No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    We're definitely going to get some legit gritty action again. Finally.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 5,185
    Very interesting choice. Not suprised they doubled down on hiring an auteur after Boyle. Never expected anything else. I'm glad they are not delaying the movie all too much.
    Looks like i have to get my hands on Beast of no Nation.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Ludovico wrote: »
    Just heard about the director being chosen on the radio. Surprising choice. Don't know him, but heard some good things about True Detective.
    ?!? What, Fukunaga? An American?
    Sorry, just found out as well. Interesting choice. And a Bond film in February, no less... That's...new. All of it.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    I've seen Sin Nombre and True Detective but never registered his name. Both of these are excellent though.

I never finished Beasts of No Nation - found it a bit hard going. Since it starred Idris Elba, can we expect Fukunaga's appointment to restart speculation around who will be the next Bond...?

Anyway, I'm glad they've got a director. He seems like a sound choice. Could his Japanese ancestry point towards some East Asia YOLT-esque locations...?

Most of all I'm happy they've finally broken the ridiculous rule about not hiring American directors. If this becomes the norm, rather than an exception, it could contribute to a significant general improvement in the quality of the Bond films. Think of all the directing talent that suddenly becomes potentially available to EON.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    Ah, and finally this obsolete policy about non hiring american directors is over.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,459
    Yeah, baby!! I am thrilled with this choice! Oh, this is outstanding news. I am so damn happy about this. First season True Detective is superb. I think Cary will handle a Bond film beautifully. I cannot stop smiling. Actually, I am every bit as excited (or possibly more) than when I heard Boyle would direct.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    So when can we expect the kick-off press conference now?
    February-March probably.
    antovolk wrote: »
    Some on Twitter have been concerned about the fact that it's still P&W on script duties - I would be surprised if Fukunaga doesn't give it his own (credit earning) rewrite.

DoP though, he could to it himself but a wise choice would be to reunite with Adam Arkapaw...

Yes, Cary is a good writer. I think this is a brave (but not too risky at all) choice. He is smart, innovative, and very talented.
  • LeonardPineLeonardPine The Bar on the Beach
    Interesting choice. Seems to be an intelligent director. Really looking forward to it now. :)
  • doubleoegodoubleoego #LightWork
    edited September 2018 Posts: 11,139
    Yeah, that British/Commonwealth directors only rule was quite silly. Glad to see EoN are taking steps to join the rest of the world and ditch some of their outdated policies.
    For the thread title, I think his name is Fukunaga, not Fukunuga
  • RC7RC7
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,512
    matt_u wrote: »
    Ah, and finally this obsolete policy about non hiring american directors is over.

I don’t think that policy has been in place for some time, if it ever really was. It was always a case of the director’s sensibilities and Cary’s style is quite European. I always understood the ‘non-American policy’ as them making it known they wouldn’t be entertaining the Michael Bays and Brett Ratners of this world - brash film makers. Cary’s work is much more refined than that.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 6,677
    Quite happy with this. More happy than i was with Boyle, that's for sure. Fukunaga is the real deal. I thought he could join the ranks of Kubrick in coming years. Hell, this could be his Spartacus. Even considering the production parallels we can draw from these two films. He really is quite talented. Good news. Finally!

Funny Jane Eyre stared Michal Fassbender, and Beasts of no Nation starred Idris Elba. Bond contenders - or more like rumoured. Small world, I'd say.

And he'll be a gift to the writing table, that's for sure. It'll be like Jonathan Franzen working with Dan Brown on a novella... Sorry P&W, I had to do it ;)

Good choice, EON, never doubted you guys.
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Going to quote myself from the 'director thread':

Definitely an admirer of Fukunaga's work and yes I'd be more than glad with him as director. The guy can direct!

I am over the moon with this choice. Hats off to Barbara and Michael and most likely Craig. Today is going to be a great day.
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands
    Interesting choice, but can't help but be disappointed with the delay :(
    Jeffrey wrote: »

It's only by a few moths.
  • Woah!

This the announcement I’ve been waiting for. Not just as I’ve been frustrated without news, Fukunga is one of my favourite directors.

Danny Boyle was always an exciting and interesting choice. But his style is somewhat dated and stale. However, Fukunga is a name I’ve been throwing around for years. He’s 100% the most creative, bold and interesting choice.

He’s pure art-house and someone who is known for deconstructive and edgy cinema.

I had a feeling that Fukunga was going to get it after his Netflix show ‘Maniac’ had a premiere on London’s Southbank. A stone’s throw from the Eon’s offices. I even suggested it a while back in the director’s thread. Check out my post below from 13 September 2019.
    Cary Fukunaga was a name I always thought would be terrific. The action in True Detective was terrific (that one shot!).

Plus he has made some terrific array of diverse films, including a Jane Eyre adaptation and a film about child soldiers.

The guy is a real talent. His new TV series had its premiere in London tonight. Is there any chance, he could have met with Eon today? could he be the guy?

5023B01000000578-6165283-image-a-118_1536863224856.jpg

Cary Joji Fukunga’s appointment is the most excited I’ve ever been for a Bond director.
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Disappointed by the delay. I know it was inevitable with Boyle walking away, the rewrites and such, but the 4 year gap was ridiculous enough, this is even worse.

This also means we won't have a Bond movie for the 60th anniversary.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,588
    RC7 wrote: »

I don’t think that policy has been in place for some time, if it ever really was. It was always a case of the director’s sensibilities and Cary’s style is quite European. I always understood the ‘non-American policy’ as them making it known they wouldn’t be entertaining the Michael Bays and Brett Ratners of this world - brash film makers. Cary’s work is much more refined than that.
    I think this was more or less confirmed when EON were lobbying hard for Denis Villeneuve, who's French Canadian. It at least showed that they were willing to branch out.

Getafix wrote: »
    For the thread title, I think his name is Fukunaga, not Fukunuga
    Fixed.
  • RC7RC7

It’s only 4 months, it’ll fly by. You’ve managed to get through this power sappingly turgid thread for 3 years, it’ll be a breeze.
    Very minor delay, people. This is just incredibly exciting to me as I think Cary can bring so much to a Bond film.
  • jake24jake24 Sitting at your desk, kissing your lover, eating supper with your familyModerator
    edited September 2018 Posts: 10,588
    Walecs wrote: »
    Disappointed by the delay. I know it was inevitable with Boyle walking away, the rewrites and such, but the 4 year gap was ridiculous enough, this is even worse.

This also means we won't have a Bond movie for the 60th anniversary.
    Understand the frustration, but four months really isn't a big deal (it's for the better, trust me).

Also, I highly doubt we were ever going to get a Bond film in 2022.
  • RC7RC7
    jake24 wrote: »

I think this was more or less confirmed when EON were lobbying hard for Denis Villeneuve, who's French Canadian. It at least showed that they were willing to branch out.

Likewise, Spottiswoode was Canadian and Forster Swiss.

Not that it matters, but according to Wikipedia, Fukunaga has lived in France, Japan, Mexico City, and London, and is fluent in French and Spanish. Might have given him a bit of European influence if anything.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 1,661
    Great news. :) I like the fact the director was not on everyone's radar. Seems an interesting, unexpected choice... and American! It's about time we had an American director have a go at Bond.

The delay isn't too long. I'd rather have a delay than a rushed production schedule.
    Filming starts at Pinewood Studios on 4 March 2019.

:)
  • RC7RC7

Not that it matters, but according to Wikipedia, Fukunaga has lived in France, Japan, Mexico City, and London, and is fluent in French and Spanish. Might have given him a bit of European influence if anything.

Exactly.
  • ShardlakeShardlake Leeds, West Yorkshire, England
    Fantastic news. Funkunga's appointment is very exciting, we always knew a delay might be on the cards.

I did hope it wasn't but this can only good for the film, I can't be sure but his form as a writer could suggest he'll punch the script up some. Feel Bond 25 is now in a great place going forward.

Though I was waiting for an official confirmation.
    Woah!

This the announcement I’ve been waiting for. Not just as I’ve been frustrated without news, Fukunga is one of my favourite directors.

Danny Boyle was always an exciting and interesting choice. But his style is somewhat dated and stale. However, Fukunga is a name I’ve been throwing around for years. He’s 100% the most creative, bold and interesting choice.

He’s pure art-house and someone who is known for deconstructive and edgy cinema.

I had a feeling that Fukunga was going to get it after his Netflix show ‘Maniac’ had a premiere on London’s Southbank. A stone’s throw from the Eon’s offices. I even suggested it a while back in the director’s thread. Check out my post below from 13 September 2019.
    Cary Fukunaga was a name I always thought would be terrific. The action in True Detective was terrific (that one shot!).

Plus he has made some terrific array of diverse films, including a Jane Eyre adaptation and a film about child soldiers.

The guy is a real talent. His new TV series had its premiere in London tonight. Is there any chance, he could have met with Eon today? could he be the guy?

5023B01000000578-6165283-image-a-118_1536863224856.jpg

Cary Joji Fukunga’s appointment is the most excited I’ve ever been for a Bond director.

Thanks for reminding me of that tracking shot in True Detectives. I was trying to think what his action credentials were and that shot is amazing. Sort of comes out of nowhere and just blows you away - awesome.

I hope he has time to stamp his mark on this film and is not lumbered with too much stale baggage. Would be nice if he brought the True Detectives writer on board... I cannot see him being happy with a Purvis and Wade screenplay.

So in his previous 2 English language feature films the leads were played by Idris Elba and Michael Fassbender. Coincidence...?
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier
    Also, to anyone who hasn't seen True Detective season 1, please go and do yourself a favour: watch it. It's utter brilliance from start to finish.

giphy.gif
  • JeffreyJeffrey The Netherlands

It's only by a few moths.

It’s only 4 months, it’ll fly by. You’ve managed to get through this power sappingly turgid thread for 3 years, it’ll be a breeze.

You're right, I shouldn't complain and just have a little more patience. 4 months will fly by in comparison indeed, and it could have been worse of course.