No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I fear Bond being killed off would stoke the fires of those calling for the character to change even more.

The logic being, "Well, they can kill him, so why can't they make him an Asian transexual?"

It might be somewhat fitting for the Craig era as a whole, but for the franchise in the long run it would not be a good thing.
  • MurdockMurdock Mr. 2000
    Killing off Bond is as stupid an idea as Brofeld.
  • Or they can end it with Bond in bed with the girl, after having used some spectacular gadget, and make a quip as the camera shifts away.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Enemy of the state
    I am only ok with Bond being killed if it means the villain won, and his plans succeeded.
    But they could do it so the audience doesn't know if Bond died or not. It could work rather well. Like in the FRWL novel, if i recall correctly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Univex wrote: »
    But they could do it so the audience doesn't know if Bond died or not. It could work rather well. Like in the FRWL novel, if i recall correctly.

Schrödinger's Bond.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,461
    Killing off the character would be silly. Suggesting a 007 death leaving the audience with the doubt would be even sillier. They'll never do it.

On the other hand i would be all in for a Fleming finale in the vein of YOLT, with Bond presumed dead by his team while living in some remote places not knowing who he really is.
    Murdock wrote: »

Brofeld idea in comparison to killing off Bond seems like a golden idea.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,423
    matt_u wrote: »
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brofeld idea in comparison to killing off Bond seems like a golden idea.
    I hope you're not serious.

"Golden" would be a bit too much of a stretch.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 5,652
    Schrödinger's Bond.
    Exactly!

On another note, it just dawned me that we could have the best looking film of the entire series, cinematography wise. SF has IMO the upper hand so far in that department, with Deakins astonishingly crisp look. But looking at some of Fukunaga's work, I can't help but hope it will be surpassed, and then some - because of the way he shoots, with a clear Kubrick influence. In fact, one could argue he has his Barry Lyndon (Jane Eyre), his Full Metal Jacket (Beasts of no Nation), his Clockwork Orange (Maniac),... Point being that he can be quite eclectic and versatile. But he always, always seems to have a penchant for the aesthetics.

Funny thing, the two other very known Kubrick maniacs are Spielberg (who chose Fukunaga for the Napoleon series) and Nolan (who, I think, supervised some recent restoration of some Kubrick films and commented on them - I think it was 2001).
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,461
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever. The "daddy asked me to treat him as a foster brother for just two winters" angle is just a relatively small theme in the movie.
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever.

Seemingly killing him, making it look like it's possible Bond is dead. Doing it at the beginning of the film doesn't count (SF), because you know he'll be back after the opening titles. But do it at the end, and the get the "James Bond will Return" after the credits and it could be quite effective. Even if only to introduce Bond 7 in Bond 26.

But this is just a stupid rumour, probably.
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever.

Seemingly killing him, making it look like it's possible Bond is dead. Doing it at the beginning of the film doesn't count (SF), because you know he'll be back after the opening titles. But do it at the end, and the get the "James Bond will Return" after the credits and it could be quite effective. Even if only to introduce Bond 7 in Bond 26.

But this is just a stupid rumour, probably.

Yes, probably. But James Bond is not a TV series an I would be annoyed by a finale so open to interpretation. I'd prefer a finale more in the vein of YOLT than FRWL, speaking about a potential Bond death.
    For the sake of variety, I would rather have B25 end with Craig's Bond finally getting laid, as opposed to the non traditional Craig endings we've been subjected to.

Leave the "killing off an iconic character" rubbish to Marvel and Star Wars.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    For the sake of variety, I would rather have B25 end with Craig's Bond finally getting laid, as opposed to the non traditional Craig endings we've been subjected to.

Leave the "killing off an iconic character" rubbish to Marvel and Star Wars.
    +1
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 552
    The only thing I've seen of Fukunaga's work is JANE EYRE, which I found almost completely forgettable. Some of you are clattering on about the guy's amazing visual aesthetics, but I can't recall a single shot from that film. Oddly enough, I have a much better memory of the 1970s BBC production (starring Timothy Dalton), probably because that version didn't have any pretensions beyond its faithfulness to the novel.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    No Bond death as much as i love some of the book endings, FRWL noted. No big send off for Craig in any capacity. I would allow for a Connery NSNA wink to the audience, but that’s it. Pass the baton cleanly. End with him shagging some babe on a life raft or under a parachute, whatever. The role is bigger than Craig and it should be passed on as such.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 777
    Interesting piece here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-bond-25-finale-cary-fukunaga-1202005592/

This writer basically says that Craig desires a very FRWL-inspired finale to his tenure and speaks a bit about the pathway the concept's taken from the original P&W treatment through the Boyle-Hodge version.

Not sure if it's accurate. But very, very interesting if true. Suggests that Craig & Co. are quite intent on closing out his era on a similar note to the one he came in on.
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    End with him shagging some babe on a life raft or under a parachute, whatever.

Missionary position? From behind, perhaps?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Interesting piece here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-bond-25-finale-cary-fukunaga-1202005592/

This writer basically says that Craig desires a very FRWL-inspired finale to his tenure and speaks a bit about the pathway the concept's taken from the original P&W treatment through the Boyle-Hodge version.

Not sure if it's accurate. But very, very interesting if true. Suggests that Craig & Co. are quite intent on closing out his era on a similar note to the one he came in on.

A FRWL literary ending could be just as appropriate as YOLT one.
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen of Fukunaga's work is JANE EYRE, which I found almost completely forgettable. Some of you are clattering on about the guy's amazing visual aesthetics, but I can't recall a single shot from that film. Oddly enough, I have a much better memory of the 1970s BBC production (starring Timothy Dalton), probably because that version didn't have any pretensions beyond its faithfulness to the novel.

You need to watch True Detective.
    JP_NED wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    I think we should expect return of Vesper is growing again.

Why?

Vesper is extremely dead. This will not occur.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 684
    They've mined the final Fleming novels fairly well in the last two with SF (YOLT, TMWTGG) and SP (TB, OHMSS), so I'm good if they go elsewhere for the heart of the plot.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Interesting piece here.

I suppose that's all sounds plausible, given what we've been made aware of. I'm down with a FRWL-like stripped back thriller, in theory. But they should commit to the thriller. Something like Red Sparrow in terms of recent stuff. Action is fine, but make it organic. None for the sake of hitting a set piece beat (i.e. no tacked on sequences that drag on while a building sinks).
  • BirdlesonBirdleson San Jose, CAModerator
    I could give a crap if Craig or anyone else gets an Oscar; that means about zero to me. If If it leaks out that Bond dies, I'm not seeing it. I usually;y don't ground myself in absolutes, but that is one, and I will stick to it.
  • Seriously, if they do another FRWL based movie I might flip. Even the prospect is insanely exciting.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Exclusive: Andy Palmer on Apprenticeships, Ferrari, James Bond and Aston Martin Going Public
    https://autoexpress.co.uk/aston-martin/104715/exclusive-andy-palmer-on-apprenticeships-ferrari-james-bond-and-aston-martin

With Cary Joji Fukunaga just announced as directing the next James Bond movie, will James Bond still be driving an Aston Martin?

Who knows? We have a great relationship with EON. We’ve just announced the DB5 Goldfinger, so the relationship with EON is very current. We don’t take for granted the James Bond connection – it’s something that’s important to us, but we don’t buy it. I personally think that the best James Bond movies have always included an Aston and long may it be so.
    @Birdleson what if it’s ambiguous death?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 15,556
    Where the hell is this "Bond dies" rumour coming from really? Nothing concrete, I presume?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I could give a crap if Craig or anyone else gets an Oscar; that means about zero to me. If If it leaks out that Bond dies, I'm not seeing it. I usually;y don't ground myself in absolutes, but that is one, and I will stick to it.

+1. If something like that happens, I'd happily get rid of the Craig era DVD's as well. Wouldn't bother watching his films again.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I personally think that the best James Bond movies have always included an Aston and long may it be so.[/i]

My top three certainly have.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hope he delivers a dark and gritty bond spy story more like CR/QOS