No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• MonsieurMerciMonsieurMerci France
    edited September 2018 Posts: 98
    I wonder what will be EON's choice for the score : the safe way (bring back David Arnold), or carry on with new blood :
    Fukunaga's most regular composer seems to be Dan Romer (Maniac, Beasts of No Nation), who's also a songwriter, and artists producer.
    https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Dan_Romer
    Ludovico wrote: »
    RC7 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Ah, and finally this obsolete policy about non hiring american directors is over.

I don’t think that policy has been in place for some time, if it ever really was. It was always a case of the director’s sensibilities and Cary’s style is quite European. I always understood the ‘non-American policy’ as them making it known they wouldn’t be entertaining the Michael Bays and Brett Ratners of this world - brash film makers. Cary’s work is much more refined than that.

Not that it matters, but according to Wikipedia, Fukunaga has lived in France, Japan, Mexico City, and London, and is fluent in French and Spanish. Might have given him a bit of European influence if anything.

The more I read about him the more I like the choice. I was never enthusiastic about Boyle. And thus is proper new blood as well.

Was never keen on Boyle either! Just didn't seem a right fit for Bond! But I know nothing of Fukunagas work..so I need to start researching and watching! True Detective 1 seems a fitting place to start!
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    There could also be time for Craig to pull out if he hasn’t already. He may just be kept on as a producer, and they already have a Bond replacement in the cards. Hopefully I’m wrong!
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 1,021
    I am not familiar with his work but I was already planning on watching his new show MANIAC on NETFLIX. Have been meaning to getting around to watching BEASTS OF NO NATION on NETFLIX for ages but have never gotten around to it. Will have to check it out soon. I haven't seen TRUE DETECTIVE but everyone I know who has seen it has only high praise for the show. He seems like a really solid choice from EON to take over BOND 25. I hope that this time BB, MGW, DC are all on the same page with their new director.
    Its a brave choice (considering he also quit directing IT 3 weeks before production was due to start!)
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Don’t get too excited yet. There’s still time for him to pull out over “creative differences”.

This worries me too…

Fukunga is a massively talented filmmaker. But he’s part of a new-breed of hollywood filmmaking and has ignored the stuido system for streaming outlets.

He’s noticeably butted heads with studios, producers and writers over the years. He was going to direct Stephen King’s ‘It’ before quiting over ‘creative differences’. He was going to direct the ‘The Alienist’ TV series but quit that show. He also had a creative dispute with the writer of 'True Detective'….

Fukunga has quit more films than he's directed. He’s definitely a flight risk….

I’m seriously interested in this guy and have been touting him on these forums for years. We have out first American, non-white (and hipster…) Bond director.

102011039-3a2c9bcc-799a-446d-95fb-351d53814209.jpg

Pretty sure Lee Tamahori qualifies as non-white.
    I wonder what will be EON's choice for the score : the safe way (bring back David Arnold), or carry on with new blood :
    Fukunaga's most regular composer seems to be Dan Romer (Maniac, Beasts of No Nation), who's also a songwriter, and artists producer.

I am anticipating a lot of new blood. Why choose a director like this and then bring back Arnold. Doesn't make sense.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Mathis1 wrote: »
    Ludovico wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Ah, and finally this obsolete policy about non hiring american directors is over.

I don’t think that policy has been in place for some time, if it ever really was. It was always a case of the director’s sensibilities and Cary’s style is quite European. I always understood the ‘non-American policy’ as them making it known they wouldn’t be entertaining the Michael Bays and Brett Ratners of this world - brash film makers. Cary’s work is much more refined than that.

Not that it matters, but according to Wikipedia, Fukunaga has lived in France, Japan, Mexico City, and London, and is fluent in French and Spanish. Might have given him a bit of European influence if anything.

The more I read about him the more I like the choice. I was never enthusiastic about Boyle. And thus is proper new blood as well.

Was never keen on Boyle either! Just didn't seem a right fit for Bond! But I know nothing of Fukunagas work..so I need to start researching and watching! True Detective 1 seems a fitting place to start!

