No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    Mendes is not a good action director. Or suspense director either. He relies on slow, and I mean slow, pacing to build tension with limited pay off. He did attemtp to up his game for SP, so I'll give him that, but he still fell way too short. The only thing I found viscerally exciting was the SP train fight in almost 5 hours worth of total Mendes' Bond film. That's not to say I hate those movies at all, but I don' think anyone can rightfully suggest Mendes is good at action.
  • RC7RC7
    TripAces wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    echo wrote: »
    Not sure about that, at all. Mendes was not an action-oriented director and he made SP as big as they come.

I appreciate the secrecy that has enveloped the film so far under Fukunaga's tenure.

Exactly. Mendes was a totally leftfield choice for Bond. And as you say had no action credentials - which frankly showed.

Cary is not being brought on board to direct a small movie - plus he has shown he can direct very good action. Genuine action that is not just explosions and car crashes but actually contributes to the narrative and character development.

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said "action is character" and the early Bond films really took that to heart. We need to go back to that approach where the action is not just bolted on for the sake of a tedious set piece explosion, but is integral to the plot and telling us who Bond is.

1. Mendes directed Jarhead (war drama) and Road to Perdition (crime drama) both had plenty of action.
    I´m wondering what your Definition of Action is. Or if you watched those two films at all.

I watched both films and have, of course, watched all Bond films.

I don't think that Bond has ever fit in with the traditional idea of an action film, anyway. QoS is the outlier, in this regard, and its why late great Roger Ebert said this:

"OK, I'll say it. Never again. Don't ever let this happen again to James Bond. "Quantum of Solace" is his 22nd film and he will survive it, but for the 23rd it is necessary to go back to the drawing board and redesign from the ground up. Please understand: James Bond is not an action hero! He is too good for that. He is an attitude. Violence for him is an annoyance. He exists for the foreplay and the cigarette. "

I agree to an extenet (though I actually liked QoS). If I want action for the sake of action, I have a lot of choices for that. Bond is different. I think Mendes did just fine in the action sequences he directed EXCEPT for the slow-moving, suspense-deprived car chase in SP.

But I don't know how anyone could watch the PTS in both SF and SP, the Bond-Patrice Shanghai fight, and the Bond-Hinx train fight and believe Mendes can't direct an action sequence.

Ebert, of course, is spot on.

The SF PTS is better than anything in its predecessor.
  • dominicgreenedominicgreene The Eternal QOS Defender
    I'll take suits over casualwear any day of the week. It's a gentleman's uniform. And Bond is a gentleman.

There's being a gentleman, and then there's wearing a suit during an action sequence. Doesn't make any sense at all, it's Austin Powers parody worthy.
    I'll take suits over casualwear any day of the week. It's a gentleman's uniform. And Bond is a gentleman.

There's being a gentleman, and then there's wearing a suit during an action sequence. Doesn't make any sense at all, it's Austin Powers parody worthy.
    That depends on the suit. Remember, Connery wouldn´t trust his Tailor-made suits until Young had him Sleep in one of them. A good tailored suit is more comfortable for Fighting than say blue Jeans. I wouldn´t insist on those tight-fitting Tom Ford suits, but I never had a Problem believing SF´s Bond has a knack for them.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns

Sorry, but that's a very weak remark to make. Anything remotely classy, and you lot resort to throwing the "Austin Powers parody" label that makes zero sense. Austin Powers, for one, doesn't wear conventional suits. By that definition, all government official bodyguards are Austin Powers wannabes. How's that working out?

Perhaps we'll have Bond dress like a chav, or outfit himself in tight jeans, flip flops, grow a stubble or maybe a long goatee, sport a long hair and wear a hoodie. That's cool alright.
    Sorry, but Mendes can't direct action. That's a common knowledge.

Perhaps he tried and kudos to him for that, but he just can't.
    Skyfall proved that Mendes is a first rate action director. His action scenes in that movie are always very beautiful to look at and they never overwhelm the story.

Skyfall proved that Mendes is a first rate action director. His action scenes in that movie are always very beautiful to look at and they never overwhelm the story.
    Sure, darling.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited November 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Regarding suits, I think there's a time for it. I remember thinking that Brosnan overwore them in TND & TWINE for some reason, and felt they had become a bit cliched at that point. I think generally they've done a better job of it during the Craig era, in terms of getting the balance right.

Bond should wear a suit when the occasion warrants it, and dress appropriately in more smart casual fare if and when he's not at a formal setting. Connery did this in GF & TB most notably, and it worked great.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.

Both those points are accurate. However, neither of them make the action exciting. The PTS is very well put together but it lacks urgency and just feels lifeless. The score doesn't help. The court shootout is the definition of pedestrian. The climax I actually really enjoy.

