No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• peterpeter Toronto
    Deadline's review of Fukunga's Maniac:

https://deadline.com/video/maniac-review-cary-fukunaga-emma-stone-jonah-hill-netflix-video/

Getting ready to binge watch in t-minus 12 hours.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    bondsum wrote: »
    I entirely agree with your assessment @JeremyBondon. The GQ article is just trying to be street hipster with its inclusion of Elba, hip-hop title track, and just where the hell does Julianne Moore come into it all? It's total nonsense, apart from suggesting that Bond should be confident enough to be its own beast. Okay, we've all griped about the overuse of global surveillance being one of the driving points in the most recent Bond flicks, but that's hardly a revelation. We've all pretty much said it on these boards; myself included.

Like yourself, I guess that I just despise these inconsequential articles that pop up when a new announcement is made.

Anyway, I'm still buzzing at what Fukunaga can bring to Craig's last outing.

Hear, hear. Truth!
  • peter wrote: »
    Deadline's review of Fukunga's Maniac:

https://deadline.com/video/maniac-review-cary-fukunaga-emma-stone-jonah-hill-netflix-video/

Getting ready to binge watch in t-minus 12 hours.

That's a seriously impressive review. I'm going to give it my full attention, once I finish series 6 of the Americans.
  • I’m very excited to see who Fukunaga’s brings on as his DP. I was always intrigued by Danny Boyle’s potential choice as his films have such a distinct visual style. However, Fukunaga’s photography is much more suited to my taste.

The first series of True Detective is a fantastic and Jane Eyre was wonderfully shot. I’m not sure about Maniac from the trailers, it has a slightly flat ‘workman’ quality to it, but I think they may be deliberate considering the retro-future take on the material.

But these screencaps from True Detective are beautiful

tumblr_n1wdapX6ha1qe3hnzo2_500.png
    rust-cohle-true-detective-hallucination1.gif
    tumblr_n2am21npSH1s6tlcho1_500.jpg
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Jane Eyre has a Barry Lyndon scope to it in some frames, very very well shot. And those screen caps of True Detective are really something. Man has vision, that's for sure.

Much more to my liking than Dany Boyle, I was never a fan of anything of his, really, not even the Trainspotting flicks, which are groundbreaking and innovative, sure, but not my cup of tea. Being a hardcore Kubrick fan, Fukunaga suits my cinematic tastes on all accounts.

And now I guess I can say it, that olympics gig with the Queen and Daniel was cringeworthy, those shots of the Corgis going down the stairs in slow motion, and the colours, ... I know the mood was solemn because of the Queen, but I found it dreadful.

So glad Fukunaga is on the director's chair. Let's just hope he takes seat in some other chairs during the production (writer, cinematographer, ...)

DOSnZ5pX4AAx9Rs.jpg
    tumblr_nss10aRiIt1qetb0ho1_1280.png
    Just ordered the DVDs for True Detective Season 1. Looks impressive.
  • patb wrote: »
    Just ordered the DVDs for True Detective Season 1. Looks impressive.

It's terrific. It's a fairly routine detective/thriller but with a fascinating philosophical bent. It may be a bit ponderous and undergraduate-y at times, but it's execution is haunting and poetic. Matthew McConaughey's character, Rust Cohle, has become an instant iconic character.

The show was one of the first to cement the notion that the director could have a large influence on television (wildly considering a writer's medium). You can feel Fukunaga's bravura filmmaking spirit in that series. It's his best work by a long shot and put him on the A-list.

I think it's the main reason he fell out with the writer, who started to see that Fukunaga's influence was too heavily incorporated into the programme. It's the main reason that Fukunaga didn't return for season 2 and why there was such a gaping gap in quality (season 2 is a taste of time). Also, there have been reports that the writer got the director of the upcoming season 3 of True Detective fired. I think he may just be trouble.

