Who should/could be a Bond actor?

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    I loved McMahon in Nip/Tuck, but given that he's all but disappeared from the limelight since that show ended, it's probably a good thing he didn't get the role of Bond.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    "Eyed" and "after Bond 25". Words in the same sentence will put the article immediately to rest.
  • Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    talos7 wrote: »

Would love for it to be true, but this is essentially an unconfirmed/gossip movie news site quoting another gossip site, so I'd take it with a grain of salt (especially because I can only assume they aren't thinking about the next actor yet with Craig still set to return).
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    It would be a dream come true that's for sure. :-bd
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    Yep, chatter...
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    I reckon he'd probably be a bit too much wooden for my liking. That along with the fact everyone knows him already puts me off. Cavill is a good looking bloke, but he has acting range like the length of his nose.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Murdock wrote: »
    It would be a dream come true that's for sure. :-bd
    If only.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I read the article and it just seems like a cobbled together summary of info from previous news releases and musings. Presumably he will be in the mix given he was screentested previously and has expressed an interest
  • peterpeter Toronto
    I reckon he'd probably be a bit too much wooden for my liking. That along with the fact everyone knows him already puts me off. Cavill is a good looking bloke, but he has acting range like the length of his nose.

I agree... especially about his acting chops.

I think he has a little bit of a snowball's chance in hell; just a snowball's chance.... to become Bond...

... Actually less than that...
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,767
    fanbond123 wrote: »
    Shoe lifts!

Appear taller with these high-quality air cushion shoe lifts. This innovative technology gives your feet enhanced support, comfort and flexibility. They are extremely comfortable and moulds to the shape of the foot. They are extremely durable and strong and will last for a lifetime. Made from high quality air cushion with flexible high fibre blah blah blah....
    ;)
    Q (Looking down at Bond): "Now pay Attention, 007! This Invention I am particularly proud of...."

• CommanderRossCommanderRoss The bottom of a pitch lake in Eastern Trinidad, place called La Brea
    bondjames wrote: »
    I read the article and it just seems like a cobbled together summary of info from previous news releases and musings. Presumably he will be in the mix given he was screentested previously and has expressed an interest

Perhaps this thread comes up too high in google searches these days?

Perhaps this thread comes up too high in google searches these days?
    Ha ha.

Not quite. Cavill is getting some airtime because he has a pretty big profile, has recently commented on his interest in the coveted role, and has a potential opening given his Supes gig may be up.

Plus the market is up for a change. It's been a long time and this remains the ongoing topic of interest re: Bond these days. Fukunaga will change that momentarily, but the rags will be back to their favourite ongoing pastime once the next '30' something up and comer makes a splash on some tv show or film.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I'm in agreement with you @bondjames, Cavill has been getting more airtime due to the points that you've raised. Which is why it's important not to forget some of the other contenders that haven fallen by the wayside, such as Dan Stevens, who was one of my first suggestions after seeing The Guest. Seems like he has a new movie coming out directed by the great Gareth Evans. Sure, Stevens has lost that bulked-up physique he gained for The Guest, but it would've been entirely inappropriate for him to have such a body in this new horror movie. The one thing I like about Stevens is that he has the height (6ft) and it's clearly evident in every shot that he's in, towering over most of his co-stars. He's currently 35 years-old. Check out the trailer for The Apostle that I've posted on the horror thread.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    bondsum wrote: »
    I'm in agreement with you @bondjames, Cavill has been getting more airtime due to the points that you've raised. Which is why it's important not to forget some of the other contenders that haven fallen by the wayside, such as Dan Stevens, who was one of my first suggestions after seeing The Guest. Seems like he has a new movie coming out directed by the great Gareth Evans. Sure, Stevens has lost that bulked-up physique he gained for The Guest, but it would've been entirely inappropriate for him to have such a body in this new horror movie. The one thing I like about Stevens is that he has the height (6ft) and it's clearly evident in every shot that he's in, towering over most of his co-stars. He's currently 35 years-old. Check out the trailer for The Apostle that I've posted on the horror thread.

Oh nice, the Apostle looks great. Glad to see him back.
    Dan Stevens was definitly a top choice for me after seeing the Guest.
    He has the needed intensity, but also the charisma and humor as seen in The Guest.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Cavill has improved slightly over the years. He's a passable screen actor now, when he used to be awful. He was okay in Mission Impossible - did the job and didn't ruin any of his scenes. I don't want him as Bond personally though. If Cubby were still around I wouldn't be surprised if he got a crack at it - as back then Cubby used to go back to actors he'd had his eyes on for years. I don't see Cavill being Bab's type though. If EON holds on to the franchise I think she'd want a more interesting actor. I mean, if they were going down the more lightweight actor route, they'd have to do much better IMO - Chris Hemsworth being an obvious example.

