No Time To Die: Production Diary

Comments

• matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    MooreFun wrote: »
    matt_u wrote: »
    In comparison with Craig, the other actors looked like puppets in the hand of the Broccoli.

It's just...where do I even begin?

Here we're talking about how much the actor who plays 007 is able to influence the production of those movies. Craig is a co-producer and he's even mentioned among the Broccoli in announcements regarding capital creative decisions for the franchise. Since Mendes4Lyfe mentioned Dalton and Brosnan being "fired", I was referring to those two actors. Simple.

I don't want to hurt anyone or criticize any Bond actor. If you really think Dalton and Brosnan had the same position and influence at EoN that has Craig at this moment, well okay then.
  • RemingtonRemington I'll do anything for a woman with a knife.
    I think if Brosnan had as much influence as Craig, he'd still be playing Bond.
  • JamesBondKenyaJamesBondKenya Danny Boyle laughs to himself
    Marc Forster literally said in an interview he would do another bond. Give him time, give him a good editor, and he will deliver a masterpiece. I don’t see what the other option is. This bart Layton fellow has barely directed any films, I don’t see why he should get it
  • bondjames wrote: »
    Could it be that there really wasn't such a great idea after all, but they had to leak it as such in order to justify why they were dropping P&W (after announcing them in July 2017) to go with Hodge?

I never believed Hodge & Boyle (or anyone connected to the project) had an idea that was so amazing it had to be kept top secret.

Remember the press conference for SKYFALL, when Mendes blathered on and on about the incredible script, how it was so unique to the series? We ended up with a shoddily written third act that the writers (P&W) admitted they stole from a John Buchan novel.
  • SeanCraigSeanCraig Germany
    Marc Forster literally said in an interview he would do another bond. Give him time, give him a good editor, and he will deliver a masterpiece.
    I agree. I was always a fan of QoS - despite the crazy editing. In my opinion he would be the right director right now since I think is able to blend action and adrenaline with art pretty well.
  • matt_umatt_u better known as Mr. Roark
    edited September 2018 Posts: 4,343
    How on Earth EoN should've give Forster a second chance after QoS ended up being the least successful Craig 007 and the worst received out of the last four?

Don't get me wrong, I really really like QoS and Forster did a good job out of all the problems that QoS had. But with QoS he already made his own unique "arty" James Bond movie. A sort of conceptual movie, faster than a bullet. I don't see what Forster could add at this point.

EoN needs fresh talent.
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 684
    Marc Forster literally said in an interview he would do another bond. Give him time, give him a good editor, and he will deliver a masterpiece. I don’t see what the other option is. This bart Layton fellow has barely directed any films, I don’t see why he should get it
    I think Forster makes a ton of sense, too, but I do also understand why he, if offered the chance now, might pass, given that it would once again mean jumping into a situation where time is not a luxury. Ironic, I guess, given that his experience in dealing with a rushed Bond production is what partly makes him an attractive option now. (If indeed Eon is still trying to meet the release date, which appears to be the case.)
    How on Earth EoN should've give Forster a second chance after QoS ended up being the least successful Craig 007 and the worst received out of the last four?
    Granted, this could be a reason why he doesn't return. But keep in mind that he was asked back at a point when QOS had yet to undergo the reappraisal its had in recent years, and that he himself has said he is interested. Some things which might be in the way of that, I suppose, are studio/distributor concerns, bad timing, or just time passing and a desire to move on. Although historically Eon never seems to have had much of a problem going back to directors and asking them to return.
    EoN needs fresh talent.
    This is also true. Given that Craig seems to be understandably particular on the choice of director, and the fact that this is his last Bond film, I'd have thought he would rather have gone for a return to something/someone known/established (within the Bond world or just generally in film) than an up-and-comer. That really appears to have been the case at one point (Villenueve and Boyle). But maybe I've got it wrong, and he's not. Maybe it's a case of him now being willing to, given the circumstances. I'm open to it if he is.
  • ResurrectionResurrection Kolkata, India
    edited September 2018 Posts: 2,541
    Escalus5 wrote: »
    bondjames wrote: »
    Could it be that there really wasn't such a great idea after all, but they had to leak it as such in order to justify why they were dropping P&W (after announcing them in July 2017) to go with Hodge?