Apparently, the writer wanted Fukunaga to cut the tracking shot. What utter madness!
    https://www.gq.com/story/cary-fukunaga-netflix-maniac
  • BennyBenny In the shadowsAdministrator, Moderator
    Not to be the resident pessimist around here, but I'm not seeing how the mere announcement of Fukunaga insures Bond 25 will be the best send off, and live up to CR. Who knows, maybe I can be won over, but I'll wait til I actually see the film before I make a judgement on that. Right now, I'm not feeling it. Kinda feels like they chose someone out of a hat.

There’s no pleasing some people.
    With the departure of Boyle we got complaints that there was no news. Then with the announcement of director and revised release date, the complaints continue.
    I don’t know a lot about Mr.Fukunaga, but EON and the studio wouldn’t settle for him on a whim.
    I’m quite impressed we got a new director and confirmation of a new schedule release so soon after Boyle.
    EON have obviously been busy getting things back on track.

Benny wrote: »
    Not to be the resident pessimist around here, but I'm not seeing how the mere announcement of Fukunaga insures Bond 25 will be the best send off, and live up to CR. Who knows, maybe I can be won over, but I'll wait til I actually see the film before I make a judgement on that. Right now, I'm not feeling it. Kinda feels like they chose someone out of a hat.

There’s no pleasing some people.
    With the departure of Boyle we got complaints that there was no news. Then with the announcement of director and revised release date, the complaints continue.
    I don’t know a lot about Mr.Fukunaga, but EON and the studio wouldn’t settle for him on a whim.
    I’m quite impressed we got a new director and confirmation of a new schedule release so soon after Boyle.
    EON have obviously been busy getting things back on track.

Indeed..they deserve credit for that,shows things are going well.

Yes very disappointing. But last chance before it can delay still 2022 when the 60th Anniversary come of James Bondage franchise.
  • Goldeneye0094Goldeneye0094 Conyers, GA
    With cary fukunaga now director I wonder if it's likely we will get emma stone in a bond film
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    boldfinger wrote: »
    Getafix wrote: »
    Why should iPhones and tablets feature heavily?

Did old style telephones and typewriters feature heavily in the old Bond films?

There is nothing more mundane and unglamorous than everyday tech. It's one of the reasons I dislike SF to much - this over reliance on dumb laptops. Who wants to be reminded of their day job and the office while watching Bond?

The early Bond films featured fantasy technology that at the time seemed it was still a way off (like the tracking device in GF that is now standard in all phones and cars).

Bond's use of mobile phones, earpieces and the like should be kept to an absolute minimum - preferably zero.
    That js exactly what I mean with application vs appearance. Of course nobody wants to be reminded of his day job when he watches Bond. But any device can be used this way or that way. If the use is so unimaginative that people are reminded of their day job, that is comparable to a film's pace leaving room for contemplating plotholes.
    Good point about the tech. CR in particular arguably overuses the mobile phone shtick, and just one year before the iphone changed the landscape forever! So it looks particularly dated in places on account of this despite being just over a decade old. The same goes for portions of QoS but it's more acceptable because Bond picks up a dumb phone in a remote part of Haiti (I think). Moreover, the MI6 HQ in that film with all the tech screens still looks pretty funky today, and is almost Tony Stark'ish in modernity.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,677
    bondjames wrote: »
    The same goes for portions of QoS but it's more acceptable because Bond picks up a dumb phone in a remote part of Haiti (I think). Moreover, the MI6 HQ in that film with all the tech screens still looks pretty funky today, and is almost Tony Stark'ish in modernity.

Nah, it's his own Sony/Ericsson ;) with a built in slide camera he uses at the opera later on. I had that phone, made me feel like I had a Minox Riga from the 30's, and I don't even like handhelds, but I do like my cameras ;)

I hated the Mi6 HQ in QOS, you're right, too much Stark Industries apparel. Give me a fountain pen and a knife hidden in a attaché case instead of holographic projections any day of the week. I like mechanical gadgets more. And they should really go for it again, since the other kind of tech is overly abundant in every teen's pocket.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Univex wrote: »
    The same goes for portions of QoS but it's more acceptable because Bond picks up a dumb phone in a remote part of Haiti (I think). Moreover, the MI6 HQ in that film with all the tech screens still looks pretty funky today, and is almost Tony Stark'ish in modernity.

