Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Just seen Apostle and Dan Stevens is by far for me the best man for the job.

@Shardlake, did you enjoy Apostle?
    boldfinger wrote: »

I did, very different from the Raid but shows what a talent Evans is, been a fan since seeing The Raid on the big screen, I popped my review in the last film you've seen thread if you want to take a read.

I didn't blow me away like those 2 films but seriously look forward to what ever he does next, Stevens was utterly superb.
    I've just endorsed your other post @Shardlake on the movie thread. I totally agree about Dan Stevens, I could quite easily see him as a future 007. He's got the full package IMHO. Though the Apostle ultimately fails as just another Lovecraftian Wicker Man, Stevens demonstrates his versatility in his role. The guy should definitely be given a screen test.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    @Shardlake you've long championed DS, so I will definitely check out The Apostle to watch his performance! I'm looking forward to it!
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Whoever they pick, I'm confident he will be someone who can bring a credible new take and interpretation to the role. After all, the lucky chap will have to carry the fame (and the burden) of Bond for at least 10 years at the slow rate they are turning these out these days, and so he will need to be capable of putting his own indelible stamp on it. That's the way it's always been.

I have some theories on where they may be headed with Bond #007, informed by such varied and unrelated sources as Dominic Cooper, The Fourth Protocol, the MI6_HQ website and Babs herself. I'm still refining my thinking on this, which hopefully can come together better in time as more clues are revealed by the powers that be.
  • The lead in the next Kingsman films seems interesting. He's called Harris Dickinson and got plaudits at last year's Sundance for his film Beach Rats. Also, he got the attention of a certain director (who won't be named) for FX's Getty series.

I think he's got the look of a possible Bond, if the producers decide to go younger.

images?q=tbn:ANd9GcR9ts0tg_CAAMFP1r6gddOeuVOfzYrTrdKK0ubIo-DDJ00GOO6Y

• edited October 2018 Posts: 17,272
    bondjames wrote: »
    Whoever they pick, I'm confident he will be someone who can bring a credible new take and interpretation to the role. After all, the lucky chap will have to carry the fame (and the burden) of Bond for at least 10 years at the slow rate they are turning these out these days, and so he will need to be capable of putting his own indelible stamp on it. That's the way it's always been.

I have some theories on where they may be headed with Bond #007, informed by such varied and unrelated sources as Dominic Cooper, The Fourth Protocol, the MI6_HQ website and Babs herself. I'm still refining my thinking on this, which hopefully can come together better in time as more clues are revealed by the powers that be.

Can you give us a tease about your thoughts, @bondjames? :-)
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883

@Torgeirtrap, if you'll forgive me, I'd prefer to play this close to the vest for now, because what I have in mind may be too far fetched at this point for some and even for me. Sorry for seeming cryptic as a result. I'm anxiously looking for further data points as things progress so I can get some coherence around what is currently just a jumble of ideas and suspicions.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I've just endorsed your other post @Shardlake on the movie thread. I totally agree about Dan Stevens, I could quite easily see him as a future 007. He's got the full package IMHO. Though the Apostle ultimately fails as just another Lovecraftian Wicker Man, Stevens demonstrates his versatility in his role. The guy should definitely be given a screen test.

I did enjoy it, I think it was more the performances and the technical skill, it's Evans taking on a new genre to him but there is enough in there for me to think he shouldn't be written off.

Stevens thought is fantastic regardless of the material, The Guest and this show me he definitely deserves a screentest. I could see Barbara more leaning to him than Cavill or Turner.

He far outstrips both of them in the charisma stakes and that voice is just right for Bond.

@Torgeirtrap, if you'll forgive me, I'd prefer to play this close to the vest for now, because what I have in mind may be too far fetched at this point for some and even for me. Sorry for seeming cryptic as a result. I'm anxiously looking for further data points as things progress so I can get some coherence around what is currently just a jumble of ideas and suspicions.

That perfectly all right, @bondjames! Looking forward to reading what your thoughts are eventually :-)

That perfectly all right, @bondjames! Looking forward to reading what your thoughts are eventually :-)
    Thanks @Torgeirtrap. I'll let you know either way when they announce a decision whether I was on the right track or not and where those earlier comments fit in.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 17,272

Thanks @Torgeirtrap. I'll let you know either way when they announce a decision whether I was on the right track or not and where those earlier comments fit in.

