No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Good God, she still looks beautiful as ever.
  • DCisaredDCisared Liverpool

I Have a question. I thought I heard a rumor that yond the "creative differences" the real reason Boyle left was because he would not kill off James Bond in the film, and presumably the producers wanted him to do so. Was that a true-ish rumor?

Something is either true or it isn't. The majority of the press would have you believe that they're ITK, but half the time they're as clueless as the rest of us. You could do worse than taking everything you hear in the media (and with Bond in particular) with a massive grain of salt.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    Exploding watches and their equivalent are welcome. Just nothing should be overused.
    I Have a question. I thought I heard a rumor that yond the "creative differences" the real reason Boyle left was because he would not kill off James Bond in the film, and presumably the producers wanted him to do so. Was that a true-ish rumor?

Yes I've seen this inferred elsewhere. Boyle has said since leaving that his love and knowledge of the original Fleming meant there were things he was not willing to contemplate doing with the character.

I do fear there is a strong possibility EON intend to kill Bond.
  • Getafix wrote: »

Yes I've seen this inferred elsewhere. Boyle has said since leaving that his love and knowledge of the original Fleming meant there were things he was not willing to contemplate doing with the character.

Then this Cary hiring makes me think this is even more true. I don't know of his work, but from what I've read about it he does dark films where he likes to take risks. I don;t like where this is heading...
    Getafix wrote: »

If they are doing that then i'm boycotting it,and all of the other 4 Craig films,as I wont be able to stomach watching them,knowing how it all ends .

• Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada

Then this Cary hiring makes me think this is even more true. I don't know of his work, but from what I've read about it he does dark films where he likes to take risks. I don;t like where this is heading...

I have this same suspicion. The fact that he seems to trend more towards suspense and classic horror elements makes me think of the novel YOLT. Where we see the most ambiguous death of bond.
    Well why would Craig come back and why would EON wait nearly 5 years for his last entry? When you add in all these rumours about EON possibly selling up it sort of makes sense. MGW probably won't make another Bond film. Babs seems more interested in other stuff these days. You don't get the sense that making these films is giving them the enjoyment it maybe once did. Where's the next generation of Broccolis to take over?

So for the last Broccoli produced Bond they kill him off, then sell the series off to one of the big studios who do a major reboot.

Perhaps there's a plan out there somewhere for a period set reboot of the whole thing, with some WW2 set origins.
    Exploding watches and their equivalent are welcome. Just nothing should be overused.

Well, reading the above comments made me remember Bond using his rolex as a knuckleduster in the OHMSS novel. Now, that is what I call a good, resistant watch ;) A tie could be used as a garote as well. You don't need to be MacGyver nor have chewing gum and a paper clip to make a Bomb ;)
    barryt007 wrote: »
    Univex wrote: »
    barryt007 wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    I think we should expect return of Vesper is growing again.
    If that happens then I aint going to watch it.
    It really depends on the cleavage.

I find that comment quite 'titillating', Univex.
    Indeed ;)
    So.....the first non-commonwealth, non-british, non-continental director huh?

Not sure how to feel about this. Hopefully Bond's British ambiance is preserved but I'm not holding my breath. I fully expect the steely coldness that plagues most American entertainment. Either that or quip city. These are the two modes American entertainment usually operates in.
  • JP_NEDJP_NED Holland

Why?
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    JP_NED wrote: »

Why?

@M-Balje is a visionary.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    Bentley007 wrote: »

I have this same suspicion. The fact that he seems to trend more towards suspense and classic horror elements makes me think of the novel YOLT. Where we see the most ambiguous death of bond.

If I recall correctly in the novel he nearly dies, suffers a pretty bad head injury and he lose his memory. Then, he leaves the girl and travels to find out more about him. To me, this would be a nice way to close the Craig era. It's Fleming material and it would be a nearly perfect way to close his 5 films circle while leaving the door open for a new actor.

BTW you're right about Fukunaga. Does his choice suggest a loose adaptation of YOLT? Or at least a movie that will bring some elements from this unique Fleming novel? I would say yes. Plus, the placeholder of the movie is Shatterhand, just saying. XD
    How about it ends with Bond in a hospital bed, rejecting knighthood?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    matt_u wrote: »

If I recall correctly in the novel he nearly dies, suffers a pretty bad head injury and he lose his memory. Then, he leaves the girl and travels to find out more about him. To me, this would be a nice way to close the Craig era. It's Fleming material and it would be a nice way to let in a new Bond actor.