I never believed Hodge & Boyle (or anyone connected to the project) had an idea that was so amazing it had to be kept top secret.

Remember the press conference for SKYFALL, when Mendes blathered on and on about the incredible script, how it was so unique to the series? We ended up with a shoddily written third act that the writers (P&W) admitted they stole from a John Buchan novel.

There is a big difference between stolen and inspiring from. It's not stolen if they acknowledge it.
  • talos7talos7 New Orleans
    SeanCraig wrote: »
    Marc Forster literally said in an interview he would do another bond. Give him time, give him a good editor, and he will deliver a masterpiece.
    I agree. I was always a fan of QoS - despite the crazy editing. In my opinion he would be the right director right now since I think is able to blend action and adrenaline with art pretty well.

Yes and yes!

• Agreed on Forster being an attractive option. He wasn't the primary issue with Quantum ( which, admittedly, I've always enjoyed well enough, and currently think its Craig's second best). But also agreed that I can understand him passing.
  • Mendes4LyfeMendes4Lyfe The long road ahead
    For now, for what we know, a Craigexit is off the table. Since the release date is still October 2019, speculating about this stuff is just nonsense.

All I'm saying is three times the Bond series has had a gap four years or longer, and two of those times the lead role was recast. Craig is now 50, and depending on whether this project gets delayed, and for how long, it's possible he doesn't want to come back. If we have to accept that everything is going swimmingly as a possibility, then we should consider others as well.
  • DarthDimiDarthDimi Behind you!Moderator
    For now, for what we know, a Craigexit is off the table. Since the release date is still October 2019, speculating about this stuff is just nonsense.

All I'm saying is three times the Bond series has had a gap four years or longer, and two of those times the lead role was recast. Craig is now 50, and depending on whether this project gets delayed, and for how long, it's possible he doesn't want to come back. If we have to accept that everything is going swimmingly as a possibility, then we should consider others as well.

I think that's a fair comment but I also agree with @matt_u that Craig is almost certainly going to stay on board for B25.
    DarthDimi wrote: »

I think that's a fair comment but I also agree with @matt_u that Craig is almost certainly going to stay on board for B25.

That's fine, I'm just saying it's a growing possibility. Until we get an official director announcement, and things visibly seem to be ramping up, I won't rule it out.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    DarthDimi wrote: »

That's fine, I'm just saying it's a growing possibility. Until we get an official director announcement, and things visibly seem to be ramping up, I won't rule it out.
    I'd strongly prefer it frankly, but concede that it's unlikely, even with this recent snafu and even with the prospect of a delay. He's contracted for one more and by all accounts wants to fulfill his obligation. It's a one film distribution deal too, and more than anything with this P&W news seems more like an ending than a renewed beginning.
    Yeah, can't see a recast happening either – even with a delay. EON would even need to have the next guy in mind before even considering it, which is also unlikely.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    edited September 2018 Posts: 1,755
    @007inLA on Twitter is reporting than Kenneth Brannagh is currently using the 007 stage for his Death on the Nile movie. They also reported that they heard two different rumors reporting that B25 sets are being torn down, while the other contradicts that statement.
  • ClarkDevlinClarkDevlin Martinis, Girls and Guns
    ...as in B25 sets are being torn down? or sets are being torn down to make way for B25?
  • edited September 2018 Posts: 17,272
    DonnyDB5 wrote: »
    @007inLA on Twitter is reporting than Kenneth Brannagh is currently using the 007 stage for his Death on the Nile movie. They also reported that they heard two different rumors reporting that sets are being torn down, while the other contradicts that statement.