Nah, it's his own Sony/Ericsson ;) with a built in slide camera he uses at the opera later on. I had that phone, made me feel like I had a Minox Riga from the 30's, and I don't even like handhelds, but I do like my cameras ;)
    That's right! Forgot about that. Even more egregious then, given the iphone had already been out for a year. Shame.
    I hated the Mi6 HQ in QOS, you're right, too much Stark Industries apparel. Give me a fountain pen and a knife hidden in a attaché case instead of holographic projections any day of the week. I like mechanical gadgets more. And they should really go for it again, since the other kind of tech is overly abundant in every teen's pocket.
    You have a point, and one day the MI6 HQ in QoS will look as dated as the mobile phones look now. I have to say that I loved seeing the old office at the end of SF, but now looking back on it the QoS HQ modernity looks more realistic for a Bond style universe than the Q lab in SP for instance, which seems almost quaint in comparison (I realize they got round that by suggesting that MI6 was still rebuilding itself, but still). It's a fine line, and perhaps the best route forward would be to have Bond get his briefing in M's old style office and then head off to a really high tech contemporary or advanced looking Q lab.

The trouble also is that tech is advancing so rapidly these days that it's difficult to stay ahead of the curve. Moore's Law at work. What could be advanced now will date in just a few years, whereas from the 60s to the 80s (or even arguably the early 90s) there was perhaps less speed in progression.

I prefer old mechanical gadgets too. Analogue automatic watch user and classic car driver here.
    I prefer old mechanical gadgets too. Analogue automatic watch user and classic car driver here.
    My preferences as well, my friend. And in my two lines of work, a fountain pen in my hand all day long.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    This from the Deadline review of Maniac is both exciting and comforting.

“There are more than a few moments in Netflix’s 10-episode Cary Joji Fukunaga-directed Maniac that are so aesthetically precise you might forget to breathe for a beat or two.”
  • bondjames wrote: »

That's right! Forgot about that. Even more egregious then, given the iphone had already been out for a year. Shame.
    You have a point, and one day the MI6 HQ in QoS will look as dated as the mobile phones look now. I have to say that I loved seeing the old office at the end of SF, but now looking back on it the QoS HQ modernity looks more realistic for a Bond style universe than the Q lab in SP for instance, which seems almost quaint in comparison (I realize they got round that by suggesting that MI6 was still rebuilding itself, but still). It's a fine line, and perhaps the best route forward would be to have Bond get his briefing in M's old style office and then head off to a really high tech contemporary or advanced looking Q lab.

The trouble also is that tech is advancing so rapidly these days that it's difficult to stay ahead of the curve. Moore's Law at work. What could be advanced now will date in just a few years, whereas from the 60s to the 80s (or even arguably the early 90s) there was perhaps less speed in progression.

I think the Bourne films did a good job of this - when he arrives in Italy from Tangiers and has some fake number plates, a SIM card cloner, and a few bits like that.

Similarly, I think improvisation is good workaround for this. Rather than 'tech gadgets' that are dated quickly, there's something to being clever about re-working the things around you to help in a particular situation.
    I'm sure it will be an Oscar worthy script.
    octofinger wrote: »

I think the Bourne films did a good job of this - when he arrives in Italy from Tangiers and has some fake number plates, a SIM card cloner, and a few bits like that.

Similarly, I think improvisation is good workaround for this. Rather than 'tech gadgets' that are dated quickly, there's something to being clever about re-working the things around you to help in a particular situation.

The Bourne films dealt with it well. The stuff itself was not supposed to be cool- it's what Bourne does with it that is nifty. And Bourne is a different more claustrophobic world, deliberately and brilliantly playing on fears of surveillance and the almost impossibility of going off the grid.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,441
    14 February is the birthday and month of Lois Maxwell

I read a review of Jane Eyre (2011) that the story is told by Flashbacks and audio can give you claustrofobisch feeling. And he is fan of natural light. Possible mean filming on film i hope.