BTW you're right about Fukunaga. Does his choice suggest a loose adaptation of YOLT? Or at least a movie that will bring some elements from this unique Fleming novel? I would say yes. Plus, the placeholder of the movie is Shatterhand, just saying. XD

I don't know if this is EONs vision for this film but seems logical and fits with the director choice. I for one would be interested in this being realized on film in Bond25. It wouldn't even have to be a total realization of YOLT but I think this element is one that should be strongly considered

If I recall correctly in the novel he nearly dies, suffers a pretty bad head injury and he lose his memory. Then, he leaves the girl and travels to find out more about him. To me, this would be a nice way to close the Craig era. It's Fleming material and it would be a nice way to let in a new Bond actor.

I don't know if this is EONs vision for this film but seems logical and fits with the director choice. I for one would be interested in this being realized on film in Bond25. It wouldn't even have to be a total realization of YOLT but I think this element is one that should be strongly considered

+1!
    Bond killed off or seemingly killed off at the end ie Logan. Yes please. Would shake things up a bit. May even get Craig an Oscar nom if done well.
    Killing off the character for the sake of leaving the audience in tears and getting them an Oscar? Just when I thought Skyfall couldn't have been topped as the most melodramatic in the franchise. But, please, go ahead with it.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    I fear Bond being killed off would stoke the fires of those calling for the character to change even more.

The logic being, "Well, they can kill him, so why can't they make him an Asian transexual?"

It might be somewhat fitting for the Craig era as a whole, but for the franchise in the long run it would not be a good thing.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Killing off Bond is as stupid an idea as Brofeld.
  • Or they can end it with Bond in bed with the girl, after having used some spectacular gadget, and make a quip as the camera shifts away.
    I am only ok with Bond being killed if it means the villain won, and his plans succeeded.
    But they could do it so the audience doesn't know if Bond died or not. It could work rather well. Like in the FRWL novel, if i recall correctly.
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    But they could do it so the audience doesn't know if Bond died or not. It could work rather well. Like in the FRWL novel, if i recall correctly.

Schrödinger's Bond.
    Killing off the character would be silly. Suggesting a 007 death leaving the audience with the doubt would be even sillier. They'll never do it.

On the other hand i would be all in for a Fleming finale in the vein of YOLT, with Bond presumed dead by his team while living in some remote places not knowing who he really is.
    Murdock wrote: »

Brofeld idea in comparison to killing off Bond seems like a golden idea.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 15,423
    Murdock wrote: »
    Brofeld idea in comparison to killing off Bond seems like a golden idea.
    I hope you're not serious.

"Golden" would be a bit too much of a stretch.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,665
    Schrödinger's Bond.
    Exactly!

On another note, it just dawned me that we could have the best looking film of the entire series, cinematography wise. SF has IMO the upper hand so far in that department, with Deakins astonishingly crisp look. But looking at some of Fukunaga's work, I can't help but hope it will be surpassed, and then some - because of the way he shoots, with a clear Kubrick influence. In fact, one could argue he has his Barry Lyndon (Jane Eyre), his Full Metal Jacket (Beasts of no Nation), his Clockwork Orange (Maniac),... Point being that he can be quite eclectic and versatile. But he always, always seems to have a penchant for the aesthetics.

Funny thing, the two other very known Kubrick maniacs are Spielberg (who chose Fukunaga for the Napoleon series) and Nolan (who, I think, supervised some recent restoration of some Kubrick films and commented on them - I think it was 2001).
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever. The "daddy asked me to treat him as a foster brother for just two winters" angle is just a relatively small theme in the movie.
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever.

Seemingly killing him, making it look like it's possible Bond is dead. Doing it at the beginning of the film doesn't count (SF), because you know he'll be back after the opening titles. But do it at the end, and the get the "James Bond will Return" after the credits and it could be quite effective. Even if only to introduce Bond 7 in Bond 26.

But this is just a stupid rumour, probably.