complex, a spectre mole, ... Bond just knows how to pick his women doesn’t he? It would actually work to SPs benefit. I like it.
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    If Swann were a sleeper Spectre agent, we could have the added bonus of a Mr. White flashback scene where she is being hypnotized/brainwashed.

The idea is ridiculous, but no more so than anything in SP, and might just work.
    How about a twist on a twist and that Bond has sussed that Swann is a SP agent and going along with it. When Bond collects the car at the end of SP, he ensures that the tracker etc is working as he knows that he will be in danger and he has tipped off Q. (we never see them complete their conversation in the final scene)

It's about time we saw Bond one step ahead of the woman rather than reacting to them.