No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill
    Never seen anything by Fuckunaga, but he sounds like a better choice than Boyle.
    It has to be set in London since we've not seen that in a long time!
    Never seen anything by Fuckunaga, but he sounds like a better choice than Boyle.

I see what you did there! :))
    bondjames wrote: »
    M_Balje wrote: »
    ]Will Jenny Eagan (Beasts of No Nation) will be costume designer. Cow Boys and Aliens (With Daniel Craig), Iron Man 2, Pay Check and Catch Me If You Can. She possible also have been a choose with Bart Layton. She worked on American Animals. And she worked with the Coen Brothers.

Having worked with both Craig and Fukunaga wouldn't hurt her chances, that's for sure.
    Catch Me If You Can & Iron Man 2 both had some pretty stylish suits and clothes so I'm open to her. It's a good point about the costume designer, because we know Temime is out (thank goodness as far as I'm concerned). I'm looking forward to the announcement of who gets this gig.

Have only watched Catch Me If You Can of these two, but I agree that the costumes in that film were really good.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    Personally, I'd love for them to get Louise Frogley back for the costume designing duties.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    ]Will Jenny Eagan (Beasts of No Nation) will be costume designer. Cow Boys and Aliens (With Daniel Craig), Iron Man 2, Pay Check and Catch Me If You Can. She possible also have been a choose with Bart Layton. She worked on American Animals. And she worked with the Coen Brothers.

Having worked with both Craig and Fukunaga wouldn't hurt her chances, that's for sure.
    Catch Me If You Can & Iron Man 2 both had some pretty stylish suits and clothes so I'm open to her. It's a good point about the costume designer, because we know Temime is out (thank goodness as far as I'm concerned). I'm looking forward to the announcement of who gets this gig.

Have only watched Catch Me If You Can of these two, but I agree that the costumes in that film were really good.
    It's a very stylish film.
    Personally, I'd love for them to get Louise Frogley back for the costume designing duties.
    She'd be great. I like Lindy Hemming's work on Bond too.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    we only lost three mos due to the Boyle debacle, so I guess that's something. Valentine's Day, 2020. Interesting release date- I cannot recall when an 007 wasn't released in Nov/Dec.
    =bg= wrote: »
    we only lost three mos due to the Boyle debacle, so I guess that's something. Valentine's Day, 2020. Interesting release date- I cannot recall when an 007 wasn't released in Nov/Dec.
    LTK was the last one. That was released in summer 1989.
    Bond has never been released in the first four months of the year.
  • Bond has never been released in the first four months of the year.

I think the February release date is a misstep, but we'll see.
  • Birdleson wrote: »
    So a five year. That’s terrible.

A technicality that doesn't amount to much difference in reality.

edited September 2018 Posts: 23,883
    Birdleson wrote: »
    So a five year. That’s terrible.
    It is sad. As @Remington said earlier, we will only have had 2 Bond films in the 10's. It will be remembered as the Mendes decade as much as the 80's were known as the Glen decade I suppose.

It's a very stylish film.

Indeed! Need to watch it again sometime.
    Craig will still be 51 when it comes out.
  • There's a serious chance that with Fukunga at the helm that this film will turn round the narrative very quickly.

In fact, the general consensus on Twitter and in the film blogshere is that Fukunga is a far better and more exciting choice than Boyle ever was. He's a seriously exciting helmer.

I feel with Fukunga, we are getting an A-list director who will bring a Denis Villeneueve element of class and sophistication to proceedings. I expect Bond 25 to have some serious art-house credentials and be very much in the mould of Blade Runner 2049. Which i'd far prefer to the ADHD version, Boyle would have made.

Also, With Fukunga, I'd expect as many glossy magazine shoots and profiles as Daniel Craig is expected to get in 2020.

Cary-Fukunaga-GQ-September-2018_08.jpg

The dude smoulders.

Also, in their article Variety mentioned that the director of Showtime's Patrick Melrose (with Benedict Cumberbatch) was also in consideration.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    "Tim you can't come back after five years and just do one". My, how times have changed.
  • Haha, great post @Pierce2Daniel.

Agree with it all. Especially the part about the narrative turning quickly. You'd have to stretch very, very far to crap on this choice. I'm more excited today than I've been at any point in B25's cycle -- including Boyle's announcement.

RE: Fukunaga's style and the 'profiles' you mentioned. He strikes me as...modern Terence Young.
    I don t think Fukunaga being American is a big deal. I think it is more significant that he is the first director born in the 70s, during the Moore era.
    I don t think Fukunaga being American is a big deal. I think it is more significant that he is the first director born in the 70s, during the Moore era.
    I didn't realize before that all the previous directors have been older. Nice catch.
  • M_BaljeM_Balje Amsterdam, Netherlands
    http://myhollywoodbites.blogspot.com/2011/03/jane-eyre-director-cary-fukunaga-on.html?m=1
    Jane Eyre" Director Cary Fukunaga on Homelessness and the Raw Sexual Magnetism of Judi Dench

;)
  • WalecsWalecs On Her Majesty's Secret Service
    Remington wrote: »
    "Tim you can't come back after five years and just do one". My, how times have changed.

We'e gone from six movies (four of which are among the best in the franchise) in a decade to two (and one of them is terrible).

I truly wonder when Bond 26 will be released.
    http://myhollywoodbites.blogspot.com/2011/03/jane-eyre-director-cary-fukunaga-on.html?m=1
    Jane Eyre" Director Cary Fukunaga on Homelessness and the Raw Sexual Magnetism of Judi Dench

;)
    Ha ha. I suppose we can expect another cameo then. Flashback dream sequence anybody? Hopefully not a wet one.
  • Red_SnowRed_Snow Australia
    A Feb 2020 release date, does this mean they're less concerned with chasing awards buzz this time around?

Not that it can't/wont happen, but Oct/Nov is fair more awards friendly.
    The one thing about this delay that does bother me is it continues the downward trend of diminishing Bonds per decade.

The 2010's is now officially the first decade since the franchise began in which only two Bond films were produced.

1960's: 6 films (+ CR67)

1970's: 5 films

1980's: 5 films (+NSNA)

1990's: 3 films

2000's: 3 films

2010's : 2 films

2020's: 1 film (?)

2030's: 0 films (?)

2040's: Bond makes a comeback after 20 years in a similar vein to INDY 4 as Mickey G celebrates his 100th birthday. Craig returns for his 6th outing at the age of 74.

Joking aside, I do hope B25 is a critical and financial success to the point it gives Universal and MGM that needed jump start to get the series back on track with a regular 2-3 year time-frame.
  • brinkeguthriebrinkeguthrie Piz Gloria
    =bg= wrote: »
    LTK was the last one. That was released in summer 1989.

aha. and I despise that movie. well, at least we know it's a done deal and finally moving forward. How EON can move at such a glacial pace when Star Wars movies get cranked every month or so (seemingly) is beyond me. So all I need is:

1) another cool Aston
    2) a huge theme song with some Barry brass for a change, not a simpering ballad.
  • DoctorKaufmannDoctorKaufmann Can shoot you from Stuttgart and still make it look like suicide.
    An insider of the industry speaks out in public.

Birdleson wrote: »
    Walecs wrote: »
    Remington wrote: »

We'e gone from six movies (four of which are among the best in the franchise) in a decade to two (and one of them is terrible).

I truly wonder when Bond 26 will be released.

Not five?

Of course. DN-TB and OHMSS. The second half of YOLT keeps it from being one of the best.
    Red_Snow wrote: »
    A Feb 2020 release date, does this mean they're less concerned with chasing awards buzz this time around?

Not that it can't/wont happen, but Oct/Nov is fair more awards friendly.
    If I were to guess, I'd say the impetus for the date is financial. It will allow MGM to meet its numbers still since their fiscal year end is December 31.
    ToTheRight wrote: »
    The one thing about this delay that does bother me is it continues the downward trend of diminishing Bonds per decade.

The 2010's is now officially the first decade since the franchise began in which only two Bond films were produced.

1960's: 6 films (+ CR67)

1970's: 5 films

1980's: 5 films (+NSNA)

1990's: 3 films

2000's: 3 films

2010's : 2 films

2020's: 1 film (?)

2030's: 0 films (?)

2040's: Bond makes a comeback after 20 years in a similar vein to INDY 4 as Mickey G celebrates his 100th birthday. Craig returns for his 6th outing at the age of 74.

Joking aside, I do hope B25 is a critical and financial success to the point it gives Universal and MGM that needed jump start to get the series back on track with a regular 2-3 year time-frame.

My thoughts exactly. Three a decade like the 90s and 00s was the one saving grace of a 2019 release. Oh well. Just a few months delay.
    I think Universal will definitely be looking at every 2-3 years after B25 and Craig are finished.

They don't wait around .
  • I find it amusing that EON felt the need to include the guy's middle name in their press release. How many other people named Cary Fukunaga are in the Director's Guild?