No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• Well, I'm excited insofar as he seems like a very interesting choice, with lots of upside.

But I also can't help but feel frustrated at the time lost. He'll basically start from scratch now, and we're looking at ~5 years between films. I'd really rather that directors and the rest of the team can come from a place of strength, with a strong plan in place well in advance.
  • 4EverBonded4EverBonded the Ballrooms of Mars
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,459
    American, but not "Hollywood", not mainstream typical, not too "auteur" either, thank goodness. He's been dealing with a higher profile and tons of acclaim since True Detective, so I think he can step into being a Bond director rather comfortably.

He directs action so well, but also long, thoughtful quietly dramatic scenes. He sure got incredible performances out of McConaughey and Harrelson. Actually, all the whole cast in that first season True Detective is excellent. Way above par. Cary's the real deal; versatile enough, astute, experienced, quite solid talent.

Not starting from scratch - using Hodge's script, with P&W on board, and I feel Cary will have a hand in the writing. But they have a foundation; that helps.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    octofinger wrote: »
    Well, I'm excited insofar as he seems like a very interesting choice, with lots of upside.

But I also can't help but feel frustrated at the time lost. He'll basically start from scratch now, and we're looking at ~5 years between films. I'd really rather that directors and the rest of the team can come from a place of strength, with a strong plan in place well in advance.

True. Still. Let's hope he has the time to make this a Fukunaga Bond film and that he's not just there to ease a frail and failing production through its dying days. Pushing back the release date seems profoundly sensible and hopefully will give him a few crucial months to turn things around.
    tumblr_nuyfqrC20i1qi1uh9o1_400.gif

:))
  • JeremyBondonJeremyBondon Seeking out odd jobs with Oddjob @Tangier

This made me LOL way too loud and he is sort of right ;)
  • RC7RC7
    Walecs wrote: »
    Disappointed by the delay. I know it was inevitable with Boyle walking away, the rewrites and such, but the 4 year gap was ridiculous enough, this is even worse.

This also means we won't have a Bond movie for the 60th anniversary.

Woah, priorities, man. Four months is nothing and the 60th? Who gives a sh*t?
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,034
    This is a cracking choice and I am incredibly excited. WELL DONE EON ;)
    Quite a handsome fellow
    cary-fukunaga-gq-september-2018_01.jpg
  • I see Fukunaga is involved with the Netflix series Maniac which drops tomorrow. Gives me extra motivation to watch it now.
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.

He already got it! :))
  • Whether this is the right call or not, I'll reserve judgement until 2/20......I'm not familiar with his work. Just have to hope for the best........
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 11,425
    Whether this is the right call or not, I'll reserve judgement until 2/20......I'm not familiar with his work. Just have to hope for the best........

Or you could check out his films and TV work and see what you think of it...

True Detectives is pretty much flawless.
  • zebrafishzebrafish <°)))< in Octopussy's garden in the shade
    Given the genre, I think Fukunaga is a better choice than Boyle.
  • peterpeter Toronto
    Unbelievable choice and glad it's someone that wasn't on the shortlist. BoNN and TD were incredible visions. As @doubleoego has said, I hope this is an indication of a return to gritty action.

With Cary on board, I think this means he will have a very heavy hand in the polishing of the script. As a guess, if there is anything left of Hodge's script by the end (if it's being used at all), I'd be extremely surprised.

And as far as P&W's work, once again, as a guess, they will lay down the blue-print; but this guy's such a strong creative force, I expect his "voice" will be all over each page of the script.

They have the complete package with this guy.
    peter wrote: »
    Unbelievable choice and glad it's someone that wasn't on the shortlist. BoNN and TD were incredible visions. As @doubleoego has said, I hope this is an indication of a return to gritty action.

With Cary on board, I think this means he will have a very heavy hand in the polishing of the script. As a guess, if there is anything left of Hodge's script by the end (if it's being used at all), I'd be extremely surprised.

And as far as P&W's work, once again, as a guess, they will lay down the blue-print; but this guy's such a strong creative force, I expect his "voice" will be all over each page of the script.

Perhaps Fukunaga can give True Detective screenwriter Nic Pizzolatto a call for a rehaul on the script
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 19,339
    The first series of True Detective is a masterpiece of filming and storytelling.
    The script is excellent,something I was worried about re B25 and P&W.

If Cary can get his writing talents on that script then I will be very happy !!