And tv series he direct use difrent order of story telling and flashbacks and flashbacks in flashbacks. And jump from time to time. What i found intresting to read is that there are no quistions any more at the end, if you not lose focus. Of course i hope this mean at the end of Bond 26 everthing is fixed. With Feb 2020 release date i think it is 100% sjure Daniel Craig wil return 2 years and 9 months later or there must have found new Bond already.

I think we should expect return of Vesper is growing again.
    talos7 wrote: »
    This from the Deadline review of Maniac is both exciting and comforting.

“There are more than a few moments in Netflix’s 10-episode Cary Joji Fukunaga-directed Maniac that are so aesthetically precise you might forget to breathe for a beat or two.”
    I very much look forward to viewing this. Stone and Hill are both very watchable actors too. In fact, this Bond thing couldn't be better publicity for his show, come to think of it.
    My preferences as well, my friend. And in my two lines of work, a fountain pen in my hand all day long.
    That's awesome. I hardly have the opportunity to do much writing anymore, but always ensure I print and edit any review documents by hand. I learned a while ago that it's much easier to catch errors that way rather than doing it online (apparently it's something to do with the way the light reflects back to you off the printed page).
    Getafix wrote: »
    octofinger wrote: »

The Bourne films dealt with it well. The stuff itself was not supposed to be cool- it's what Bourne does with it that is nifty. And Bourne is a different more claustrophobic world, deliberately and brilliantly playing on fears of surveillance and the almost impossibility of going off the grid.
    Yes, those examples from The Bourne Supremacy are good. I liked the way they handled it there. Good point about improvisation showing the cleverness of an agent too. They did that very well (without gadgets) during that parkour chase in CR, where Bond was up against a faster and more nimble opponent but found ways to keep up with him. Somehow they completely lost that touch in SP.
    M_Balje wrote: »
    Oh dear, I sincerely hope not!

If that happens then I aint going to watch it.

barryt007 wrote: »
    It really depends on the cleavage.

barryt007 wrote: »
    It really depends on the cleavage.

I find that comment quite 'titillating', Univex.
    yes, the humdrum provides ways for a hero to show their training and improvisation. This happens in Boune alot and something that Bond could learn from. Everyone has a different opinion but I would prefer to see Bond get his way of of a tight situation using his wit rather than a gadget but I could be in a minority.

Obviously this improve was shown in the finale of SF which I loved but some did not.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    patb wrote: »
    yes, the humdrum provides ways for a hero to show their training and improvisation. This happens in Boune alot and something that Bond could learn from. Everyone has a different opinion but I would prefer to see Bond get his way of of a tight situation using his wit rather than a gadget but I could be in a minority.

Obviously this improve was shown in the finale of SF which I loved but some did not.

I absolutely agree. If Bond uses anything it should be grounded and real, not an exploding watch, or whatever. It’s just not necessary. There’s no “wow” factor in outlandish gadgets. We live in a tech world, so watching Bond use his wits would be more original than him getting out of sticky situation by pulling out a convenient tool from Q branch.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    peter wrote: »
    patb wrote: »

I absolutely agree. If Bond uses anything it should be grounded and real, not an exploding watch, or whatever. It’s just not necessary. There’s no “wow” factor in outlandish gadgets. We live in a tech world, so watching Bond use his wits would be more original than him getting out of sticky situation by pulling out a convenient tool from Q branch.

In a movie conceived as a celebration of "all things Bond" is pretty acceptable, imo.
  • peter wrote: »

Indeed. Bond using his human wits to circumvent challenges in spite of technology has become the more interesting of the two angles.

Although I have to admit, I loved the exploding watch. A simple, subtle gadget that comes off as a nice callback the way the film plays it. And, frankly, seemed like a definitely 007-ish thing that I can't believe we hadn't already seen.

• I Have a question. I thought I heard a rumor that yond the "creative differences" the real reason Boyle left was because he would not kill off James Bond in the film, and presumably the producers wanted him to do so. Was that a true-ish rumor?
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia