No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Univex wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Killing off Bond would be the dumbest idea ever.

Seemingly killing him, making it look like it's possible Bond is dead. Doing it at the beginning of the film doesn't count (SF), because you know he'll be back after the opening titles. But do it at the end, and the get the "James Bond will Return" after the credits and it could be quite effective. Even if only to introduce Bond 7 in Bond 26.

But this is just a stupid rumour, probably.

Yes, probably. But James Bond is not a TV series an I would be annoyed by a finale so open to interpretation. I'd prefer a finale more in the vein of YOLT than FRWL, speaking about a potential Bond death.
    For the sake of variety, I would rather have B25 end with Craig's Bond finally getting laid, as opposed to the non traditional Craig endings we've been subjected to.

Leave the "killing off an iconic character" rubbish to Marvel and Star Wars.

• ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    For the sake of variety, I would rather have B25 end with Craig's Bond finally getting laid, as opposed to the non traditional Craig endings we've been subjected to.

Leave the "killing off an iconic character" rubbish to Marvel and Star Wars.
    +1
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 613
    The only thing I've seen of Fukunaga's work is JANE EYRE, which I found almost completely forgettable. Some of you are clattering on about the guy's amazing visual aesthetics, but I can't recall a single shot from that film. Oddly enough, I have a much better memory of the 1970s BBC production (starring Timothy Dalton), probably because that version didn't have any pretensions beyond its faithfulness to the novel.
  • DoctorNoDoctorNo USA-Maryland
    No Bond death as much as i love some of the book endings, FRWL noted. No big send off for Craig in any capacity. I would allow for a Connery NSNA wink to the audience, but that’s it. Pass the baton cleanly. End with him shagging some babe on a life raft or under a parachute, whatever. The role is bigger than Craig and it should be passed on as such.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 820
    Interesting piece here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-bond-25-finale-cary-fukunaga-1202005592/

This writer basically says that Craig desires a very FRWL-inspired finale to his tenure and speaks a bit about the pathway the concept's taken from the original P&W treatment through the Boyle-Hodge version.

Not sure if it's accurate. But very, very interesting if true. Suggests that Craig & Co. are quite intent on closing out his era on a similar note to the one he came in on.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    DoctorNo wrote: »
    End with him shagging some babe on a life raft or under a parachute, whatever.

Missionary position? From behind, perhaps?
  • Bentley007Bentley007 Manitoba, Canada
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Interesting piece here.

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/09/daniel-craig-bond-25-finale-cary-fukunaga-1202005592/

This writer basically says that Craig desires a very FRWL-inspired finale to his tenure and speaks a bit about the pathway the concept's taken from the original P&W treatment through the Boyle-Hodge version.

Not sure if it's accurate. But very, very interesting if true. Suggests that Craig & Co. are quite intent on closing out his era on a similar note to the one he came in on.

A FRWL literary ending could be just as appropriate as YOLT one.
  • Escalus5 wrote: »
    The only thing I've seen of Fukunaga's work is JANE EYRE, which I found almost completely forgettable. Some of you are clattering on about the guy's amazing visual aesthetics, but I can't recall a single shot from that film. Oddly enough, I have a much better memory of the 1970s BBC production (starring Timothy Dalton), probably because that version didn't have any pretensions beyond its faithfulness to the novel.

You need to watch True Detective.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    JP_NED wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    I think we should expect return of Vesper is growing again.

Why?

Vesper is extremely dead. This will not occur.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 684
    They've mined the final Fleming novels fairly well in the last two with SF (YOLT, TMWTGG) and SP (TB, OHMSS), so I'm good if they go elsewhere for the heart of the plot.
    AgentM72 wrote: »
    Interesting piece here.

I suppose that's all sounds plausible, given what we've been made aware of. I'm down with a FRWL-like stripped back thriller, in theory. But they should commit to the thriller. Something like Red Sparrow in terms of recent stuff. Action is fine, but make it organic. None for the sake of hitting a set piece beat (i.e. no tacked on sequences that drag on while a building sinks).
  • Seriously, if they do another FRWL based movie I might flip. Even the prospect is insanely exciting.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    Exclusive: Andy Palmer on Apprenticeships, Ferrari, James Bond and Aston Martin Going Public
    https://autoexpress.co.uk/aston-martin/104715/exclusive-andy-palmer-on-apprenticeships-ferrari-james-bond-and-aston-martin

With Cary Joji Fukunaga just announced as directing the next James Bond movie, will James Bond still be driving an Aston Martin?

Who knows? We have a great relationship with EON. We’ve just announced the DB5 Goldfinger, so the relationship with EON is very current. We don’t take for granted the James Bond connection – it’s something that’s important to us, but we don’t buy it. I personally think that the best James Bond movies have always included an Aston and long may it be so.
    @Birdleson what if it’s ambiguous death?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,241
    Where the hell is this "Bond dies" rumour coming from really? Nothing concrete, I presume?
    Birdleson wrote: »
    I could give a crap if Craig or anyone else gets an Oscar; that means about zero to me. If If it leaks out that Bond dies, I'm not seeing it. I usually;y don't ground myself in absolutes, but that is one, and I will stick to it.