I don't wanna get into the action in SP. The train fight is badass but everything else is just forgettable.
    The court shoot out was utterly dire. Bad Sunday afternoon BBC police drama.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    I quite enjoyed that sequence myself - particularly the wink Bond gave Mallory prior to shooting the extinguisher as well as his confident stride out into the open firing his Walther once he'd reduced visibility in the room.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    I have no problem with the action in SF but quite few of those slagging it off are Brosnan fans and outside of GE all the action sequences onwards sent me to sleep.

I agree the action sequences in the DC films do push the narrative on.

The SF PTS is a thrilling piece of film and I love the russian doll like presentation as it changes from one setting to another.

I prefer the action in SF to a good percentage of anything in the series but each to his own.

That being said outside of the PTS the action sequences in SP are sleep inducing guff.
    The discussion regarding suits is amusing. In this day and age, sadly few people seems to know what a suit actually is. Put on a tweed sports jacket with a tie and people will call that a suit. Put on a navy blazer over business casual attire ( or jeans) and people think that's a suit.

Bond wears well tailored suits. Period. If he happens to be sporting his best Saville Row gray Mohair suit and a situation occurs that propels him into action, he's not going to stop to put on some sneakers or take off his jacket.

I do think there are a few films in which more casual attire should have appeared, though. The caviar factory scene in TWINE for instance could have skipped the suit. Had it been Roger, I picture him wearing something similar to the Kristatos warehouse raid in FYEO or the leather blouson in AVTAK.

• DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    RC7 wrote: »
    Not sure about that, at all. Mendes was not an action-oriented director and he made SP as big as they come.

I appreciate the secrecy that has enveloped the film so far under Fukunaga's tenure.

Exactly. Mendes was a totally leftfield choice for Bond. And as you say had no action credentials - which frankly showed.

Cary is not being brought on board to direct a small movie - plus he has shown he can direct very good action. Genuine action that is not just explosions and car crashes but actually contributes to the narrative and character development.

F. Scott Fitzgerald once said "action is character" and the early Bond films really took that to heart. We need to go back to that approach where the action is not just bolted on for the sake of a tedious set piece explosion, but is integral to the plot and telling us who Bond is.

1. Mendes directed Jarhead (war drama) and Road to Perdition (crime drama) both had plenty of action.
    I´m wondering what your Definition of Action is. Or if you watched those two films at all.

I don't think that Bond has ever fit in with the traditional idea of an action film, anyway. QoS is the outlier, in this regard, and its why late great Roger Ebert said this:

"OK, I'll say it. Never again. Don't ever let this happen again to James Bond. "Quantum of Solace" is his 22nd film and he will survive it, but for the 23rd it is necessary to go back to the drawing board and redesign from the ground up. Please understand: James Bond is not an action hero! He is too good for that. He is an attitude. Violence for him is an annoyance. He exists for the foreplay and the cigarette. "

I agree to an extenet (though I actually liked QoS). If I want action for the sake of action, I have a lot of choices for that. Bond is different. I think Mendes did just fine in the action sequences he directed EXCEPT for the slow-moving, suspense-deprived car chase in SP.

But I don't know how anyone could watch the PTS in both SF and SP, the Bond-Patrice Shanghai fight, and the Bond-Hinx train fight and believe Mendes can't direct an action sequence.

The SF PTS is vastly overrated. What was really original or stood out in it aside from Bond being shot? A bunch of shooting, destruction, tracking bond, motorcycle stunts that were better done in TND and the train thing.

Despite the complaints about the shaky cam and editing in the QoS PTS, it at least gives off the frantic feel of being caught in such a car chase and ends with a perfect Bond line.

The following chase and the later brutal fight with Slate are also standout scenes and together are better than anything SF offers in my view.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »

He looks like a wrinkly blimp
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    BT3366 wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »

The SF PTS is vastly overrated. What was really original or stood out in it aside from Bond being shot? A bunch of shooting, destruction, tracking bond, motorcycle stunts that were better done in TND and the train thing.

Despite the complaints about the shaky cam and editing in the QoS PTS, it at least gives off the frantic feel of being caught in such a car chase and ends with a perfect Bond line.

The following chase and the later brutal fight with Slate are also standout scenes and together are better than anything SF offers in my view.

This.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 4,400
    Still nothing from Baz...

I've been looking over the timeframes of Baz's scoops from Spectre. You must also remember that Spectre officially began filming on December 4th 2014.

Baz confirmed Lea Seydoux as the new Bond girl on 9 Oct 2014:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2787179/oscar-nominated-french-actress-lea-seydoux-cast-new-bond-girl.html

Baz confirmed Christoph on 14 November 2014:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2833780/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Tarantino-villain-Bond-s-cunning-nemesis.html

Both of these scoops came within a matter of weeks of filming commencing. However, we know from the Sony leaks that both Lea and Christoph were attached/in talks since June/July.