Thanks! Nothing to draw conclusions from still, then. Having other films being shot at the 007 stage at this point isn't strange at all.
  • DonnyDB5DonnyDB5 Buffalo, New York
    ...as in B25 sets are being torn down? or sets are being torn down to make way for B25?

B25 sets. Sorry for being vague.

Nothing much to take from this. For example, how many sets are taken down? Are they taken down for good or for just alterations depending on the script? Also, given two sources are telling different things, we don't know how much is true or not.
    If Bond 25 sets are being torn down, that's not a good sign.
  • ThunderfingerThunderfinger Das Boot Hill

Why not? It would mean they know they will be using different sets.
    Barbara, was alianating Danny Boyle worth it?
    edited September 2018 Posts: 8,078

Why not? It would mean they know they will be using different sets.

It means they have given up on ideas they had previously commited to. In other words, they still aren't sure what the story is. Otherwise they would just adapt it to fit in the existing sets, like they have done previously.
  • bondjamesbondjames You were expecting someone else?
    Nothing has been taken down yet. Just opinions on whether or not sets will be taken down. I suppose we should wait for confirmation either way.
    That's why I said if.
  • RichardTheBruceRichardTheBruce I'm motivated by my Duty.
    edited September 2018 Posts: 12,988
    Could be the Highway to Heaven. Or it might be the Road to Ruin.

I'm thinking highway.
    pic161.png
    You know what? I have a good feeling about all of this this. Really. Don't ask me why. Now if only they would ditch that Russian baddie/Mahori Henchman ideia/cliché, and the Namibia locations (yes, its beautiful, but I keep getting Tomb Raider Cradle of Life flashbacks - yes, I know it was Kenya and poorly done), I'd be even happier. But I guess they are ditching all of that. Well, if so, good. P&W back, oh well, family, what can we do? But really, a good feeling about it all.
  • I've done some detective work and I think Bart Layton has the job.

1.) Well, he confirmed that he's in "discussions" with Eon. That sounds pretty definitive.

2.) In this podcast with Edith Bowman, he openly and happily talks about his next projects which is about a man pretending to be something he isn't in Trump's America. There is no mention of Bond. I assume the interview might have been recorded before the Bond rumours: https://l.instagram.com/?u=http://www.edithbowman.com/&e=ATPDyYyCgE_g4laYckYsRBwgmjPic3qQsrcaHqLISrxj1nbLf_InLiotDBTn3xs1L_ROyk2wldVM3Pqn

3.) In this more recent interview, his new project is suddenly much more secretive and something he can't talk about. He also mentions Bond and how he has been bitten by the bug of action films:

4.) He's a writer-director. Something Eon are actively seeking to tinker with the script.

I think Layton must have been in meetings all week and as @ColonelSun has suggested this must have been him closing the deal before confirmation next week.

The alternative is a little more depressing. We are closing in on a month on Tuesday since Boyle left Bond 25. I know Deadline said Eon have 60 days to fill the director's seat, but not only are they nearly halfway into that time, but there are so many other worrying indicators emerging (sets being taken down, Craig signing on to other projects, the old script being thrown out) that pretty much confirm it's delayed.

Either I'm deluding myself or Layton is the director.
    Univex wrote: »
    You know what? I have a good feeling about all of this this. Really. Don't ask me why. Now if only they would ditch that Russian baddie/Mahori Henchman ideia/cliché, and the Namibia locations (yes, its beautiful, but I keep getting Tomb Raider Cradle of Life flashbacks - yes, I know it was Kenya and poorly done), I'd be even happier. But I guess they are ditching all of that. Well, if so, good. P&W back, oh well, family, what can we do? But really, a good feeling about it all.

Not too bothered with the Russian baddie/Mahori Henchman idea myself, but as you I choose to stay positive until it's impossible to be so. Any of the director names mentioned lately looks interesting enough to me – although different writers than Purvis/Wade could have been interesting. Oh, well.