I don't think Babs is interested in just banging out Brosnan era type movies any more though. It holds no appeal to her. There's no challenge or variety left for her in going down that route.

And even if EON sells up, I think a large studio might want someone with a bit more edge. Man From UNCLE hardly set the box office on fire and Cavill again sort of glided through without making much impression. I can see some fans might like that kind of thing - the tasteless white bread approach to Bond films, but I don't believe anyone at EON or the big studios would be keen on that. Even the Marvel and Star Wars films these days are always trying to push the envelope a bit more these days.

According to Wikipedia, Tom Cruise was originally going to play Solo in UNCLE - that would have been a much better film I suspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cavill

• edited September 2018 Posts: 17,335
    Funny reading Dan Stevens mentioned again; he came to mind the last time I read comments on this thread. He hasn't been any worse than other names suggested in the few things I've seen him in. It might be just me, but he sometimes kind of looks like a less rugged (young) Craig:
    tumblr_ngxuedcAjf1so3dl0o6_500.gif 3l20.gifDaniel%20Craig%20i%20James%20Bond:%20Skyfall the-guest.jpg
    I watched The Apostle trailer which you posted on the other thread @bondsum. I may have to check that out when it debuts. Suitably chilling. Yes, Stevens has been mentioned here before as I recall. I've only seen him in Downton Abbey and he made a reasonable impression on me there. I've heard of The Guest but have yet to see that one.

He has a suitable look and I'd be open to him because, as you said, he has the height and is age appropriate.
    --
    Getafix wrote: »
    According to Wikipedia, Tom Cruise was originally going to play Solo in UNCLE - that would have been a much better film I suspect.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Henry_Cavill
    Yes, there's a bit of a story there. Cruise was originally up for Solo and that's where he met Cavill for the first time (during auditions). He then exited to co-produce and star in MI:RN, and Cavill took his place. Cruise then moved MI:RN up from its original December 2015 release slot to August 2015, where it decimated Uncle at the box office. There's a rumour that he offered Cavill the role in MI:Fallout as consolation for ruining his big moment in the spy/thriller genre.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 3,333
    I mean, if they were going down the more lightweight actor route, they'd have to do much better IMO - Chris Hemsworth being an obvious example.
    I think the main sticking point with Chris Hemsworth will be over his huge salary demands. He's already put the kibosh on appearing in Star Trek 4, dropping out of negotiations alongside Chris Pine. The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Personally, I just don't honestly see Eon going for a Hollywood A-list actor, despite some of my previous posts supporting such a move, due to their excessive wage demands. It's not inconceivable, but highly unlikely when the studios will probably want to hold the line on future escalating budgets. In saying that, I feel that Cavill still holds an advantage over Hemsworth because he's English, and if we're being honest here, he looks more like an archetypal James Bond than Hemsworth does. Acting-schmackting, not many people honestly care about whether Bond should be played by a bona fide thespian. I certainly know I don't. I just want someone that looks like Bond should look, and moves like Bond should move, and preferably with a baritone voice. Hemsworth fulfils the last part, certainly, he also fulfils the height requirement. Though I think he might be just a bit too grungy, Australian and A-list for OO7.
    I watched The Apostle trailer which you posted on the other thread @bondsum. I may have to check that out when it debuts. Suitably chilling. Yes, Stevens has been mentioned here before as I recall. I've only seen him in Downton Abbey and he made a reasonable impression on me there. I've heard of The Guest but have yet to see that one.

He has a suitable look and I'd be open to him because, as you said, he has the height and is age appropriate.
    Yeah, The Apostle looks great. My kind of horror movie. And Dan Stevens looks suitably well-cast in his role. I still like Stevens and think he's still a future contender that shouldn't be ruled out. He can bulk-up again, that's not a problem.
    Funny reading Dan Stevens mentioned again; he came to mind the last time I read comments on this thread. He hasn't been any worse than other names suggested in the few things I've seen him in. It might be just me, but he sometimes kind of looks like a less rugged (young) Craig:
    tumblr_ngxuedcAjf1so3dl0o6_500.gif 3l20.gifDaniel%20Craig%20i%20James%20Bond:%20Skyfall the-guest.jpg
    I don´t see the resemblance to Craig, but those shots certainly compliment Dan Stevens.

