No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Waltz COULD still be a great Blofeld, if he actually has something to do in Bond 25. Hopefully he is back.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Waltz COULD still be a great Blofeld, if he actually has something to do in Bond 25. Hopefully he is back.

I want him back as well. Just drop the references to their childhood.
    Birdleson wrote: »
    Blofeld definitely was a stellar villain in OHMSS. The only cinematic depiction of him in which he does hold up as the anti-Bond rather than a weakling armchair leader. Some things just cannot be opposed to even when one is biased.
    I would add the Faceless Blofeld from FRWL and TB to that.
    Oh yes.

In my opinion, only two actors could've played that Blofeld with a face.

Peter Wyngarde or Christopher Lee.

Peter Wyngarde as Blofeld would have been great!
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    Officially just 14 months until the release date.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Blofeld definitely was a stellar villain in OHMSS. The only cinematic depiction of him in which he does hold up as the anti-Bond rather than a weakling armchair leader. Some things just cannot be opposed to even when one is biased.
    Oh yes.

Indeed. He was always my ultimate dream villain for a Connery era Bond film who’d end up being his nemesis. Imagine Connery going toe to toe with Wynegarde in an intense fight that’d be put the train fight from FRWL to shame, or the banter of taunts and insults they’d exchange without breaking a single glass of sophistication.
    Oh yes.

Indeed. He was always my ultimate dream villain for a Connery era Bond film who’d end up being his nemesis. Imagine Connery going toe to toe with Wynegarde in an intense fight that’d be put the train fight from FRWL to shame, or the banter of taunts and insults they’d exchange without breaking a single glass of sophistication.

Connery going toe to toe with Wyngarde would no doubt have been very interesting. Makes you wonder if we have any actors like him around in 2018…
    edited December 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Oh yes.

Connery going toe to toe with Wyngarde would no doubt have been very interesting. Makes you wonder if we have any actors like him around in 2018…
    No. Today we have only actors that appear either in the clones of Black Hawk Down or High School Musical.
    Oh yes.

No. Today we have only actors that appear either in the clones of Black Hawk Down or High School Musical.

Guess you're right about that. Shame really, as a Wyngarde type actor would have made a brilliant villain in a modern Bond film. Maybe not with the Jason King styled mustache though!
    Peter Wyngarde could have made a great Scaramange. Kind of a blend of Lee and Fleming's character.
    He'd have been great. Although, I'm still glad they didn't use Fleming's literary Scaramanga as I found him very weak.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited December 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Do we have an old thread that is "re-imagined" Bond films? With us saying which actor to play which role in each Bond film; all alternates from the original. I sort of think we do. It's a fun idea for an entire thread ...
    I do recall having a thread like that. In fact, I remember two.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    edited December 2018 Posts: 23,635
    I hosted a thread like that, @ClarkDevlin and @4EverBonded. Want me to revive it? :)

Funny thing about that thread; former member Gustav_Graves actually suggested Christoph Waltz as Blofeld in July 2013! Clairvoyance, or what? ;-)
    There was one with a custom Bond timeline of a fan's choice, and there was another with casting famous old actors in Bond films. Can't remember the exact titles of the threads, but we did have those around.

Sure, @DarthDimi, either of those are fun threads.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    Yes, I'd love you to revive it. @DarthDimi . People have good ideas and it's just plain fun while we wait for more real news re Bond 25. Thanks!
  • echoecho 007 in New York
    Officially just 14 months until the release date.

Whoa.
    I already have 2/14/20 off from work so I can spend that day with Bond.
  • Jordo007Jordo007 Merseyside
    I'm not too sure what I want from Bond 25.

I wasn't over the moon to hear that Swann was returning but its great to have some news and it has intrigued me for what they're going to do with the character.
    I just hope we get a performance from Craig more like his first 3 outings rather than what we got with Spectre, a big part of his performance was the changing script but still.

Honestly I don't care if we see classic Bond this time out, I just hope we get something fresh provided it doesn't stray too far from Bond
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Jordo007 wrote: »
    I'm not too sure what I want from Bond 25.

