Bond's Gaming Future(News, Speculation, Discussion)

Comments

• Creasy47Creasy47 In Cuba with Natalya.Moderator
    @ClarkDevlin, no doubt. Let's make it happen and swim in money for the rest of our days.

In all seriousness, I am very curious to see if the desire to make a new Bond game is heightened once a new era begins - perhaps a wave of intrigue and curiosity over the next actor will get the higher-ups to commission a new title from someone. I'm still not sure what exactly is going on (if it's some rights issue or simply that nobody wants to make one).
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Creasy47 wrote: »
    @ClarkDevlin, no doubt. Let's make it happen and swim in money for the rest of our days.

In all seriousness, I am very curious to see if the desire to make a new Bond game is heightened once a new era begins - perhaps a wave of intrigue and curiosity over the next actor will get the higher-ups to commission a new title from someone. I'm still not sure what exactly is going on (if it's some rights issue or simply that nobody wants to make one).

That can't be it in my opinion. I think many studious would love jump at the opportunity to do a big franchise game for Bond and reboot it so to speak. If it's good you have guaranteed success, especially after such a long wait.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    I don't think it's the case of nobody wanting it. In fact, I can't think of why anyone wouldn't want to make a Bond game. The reason it's not happening is because Danjaq is most likely preventing it.
    It's always some sort of copyright/rights issue with these things, isn't it? The same damn thing keeping me from another Friday the 13th installment. Hopefully they can iron this out in the coming years. The possibilities are endless for a new James Bond title, I'd love to see what a proper studio could do with the series.
    I think the games' ownership goes to whoever distributed them. EA's belongs to EA, Activision's belongs to Activision and so on. But, the gaming license has always been in the hands of Danjaq (meaning it's a joint ownership between Eon and MGM), so they're the ones to allow or not allow a game to enter development or not.
    Curious what changed for Danjaq from the release of the last game until now to make them decide they don't want any made currently.
    The "Bond is not for kids" belief. And they believe video games are for kids. ;)
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    edited July 2018 Posts: 3,000
    Something I was thinking about today, does anyone have one of those VR headsets? Imagine a Bond game on one of them.

That would be amazing. In fact, that’s where remastered versions of the old games could really shine. It takes a great deal of graphical horsepower to render a game in VR, as everything has to be rendered twice into two separate images and the frame rate has to remain stable and high during all of this. That’s why a remaster of an old game is perfect; a slight upgrade to old graphics isn’t that graphically intensive and would be easily rendered in VR.
    The "Bond is not for kids" belief. And they believe video games are for kids. ;)

But LEGO Aston Martins are for refined adults am I right?
  • edited July 2018 Posts: 6,682
    A Bond VR game consisting of nothing but Bond's sexual exploits throughout the series. Shatters all video game sale records at a lightning pace.

Where do I preorder? Me and Ms. Adams have an appointment...
    For me I can safely say there are three reasons why no Bond game

1. Spy games are out of style: sure call of duty has some real world locations etc but for the most part games are about zombies and that’s about it . Espionage games despite having a renaissance in he mid 2000’s (with games like Mission Impossible Operation Sumera Everything or Nothing The first four splinter cel games etc) has petered out heck Ubisoft still won’t do anything regarding the next splinter cell game
    2. Outside IP are expensive: in playing Alpha Protocol it dawned on me many developers would rather create a James Bond Knock off then pay money to use 007 (the same is true for other games and IP) it’s no secrets a lot of the developers we want aren’t interested.

3. Danjaq doesn’t feel there is enough money: look they want the biggest bang for there buck I get it in the days of reselling games and a lack of an espionage market (see point 1) here just isn’t money to be made in the franchise which is an honest shame as I would happily put down 65 dollars or whatever it is for day one release of Colonel Sun for the Xbox one

Right now I hate to say it but are best options for a new game are as follows

1. Spy games to become the thing again
    2. Telltale or Curve to wow danjaq to take the chance

And that is it oh well we have our memories and 007 legends is at least a playable game unlike world of espionage so I guess we can just enjoy our memories and for those who didn’t get a certain console to find it at a local store and play the classic games they missed (for me it’s ps1 and 007 racing. Tomorrow Never dies and the Ps1 version of the world is not enough)
  • HASEROTHASEROT has returned like the tedious inevitability of an unloved season---
    Risico007 wrote: »
    Healthy is a bit of an over statement
    So let’s look in terms of quality and interest

Goldeneye 1997 was well recieved
    Tomorrow never dies was not
    The world is not enough was well recieved
    007 racing is not
    Agent under fire was well recieved
    Night fire was very well recieved
    Everything or nothing was well recieved
    Goldeneye rogue agent was not well recieved
    From Russia with Love sadly did not sell well even though it was good
    Quantum of solace was ok recieved
    Goldeneye reloaded was well recieved and was a good game
    Bloodstone was disappointingly recieved largely due to be mistake of making it the same time as goldeneye
    007 legends was portly recieved

So yeah we can point to Activision but the ups and downs of the franchise is really to blame ...

I would blame 007 legends 007 racing and Goldeneye rogue agent equally

Rushing to match a film would also be an issue but it can be done.

