Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    None taken, old chap. ;)

As the man himself once said: "Well, you can't win them all."
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Univex wrote: »
    Hear hear, no stubble. Like you, @bondjames, I'm a fan of the daily shaving ritual, which is being lost because these generations just don't bother. They just don't have the discipline, the mettlesomeness, the pride or the dignity to do so. Let's not have Bond as a slouch and a laxity Y gen idiot, please.
    +1. I quite agree @Univex. I think you've nailed it with the adjectives. Bond should retain a certain timeless regimented style, elegance and discipline - even if such quaint attributes may be considered old fashioned these days.
    None taken, old chap. ;)

As the man himself once said: "Well, you can't win them all."

I'm quite Bondian ;) and I'm 5'6. Damn height! You're right, can't win them all. Nick Nac it is, then.
    bondjames wrote: »
    Hear hear, no stubble. Like you, @bondjames, I'm a fan of the daily shaving ritual, which is being lost because these generations just don't bother. They just don't have the discipline, the mettlesomeness, the pride or the dignity to do so. Let's not have Bond as a slouch and a laxity Y gen idiot, please.
    +1. I quite agree @Univex. I think you've nailed it with the adjectives. Bond should retain a certain timeless regimented style, elegance and discipline - even if such quaint attributes may be considered old fashioned these days.

Bond, as far as I'm concerned is exactly that, old fashioned. That line: I like to do some things the old-fashioned way is one of the best lines in SF, and for me, one that defines the character. He knew what an "beautiful 1964 Aston Martin was", he cherished it always. These are traits that can't be lost, or the character will be lost.
    Well Connery had a five o'clock shadow sometimes but this was due to unforeseen circumstances (he got captured). Nowadays male actors have stubble to hide their baby face. Bond should remain clean shaved.
    Agreed. And cast someone masculine in the part that doesn't scream "baby face".

Here he is :

1ab6ef77b355e9acd7cc9b82b5c8ec4f.jpg
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 15,846

Well said. James Bond is not a slacker who spends all day looking at Facebook and playing video games. He's a disciplined Navy commander who shaves and showers daily. Too many people are too lazy to shave or comb their hair nowadays. Bond is a step above that.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Here he is :

1ab6ef77b355e9acd7cc9b82b5c8ec4f.jpg
    Well, Bond is... somewhat a sailor man. :))
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    I have to agree with all the above posts on facial hair. Unless it's for storyline purposes it's a big no. Bond should always be clean shaven.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Okay, I thought I'd take that same list again and apply the voice test to it. It's not an exact science by using the operatic system, but I'll give it a go. This is for those that would like Bond to have a good, deep delivery reminiscent of Craig, Dalton and Connery, even to a degree Moore, as the next 007.

So, here again are our main candidates for 2018...

Aiden Turner: — Obviously Irish, Dublin accent. Good and can offer a deep delivery. Voice Type: a mix of Baritone and Bass.
    Jamie Dornan: — Obviously Irish, County Down accent. Medium to light tones. Voice Type: Tenor
    Dan Stevens: — Middle England and refined. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor
    Richard Madden: — Clearly Scottish with Glaswegian overtones. Medium. Voice Type: Countertenor
    Henry Cavill: — Clearly Middle England. Medium. Voice Type: Countertenor
    Tom Hiddleston: — Very effete, Etonian. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor
    Michael Fassbender: — Very Irish with a County Antrim accent. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor
    Idris Elba: — Very London. Medium to light tones. Voice Type: Tenor
    Tom Hardy: — London accent. Medium to light, but sometimes with gravelly overtones. Voice Type: a mix of Tenor and Countertenor
    Jack O'Connell: — Very London. Medium to light. Voice Type: Tenor

So what does this prove? Some of these actors have done voice-overs for animated features where their voices have been altered to sound deeper after a little tinkering in Audacity. These include Idris Elba (Star Trek into Darkness, Zootopia, Jungle Book) Dan Stevens (Beauty and the Beast) and Tom Hardy (Bronson, Dark Knight). Also, Fassbender can alter his tonal range with certain ease without the need for Audacity.

My own personal favourites are still Aiden Turner and Dan Stevens, but for different reasons.
  • mattjoesmattjoes Lovers' Rosy Stain
    ToTheRight wrote: »

Well said. James Bond is not a slacker who spends all day looking at Facebook and playing video games. He's a disciplined Navy commander who shaves and showers daily. Too many people are too lazy to shave or comb their hair nowadays. Bond is a step above that.

I strongly agree with this. Very well put. The clean shaven look perfectly suits Bond because of its formality and underlying sense of discipline.
    Oh, here's a photo of Henry Cavill in Netflix's The Witcher. He's definitely got the perfect chin and jaw for Bond, I'll give him that.

WW_HenryCavill_firstlook_219_DIGITAL-2-e1540996112634.jpg
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    As of now, Turner is in my top 3. Some say he has too much of an “ethnic “ look; if you want to see it, I guess you can. The same could be said about Sean if he was unshaven and had longer hair. He did, in fact play an Arab.
    A great introduction for Turner would be a PTS where he is in mid-mission, deep undercover. He has a full beard and long unkempt hair.
    After completing the mission in spectacular fashion, which entailed the rescue of a gorgeous diplomat, the two rerun to his luxurious suite in a opulent resort.
    The grateful diplomat suggestively asks if there is any way that she could show her appreciation.
    Just then there’s a knock at the door; in walks a dapper gentleman, case in hand . Bond looks at the beautiful woman ans asks if he and the gentleman could have a moment and the two go into the adjoining room,
    After a short period the dapper gentleman exits the room, we hear Bond thank him.
    Bond steps out , toweling his face , he’s clean shaven and his hair is cut . As he opens a bottle of champagne, he looks at her and says “ Forgive me, we haven’t been properly introduced, my name is Bond, James Bond”. The cork pops, “ now where were we. “
    Cue title song
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 6,677
    I must say that, from that list, im still on turners corner. Just keep the poldark scar ;)
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    bondsum wrote: »
    Okay, I thought I'd take that same list again and apply the voice test to it. It's not an exact science by using the operatic system, but I'll give it a go. This is for those that would like Bond to have a good, deep delivery reminiscent of Craig, Dalton and Connery, even to a degree Moore, as the next 007.

So, here again are our main candidates for 2018...

Aiden Turner: — Obviously Irish, Dublin accent. Good and can offer a deep delivery. Voice Type: a mix of Countertenor and Tenor.
    Jamie Dornan: — Obviously Irish, County Down accent. Medium to light tones. Voice Type: Contralto
    Dan Stevens: — Middle England and refined. Medium to light. Voice Type: Contralto
    Richard Madden: — Clearly Scottish with Glaswegian overtones. Medium. Voice Type: Countertenor
    Henry Cavill: — Clearly Middle England. Medium. Voice Type: Countertenor
    Tom Hiddleston: — Very effete, Etonian. Medium to light. Voice Type: Contralto
    Michael Fassbender: — Very Irish with a County Antrim accent. Medium to light. Voice Type: Contralto
    Idris Elba: — Very London. Medium to light tones. Voice Type: Contralto
    Tom Hardy: — London accent. Medium to light, but sometimes with gravelly overtones. Voice Type: a mix of Contralto and Countertenor
    Jack O'Connell: — Very London. Medium to light. Voice Type: Contralto

So what does this prove? Some of these actors have done voice-overs for animated features where their voices have been altered to sound deeper after a little tinkering in Audacity. These include Idris Elba (Star Trek into Darkness, Zootopia, Jungle Book) Dan Stevens (Beauty and the Beast) and Tom Hardy (Bronson, Dark Knight). Also, Fassbender can alter his tonal range with certain ease without the need for Audacity.

My own personal favourites are still Aiden Turner and Dan Stevens, but for different reasons.
    Excellent list @bondsum. Thanks for taking the time to compile (similarly for the all important 'height' list earlier). I didn't realize all the above voice differences and am not entirely familiar with all of these actors, but agree that voice, accent and delivery are critical for a James Bond actor.
    Oh, here's a photo of Henry Cavill in Netflix's The Witcher. He's definitely got the perfect chin and jaw for Bond, I'll give him that.

WW_HenryCavill_firstlook_219_DIGITAL-2-e1540996112634.jpg
    Very Legolas, at least from that photo.
    talos7 wrote: »
    As of now, Turner is in my top 3. Some say he has too much of an “ethnic “ look; if you want to see it, I guess you can. The same could be said about Sean if he was unshaven and had longer hair. He did, in fact play an Arab.
    Yes, agreed. I don't get the ethnic jibes either. The guy has wavy hair and wears it long for Poldark; the beard just gives him a certain amount of anonymity, plus beards are the favoured in-look nowadays. When he has it cut short and the waves taken out, he could easily pass for a Sixties-type Bond. I mean seriously, if it just comes down to hair length then Connery wouldn't have gotten a look-in from the vast majority of people here back in '62.
    @bondsum Contralto is a female voice. You mean baritone?
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 3,333
    Is it? Well, in Hiddleston's case the comparison definitely still stands. I'll go back an re-edit. Cheers
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 19,339
    Is it? Well, in Hiddleston's case the comparison definitely still stands.

Oooh ,I don't think you will be on his Xmas card list this year !!

ec3df64650a66b6c3118472547e65cdc.gif
    Oooh, Hiddleston angry face. (Laughs into sleeve)
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.

Isn't he from Derby?

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea

So true

5bd9d320fc7e9372778b45c7.jpg
    If we come to that (see above), @CommanderRoss, I'll retreat to my bunker to watch the previous films until my body enters the final stages of decay. But never, I will NEVER watch a Bond film made by or for the Y gen as a representative of their culture - or lack off. Damn, those pics scare the living daylights out of me. Now, that's proper Halloween scary!

Isn't he from Derby?

Who, this guy? 0009c51b-800.jpg I don't care where he's from, I don't want him near the role. What on earth made people think he could pull it off?
  • CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    If we come to that (see above), @CommanderRoss, I'll retreat to my bunker to watch the previous films until my body enters the final stages of decay. But never, I will NEVER watch a Bond film made by or for the Y gen as a representative of their culture - or lack off. Damn, those pics scare the living daylights out of me. Now, that's proper Halloween scary!

We aim to please ;-) Happy halloween!

So true

5bd9d320fc7e9372778b45c7.jpg

Hah! That guy is originally from a neighboring town to where I live. :))
    andrew-lincoln-1.jpg
    Leaving Walking Dead possible next Bond Andrew Lincoln
    renno61 wrote: »
    andrew-lincoln-1.jpg
    Leaving Walking Dead possible next Bond Andrew Lincoln

At age 45, wouldn't he be too old by now? It's the same issue with Fassbender, etc.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    Yeah, they'll both be nearly 50 by the time they're starting up the next era. Too old.