I wasn't over the moon to hear that Swann was returning but its great to have some news and it has intrigued me for what they're going to do with the character.
    I just hope we get a performance from Craig more like his first 3 outings rather than what we got with Spectre, a big part of his performance was the changing script but still.

Honestly I don't care if we see classic Bond this time out, I just hope we get something fresh provided it doesn't stray too far from Bond

This is a good approach to have, @Jordo007 -- the negativity from some about a film they know nothing about, has been remarkable.

Best to keep emotional responses in check (positive and negative), until there's more info, or, even better, until the film comes out.

I don't know what I want either, other than a return to form for DC who I find to be an amazing actor and who has, for me, given a great run as James Bond. I have no doubt that this will continue in the next film.

Other than that, my expectations and needs as a fan remain pretty muted at the moment.
  • Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan
    I'm very excited about B25, I have faith it will be craig's best and hopefully the changing course for the future of the franchise!
  • TripAcesTripAces Universal Exports
    If it is indeed true that Seydoux is returning, that might increase the chances that Thomas Newman will be brought in again to score the film.
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    TripAces wrote: »
    If it is indeed true that Seydoux is returning, that might increase the chances that Thomas Newman will be brought in again to score the film.

I sincerely hope not. SP would have to be one of if not the worst scored Bond films in memory.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    edited December 2018 Posts: 8,014

Noooooooooo!!!!!!!.....

Actually, I believe the two are completely unrelated.

• Blofeld0064Blofeld0064 Milford, Michigan

What that really doesn't make sense, Maybe if Mendes was directing again but seydoux has nothing to do at all with Newman.
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    I’ve found someone with musical talents far surpassing Newman:
    I’ve found someone with musical talents far surpassing Newman:
    =))

Drummer Parrot should compose the score for B25. And perhaps rescore SF and SP.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    All this hatred for Mendes is silly. Remember when Arnold was scoring the Bonds? This forum was the anti-Arnold forum. Now, some of our members are ready to have Arnold's baby. Is that a testament of how "bad" Newman's music is? No. Because when Arnold was heavily criticised for doing his thing, few people were screaming for a return of Serra. The anti-Newman attitude comes from the fact that this man isn't pursuing Barry, he's not even trying (unlike Arnold). And we don't like that--I don't like that. But to pretend that Newman is an incompetent composer whose contributions to SF and SP were horrific, to pretend that we can do better with a couple of chopsticks and some glass bottles, is outrageous. As with Serra's GE score, Newman's music works in his two Bond films. As a standalone listening experience, his music may be more challenging for sure, but rarely am I taken out of the films because of his works. There are even times, especially in SP, when I feel that Newman's music shows sparks of brilliance. But the current trend, sadly, is to display no nuance anymore. Just bash and trash. We all do that, but one has to know when enough is enough. Let's see who they bring in next. I'm confident it won't be Newman. But nevermind, let's just see who. Perhaps in 5 years from now, people have suddenly rediscovered Newman and decided he wasn't all that bad.
  • edited December 2018 Posts: 17,357
    Re. Mendes, I was really looking forward to him directing Bond. I really did. But in the end, his two films are at the bottom of my list – by quite a margin. I just can't find them enjoyable. A factor to this is Newman's scores. For me, his scores (or score and a half) doesn't add anything, it doesn't elevate a scene to another level at all, and it takes me out of the films. When I heard his reuse of the SF score in SP, that was enough for me.
  • My complaint with the Newman scores is they didn't feel like Bond scores. But as far as poking fun at his musicianship, I think that's a bit daft.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    edited December 2018 Posts: 16,334
    I do enjoy some of Newman's scores outside of Bond but for Skyfall and Spectre, they lacked the Bondian oomph. And Spectre relied too much on Skyfall's soundtrack, which isn't directly Newman's fault anyway. They just aren't very memorable on their own. Skyfall's is serviceable in it's film but in Spectre's case I'm taken out of the movie every time a track from Skyfall was reused. I wish he would have used the Bond theme more in action scenes. The subtle romantic stuff is fine. It's the action music where he lacked.
    I actually though Newman's SF score sounded pretty close in style and tone to Arnold. It just bothered me that it seemed copied/paste onto SP.