Looking longer at the pics, I can see a resemblance in that both don´t look the part superficially, but have something commanding in them. At least judging by those pics.
    I mean, if they were going down the more lightweight actor route, they'd have to do much better IMO - Chris Hemsworth being an obvious example.
    I think the main sticking point with Chris Hemsworth will be over his huge salary demands. He's already put the kibosh on appearing in Star Trek 4, dropping out of negotiations alongside Chris Pine. The deal points came down to the usual suspect: money. Personally, I just don't honestly see Eon going for a Hollywood A-list actor, despite some of my previous posts supporting such a move, due to their excessive wage demands. It's not inconceivable, but highly unlikely when the studios will probably want to hold the line on future escalating budgets. In saying that, I feel that Cavill still holds an advantage over Hemsworth because he's English, and if we're being honest here, he looks more like an archetypal James Bond than Hemsworth does. Acting-schmackting, not many people honestly care about whether Bond should be played by a bona fide thespian. I certainly know I don't. I just want someone that looks like Bond should look, and moves like Bond should move, and preferably with a baritone voice. Hemsworth fulfils the last part, certainly, he also fulfils the height requirement. Though I think he might be just a bit too grungy, Australian and A-list for OO7.

Yeah, The Apostle looks great. My kind of horror movie. And Dan Stevens looks suitably well-cast in his role. I still like Stevens and think he's still a future contender that shouldn't be ruled out. He can bulk-up again, that's not a problem.

I don't think Bond needs to be played by a thesp. Connery was not classically trained and was the best of the lot. Brosnan did stage school, trod the boards etc. and was in my opinion the least successful in the role.

All I'm saying is that if EON want a more lighthearted Bond (and are putting less of an emphasis on dramatic heft) then they need someone with more charisma and better comic ability than Cavill - hence why I mentioned Hemsworth, as he has both in spades.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator

I don't think Bond needs to be played by a thesp. Connery was not classically trained and was the best of the lot. Brosnan did stage school, trod the boards etc. and was in my opinion the least successful in the role.

All I'm saying is that if EON want a more lighthearted Bond (and are putting less of an emphasis on dramatic heft) then they need someone with more charisma and better comic ability than Cavill - hence why I mentioned Hemsworth, as he has both in spades.

I do agree. Film acting and stage acting are different animals entirely, and demand a totally different skillset.

Connery had that animal magnetism, and most importantly knew how to underplay Bond. It was all there in the slightest movement of a facial muscle. He was outstanding.
    And its why people think he was 'bored' in YOLT. This faster paced film was not quite so in keeping with Connery's laid back, urbane character and as such it passed him by on occasion. He was just as good as ever and nowhere did he look 'bored' (he was far too professional), but he fitted FRWL and TB better.

I think Brosnan was a little overwhelmed by it all. Four directors in four films with different takes on Bond didn't help, but had they kept Campbell I think they would have worked well together, and Brosnan would have shone more.

Craig was never overwhelmed by the role, and put it out of the park in CR. He captured the Connery cool in that one. He maintained it for QOS, although it was lost in the mayhem. His light hearted Bond in SP didn't sit as well. Give me angst ridden Craig/Bond any day of the week.

Moving forward, of all the stars who have entered the fray - Hiddleston, Hardy, Elba, Stevens, Dournan, Turner etc, - I'm most intrigued by the latest name, Richard Madden. He's the first one I've seen who I think could crack it.

How about Matt Stokoe? He played the mobster in The Bodyguard. Don't know much about him and not sure how good he looks without the beard but he seems to have acting chops and he is 6'2 and not even 30 yet.

I am of two minds about Richard Madden. Sometimes I think his look is right, other times I think he looks like a less muscular, younger, Scottish Arnie. But I think he's got the skills, he can do action and he's a natural womaniser. There were a few scenes in the series where he acted very Bondian.
    I'd frankly be very disappointed if Madden got it, strictly on a looks basis. The proportions are off due to his height to width ratio and he gives off a little too much of another working class plumber vibe. I'm looking forward to finally watching Bodyguard in the next couple of weeks and will have a better idea of my views on his suitability after that.
    ---
    Ludovico wrote: »
    How about Matt Stokoe? He played the mobster in The Bodyguard. Don't know much about him and not sure how good he looks without the beard but he seems to have acting chops and he is 6'2 and not even 30 yet.
    I just googled him and I'm afraid he does nothing for me. A bit generic in my view. There's nothing very interesting about him facially imho.
    I was not advocating for him, merely throwing his name here.
  • NicNacNicNac Administrator, Moderator
    I would say there's nothing wrong with his look at all.

But, it's all about how he delivers on screen. I thought he was good in The Bodyguard
    NicNac wrote: »

But, it's all about how he delivers on screen. I thought he was good in The Bodyguard

I have only seen episode one so the jury is out for me atm,but I am due to start watching the other 5 ,maybe even hit episode 2 tonight if I can.
    barryt007 wrote: »
    NicNac wrote: »

I have only seen episode one so the jury is out for me atm,but I am due to start watching the other 5 ,maybe even hit episode 2 tonight if I can.

If nothing else is great entertainment. It's far fetched but they make it look almost believable and the twists are not too Agatha Christieesque.