My, my, are you in for a treat. Wish I could rewatch it 'fresh' again. However, I will be rewatching TD season 1 before Bond 25 will premier.
    I am not familiar with his work but I was already planning on watching his new show MANIAC on NETFLIX. Have been meaning to getting around to watching BEASTS OF A NATION on NETFLIX for ages but have never gotten around to it. Will have to check it out soon. I haven't seen TRUE DETECTIVE but everyone I know who has seen it has only high praise for the show. He seems like a really solid choice from EON to take over BOND 25. I hope that this time BB, MGW, DC are all on the same page with their new director.
    Its a brave choice (considering he also quit directing IT 3 weeks before production was due to start!)

Enjoy, I'd say :) I know I will be enjoying Maniac tomorrow, that much is clear.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Walecs wrote: »
    Disappointed by the delay. I know it was inevitable with Boyle walking away, the rewrites and such, but the 4 year gap was ridiculous enough, this is even worse.

This also means we won't have a Bond movie for the 60th anniversary.

Woah, priorities, man. Four months is nothing and the 60th? Who gives a sh*t?

It's not four months. It's 4 years and four months since SPECTRE's release.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    I'm glad we have the director finally. I'm not as enthused by the delay but at least it's not too long. True Detective 1 is indeed excellent, but that kind of sensibility may not play well into global box office. It could be a bit obtuse.

A few points I noticed regarding this, given the nature of the conversation that has been ongoing on this thread for the past month.

1. there is a delay
    2. the film will release in early 2020 (and not late 2020)
    3. the director is American
    4. the announcement came out of the blue and was a name we didn't hear beforehand
    5. they annouced the director as soon as he was locked, and didn't wait
    6. Variety, The Hollywood Reporter and countless others got it right

I hope this demonstrates that there's nothing wrong with speculation by amateurs in lieu of hard facts. That should perhaps be kept in mind going forward. Those who predicted the above, congratulations. Well done. I was on the wrong side of some of the above, especially 2. and 4.

Hopefully this is the end of the surprises. Now they just have to get it together and deliver an excellent film, and hope that this new release date doesn't negatively impact anything financially (it's a very different film market in February in comparison to October/November/December).
  • StanKobraStanKobra Serbia
    Couple of profiles:

https://www.gq.com/story/cary-fukunaga-netflix-maniac

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/magazine/true-detective-director-cary-fukunaga-netflix-maniac.html?smid=tw-nytmag&smtyp=cur

"He skateboards, surfs, rides a motorcycle and used to practice capoeira.
    His polo horse is stabled nearby. He learned to ride after working on “Jane Eyre,” this somehow led to his becoming a devoted polo player.
    So he can sail a monohull, climb rocks, shoot a gun, use a bow and arrow and navigate with a compass. But he also has gorgeous handwriting, speaks several languages and loves many a lifestyle Instagram account.
    Has a reputation for falling madly in love. “The guy is a sensitive guy,” says Mick Casale, a friend and former screenwriting teacher of his at N.Y.U. “He comes over for lunch, and we just talk about love!”

Interesting, versatile guy. I think we are in good hands.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    StanKobra wrote: »
    Couple of profiles:

https://www.gq.com/story/cary-fukunaga-netflix-maniac

https://www.nytimes.com/2018/09/11/magazine/true-detective-director-cary-fukunaga-netflix-maniac.html?smid=tw-nytmag&smtyp=cur

"He skateboards, surfs, rides a motorcycle and used to practice capoeira.
    His polo horse is stabled nearby. He learned to ride after working on “Jane Eyre,” this somehow led to his becoming a devoted polo player.
    So he can sail a monohull, climb rocks, shoot a gun, use a bow and arrow and navigate with a compass. But he also has gorgeous handwriting, speaks several languages and loves many a lifestyle Instagram account.
    Has a reputation for falling madly in love. “The guy is a sensitive guy,” says Mick Casale, a friend and former screenwriting teacher of his at N.Y.U. “He comes over for lunch, and we just talk about love!”

Interesting, versatile guy. I think we are in good hands.

Hell, just let him play Bond already ;)
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    Getafix wrote: »

I am anticipating a lot of new blood. Why choose a director like this and then bring back Arnold. Doesn't make sense.

On the flipside, choosing a director like this would be the exact reason why I'd like to see Arnold come back. But, I'm not expecting it and it's certainly not a dealbreaker if Fukunaga wanted to pick his own composer.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Anyone know who he has worked with as a composer previously? Does he have a 'go to guy or gal'?

Also, could there be significance to Valentine's Day?