EDIT : Bloody hell I will have just turned 50 exactly 1 month earlier,now its put back 4 months !!!
    barryt007 wrote: »
    The first series of True Detective is a masterpiece of filming and storytelling.
    The script is excellent,something I was worried about re B25 and P&W.

If Cary can get his writing talents on that script then I will be very happy !!

EDIT : Bloody hell I will have just turned 50 exactly 1 month earlier,now its put back 4 months !!!

A perfect way to celebrate I'd say!
  • peterpeter Toronto

Perhaps Fukunaga can give True Detective screenwriter Nic Pizzolatto a call for a rehaul on the script

So long as he plays in the EoN sandbox, I think creatively, he will have a very long leash. He's got a powerful creative vision. He's also very raw and masculine in presentation.

I can picture a Fukunaga Bond film; I could never quite see what a Boyle Bond film would look like...
    True Detective Series 1 was superb. What a very cool and exciting choice. And just a slight delay. Feb 2020 seems like a good time to release, although I'm not sure what the competition might be around that date.
  • RoadphillRoadphill United Kingdom
    edited September 2018 Posts: 984
    Good news we can finally put all the nonsense about Director and schedule behind us.

Fukunaga's work on True Detective and Beasts Of No Nation, where excellent. And he is American! Left field for sure, but a good choice.
  • ThunderballsThunderballs Brighton, UK
    Very excited by the Fukunaga news - and the delay will give them that little more time to get things right. Happy!!
  • CraigMooreOHMSSCraigMooreOHMSS Dublin, Ireland

They're not on speaking terms, I believe.
    ColonelSun wrote: »
    True Detective Series 1 was superb. What a very cool and exciting choice. And just a slight delay. Feb 2020 seems like a good time to release, although I'm not sure what the competition might be around that date.

Nothing major confirmed for that time yet, thankfully. If Bond has gotten there first then it might be a case of any other potential films planning to release around then pushing back a week or two. DC had a date earmarked in February 2020, but they never announced anything after that.
    Don’t get too excited yet. There’s still time for him to pull out over “creative differences”.
  • Not familiar with him but he seems like a good choice. Not going with a household name was a good call i think and its only a 4 month delay, i feared it was going to be alot longer than that so im happy.

edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318

They're not on speaking terms, I believe.

You're right, to an extent anyway. Fukunaga explains their differences in this video (timestamped). Very interesting philosophy

Interesting new interview that tells a bit about his (thankfully strongwilled) character:

https://www.indiewire.com/2018/08/cary-fukunaga-explains-it-exit-fighting-pizzolatto-true-detective-long-take-1201998173/
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 4,400
    LeChiffre wrote: »
    Don’t get too excited yet. There’s still time for him to pull out over “creative differences”.

This worries me too…

Fukunga is a massively talented filmmaker. But he’s part of a new-breed of hollywood filmmaking and has ignored the stuido system for streaming outlets.

He’s noticeably butted heads with studios, producers and writers over the years. He was going to direct Stephen King’s ‘It’ before quiting over ‘creative differences’. He was going to direct the ‘The Alienist’ TV series but quit that show. He also had a creative dispute with the writer of 'True Detective'….

Fukunga has quit more films than he's directed. He’s definitely a flight risk….

I’m seriously interested in this guy and have been touting him on these forums for years. We have out first American, non-white (and hipster…) Bond director.

102011039-3a2c9bcc-799a-446d-95fb-351d53814209.jpg
  • Please, could someone recommend a couple of Fukunaga movies I could pick up on DVD? I'm not familiar with him a all..............Thanks
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,318
    Please, could someone recommend a couple of Fukunaga movies I could pick up on DVD? I'm not familiar with him a all..............Thanks

Sin Nombre, True Detective season 1, Beasts of No Nation, Maniac (new Netflix series). The trailer looks amazing. To me it looks like a mix between Kubrick and Fincher. It will premier tomorrow.

I am excited and intrigued
    RC7 wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    Ah, and finally this obsolete policy about non hiring american directors is over.

I don’t think that policy has been in place for some time, if it ever really was. It was always a case of the director’s sensibilities and Cary’s style is quite European. I always understood the ‘non-American policy’ as them making it known they wouldn’t be entertaining the Michael Bays and Brett Ratners of this world - brash film makers. Cary’s work is much more refined than that.

Not that it matters, but according to Wikipedia, Fukunaga has lived in France, Japan, Mexico City, and London, and is fluent in French and Spanish. Might have given him a bit of European influence if anything.

The more I read about him the more I like the choice. I was never enthusiastic about Boyle. And thus is proper new blood as well.