+1. If something like that happens, I'd happily get rid of the Craig era DVD's as well. Wouldn't bother watching his films again.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    I personally think that the best James Bond movies have always included an Aston and long may it be so.[/i]

My top three certainly have.

• JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    I hope he delivers a dark and gritty bond spy story more like CR/QOS
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    So I come back on here and about 100 messages since last comment I read. I skip to the end first to see current chat ... and it's about killing Bond off?! Seriously? I thought this topic had died its final death. Completely, totally wrong, would never be acceptable (let alone a good idea), and I'd rather discuss cinematography style, tone, location possibilities, etc.

I think way too soon to speculate on the script as: a) We don't know P&W points that Hodge picked up on, b) We don't know Hodge and Boyle's other ideas that may or may not have been kept by EON, and c) Cary is a good writer who will contribute in small or more considerable ways to the story. The story (unless I missed a huge spoiler in previous pages here) is basically open at this point, unknown to us. That doesn't bug me. We will know more later.

I think we could possibly get some hints about new crew or locations coming up.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

Well groomed, gone are the long manes. Seems like a top bloke to me. If Bond dies (i.e. not ambiguous) then I'll most likely boycott, too. DaD itself was a gimmick on its own, but Bond dying takes it to a whole new level. So that's that.
    I’m pretty confident it won’t actually happen - killing Bond off. Everyone knows it’s a stupid, uninspired idea. The story could go any number of ways, but I seriously doubt actually killing off Bond. Ambiguous death at most I think - and that would already be pushing it.
    I've been reading comments about Jane Eyre, people very positive about Cary's work on it, saying it was absolutely beautiful. I have not seen it.

I'm not worried about tone or style. I think he is versatile enough. I expect a more serious film, but not a dire one. Realistic, yes. I don't want something that feels copied from past films, and that is one reason why I'm glad Cary is the director because it seems he has the confidence and imagination, vision, to go his own way.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,665
    I've been reading comments about Jane Eyre, people very positive about Cary's work on it, saying it was absolutely beautiful.

It really is. Anyone who says otherwise is blind or a type of blind of his own choosing. This is a brilliantly crafted film from a (then) 33 year old director. Absolutely stunning.

769d5ccd18c47ef052218190770e5dbc.jpg
    63a295b3966e428adce42bbee7434c00.jpg
    00e3a078334e507b2672daa21e09a09d.jpg
    DSPObOSW4AAfEzB.jpg
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    I hope he delivers a dark and gritty bond spy story more like CR/QOS

+1

I think about CR/QoS and I'm still able to get that new special feeling of excitement that was 100% completely absent from SF and SP.
    @Univex Those are stunning images. I must make time to watch Cary’s work.
  • j_w_pepperj_w_pepper Born on the bayou. I can still hear my old hound dog barkin'.
    Quite frankly, I consider the entire idea of the Broccolis intending to kill off Bond a complete nonsense. For one thing, Bond is their cash cow. Not that they desperately need to create further income for the rest of their lives, but it seems a stiff price to pay for deciding it on a whim. So no, why should they?

Killing Bond (unequivocally, at least) would not only mean losing proceeds from further instalments, but also from this one. No later than the first press viewing, everyone will know what happens to the protagonist, and no one (well, almost) will go to see their hero's demise. At least, I won't. I have no desire to see Bond die, even if it's within the scope of the last Bond film ever, which will then be the only Bond movie I haven't seen.

EoN hasn't really left the impression on me to simply blow billions of dollars (euros, pounds) just because the producers are sick and tired of the character. So, fuhgettaboutit. Bond is alive and kicking, and will be after Bond 25 no matter how good or bad that particular movie ends up.
  • matt_u wrote: »
    Killing off the character would be silly. Suggesting a 007 death leaving the audience with the doubt would be even sillier. They'll never do it.

On the other hand i would be all in for a Fleming finale in the vein of YOLT, with Bond presumed dead by his team while living in some remote places not knowing who he really is.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Killing off Bond is as stupid an idea as Brofeld.

The YOLT ending would be a fantastic way to send off Craig’s Bond—just as I’ve always thought it would have made a fantastic ending for Fleming’s novels. Bond is missing, presumed dead. He has amnesia and is being held a willing captive by some girl pregnant with his child in some remote part of the world. Then he discovers something that makes him slowly recall a part of who is, and without truly remembering anything of his past or profession, he heads off, directly into the clutches of some great and terrible enemy to rediscover who he really is. How perfectly Bondian. How truly Fleming. And it would go along with this whole theme they’ve been working on with Bond becoming Bond, etc. Then they can start wherever they want with the next guy. Sounds like something this Fukunaga guy would go in for at least.
    Stunning images! Thanks, @Univex. I need to find a way to view Jane Eyre.

Good to know you loved his film, @Birdleson.
  • Red_Snow wrote: »
    I personally think that the best James Bond movies have always included an Aston and long may it be so.[/i]

My top three certainly have.

Yes, we know, you never shut up about your love for GoldenEye, The World Is Not Enough, and Die Another Day. Give it a rest.
  • BondAficionadoBondAficionado Former IMDBer
    I'm beyond fascinated at Fukunaga being EON's new pick. A complete 180 from Boyle.