Please do! Haven't paid any attention to comments made by those you mentioned earlier, myself – and I have no opinion where I think EON will take things. If they go for the more lighthearted, standalone mission solution, that won't be surprising. If they continue the same way they have with the Craig era, that won't be surprising either.
  • edited October 2018 Posts: 5,767
    Shardlake wrote: »
    boldfinger wrote: »

I did, very different from the Raid but shows what a talent Evans is, been a fan since seeing The Raid on the big screen, I popped my review in the last film you've seen thread if you want to take a read.

I didn't blow me away like those 2 films but seriously look forward to what ever he does next, Stevens was utterly superb.
    Cool, will check out your review!

I watched Fukunaga´s Beasts of no Nation and am mightily impressed. That film brings across so much on different Levels. And I doubt Idris Elba was this intense in any other film so far.
    I started to watch Maniac and lost interest after two and a half episodes.

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Journalism at its finest.
    Madden may have already had his 15 minutes.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 4,043
    I'll believe it when it's announced, why would they be talking about the next person for the role when we haven't started shooting Bond 25?

This is not how it works? I very much doubt BB is considering people for the role yet, she is more likely going to see how DC feels about possibly returning knowing her, unless he's catergorically said no more.

Even if this is Craig's last time definitive we are at least 4 years away from Bond 26, this just doesn't add up and stinks of tabloid BS.

I wouldn't be against Madden but alot could happen between now and the next Bond. Unless they are looking to lock him in now but they've never done this before and the new Bond normally gets announced officially at the point they do the press conference for the new film.

Craig's appointment was rumoured but only leaked to the press right before the press conference and only EON confirmed at the CR press conference.

After all the stories of Idris Elba being supposedly being considered for the role by BB being debunked as tabloid BS I would take this with a very minute pinch of salt.

• SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    I'm sure Madden can be a good actor in the right role, my main reference for him is 'The Take' (aka Bastille Day) - Idris Elba totally commands the screen, Madden seemed pretty forgettable.

I rather like the suggestion of Dan Stevens.
    Satorious wrote: »
    I'm sure Madden can be a good actor in the right role, my main reference for him is 'The Take' (aka Bastille Day) - Idris Elba totally commands the screen, Madden seemed pretty forgettable.
    Absolutely so. He was completely overshadowed by Elba in that film.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Well, his role was wimpy in that film to begin with, whereas Elba's character was the tough brute.
    Well, his role was wimpy in that film to begin with, whereas Elba's character was the tough brute.
    It's certainly true, but I felt he wasn't in the same league in the physical size or charisma stakes either. I have yet to see Bodyguard (hopefully soon).
  • peterpeter Toronto
    The Bodyguard is terrific. Madden turns in a wonderfully layered performance. But this is utter nonsense about BB approaching him now, unless she's dumped DC, or DC's dumped her. And that's assuming that kind of split didn't get leaked to the media. And now BB is working covertly to slip Madden into the role over the next few days. She locks him. An announcement is made by Friday....

Ridiculous.

And, unfortunately, Madden is quite short. Good actor with lots of talent. Just noticeably short.
  • SatoriousSatorious Brushing up on a little Danish
    Yes, he was wimpy. I believe he could have done more in the part as he was playing the comic relief role "buddy" role. I found him a bit dull and uncharismatic. I'm not saying he's like this in every role, but I find the comparison interesting as it's opposite Elba (who seems to get a lot of traction with the public as a Daniel Craig replacement)
    Satorious wrote: »
    Yes, he was wimpy. I believe he could have done more in the part as he was playing the comic relief role "buddy" role. I found him a bit dull and uncharismatic. I'm not saying he's like this in every role, but I find the comparison interesting as it's opposite Elba (who seems to get a lot of traction with the public as a Daniel Craig replacement)

Madden was great both in The Bodyguard and GofT though. Okay, he was adequate in The Bodyguard but still.
    I suppose we'll have to start a Richard Madden film group thread now and watch all of his movies, and or television together.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    Are people really taking this rumour seriously?
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    No, but it’s out there and both he and Bond benefit by being in the public eye.
    edited October 2018 Posts: 23,883
    jake24 wrote: »
    Are people really taking this rumour seriously?
    I'm over 90% sure that Madden won't be the next Bond, especially after what I've read today.
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    talos7 wrote: »
    No, but it’s out there and both he and Bond benefit by being in the public eye.

True but I find it odd that some people here get so triggered by tabloid bs. We know it's all rubbish and yet some people get so worked up. It's bizarre.