I guess they're zeroing in on the cast now. Baz will get the scoop probably in the new year, since filming won't start till early March.

In the meantime, the tabloids aren't saying much in the way of rumours. Probably becaue Brexit is occupying all column inches and when they do talk about Bond it's only to discuss Craig's replacement.

I'm beyond bored of waiting.
  • edited November 2018 Posts: 647
    Skyfall's action is surprisingly good. Really loved the fistfight, the finale, except for the PTS, which went on for far too long.

Also, is it ever explained why Craig is wearing a suit during the whole thing? Seeing him in such a tight suit takes me out of the scene everytime.

Keep the suits for casual use, stop trying to shoehorn them into action sequences. It doesn't work.
    What are you talking about?? Bond has ALWAYS been in a suit during action scenes (with the exception of skiing scenes). That’s what makes Bond BOND, and not Bourne or some other generic hero. By all means keep Bond in a suit! In fact that’s what I disliked about CR and QOS when they started dressing Bond more casually. That’s not Bond.

Skyfall's action is surprisingly good. Really loved the fistfight, the finale, except for the PTS, which went on for far too long.

Also, is it ever explained why Craig is wearing a suit during the whole thing? Seeing him in such a tight suit takes me out of the scene everytime.

Keep the suits for casual use, stop trying to shoehorn them into action sequences. It doesn't work.
    What are you talking about?? Bond has ALWAYS been in a suit during action scenes (with the exception of skiing scenes). That’s what makes Bond BOND, and not Bourne or some other generic hero. By all means keep Bond in a suit!
    Thank you!
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Still nothing from Baz...

I've been looking over the timeframes of Baz's scoops from Spectre. You must also remember that Spectre officially began filming on December 4th 2014.

Baz confirmed Lea Seydoux as the new Bond girl on 9 Oct 2014:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2787179/oscar-nominated-french-actress-lea-seydoux-cast-new-bond-girl.html

Baz confirmed Christoph on 14 November 2014:
    https://www.dailymail.co.uk/tvshowbiz/article-2833780/BAZ-BAMIGBOYE-Tarantino-villain-Bond-s-cunning-nemesis.html

Both of these scoops came within a matter of weeks of filming commencing. However, we know from the Sony leaks that both Lea and Christoph were attached/in talks since June/July.

I guess they're zeroing in on the cast now. Baz will get the scoop probably in the new year, since filming won't start till early March.

In the meantime, the tabloids aren't saying much in the way of rumours. Probably becaue Brexit is occupying all column inches and when they do talk about Bond it's only to discuss Craig's replacement.

I'm beyond bored of waiting.

I'm sure EoN is sorry you're bored of waiting, but, lets consider this for one moment: they owe us nothing but a Bond film, and as good as one as they can deliver.

The Drive-Through Generation seem to want all news about everything, yesterday (where they will immediately forget about what they were told, once they wake up the next day).

He doesn’t look very blimpish to me.
  • peterpeter Toronto

Agreed. Hard-boiled. Not blimpish.
    peter wrote: »

Agreed. Hard-boiled. Not blimpish.

I mean, do we think he’s had any time to work out in preparation for Bond while shooting Knives Out? I’m not sure when filming ends, but he’ll realistically have January & February to hit the gym & that’s it.
  • Last_Rat_StandingLast_Rat_Standing Long Neck Ice Cold Beer Never Broke My Heart
    Yeah I couldn't think of anything else. His face just looked puffy in some of those photos
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I don't think we will have puffy Bond in 25, but definitely an older Bond. Playing to CF's darker tendencies.

There's been some recent pictures of Pierce Brosnan looking lean and mean at the 25 anniversary of MRS DOUBTFIRE reunion.
    Due to this lack of news, we get another delay in which Craig steps down and Brosnan steps back in for his 5th outing as 007. B25 reveals the Craig era was a nightmare as Brosnan wakes up suddenly older. The dream sequence would be a Danny Kleinman titles masterpiece which incorporates scenes from the Craig era and brother gate is now washed from existence.
    Judi Dench returns as M.
    ToTheRight wrote: »

There's been some recent pictures of Pierce Brosnan looking lean and mean at the 25 anniversary of MRS DOUBTFIRE reunion.
    Due to this lack of news, we get another delay in which Craig steps down and Brosnan steps back in for his 5th outing as 007. B25 reveals the Craig era was a nightmare as Brosnan wakes up suddenly older. The dream sequence would be a Danny Kleinman titles masterpiece which incorporates scenes from the Craig era and brother gate is now washed from existence.
    Judi Dench returns as M.

Actually I heard Timothy Dalton is coming back
    Risico007 wrote: »

Judi Dench returns as M.

Actually I heard Timothy Dalton is coming back

Even better!
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.

Judi Dench returns as M.

Every fiber of my being wants this!