Plus a lack of interest in espionage games period is also a huge issue people want to shoot nameless zombies rather then get emersed in espionage

with these sorts of things - whether it be games or films - there isn't one singular thing you can point to as to being a reason - we as humans like to think there is, but it's not - it's a multitude of factors: game quality, how was the last game received?, release dates etc.... for the Bond franchise, it's a mixed bag.... EA might not have had a spotless track record, but looking back, the franchise was in much better hands with them - but things were trending south... Activision tried - we got GE:RL and BS from them (granted, it wasn't THEM that made those games - both were created by Eurocom and Bizzare Creations respectively) - but Activision took a chance, and both failed to meet expectations.. so when it it was time for 007 Legends, it was just purely a port of the graphics and engine from GE:RL, with no real attempt to make anything besides a run and gun of Bond's greatest hits.... but these games were coming in an era where studios were moving away from movie tie in games, because there simply was no money in it anymore.. and whether the games had original plots or not, people always associated the Bond games with the films - simply because of actors likenesses and times of release, etc.. the games really never developed a chance to stand on their own, within their own vacuum - they were always tethered to the hip of the films - and as such, the game studios did this purposely, to try and cash in on the success and hype surrounding a new movie... we also can't under estimate the importance of game quality too, and how that effects the next one coming down the line - if people weren't satisfied with one, the next one coming - especially if it's from the same studio, and looks the same - or like everything else they've done previously (COD cloning), then people aren't going to be impressed, and they'll avoid it..... word of mouth plays a big part in that as well - when 007 Legends came out, everyone trashed it - EVERYONE... if you are a gamer, but only a casual Bond fan, and everyone is telling you how trash a game is, why are you going to spend $60 for it?.....

i am kinda pressed for time at the moment - i'll end it here.... but there i've always said, Bond games can once again thrive, we just need a developer who gets it, and is willing to take a chance.. because it can be a lucrative IP - it just needs some TLC..
  • BMW_with_missilesBMW_with_missiles All the usual refinements.
    Very well said @haserot
  • mgeoff88mgeoff88 At a nice safehouse in Rome... Erm... Bay Area, CA
    The success of the HITMAN reboot in 2016 is proof that there is an audience for espionage games. There is even a sequel on the way that will be released in November of this year, which I pre-ordered.

Funny enough, the games feature exotic locales, beautiful women, gadgets, and iconic characters. Sound familiar?
  • mgeoff88mgeoff88 At a nice safehouse in Rome... Erm... Bay Area, CA
    Alpha Protocol failed to meet expectations, but despite that, the game has developed a loyal fan base years after it was released. The location on my profile is actually a reference to the beautiful safe house from that game.

The thing is, spies never go out of style. James Bond, Jason Bourne, and Ethan Hunt are still relevant today.

EON/Danjaq made a mistake by trying to get in on the mobile game craze, and we ended up with the worst licensed 007 game ever. So I do understand EON/Danjaq’s hesitation to let another game studio have a crack at the license, but in the right hands, James Bond would be a successful video game franchise.
    Shrugs I guess I might pick it up as I need my bond fix
    Driving Bond cars is always pretty fun.
  • Agent007391Agent007391 Up, Up, Down, Down, Left, Right, Left, Right, B, A, Start
    Gummy wrote: »

Except in 007 Racing.
    Gummy wrote: »

Except in 007 Racing.
    +1
    So do they have the license or is this a one time thing

Cause I would take 007 racing 2 at this point
    I think it's most likely a temporary thing. A brief add-on DLC whatever that will likely be deleted once the expiration date comes along.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 40,372
    I want a new Bond game as much as the next person, but a sequel to 007 Racing? No thanks. I wouldn't accept a bad installment just to say we got a new one. I figure it's inevitable that we'll get a new game SOME day, but it's just as easy to assume it'll never happen, either. Disappointing situation for sure.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    At least we have this. :D
    Don't forget this gem, either - Goldeneye and Nightfire have nothing on this award winner:

Don't forget this gem, either - Goldeneye and Nightfire have nothing on this award winner:

This is like a game in which they cut out all the parts in which you, well, play the game.
  • MurdockMurdock The minus world
    Speaking of World of Espionage. They sure modernized a lot of classic characters. Get a load of some of these. =))

Kerim Bey.
    350?cb=20161004150529

Sir Hillary Bray.
    350?cb=20161213181330

Dr. No
    350?cb=20160715171146

Mark Ruffalo err...I mean Largo.
    350?cb=20160731000936

Old Spice Guy....errr Quarrel.
    350?cb=20160715163824

Mr Wint.
    350?cb=20160721202737

Mr. Kidd.
    350?cb=20160721205249

And last but not least Groundskeeper Willy as Red Grant.=))
    350?cb=20160730182804
    I bet those are the game developers themselves, hamming it up to try to get some entertainment value out of developing this miserable game.

Also, look at Daniel Craig's face in the thumbnail of the YouTube video. You can clearly see him thinking "why am I stuck in this damned video game tie-in? Pierce gets GoldenEye and I get World of Espionage?! Don't do this to me, EON Productions. I need to know that I can trust you."
  • 00Agent00Agent Any man who drinks Dom Perignon '52 can't be all bad.
    Murdock wrote: »
    Speaking of World of Espionage. They sure modernized a lot of classic characters. Get a load of some of these. =))

Kerim Bey.
    350?cb=20161004150529

Sir Hillary Bray.
    350?cb=20161213181330

Dr. No
    350?cb=20160715171146

Mark Ruffalo err...I mean Largo.
    350?cb=20160731000936

Old Spice Guy....errr Quarrel.
    350?cb=20160715163824

Mr Wint.
    350?cb=20160721202737

Mr. Kidd.
    350?cb=20160721205249

And last but not least Groundskeeper Willy as Red Grant.=))
    350?cb=20160730182804

ZOPp7xY.gif
    Wow, that game looks atrocius. I was hoping for an announcement this year on a N64 mini. I’ve really enjoyed the Nes mini and SNES mini. Really wished for an N64 mini with Goldeneye!
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I'm still bummed that the remastered version of GoldenEye for the Xbox wasn't released.