EDIT:
    I assume those sets are in fact coming down then?
  • RC7RC7
    Disappointed by the delay. I know it was inevitable with Boyle walking away, the rewrites and such, but the 4 year gap was ridiculous enough, this is even worse.

This also means we won't have a Bond movie for the 60th anniversary.

Woah, priorities, man. Four months is nothing and the 60th? Who gives a sh*t?

It's not four months. It's 4 years and four months since SPECTRE's release.

Nobody’s forcing you to wait around.
  • Regarding the announcement, It's particularly intriguing and cryptic. I can imagine that many years from now, we'll get the true story of what exactly happened in the lead up to production what with Boyle's departure. What I'm also really interested by is that if he was seen recently at Pinewood, he's also in London for the launch of the new Netflix series Maniac, then he could have been attached/working with E.ON for some time. It's extremely unusual for a new production to build sets only then to change direction and strike them. So he is inheriting some production elements and some casted actors...I wonder how this will limit his ability to make changes?
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    edited September 2018 Posts: 3,157
    bondjames wrote: »
    Anyone know who he has worked with as a composer previously? Does he have a 'go to guy or gal'?

Dan Romer scored Fukunaga's last movie and his upcoming Netflix series, so it might be him. I have no familiarity with Romer, so I can't say whether he is a good choice or not.

Dan Romer scored Fukunaga's last movie and his upcoming Netflix series, so it might be him. I have no familiarity with Romer, so I can't say whether he is a good choice or not.
    Thank you. I will check out some of his work.
  • RC7RC7
    I'm glad we have the director finally. I'm not as enthused by the delay but at least it's not too long. True Detective 1 is indeed excellent, but that kind of sensibility may not play well into global box office. It could be a bit obtuse.

A few points I noticed regarding this, given the nature of the conversation that has been ongoing on this thread for the past month.

1. there is a delay
    4. the announcement came out of the blue and was a name we didn't hear beforehand

I hope this demonstrates that there's nothing wrong with speculation by amateurs in lieu of hard facts. That should perhaps be kept in mind going forward. Those who predicted the above, congratulations. Well done. I was on the wrong side of some of the above, especially 2. and 4.

Do the best predictors get a prize?
  • peterpeter Toronto

1. there is a delay

It’s just gaslighting @RC7 , lol!

DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    There could also be time for Craig to pull out if he hasn’t already. He may just be kept on as a producer, and they already have a Bond replacement in the cards. Hopefully I’m wrong!
    Judging by True Detective Season 1, Craig should be over the moon at the prospect of working with a director bringing so much out of the actors. I find it hard to imagine Craig would leave because of Fukunaga.

1. there is a delay

A little humility and decorum would be just fine with me going forward. Nothing more is needed.
  • I've never seen True Detective but I absolutely loved Cary Fukunaga's work on Jane Eyre. A sumptuous, atmospheric, beautifully shot film. From that alone, I'm excited to see what he can do with Bond! And I can handle a three-month delay. Better than a year!
  • RC7RC7

1. there is a delay

A little humility and decorum would be just fine with me going forward. Nothing more is needed.

That’s cool, but what do you get for being the best predictor?

1. there is a delay

That’s cool, but what do you get for being the best predictor?
    Has there been anyone who predicted anything accurately here? At least 100%.

That's my whole point. The speculation has been worthwhile, due to the fact that eventual reality has surprised all of us.

The constant sniping and innuendo really wasn't necessary and infected the thread. Nobody has been accurate about anything here.
    For once I’ll have something to look forward to on Valentine’s Day.
  • SuperintendentSuperintendent A separate pool. For sharks, no less.
    I'm fairly certain this isn't going to be just a simple old-fashioned 'Bond on a mission' film. It will bring something new and different, but in what way, remains to be seen.
    February 2020 release date?? I would rather they push it 3 extra months for a May release date
    BAIN123 wrote: »
    For once I’ll have something to look forward to on Valentine’s Day.

That's put a downer on the recent news.

Well, you've got about 18 months to remedy that situation!
    Never heard of this Director. He is good? What can we expect from him?
    I'm fairly certain this isn't going to be just a simple old-fashioned 'Bond on a mission' film. It will bring something new and different, but in what way, remains to be seen.
    It sure seems that way. Intriguing, but not in a traditionally commercial way. That's what I find most interesting about this.